Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Xterra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a daughter with an X-Terra, about 4 years old. She got an estimate for break work that I believe is to replace pads on all 4 wheels. I am uncertain about rotors, don't even know if this vehicle is all wheel disc or not, but I suspect estimate of $750 includes rotor replacement. I have replaced many brake pads and rotors, but never on an SUV. What is the process? Similar to other vehicles in that you remove two bolts on each caliper to remove the caliper and then pads, and then remove the rotors without much further ado? If the rear wheels are drum, remove the drums in the traditional way and then the shoes that will be loosely connected to be removed as an assembly connected by springs? Is there something about the price of parts that makes this worth $750? Any insight will be appreciated. I am trying to determine if I should make a 300 mile round trip to do this myself.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Hard to imagine that it would be worth you driving 300 miles and all your drive and fix time. Price sounds very high, I'd have her go another service location. Many many places do brakes. With a 4 year old vehicle, would doubt that she'd really need anything done to the rears. I would expect to do front pads, and replace rotors only if she wore the pads down to wear the gouged the rotors. You can check parts costs where you are (and I don't know the prices for an X-Terra) but I would expect front pad set costs about 30 bucks, and rotors 30-60 bucks each (if needed).

They're probably quoting to do the rears as well, because they don't know if they'll need anything to replace until they take the wheels off.
  • mcwoods2mcwoods2 Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried one of these systems? Is it worth the effort? I am looking for little more power and mileage.
  • rbinctrbinct Posts: 1
    Hi- My first post here!
    When starting and driving my auto trans X after being parked a while, once you hit 15 miles an hour (seems to be shifting gears at this point)there is a clunk in the engine. Only happens once after it's been parked. Dealer svc has greased and lubed everything and tightened a Uclamp and everything else they can find and it STILL happens. Any ideas of what is causing and more importantly- how can it be fixed?
    Thanks so much! RBinCT
  • xtierraxtierra Posts: 55
    i had a similar concern with my 05 xterra, and after reading all the posts on xterraownersclub.com and my dealership explaining that its the computer checking some type of system and you will hear that clinck..sound.. no need to worry. i am at 72,000 miles and everything o.k.
  • xterrablexterrable Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000 Xterra. I had the same hose go out on me a few years back. I took it to a friend who is qualified to work on AC's. (The dealers are certified but pathetic!) But now I have another problem. The compressor clutch started not working intermittently and I figured maybe the freon charge had leaked down to a point where there is just barely enough to allow the compressor to come on. The guys up on the corner put the gauges on and it was low, so I had it evacuated and recharged and by the end of the next day it started acting up again. They said they couldn't find a leak anywhere but noticed the fan wasn't working in front of the radiator. He said the fuses both were good and the relay checks out ok. In fact I swapped the other one myself under the cover with the one just like it to make sure. Then I checked the fuses myself with a meter to make sure. I made the fan come on by connecting jumpers from the plug to the battery terminal. It came on but it didn't spin up at the speed that it normally runs. There are four pins so it's probably a 2 speed motor. I tried different combinations to see if it would run at high speed but no luck. Usually the fan runs when the button is pushed on the dash to turn the a/c on, but there is no voltage at the harness end of the connector for the fan. The dealer lied and said the fan is working ok. It's been 4 days now and I haven't seen or heard it come on yet! They also said the high pressure hose is leaking. I said go ahead and order the hose and I'll have my friend put it on and charge it back up. So they ordered the hose and it looks like the wrong one! We crawled all over the place, under the dash and everything looking for the hose and we couldn't find it, so now I have to make a road trip back to Nissian to get the right one. (That hose ain't cheep either! $155 bucks!)
    I've already given the guys on the corner $168 to charge it, and the dealer $260 to diagnose it, change the oil, and for the hose. So were almost at $400 and we still aren't fixed.
    My friend came by and put the sniffer on the system and couldn't find any leaks. We took the black light and found some dye around the high pressure hose compression fitting but couldn't see any drips or see and feel any evidence of oil around the suspected leak. Almost as though someone smeared dye around the fitting and said, ooops! there's the leak...right there! This whole thing is wearing on my patience. The a/c will never work right until the fan starts turning. Seems to me the dealer boys are too lazy to get out the book and trace the problem back or call their tech support and get some help. As soon as I can find a vehicle that I like better that suits my needs I will trade it in and buy something other than a Nissan. But, in the mean time I need to get this issue fixed. Has any one had problems with the fan. If you found the fix I'd like to hear from you!
  • pete408pete408 Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Xterra (Off Road Version, 6sp manual, about 13000 miles on it). I've seem the same thing with the VDC/SLIP lights coming on once in awhile. The dealer was useless. They said they captured the condition code but could find nothing wrong. Said to bring it in if it happens again. It happens every few weeks or so. I haven't brought it back yet. I figure if Nissan doesn't acknowlege a problem, I'll just build a paper trail with the dealership in case something big fails later that might be tied back to this problem. Anyone know if Nissan has a TSB open on this?
  • mithunmithun Posts: 1
    Hello all:
    This is the first post for me as I just joined this forum. I have 2006 Xterra 1ith 11484 miles on it and it just started making rattling sound that seems to be coming through glove compartment. I removed all loose objects from my car and after I drive for 20min the rattle sound seems to be coming from glove comportment or somewhere around that area! I tried my best to focus while driving to see where the noise is coming from but could not find the exact location. I took it to dealer today and they said it might be due to hot temperature outside, they put some insulation around AC cables, speaker lines but the problem still persists. It is intermittant now but Ican still hear rattle sound. I will be taking it to the dealer again tomorrow but if anyone had this problem before could you please share information with me?

Thanks.
    Mithun
  • mwb1mwb1 Posts: 2
    I too have an '06 manual - This was one of the most irritating new car issues I have ever experienced. The dealer cannot do anything and each time I went they said the same thing - come back with the light on. But each time the computer would not register. On the 10th visit it finally registered. They found a computer chip in the steering column was faulty. Perhaps you can aim them in the same direction. It would have been very expensive to replace so don't wait too long.
  • pete408pete408 Posts: 2
    I think my dealership isn't too good at this stuff as they said they had the error code captured when I last brought it in. However, they said everything looked good so they reset the code. And, it happens every once in awhile. I just don't have the cycles to drop what I'm doing when the light comes on to race to the dealership at least right now. I wonder if I'll have to leave the engine running as well lest the thing clears itself when I cycle the key. Seems like a common problem Nissan ought to know how to fix. Glad to hear they fixed your issue.
  • I think you are just being picky it sounds like
  • Yes that price is way too much. Try to get someone to do it themselves. The parts don't justify the total cost that's for sure
  • That happens to me all the time even after parking it 8 hours. What the is is the antil-lock brakes self checking itself. That is normal
  • Boris2Boris2 Posts: 177
    Anybody knows where to get a copy of the maintenance schedule for '07 xterra? I suppose I can ask a dealer to fax it to me, but if it's available online somwhere that would be nice. I'm trying to figure out what services needed to be done when and how much it costs and what I should be able to do myself and what I will need to bring it in. thanks!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
    Try the Edmunds Maintenance Guide for schedules and what maintenance should cost in your zip code. And check out Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online too.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• cjs3cjs3 Posts: 1
    I just started having the same problem with my 2006 xterra with 11000 miles on it. Did you find out anything at the dealer?

Thanks,

Carter
  • I have a 2006 S with 4500 miles and I get the same rattling sound behind the glove. I also get rattling sounds when my windows on the drivers side is half way down. has anyone experienced this issue?

thanks!
  • The dealer had no clue what it was. Turns out that it was the rubber knobs on the hood were screwed in too tightly. So after three trips to the shop, they just needed to loosen the rubber knobs that are on the corners of the inside of the hood. No more annoying squeaks.
  • Hi:
    I had rattling on my passenger side window. The dealer just had to adjust something in the power window mechanism. Just have the mechanic test drive it so he can hear the sound. It's all under warranty. Is the rattling sound behind the glove box a squeak or a rattle. I had some squeaking issues but not rattling issues.
  • jahnu04jahnu04 Posts: 58
    I own a 2000 Xterra that has 56K miles on it. For the past couple of weeks, I have started feeling light pulses in the steering wheel when I make a U-turn or sharp left turns. Don't feel those pulses during right turns. I had the brake job done at 50K. Does anyone know what could be causing these pulses? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • My brother has an a/c issue. I replaced the expansion valve and charged, no help. I think its electrical or weak clutch.
  • My brother also has a 2000 Xterra. The A/C kicks out intermittently. I put the guages on it and found the low side pressure was a little high. I suspected the expansion valve was hanging to far open so I changed. Pulled a vacuum on the system, charged with nitrogen, no leaks. Evacuated and charged and did not cure the problem. When the switch is first turned on the clutch won't engage right away and then when it does the condenser fan has a short delay and then turns on. After the a/c is on, if you shut it off then on again the clutch and fan work instantly but will shut off when you drive.
  • I am looking at buying a sharp '03 Xterra Supercharged. It is in good condition with 41K miles. I test drove it the day they got it on the lot - they told me there was a noise I'd hear. Nissan looked at it - it is a knock sensor problem and will be covered under factory warranty. Is this a significant problem and should I be leery of buying this vehicle?

Also, can anyone comment on gas mileage with a Supercharged version?
  • I have the exact same problem with mine. The fan doesn't come on with the a/c and it runs intermittently. The high side hose on mine looks like it has leaked, but it hasn't. I evacuated and recharged three weekends in a row and the same result; just a little low(could have been the machine) and no leaks. I added dye every time and couldn't find any leaks at all. I work right next to a Nissan dealership and they have no clue. It has to be electrical, because when it comes on it does blow very cold, but it just won't come on all the time.

I'm also having(in the past two days) a problem with the engine missing(BAD). Has anyone had problems with ignition coils and what not? I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor button and it still missed. Then it decided to run fine after I had blown the dust out of the distributor. But it's missed a couple of time after that, but nowhere near as bad as it did the first time. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Hi. I'm a noobie here. I have a 2005 Xterra and want to replace my radio. I've searched this site but cannot find anything. I cannot see what holds the radio in the dash. Can anyone tell me where to start to remove the radio? Thanks.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    If the Xterra is like the Frontier (which I imagine they are), pull up on the rubber tray atop the dash and it'll expose a screw. Remove the screw, and the radio and trim will pull out. I'd disconnect the battery before you begin because some people have somehow triggered the passenger airbag warning light doing this and it stays on.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    I think there's a 'TSB' (Technical Service Bulletin) covering this issue on Frontier, so maybe the same thing prevails on Xterra. It's a simple fix and employs a special lubricant that I once read was not applied by the part manufacturer.
  • there are no screws that hold the dash that the radio sits inside. before you remove that dash area, have a towel over the stick shift because you are going to rest the dash on top of that and you dont want to scratch your dash. dont remove any of the wires for the a/c or any of the wires that are attached to the bottom of the dash area. it will simply give you more to do. the dash is removed from the top area and then the bottom above the lighter switch. remember you will damage your dash if you stick a screw driver and try to use it to pop the dash. i used both my hands at the same time and grabed the 2 areas where you have the tray for stuff.. and pull up towards you. when it pops out, the bottom of the dash below the a/c controls pops out. when replacing the dash to original area . the top goes on first. once you have removed the dash, you will see the screws that hold the radio. good luck
  • I just replaced my factory CD player/radio last week. One of the replies to your question by xtierra says there are no screws that hold the dash in, but that's not the case on my Xterra. I have a 2001 SE. The dash itself doesn't need to be removed to replace the radio, just the small plastic housing around the center column that holds your radio, ashtray, and cigarette lighter. Here's how it goes:

1. Disconnect the negative terminal of your car's battery BEFORE you do anything else. Take the ashtray out, by opening it, pushing the metal clip that says "Open" on it and pushing the whole ashtray down. It should pop out easily.

2. Inside the cavity where the ashtray was, there are 2 small screws: remove those.

3. The center column plastic molding should be removed next. This part doesn't require any screw removal - just grab the bottom of the plastic housing the radio and cigarette lighter and pull out. There are two clips at the top that require a little extra force to pull out. It should come out easily by hand after the 2 screws in step 2 are removed.

4. On the back of the center column housing you just removed, unplug the cigarette lighter harness that supplies power to the lighter.

5. Look at the sides of your radio: there are 4 screws on brackets on the sides of the radio, 2 on each side. These are the screws that hold your radio in and also provide the electrical ground. Remove these screws.

6. The radio unit should pull out easily after the 4 screws are removed. Remove the wire harnesses on the back of the radio, usually by pushing in a little clip on the harness body with a flat head screwdriver. This part is annoyingly difficult. If you get frustrated DO NOT cut any wires or you will void your car's ENTIRE warranty.

7. Your new radio should come with installation instructions; if you use the same brackets that attached the original radio to your Xterra to install the new radio, the radio will be electrically grounded (at least on the model I have, YMMV).

I found this website to be very helpful: http://installdr.com/ has lots of .pdf files for radio installation on newer-model Nissans.

Good luck!