Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Audio Questions

Comments

• tiger72tiger72 Posts: 21
    I've had my civic for a few months now, and I've noticed that the bass on the stereo is really quite good on my regular CDs, MP3 CDs, and Auxiliary input, and the Radio at low volume levels (lower than 15 volume level). However, above 15 it seems that the bass is locked and does not increase with the level of the volume. It seems very much akin to sound-leveling that's used on TVs, so as not to blow the speakers. On TV's it can be disabled, but the stereo doesn't have an option to disable it.

1. Has anyone else here noticed this issue? It's been posted upon here:
    http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic-coupe-sedan/16959-just-me.html
    2. Is there a workaround that doesn't involve me buying a separate subwoofer that takes up unnecessary trunk space?
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    2. Is there a workaround that doesn't involve me buying a separate subwoofer that takes up unnecessary trunk space?

Have you considered the Bass System kit that Honda sells for the Civic:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_civic_4dr_accessories/06_08_civic_electro- nics.htm

(Scroll down to see it.)

It replaces your existing speakers and thus you don't lose any trunk room to a subwoofer.
  • tiger72tiger72 Posts: 21
    I've thought about it fairly seriously, and a couple days ago I asked my cousin with an EX to test the radio on their system. Seems that this Bass System Kit does help, but it still doesn't explain why the bass is just fine on the existing speakers when playing a CD, but sounds bad with the radio. I feel pretty short-changed on that.
  • tresktresk Posts: 1
    I found 6 digit code in glove compartment but some of the digits are higher then 6 on the radio the digits go up to 6.
  • redflearedflea Posts: 16
    Just got a 2008 Civic LX for my son. (Though I'm finding it difficult to get my wife out of it since we got the LX, she loves the car. :-) )

We live in an area where radio reception can be marginal....we're not remote, but have mountains in the area that cause the problems. The Civic appears to handle it a bit worse than our other two cars.

Is there a simple way to improve radio reception in the Civic?

Thanks in advance....
    Is there a simple way to improve radio reception in the Civic?

It's not really an answer to your question, but I use Sirius satellite radio when I'm driving in areas like that and get perfect reception. The satellite radio plugs into the aux jack of the Civic.

I can get far more stations and don't have to worry about static interference from the mountains.
  • redflearedflea Posts: 16
    Thanks.... :-) Not planning on going to Sirius or XM as we don't spend enough time in the car to make it worthwhile, and radio reception at home is fine.

Appreciate it if anyone else has any ideas on this. Thanks.
  • My daughter has the LX which doesn't have allow for the XM upgrade. Is there way to replace the entire head to get this built in look. Does someone make an after market unit that would have XM built in to the head unit? :confuse:
    Is there way to replace the entire head to get this built in look. Does someone make an after market unit that would have XM built in to the head unit?

Sure. Because most after market head units are the standard rectangular shape, they make a dash adapter for the Honda Civic. It is color matched to the Civic dashboard and it allows a regular rectangular after-market unit to be installed in it's opening.

Here's a picture, so you can visualize how it would fit onto the Civic dashboard.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=751&i=142HA1561G&tp=3486-

As you can see, it's got openings to fit around the climate control knobs and buttons and one of the vents.

Unless, you get a really large after-market deck, generally, it will only take up half of the stereo opening, so the "pocket" that you see in the picture can be installed underneath the deck, so that there's added storage space for CD's or whatever.

Now as far as the head unit itself goes, they make plenty of head units that are satellite radio ready such as this one at circuit city:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-HD-Bluetooth-Ready-Car-Stereo-KD-G340/sem/rps- m/oid/203022/catOid/-13089/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The actual satellite tuner is sold separately, but when they install it, they install it in a hidden place and plug it into the head unit. All of the satellite stations are controlled through the head unit and the titles will be displayed on the head unit display.

Hopefully that answers your questions.
  • civictorycivictory Posts: 73
    My 2008 Civic gets horrible AM radio reception when the car is running. (FM isn't exactly great, either.) The AM reception is fine once the engine is turned off. Is this normal? The dealer seemed stumped when I inquired.
    My 2008 Civic gets horrible AM radio reception when the car is running. (FM isn't exactly great, either.) The AM reception is fine once the engine is turned off. Is this normal?

I have a 2008 with the Navigation stereo and I get both AM and FM bands really well. I do live in a metropolitan area, so I don't know if you're trying to pick up some stations at a distance. But I haven't encountered anything such as the issue you have described.
    jet10000,

I also live in a large metropolitan area, so it's not the distance. My other car gets great reception, as did my previous Civic.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    Well, if that's the case, I'd definitely take it back to the dealer, turn the engine on have them listen and tell them to fix it or replace it.
  • bluecivicbluecivic Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2008 Civic on June 30 and am running into the exact same problem. Does your car have any tinting? I've read where metalized tinting could cause problems. I wish I had listened to the radio more before I had the tinting installed to know for sure. I'm afraid I'm going to get caught between the dealership and my tinting guy pointing fingers.
    Yes, that's one of the things the dealer mentioned as a possible explanation. However, my tint was installed by the dealer; and according to them, they don't use metalized tint.

If your tint was installed somewhere else, that might explain it. You might ask them if their tint is metalized or not. (I'm not even sure what that really means.)

Does your AM reception get better if you turn your car off? My AM reception is great as long as the engine isn't running. That makes me think it's something other than the tint.

One thing I intend to do, but haven't yet, is go to the dealer and check out radio reception on the lot, to see how mine compares to other Civics. I suppose it's possible that the factory-installed stereo is just inferior.

Please post anything you find out. Thanks!
    Yes, the interference disappears completely when the engine is off. That's good to know that you have dealer installed tint and have the same problem. I can accept weak reception because of a cheap factory radio but interference has to be a problem.

So, who's going to be the first to try to get the dealer to fix it? :D
    In my case it was definitely the tint. I had the dealer look into it when I went to pick up my tags and they said it was definitely the tint. The service guy pointed out the entry points for the antennae on the back window. Next I went to my tinting guy who was disbelieving. A bit awkward at first but it had to be checked out. First I had him only remove the top section of tint that was over the antennae to see if it was because the tint was in contact with the antennae. The interference changed slightly but it didn't go away. When he removed the rest of it, it went away completely. I go back Wednesday to have him put non-metallized tint. Hopefully, the interference won't return.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your situation.
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you corrected your problem.

I haven't made it in to the dealer, yet; but your experience definitely gives me somewhere to start. I can't imagine that the dealer would put metalized tint on, but who knows?
  • kenlwkenlw Posts: 190
    "I can't imagine that the dealer would put metalized tint on, but who knows?"

most dealers subcontract this out, and probably have no clue as to what is applied.

My dealer has had to pay for over a dozen new rear windshields due to their (at that time) tint installer cutting the lines for the rear defroster.....
  • I purchased my 2008 Civic Coupe EX-L-Nav one month ago and the AM reception is so poor that it is not tolerable to listen to. I took it to my dealership with other issues besides the radio, the service advisor said others have been complaining about AM reception. They said they would pull the head unit and check all connections, they found nothing. It seems to me to be a combination of things, the first is either an insufficient AM antenna or poor placement. The bigger source of the problem seems to be in the electrical system, each additional electrical component turned on generates even more static on AM stations. For example, put on an AM station then turn on the rear-window defogger, it introduces more static. Seems like Honda needs to provide a filter on the power feed to the radio.
    For most people I realize this isn't a problem, but this Civic was purchase for one reason, a gas-miser commute vehicle for my two hour daily commute. The AM talk radio for two hours is my daily dump of the news. If Honda is unwilling to provide a fix, they should offer to provide free XM subscription so we can at least tune into the syndicated talk shows.