Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• does this affect all outlanders sold in North america? or just US alone? thanks for the info
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 898
    The notice is from Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) you could try the number to see if yours is affected. I would guess it affects all areas.
  • US(certain states) and canada is having a recall for 2007-2008 outlanders built prior to jan 2008, it's regarding the wires under the front seats that might cause fire due to corrosion. contact mitsu # given by toomayfumes or go to this link for details

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

hope this helps
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,862
    You'll have to go to the main page and drill down - your link won't get you to the Outlander results. You have to start at the recall search page.

A shortcut would be to put in the NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number of 08V094000.

I guess this is a big deal if your Outlander is at risk for catching fire, but in the overall scheme of things, ~5400 affected vehicles is pretty small. GM & Toyota recalled over 600,000 cars this week (Reuters).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• comem47comem47 Posts: 394
    I also see you can get a summary of TSBs from this site (but must pay for details).
    Anyone know that the tow hitch TSB is about? I already had the driveability TSBs applied

Make : MITSUBISHI Model : OUTLANDER Year : 2007
    Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Service Bulletin Number : 0651002 Date of Bulletin : NOV 22, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10020985
    Component : OTHER
    Summary :
    ACCESORY TOW HITCH INSTALLATION. *KB
    Sometimes the details are free at the NHTSA but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why they give you some free and charge for others.

It'd be my luck to pay for one, and have the TSB read "please correct the spelling of Mitsubishi on page 6 of the Owner's Manual".

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• comem47comem47 Posts: 394
    I guess I'll ask what the tow hitch thing is about when I have the power seat connector
    addressed (got my notice in the mail a few minutes ago). I installed the factory hitch myself (and fog lights) from a discounted Mitsu dealer on the internet as my LS didn't come with either (and I wasn't up for paying retail plus install costs). While at it I'm going to see if they can explain why the oil service reset does not reset properly (I've changed the oil twice myself and the service interval number keeps jumping up, not down when I activate it. (It now says something like 16.5K till the next service) If it's a special thing that only they can do then I'll just live with it (I do my own synthetic oil changes and have no desire to pay more and drive the distance for them to do it.)
  • carstalkcarstalk Posts: 16
    Recall for power seat harness connector is applicable to 07 Outlander registered in specific states listed, not for all US.

I can't find the TSB for tow hitch. Would someone post it if you have a soft copy? Thx.

Make : MITSUBISHI Model : OUTLANDER Year : 2007
    Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date : FEB 21, 2008
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08V094000
    N/A
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: SEATS
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 5400
    Summary:
    MITSUBISHI IS RECALLING 5,400 MY 2007-2008 OUTLANDER PASSENGER VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, VIRGINIA, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT AN ELECTRIC POWER SEAT, THE FLOOR HARNESS CONNECTOR FOR THE POWER SEAT IS PLACED DIRECTLY ON THE FLOORBOARD UNDERNEATH THE CARPETING (VEHICLES WITH POWER SEATS ALREADY HAVE THE HARNESS ELEVATED). IF A VEHICLE OCCUPANT ENTERS THE VEHICLE WITH A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF SNOW ON THEIR FEET CONTAINING ROAD SALT, IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE MELTED SNOW MIXTURE TO SOAK THE CARPET AND ALLOW THE SALT-WATER SOLUTION TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE UNUSED POWER SEAT HARNESS CONNECTOR.
    Consequence:
    THE CONNECTOR TERMINAL MAY CORRODE AND ALLOW CURRENT TO FLOW, RESULTING IN THE GRADUAL HEATING AND MELTING OF THE CONNECTOR AND MAY RESULT IN A FIRE.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL RELOCATE THE FLOOR HARNESS FROM BENEATH BOTH THE PASSENGER AND DRIVER SEATS TO ABOVE THE CARPET AND AWAY FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE FLOORBOARD TO PREVENT CONTACT WITH ANY FUTURE MELT SOLUTION. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 7, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MITSUBISHI AT 1-800-222-0037.
    Notes:
    CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    The replacement of fluids in the Outlander is of paramount importance that these tasks can be done by everybody with a bit of handy skills and a few tools that can be bought in Wal-Mart. Some fluids can be bought from any garage and some has to be bought from a Mitsubishi garage. Mitsubishi also sell a workshop manual for each Mitsubishi model. Part department can help.

Fluids that we need to buy from a Mitsubishi garage (with the exception of the engine oil) are:

1- Rear axle fluid (limited differential)
    2- Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
    3- Transfer Case Fluid
    4- Steering (wheel) fluid
    5- Coolant fluid

You can have from any garage the following:

1- Engine oil e.g. 5W-30 (the grade of the oil is in your owner manual)
    2- Brake fluid (e.g. 4 DOT)

Other items can be also bought form a Mitsubishi garage:

1- Oil filter
    2- Air filter (engine)
    3- Air filter (interior)
    4- Spark plugs (platinum) - can be bought from any garages. Specifications are needed.
    5- Ignition cables (this job better to be done by a Mitsubishi technician)
    6- Timing belt (this job better to be done by a Mitsubishi technician)
    7- Drive belts (this job better to be done by a Mitsubishi technician)
    8- Disc brake pads kits

A lot of money can be saved and the warranty of the vehicle is not undermined as far as you keep the invoices of the items you bought.
    These are my suggestions about fluids in the Outlander (Change according vehicle mileage).

Oil Engine: 10W-40 or 10W-30 or 5W-30 or 5W-40. Change every 6000 miles (new filter + new gasket). Buy from any garage.
    ATF: Diamond ATF SP-III or SK ATF SP-III (from Mitsubishi dealership)
    Rear Axle Oil: SAE 80W/90 (API-GL5) e.g. Shell Spirax.
    Transfer Case: SAE 80W/90 (API-GL5) e.g. Shell Spirax.
    Power Steering: PSF-III or PSF-IV (very low temperatures). Buy from Mitsubishi dealership.
    Brake: DOT 4 (Buy from any garage)
    Coolant: Ethylene glycol base for aluminum radiator. Buy from Mitsubishi dealership.
    You may use a multipurpose grease NIGL grade # 2 for the following:

parking brake cable mechanism,
    hood,
    door latches
    seat adjuster,
    tailgate latch
    door hinges, and
    tailgate hinge.
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    Anyone in Canada received the letter?
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    Check out the price for 15,000 mile maintenance:

http://www.kirkwoodmitsubishi.com/docs/documents/REGULARMAINTENANCEMITSUBISHImen- u.pdf

Includes;
    Nitro fill in tires,
    BG MOA oil fortifier,
    Power Steering flush,
    Air Induction Service,
    Clean & Adjust rear brakes.

What a rip-off.

I declined the $391 service and went to a certified ASE shop.
  • piastpiast Posts: 269
    You did good.
    The 15k service for an 07 Outlander should cost $129.53 for my zip code according to the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Does anybody know the value of the standard torque applied to the tires (wheel nut) of a 2008 Outlander 18” wheels?

Does anybody know the value of the standard torque applied to oil plug (sealer) of a 2008 Outlander V6?

Does anybody know the value of the standard torque applied to the oil filter canister of a 2008 Outlander V6?

Thanks,
  • maryj786maryj786 Posts: 2
    I bought my new 2007 Outlander back in Oct/07 here in Canada. I did receive the harness recall notice and took it into the local dealer here in Victoria,BC. Since it was due for a 12,000km warranty service, I had them take care of it which in turn turned into a problem. The mechanic noticed an oil leak coming form the front of the engine around the crankshaft area that was dripping onto the oil pan. They proceeded to investigate by opening up the front engine compartment, etc and found after even more dismantling that an entire O-RING had not been installed at all during the building of my vehicle. In turn Japan head office was notified of the problem and I am waiting to find out if any other vehicles may have suffered the same dilemma as mine has. Over all, I love my Outlander. I also own a 2004 Galant bought New.It's been the best long distance highway trip car I've ever had.
    I would suggest that all 2007 Outlander owners examine the vehicle's engine compartment to check for a frontal oil leak or have the mechanic inspect it during your next oil change. It could effect a recall on some of the other Outlanders.
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    Did you notice any oil drip on the ground or the oil wouldn't reach the ground so you wouldn't know unless you put the car on the hoist and closely inspect?
  • maryj786maryj786 Posts: 2
    I didn't notice any new drip as it was parked on the gravelled part of the driveway. The lealer's mechanic noticed the leak when it was put up onto the hoist to rotate the tires, check the brakes and change the oil. They were shocked. It's the first reported case of such a problem. It's been fixed now.
  • wwomackwwomack Posts: 2
    The driver door window motor sounds like it is working, but the window has come off track or something and will not go up or down. Can I fix this myself? And if I can... Are there any improtant points to make it as easy as possible or special tools I need that you can share with me for my daughter and I to do the job? thank you for your time and this resource w womack
  • mitsubadmitsubad Posts: 2
    I know what you are going threw, I was the one who started the recall on the wiring harness. My suv filled with smoke with my son in his car seat, I got him out and disconnected the battery and saved the truck and thats the start of my problems. Mitsubishi had two tecks from japan and two from California fly in to look at my suv. The fix thay came up with was to relocate the wiring harness and replace the carpet. My truck was 3 months old and smelled like smoke. I asked the rep to replace my truck with a new one and they would not. The dealer offered to replace it with a equal truck but they could not find one . I gave up! I asked them to shampoo it one more time, which they did and also put a dent in the passenger side door (trip to body shop).I also had to bring it in for a loose part in the rear suspension (I feel safe now) Now as I speak to you I am in the mitts of another possible re call (I guess I'm good at starting re calls)The rear driverside window can come off the track and open outside the truck. To chek this out, pull lightly on the top of the rear window of your outlander toward the back of the viehical it will come out of the track This can happen all by it's self, If you try to roll it up or down it will scrach the paint on your door and it can stop you from opening the front door by blocking it. The window can roll out the door exposing the window mechanism(not so good) I have had rentals and have been out of my truck for well over two weeks
  • archquarkarchquark Posts: 14
    My wife pulled into the garage last night after a short trip into town with our 2007 Outlander XLS 4WD and said the gauges and trip computer/fault indication screen had died on the way home. I checked the fuse indicated in owners manual for guages but found it ok. After replacing fuse I noted that screen had returned but now had diagnostic fault icon (engine) in upper right. I drove vehicle down street but was unable to go over 20 kmh. At this point I noticed ASC icon was indicating it was in off state, attempts to return it to normal did not help. I contacted a GM mechanical technician friend who stated that it sounded like a ground fault or component failure. I have had vehicle towed to local Mitsubishi dealer but wondered if anyone has had a similar problem. Vehicle has had no problems up to now with 30,000 km and getting average of 27.5 km per Imperial gallon.
    I changed the engine oil in my Outlander XLS at 1,000 miles. The Japanese OEM oil filter is fatter than the equivalent oil filter for the American market. Initially I thought to change the original filter for the equivalent American filter when I realized that the Japanese filter should be replaced every 15,000 miles for a car without severe driving. We American have been told to change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. The American filter that looks sub-standard has been made for these frequent oil changes.

I wouldn’t have any problem in changing the filter every time that I change the oil, however the oil filter is in an awful location and it is not easy to remove. The worst thing is the spilling of oil from the filter onto the starter motor which is very close to the filter location. Frequent and careless changes of the oil filter will eventually shorten the life of the starter motor. Oil spilled from the filter cannot be avoided in many situations. My advice in this situation could be to keep the OEM Japanese filter as long as possible (15,000 miles or 20,000 miles) and after then use the American sub-standard filter every 7,500 miles with each change of oil with special care about spilling oil on the starter motor. I use synthetic motor oil 5W-20 and 7,500 or 8,500 miles is just fine for a routine change of oil for my Outlander.
  • gene_vgene_v Posts: 235
    Has anyone replaced thecabin filter? I understand its under the glove compartment.

Difficult?
  • mrmyklmrmykl Posts: 1
    I'm having this same problem...my driver side window is not rolling up, motor is making noise as if it's working. Pulled the door trim and window appears to be in proper position...anyone else have this problem or having had this problem had it fixed??? thanks! m schaerer
  • wwomackwwomack Posts: 2
    yes It is the regulator and I replaced it. Cost $85 and one hour labor.
    3 little screws hold the door panel then you can gently pull the panel to unsnap. Disconnect electrical. remove whether shield. and found that the cable had frayed. unbolted regulator and removed it.

Wish you well God Bless Scott
  • You must have found it by now...It's right where you were describing....Make sure that you put a NEW drain plug crush washer on the drain plug before tightening and re-filling with oil. They are only good for one time.
    ...They cost $2 each at Mitsu parts...
  • If any Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 and newer owners are having problems with the rear passenger windows coming out of the track and or opening out of the window opening to the exterior of the vehicle please report this to the ministry of transportation at 1 800 333 2510 and ask to talk to a default investigator. This problem as of this note has not been properly resolved by Mitsubishi Canada and the repair that they have sent out to the dealers, in my mind is a bandage and dose not resolve the issue. I do not want to wait until somebody gets hurt! My window has opened out of my suv two times now and has resulted in paint and gasket damage. My kids sit in the back and they could get hurt. Please report this so a permanent repair is made.
  • Has anyone installed the parts of the protection package themselves? I would like to just get the rear bumper cover and the mud guards, but I wasn't sure if the mud guard installation was clean (just using existing screws in the wheel well, etc.)

Thanks.
  • also how does the bumper scuff plate get attached?