Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Xterra Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• chukar1chukar1 Posts: 7
    took our 2009 xterra in for its first oil change at the local nissan dealer. We had bought it out of town. Drove it home, noticed smoke, I mean a lot of smoke coming out from under the engine. Popped the hood, spilled oil from the change all over the engine, but the oil cap was on. Whoever changed it was a total slob. Let the car cool and then checked the dip stick, WAY over filled, above the top line. Rechecked the receipt and they had put 6 qts in instead of the 5 3/8 max that Nissan calls for. I called them and on Monday took it down (of course this all happens on saturday pm). It was like pulling teeth to get them to drain the oil and put the appropriate amount in. Has anyone ever had a service manager tell them "it doesn't matter it its overfilled with 1/2 quart". I about dropped. Do you have to take it to the dealer to get regular oil change maintenence done and still have the warranty be in effect? I think our local Jiffy Lube does a better job. Anybody ideas?
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    It seems that many places overfill engine oil, dealers or other. Yep, it's hard on engine seals because the system overpressures. There's no excuse for a dealer though as they work on the same models all day long. I read a marketing statistic that said most people that change their own oil do so NOT to save money, but do so in order that the job is done right.

I let the dealer do all of the warranty-required oil changes to avert a warranty fight should an issue surface. The law is on your side if you let someone else do it or do it yourself, but you must keep all the receipts and be prepared for a bigger fight if something happens. I do all of my intermediate oil changes (every 3,750 Miles) myself and have for 30 years. I use factory filters to keep the changes I do a secret to the Dealer.
  • tuan9591tuan9591 Posts: 1
    I have 2002 nissan xterra. 125k miles. 6 cylinder. last nite while i was driving my car suddenly the (service engine soon) light on and @ the same time the overheat meter on to max hot. I really dont know wat is goin on. Anyone here has known this problem before please tell me wat to do.
    Sincerely
    tony
  • deecee5deecee5 Posts: 6
    Hi - I'm the original owner of a 2000 Xterra SE 4x4. Lately, my speedo, tach and temp gauge intermittantly stop working. I've heard this can be a circuit breaker in the instrument panel that goes bad. Any ideas? Has anybody had this problems and fixed it themselves or had the dealer do it. Thanks, DC
  • xtierraxtierra Posts: 55
    replacing the cerpentine belt is very easy..... you must remove the air filter box and the nissan plastic cover on top of engine if your model came with it..
    i used my cell phone to take a picture of how the belt went on...... (your manual has a drawing).
    i used a socket wrench (normal size)-the square piece where you put the various size fittings that attach to the wrench....will fit into the square hole on the pulley.... you simply push your square fitting into it and push down.... this will release the preassure and allow the belt to come off..... that is very easy.... it just takes a little time to remove air filter box and engine cover.
  • Boris2Boris2 Posts: 177
    Thanks! I was a bit concerned about removing the air filter assembly. It seems like it consists of a number of small components.
  • tjwolptjwolp Posts: 1
    So tired of these silly games...

I go in to talk about buying an Exterra and I end up being in there a couple hours because the salesman has to go back and forth to the "manager". Well the salesman, Damon, tells me we are close to a deal but I decide to take a day or two and think about the deal. I actually thought they would call me back, which they didn't. I end-up calling back over to Damon and ask for his best price and he tells me he will call me back. 30 minutes latter Jimmy, "the manager" calls me back to tell me how popular the car I want is and that dealers all over the area have asked specifically for this car and there won't be any more '09 Exterras delivered and bottom line....the car I want is now $2,000. more than it was a few days earlier with Damon.

What horseshit.
    Sometimes I think the greatest problem with the auto industry isn't it's products -- it's salespeople. We bought a car for my wife five years ago (not a Nissan) and dealt with a number of dealership people who had seemingly dropped out of school during the 8th Grade. It was maddening and I share your frustration.

Your Dealer is right that the '09s are no longer made. Most manufacturers shut down their assembly lines for a period during the summer to set up for the new model year and to let existing inventory sell off a bit more.

Good luck in your purchase, whatever you settle on.
  • Boris2Boris2 Posts: 177
    Even if '09 Xterras are not manufactured anymore (which probably is the case), it doesn't mean you have to pay 2K extra. It actually means you have to pay less as dealers have to clear their inventory for '10 models (which won't have the incentives of the '09 models).

Just go to another dealer and as them to "look around" - they can trade between themselves from around the state (or even neighboring states). You can also try carsdirect where they will find you the dealer with the car available.

I've gotten my '07 Xterra in September of 2007 and, naturally, '07 models were not made anymore. Well, my dealer wanted to make a deal so they looked around and got me 3 to choose from. I called several dealers and whoever gave me the best price for one of those 3 got my business.
    Shoppers can also visit Nissan USA and look at Dealer inventories anywhere. It's a great feature and you're not dependent on a salesperson's agenda.
  • turn the key and you hear the starter just clicking. changed the ground cable and the positive terminal lug and tested the battery with a load (read good). still does the same, so i changed the starter and still does the same. i drove it saturday with no problems and i didn't show any signs of either going bad. now, i did have problems with it starting several weeks ago. i would turn the key and nothing would happen, then i would thump the stick in the park position and it would start fine......at my wits end trying to figure this one out...HELP!......just to add some more info....just found the valet key and it still did the same....rules out the sensored key being bad.
  • np250np250 Posts: 1
    Hello all. I too am having the exact same annoying issue with my 2008 Xterra. Had 7k miles on it when I bought it, and now has 20k . The VDC and slip lights have been coming on intermittently since I've owned it. Lights stay on for a few driving cycles, then reset themselves for about 2-3 weeks, then come back on. Been to the dealer numerous times. Initially, they replaced the steering angle sensor (all repairs are under warranty of course) and reset the lights. Lasted about 2 weeks. Upon return to the dealer, they said because we had aftermarket daytime running lights installed (US truck in Canada) they wouldn't repair it because of the "modified" electrical system and possible interference with the trucks computer (can't see the connection, but I'll play the game). So, the daytime running light module was removed, and about 2 weeks later, no surprise, the VDC and slip lights came back on. Back to the dealer, where the steering angle sensor was replaced for the second time. They said, maybe, the first replacement sensor was faulty(?). So far so good, no recurrence over 2 days driving, but we'll see in a few weeks.
    When the VDC and slip lights are on, the traction control system is disabled completely. I live in Canada and drive on snow covered roads for 4 months of the year. Believe me, 265hp, rear wheel drive, and snowy conditions without traction control can be exciting, to say the least! Serious safety issues with this recurring problem may lead to liability issues if someone gets hurt.
    If anybody knows of a sevice bulliten on this issue, please post the information.
    My dealer actually told me that there were NO reported cases of this same issue in North America!! Obviously, they don't read this forum.
  • I have 2001 Exterra and intermittingly all of the gauges (speedo,temp,gas,rpm, all gauges) goes out for a few seconds then I have to hit the top of the dash to get them to come back on again. I wrnt to the dealer and they told me that it was possable that it was the computer that was out but they would have to take the dash apart to really know what is causing it. They said they havent heard of that happening b/f.
  • when you add to the auto matic fill on the tranny with recomemded say dextronii, does it go into the transfer case as well or do you need to open a plug and drain and refill it with dextron, just the transfer case? I never owned a 4 wheel drive before so my questions may sound off the wall, but if there is any to know about cars I been there done that. thanks
  • mysportmysport Posts: 19
    Ours went on a '06 manual 4x4. Had to spend $500 to fix to get the idiot lights to turn off. After a clutch replacement at 7K that wasn't covered under warrantee ($1200) CANNOT WAIT to get rid of it :lemon: while gas prices are low.....
  • wmiddywmiddy Posts: 1
    My Xterra recently hit the 100,000 mile mark. I ahve replace3d brakes, wheel bearings, alternator, starter, and most fo the fuel injectors. What preventive maintenance should I perform at this point ??
  • :confuse: My 2006 Xterra has been making a whining noise only when I accelerate. It seems to be getting worse and has become very annoying. Does anyone know what this is and how it can be solved?
  • Hey all! I was curious how the xterras handle on icy and snowy roads? I currently live in the mountains of Idaho. I am a previous owner of an Xterra but had it while I lived in a dry & warm climate. Loved my old xterra, not liking my 1yr old Rogue. Would appreciate any feedback on how the xterras handle the road conditions listed above. Thanks!
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    it could be the timing chain tensioner
  • 99accent99accent Posts: 232
    well my pathfinder same basic type 4x4 does well in snow .