Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Engine fires 3800 series II 1996-2003

Comments

• I also lost my car to a fire. The investigator came out and hinted about a possiblity of arson. He left and told me that it would be a lengthy process. I am definitely interested in a class action lawsuit. Hopefully we can get enough people to start it.
  • msschm22msschm22 Posts: 5
    Hi Mr. Schmitt, I met w/ GM yesterday, 04/30/08 and since you no longer have possession of vehicle, no compensation is being considered. They have denied your claim. Without the vehicle we can not determine if the fire was related to the Recall.

SO any of us that sold our cars to scrap as we didnt want a burned up car or those of us that had them repaired are entitled to nothing is GM's case on this.
  • bzellerbzeller Posts: 2
    I am interested in a class action also. GM is not doing anything about the people that scrapped their cars. Mine was totally burnt up with everything in it. I had liability so am still paying for the car. I got rid of the car before I got the recall. I have no money, so my son had to get me another car and now he is out $4000.00 which he really couldn't afford either! Among other things I lost a very extensive cd collection that I had been aquiring for years-these can't be replaced. I actually miss them more than the car. This whole thing has just caused me so much grief! Somebody out there should be able to help.
  • cmabrycmabry Posts: 2
    My 2000 GTP caught fire 5 weeks ago; it was towed to a local Pontiac dealer and has been sitting there untouched for 5 weeks. I have been in contact with GM daily and just found out that the engineers determined my fire to be consistent with the recall, however the legal team said they would not pay for it that my insurance will have to pay for it!!! What a bunch of crap!!! (my insurance was ready to fix it 5 weeks ago, but I was told by GM that it sounds like a perfect fit for the recall and that GM will take care of it! Anyone else have any luck with GM actually fixing this problem?
  • jer9jer9 Posts: 2
    well this weekend i did a little maint. to the 2003 pontiac grad prix gt 3800 II .
    guess what i found under the old hood a " fuel leak", seams they have had this trouble in the past as well, on the grand ams.
    where the fuel line "from the tank" conects to the "fuel rail", seems their great plastic conector is to close to the heat, guess where it leaks on "thats right" the very hot intake around the injectors. it just sits there and pools up.
    what i went on to disscover was that it didn't leak until the engine was turnd off.
    it didn't leak under pressure.
    dont know if this is the cause of all the fires,but i think the fuel would ignite faster than the " oil leak".
  • jer9jer9 Posts: 2
    yes i found it today came here to see if anyone else had this happen and yep here you are.
    seems their pastic connector cant take the heat.
    how did you fix it?
    jtmandy@iowatelecom.net
  • msschm22msschm22 Posts: 5
    Go to this website www.girardgibbs.com Maybe if enough of us get this atty an email he will see there is a large case here and that GM isnt helping anyone out. I say we bombard him with examples and information till we get this started. He has won against GM before so he can do it again.
  • grngtpgrngtp Posts: 14
    quote - jer9 ======

well this weekend i did a little maint. to the 2003 pontiac grad prix gt 3800 II .
    guess what i found under the old hood a " fuel leak", seams they have had this trouble in the past as well, on the grand ams.
    where the fuel line "from the tank" conects to the "fuel rail", seems their great plastic conector is to close to the heat, guess where it leaks on "thats right" the very hot intake around the injectors. it just sits there and pools up.
    what i went on to disscover was that it didn't leak until the engine was turnd off.
    it didn't leak under pressure.
    dont know if this is the cause of all the fires,but i think the fuel would ignite faster than the " oil leak".

quote ===============
    I hope that what has failed is the O-ring in the connector and not the connector. The connnector is part of the fuel line and then you would have to replace the entire line.

I've got a 98 GTP with nylon fuel lines to the rail and metal connectors. Not sure exactly what the 03 GT uses, but the metal and plastic connectors for the 98 are similar and both us an O-ring that should be replaceable. For the metal connector, a special tool is needed to disconnect the lines, the tool is inexpensive and can be purchased at an auto parts store for less than $10.

I don't know if the specific O-rings can be bought at an auto parts store or not. I'm planning on replacing the O-rings on my car just as part of general maintenance and will buy them from the dealer.

I think this is a good find (I missed the first post on the fuel leak). At least with the metal connector, the O-rings at the connector are subjected to engine vibration and movement which would degrade the seal in addition to heat.

Jeff
  • jsprousejsprouse Posts: 5
    had anyones car had the catalact converter replaced prior to the fires?
  • jsan2727jsan2727 Posts: 1
    My story is similar to outdoorlady. My wife has been hounding GM for our deductible that the insurance company kept. She called and was given the run around and has been denied several times but kept asking for that person's supervisor until now, GM called two days ago and offered us half the deductible saying they did not owe us anything because of a "breach of warranty" since the car is more than 4 years old but would be willing to settle for half. (it was an 02). I told them i would get an attorney because by offering half the deductible they are accepting responsibility for the fire. We will see what happens. Here is the number we have been calling: 800-620-7668 and 800-888-0164 which is the "product allegations department". I will update this site when i find out more.
  • outdoorladyoutdoorlady Posts: 14
    I was lucky enough, if you want to call it that, to have full coverage comprehensive, so there was no deductible. But try getting a decent car for $5200 to replace one that was worth twice that to me. I loved my red 1999 GTP. The insurance would not pay for the damage to my mom's home, but her insurance did a good job of covering her losses and damage to the carport and house. I am really disappointed in GM's lack of responsibility and unwillingness to take care of it's customers. It is not our fault they built a car that has become a serious danger to life and home.
  • jmazz01jmazz01 Posts: 5
    My 2001 GTP caught fire just over 2 weeks ago. Same story as most. Short drive followed by an engine bay fire after sitting for 5-10 minutes. The car is a total loss. GM took our call and said we would be contacted within 2 business days. Of course they did not. We called back and got a run around until we finally were told that the "claim" was not sent.

The car was towed to the local dealer per GM's request. We were told that they would be out to look at it within 10 business days. Those 10 days are nearly up.

Here's the fun part. We received the original pre-recall letter. Contacted 2 dealerships who knew nothing about it. Contacted GM to find out when we could get the car fixed. We were told that as soon as the parts were in we would be notified. That was in March. This past Friday we get a postcard in the mail. It basically says we were sent a letter to take our car in to get fixed, per the recall and we didn't. It then say's to take it in for the fix at no cost to us. Funny how we get this post card days after the insurance pays us for the GTP. Needless to say we never received a letter advising us to schedule a repair. We called GM to inquire and were told that they sent us a letter 2 weeks before the car caught fire.

Sure sound like trying to cover up to me.

If anyone has any info on a potential lawsuit let us know. The one email address in this thread did not respond to me.
  • grngtpgrngtp Posts: 14
    jmazz01, sorry to hear about your loss. Did you look at the engine compartment after receiving the pre-recall letter. If so, was oil leaking out of the front valve cover? Did you notice any hot oil or gas fumes/odors before the fire?

Jeff
  • slove1slove1 Posts: 1
    I had a 1997 pontiac grand prix gt wich i took very good care of and October 2007 I was driving home and my car stalled it was on fire and literally burned to the ground and as you can imagine i was devistated because not only my car but all my dog grooming supplies was in the trun. I only had libility insurance so lost everything! Please help me, I don't even know where to start!! Thanks
    No fumes or odors or heavy leaking oil. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary for a 7 year old car.
  • jettechjettech Posts: 8
    Just had the recall maintenance completed on my 2K Grand Prix GTP last week...car burned up tonight. Appears the fix doesn't work. People beware...check your engines for any leakage.

Fortunately I have full coverage on the vehicle, but the blue book value will in no way compensate me for what the car is actually worth. I loved that car. It was fire engine red and the paint was in perfect condition. Looked like it just came off the showroom floor. I am really depressed about this.
    Sorry to hear that. Not surpirsed though. Good luck if you decide to get GM to do anything for you. I've been getting the runaround for a month.

Let's see, I contacted GM immediately and was told to tow the car to the local dealer. I was told that I would be contacted within 48 hrs. That didn't happen. I contated them again and after 1.5 hrs was told that he claim hadn't been sent where it was supposed to be sent. I was then told that a GM inspector would go look at the car and I would be contacted within 10 business days. That didn't happen.

About 1.5 weeks ago I got a postcard in the mail from GM telling me that I was sent a notice of recall and that I hadn't been in to have the free service done to fix my car. Unfortunately I never received the so called letter. I contacted GM again to ask and was told the letter was sent 2 weeks before my car burned. I got the pre recall letter and the postcard but never got the recall. Mysterious huh?
    The whole time my insurance company is bugging me about allowing them to tow the car to a salvage yard. More about that in a minute. After roughly 14 business days I contacted GM again and was not able to get any info. I was told they would contact me Tue, May 26. They contated me by sending a letter from ESIS, which is a liability unit handling claims for GM. The letter is asking for all types of maintenance records etc... Also telling me that I have failed to provide proof that the fire was a defect of the car. I was never asked for anything but this is obviously more GM BS.

Also, the dealer and insurance company are telling me I will be responsible for storage and tow of the car since I'm refusing to allow it to be towed away. Remember GM is the one that told me to have it towed there and that they would come out to inspect.

One more thing the letter I got from ESIS also states that if I tow it away I do so at my own perile. Basically, if I tow it they will never inspect it. If I don't tow it I am responsbile for storage fees.

Well bottom line is I'm not budging. I'm thinking that the only reason to pay to have the car out of storage is if you want it back. I don't have any use for a totalled GTP.
  • jimr19777jimr19777 Posts: 1
    This just happened to my son last night and we don't have compensation insurance just liability, so it is our loss. GM sent the safety notice but it is NOT a recall. It does not even sound like it is a big deal, it says if you smell anything take it to the dealer.
    I called GM and they told me the same thing that someone from the legal department would contact me in 2 days.
    What can we do? Can we all get one lawyer and sue? You can send e-mail to
    jsrogers2007@yahoo.com
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about the car. I don't have any answers for you other than to keep checking online to see if anything happens as far as a class action suit. It sure doesn't seem like GM is going to do anything. I had full coverage on my GTP and my insurance company is going after gm for reimbursement of the money they paid me and my deductable. Of course GM is saying that there is no proof that the fire was cause by a manufacturing defect. It's kind of hard to figure out what happened to a car that burned to the ground.
  • So this past tuesday (6-3-08) My 2001 Grand Prix Gt - literally just started on fire maybe 12 minutes after parking it at my work. There were absolutely NO signs to indicate what would happen - there was really nothing wrong with the car- it ran great!! Anywho - I went into work and like I said not even 15 minutes later we were informed that there was a car on fire in the parking lot - after a minute or two i found out it was mine, I ran like a bat outta hell to the outside parking lot and I could see this huge cloud of smoke pouring from the engine. As I got closer you could see the orange flames under the hood, pieces of material were burning/melting off onto the pavement. A co-worker actually came with a fire extinguisher and started spraying it into the cracks of the hood (I think this helped out a little bit - or at least slowed it down for a minute), within minutes of all of this the fire department arrived (they are right down the road from where I work) and started putting the fire out with the hose - after they got it out and had to axe open the hood (the cable by the hood latch was all melted together so you couldn't get it open) - it is just one big mess, everything is all completely melted - A TOTAL LOSS, I have never seen a battery almost completely melted like that before - so ummm, I only have PLPD so I am screwed on the insurance end, so I was gonna call to see if I could at least get money for scrap - I came home & went on the internet & found all of you guys - so I now see a trend and am getting quite upset about this. i don't have the 3.8 supercharger they are recalling (which they admit CAN catch fire) - but obviously it can happen in just the regular 3.8 engines as well - so ihad my car towed back to my house where it is gonna sit while I do a few things - i sent an email to NHTS in detail as to what happened, then I called GM and they set up a 'FILE' with me & said that within 2 days someone from Allegations would get a hold of me. this is my plan, wait till 3pm monday and if I don't receive a phone call I will call them (I have a reference number! lol!) and see where that leads me - but if by wednesday I am still getting the run-around shpeel, I am going to be sending out mass emails to all the news stations (fox investigates) in Detroit & Lansing and try to get something stirring. The way the economy is right now & how GM is having other issues, you'd think they wouldn't want BAD press - it was just an idea I have! My point is they should recall all of the 3.8 engines regardless if they are supercharged or not - because THEY BOTH CAN CATCH ON FIRE- you think that would save them a ton of money in the end. Something should be done, just because I only had PLPD doesn't matter, if it has anything to do with the way the engine was built - thats GM's fault, not mine!!! *I also have pics of when the car was smoking, after they put the fire out & what the inside looks like if anyone may be interested*">