Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Engine fires 3800 series II 1996-2003

Comments

• gtp03dawgtp03daw Posts: 16
    Hello, Well my car was a total loss. My insurance company claimed arson and that I did it. GM denied my bumper to bumber 100,000 5yr warranty. The said that "fires weren't an issue on Grand Prix". Actually I haven't been able to find anyone at GM to talk to me yet. I think they're still reeling from 200,000+ cars in the recall. This has been going on for me since he car burned in Feb of 2003. I hope you fair better than me and some others...Lemme know !!
  • jsprousejsprouse Posts: 5
    has anyone had any fires with the grand prix gt? I have been smelling a hot smell comeing throught my vents, when I look under the hood i do not see or smell anything, this only seems to happen when the heater is on? does anyone know what this could be. there is only 70000 miles on my 2002 . i have parked it since finding this forum and reading about the fires. i have 2 small children and would never risk a fire with them in the car. gm should really take this into consideration when telling people to go ahead and drive their cars.
  • grngtpgrngtp Posts: 14
    I have been smelling a hot smell comeing throught my vents, when I look under the hood i do not see or smell anything, this only seems to happen when the heater is on?

Does the odor smell sweet? You may have a leaking heater core and you could be smelling anti-freeze. Has the car been using anti-freeze? A mechanic should be able to check for a leaking heater core.

Jeff
    no the smell is a burning hot smell, kind of a mix between oil and something. If anyone knows of a cause yet of the fires, please let me know , i want to fix this problem (if the gt's have one) before any fire can start. full coverage insurance wouldnt even begin to pay what i have for this car. my 2002 is in great condition, just got it paid for and i don't want to be in debt for another one.
  • gtp03dawgtp03daw Posts: 16
    And for everyone else...Still waiting to here from Pontiac on my toased GTP that went up in 03..You have to keep calling in to bug the poop out of them...But..Check the exhaust front and rear manifolds..Check for any oil leaks...If you can't then take it in to a GM dealer ASAP for the safety recall. They'll replace only the fron valve cover gasket. I had mine done on my 03 because I smelled smoke 2 weeks after I got my letters. After the fix I continued to smell burning oil. I took it back in and we put it on the rack. The oil pan gasket was rotted out in spots, dripping down on the pipes...It's a fairly intensive repair...stearing has to be dropped and removed..It's starting to look like GM used some very cheap gaskets. My car only has 66,000 miles. An oil pan gasket is usually a lifetime item unless there's other problems like main bearing seal or oil pump...Certainly a min of 100,000 miles...66,000 miles is rediculas...I'm still fighting w/Pontiac on this one and my 99, the repairs for that is about 800.00...Pontiac is claiming it's not related...
  • ihlihl Posts: 5
    If you smell what you are describing you best get full coverage and get it in to get it fixed at GM's expense don't park in a garage or under a structure :sick:
    keep calling gm they sent out a letter stating that the car does have a fire hazard so you should have recourse
    Gm is suppose to send out a recall letter and now suppose get hold of you. I am now waiting but I am going to get call again
  • 2000 GTP burned this morning in our parking lot at work. The guy got the safety letter last week! I'd post a picture if I knew how.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    You can upload photos into an album on your CarSpace page and then post them in the Forums.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Hey everyone, A guy that was working on some garage electric for us noticed my grand prix sitting in my garage and asked why i wasnt driving it, i explained because of the fires ( my car is just sitting unharmed as of now, waiting to find out what the problem is so we can have it fixed before anything happens to it ) anyway I havent received anything from gm, so is going to have his son run my vin. numbers (he works for a gm dealer) to see if i should have received something, anyway his son had been telling him that the oil line blowes off and sprayes the pipes then u have the fires. so i am getting my husband on the ball to check this, I am currently driving my expedition and buying gas for it is killing me!
  • jessica9jessica9 Posts: 12
    I HAVE A 1998 GT THAT STARTED ON FIRE IN SEPTEMBER OF 2006 AND IT TOTALLED MY CAR. AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE ISNT ANY RECALLS ON GTS BECAUSE WHAT I HEARD THEY ALREADY DID A RECALL FO RTHE SAME PROBLEM BUT ONLY TIL 1997 IT WAS FOR THE SAME ENGINES THEY ARE RECALLING NOW JUST NOT SUPERCHARGED SO THERE OBVIOUSLY IS A PROBLEM WITH THESE ENGINES SO I DONT SEE WHY THEY ARE JUST RECALLING GTPS
  • I put the photos of the GTP fire in my photo album. Here is a link. If this doesn't work, please tell me the correct way to do this. Thank you.

http://www.carspace.com/sprinterpa/Albums/sprinterpa%27s%20Album/
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    Whoa. I couldn't tell for sure, but it looks like the car in front of yours was damaged by the fire? Or maybe that's just an odd shadow I'm seeing.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Thankfully, none of these cars were mine! The blue car was damaged as the rear bumper cover was melted off and the paint was badly blistered. The authorities wouldn't allow the lady to move her car for safety reasons.
  • I just added a photo of the GTP fully involved. This is about how it was when the fire fighters arrived. You could hear the tires blow out and the smell was horrible. Good new . . . the owner got his golf clubs out of the car! But seriously, there was no damage behind the firewall . . . it did what it is supposed to do!
  • dvcourtdvcourt Posts: 1
    I am also one of the unlucky owners of a Pontiac which caught fire. Mine occurred last year (Aug 2007). It was a total loss. Unfortunately I did not have fire insurance. I received recall notice in March of this year. I called GM and have since been bounced thru two different representatives. Has anyone been lucky enough to get compensated?
  • I was lucky enough to have full comprehensive coverage, which paid blue book value of the car, not nearly what it was worth, but at least I got something. Mine had just been parked on my eldery mother's carport for about 10 minutes when I happened to look out and see smoke. It did about $10K damage to her home with fire, smoke and water damage from the fire dept. I am just thankful I saw the smoke before the house actually caught fire. Good luck collecting anything from GM. :(
  • saint3saint3 Posts: 4
    Greetings, I just wanted to let you know that there is a recall for the Buick and Pontiac with the Supercharger 1997 to 2003. Sorry that is is too late for both of us, but spread the word. It came out March 15 2008. There are a lot of people that took it in the shorts on this one, I just found out that I had to report my case to the NHTSA, besides us there were at least 267 fires with the supercharged engines. I am looking to find or start a class action against GM for making such a dangerous deffect. I feel real bad for one person that lost his 68 GTO because his sister parked her buick next to it in the Garage of course for the individual only a proper accident report and a class action suit would help him. That is all I have for now, and GM is fixing the problem but again too late for many of us. Good luck.
  • saint3saint3 Posts: 4
    Sorry to hear about the fire, it looks like only a class action lawsuit would help out people who have lost so much. Please contact the NHTSA with your report. I only lost my car but many people with Garages lost much more especially if the garage was built into the home. If I see any info on a class action I will post it. GM is fixing the problem with the engines but some people still do not know that they are driving a dangerous car until they are fixed. Good luck and at least no one was hurt.