Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Engine fires 3800 series II 1996-2003

18910111214»

Comments

• I started a such of a lawsuit because Oct. 2008 I had expireanced this same problem. My engieng cought fire 3:00am on my way to work. Frist it stalled so I turned around to head back home. Soon as I made the u-turn that's when my engieng went up in smoke. I feild a police report but had the vehchile towed to the junk yard. Here it is 2013 and I am trying to get passed it but as a reminder GM keep sending me a Recall Card after the fact so I am S. O. L.' ed out of a car and a lawsuit. I had to acquire a car note (which I've never done before). It happened so fast. The car was running good one minute and then the next this fire. I lost everything as well. I almost didn't get out the car because all the power locks that I was used to stop working, I panically unlatched the manual lock though a prayer.
  • I had the same issue with my Pontiac grand prix 2002. My engine caught fire 10-15 minutes after it was turned off! i was shocked because i hadnt had prior engine problems and terrified because i was in the car ten minutes before it burst into flames. I couldnt get the fire out, eventually police and the fire department ended the fire before it spread to my house. This is a terribly dangerous situation and i am shocked. I was not notified when i bought the car used at a dealership. My insurance wont cover the damage and my car is totalled
  • My 1999 grand prix gt caught fire earlier part of this year, fortunately I saw the smoke and my car wasn't a total loss.
  • Did anyone have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix catch on fire? My Uncle has one and it was sheer luck that someone was driving by and saw the fire. If they hadn't then they would not have known until the car exploded. I have been looking and all I have seen are earlier model cars catching on fire. Please let me know!!
  • I've read about all the fires and I'm wondering if anyone has had that happen to 2007 models?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,057

Edmunds Community Manager Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 4,289
    @Karen_CM love the new picture.

One of the Guys I golf with was just telling us about his sons cars engine started to smoke last year and it was on the GM recall list. Not sure if it was the Impala or Lumina. Sounds like a dangerous problem.

2016 BMW X-5 35i, 2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2012 MB ML350

• I recently received a recall notice from GM, recall# 15757, first week of March 2016 regarding the engine’s front valve cover and gasket to be replaced with new parts due to drops of engine oil that may deposit on the exhaust manifold which could cause an engine fire. I called dealership and was told parts were still not available and I was placed on a waiting list. On April 9, 2016, my car started on fire due to oil leak. The car was parked for 5 minutes before smoke and fire started to come from under the hood. The fire dept. did come out and put the fire out, however, the entire engine compartment is totaled. I contacted the dealership on April 11th, in which the dealership still did not have the recall parts available. I was given General Motor's phone#, contacted them and explained the situation, in which we were told that someone would come out in 48 hrs to assess damage. However, on April 13th, I received a phone call from an advisor stating that further information is needed from me. No one has come out to assess damage as originally stated, as well, I had to email several pictures and paperwork that was requested. When I attempt to contact the advisor through email or phone, she does not respond to any of my inquiries. I called again yesterday, 4/18/16, and spoke to a different advisor who stated that my current advisor will contact me within 24-48 hrs. This is completely frustrating and cause I have no idea what will take place with my car. I'm using someone else's vehicle as of now and I explained to the GM advisor that I don't have a car, however, I was told that is not their concern, as well, it could take 20-30 business days to determine anything. I'm not sure if I should entrust GM to take care of this situation or persue legal advice. Has anyone recently encountered an engine fire due to the recall and has GM stepped up and took fully responsibility for their issue?!?

Thanks much!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 52,170
    edited April 19
    I don't think there is much you can do until the vehicle is inspected, so if I were in your shoes, I'd devote all my energy to getting the car looked at by GM. What they determine from the inspection will determine what course of action you have to take. If GM decides that the fire isn't related to the oil leak then you'll have to decide if you want to pursue some legal remedy to prove them wrong. If, on the other hand, GM footed the bill, that would be great. Chances are your car is totaled so you should be prepared for a total write-off. If you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance policy you might contact your insurance company about how they might get involved.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Hello, thanks for your response. As of today, GM has determined my car to be a loss from the photos that I have submitted. No one physically came out to inspect it. They are willing to repurchase my car for $1800, as well, give me $2000 loyalty certificate to use towards the purchase of a new car. This is completely insulting. Just the fact that they sent out a recall indicating parts were available and were not, disgusts me. This incident wouldn't have taken place if parts were available early March as indicated. I'm at a loss for words regarding the entire incident. They are accepting fault, however, surely aren't compensating me with anything! I will never purchase another GM product, just due to the fact that they have handled this so poorly. The stress and anxiety I have endured in regards to this incident is terrible and I consider myself and family very fortunate not to have had something serious occur. I have shared my story with my local news media, who seem to be interested in learning more of the situation. I will continue to appropriate action in regards to this. My car was in great condition, I loved my car, and I couldn't possibly find another car with the condition that my car was in, for $1800. I had no intention of replacing my car for a new car, nor should I have to even consider doing so now. I feel there should be a class action law suit, especially given the fact that over 1300 cars caught fire, mine being the latest statistic. This truly is a nightmare and I empathize with others that have endured this unfortunate situation.
  • inuvikinuvik OregonPosts: 134

I recently received a recall notice from GM, recall# 15757, first week of March 2016 regarding the engine’s front valve cover and gasket to be replaced with new parts due to drops of engine oil that may deposit on the exhaust manifold which could cause an engine fire. I called dealership and was told parts were still not available and I was placed on a waiting list. On April 9, 2016, my car started on fire due to oil leak. The car was parked for 5 minutes before smoke and fire started to come from under the hood. The fire dept. did come out and put the fire out, however, the entire engine compartment is totaled. I contacted the dealership on April 11th, in which the dealership still did not have the recall parts available. I was given General Motor's phone#, contacted them and explained the situation, in which we were told that someone would come out in 48 hrs to assess damage. However, on April 13th, I received a phone call from an advisor stating that further information is needed from me. No one has come out to assess damage as originally stated, as well, I had to email several pictures and paperwork that was requested. When I attempt to contact the advisor through email or phone, she does not respond to any of my inquiries. I called again yesterday, 4/18/16, and spoke to a different advisor who stated that my current advisor will contact me within 24-48 hrs. This is completely frustrating and cause I have no idea what will take place with my car. I'm using someone else's vehicle as of now and I explained to the GM advisor that I don't have a car, however, I was told that is not their concern, as well, it could take 20-30 business days to determine anything. I'm not sure if I should entrust GM to take care of this situation or persue legal advice. Has anyone recently encountered an engine fire due to the recall and has GM stepped up and took fully responsibility for their issue?!?

Thanks much!

No engine fire yet, but I know it's leaking. Going to schedule a repair soon. The recall # I get is: N150757
  • Well, just as of today, the dealership contacted us to notify us that the parts are available. So, 2 months after the Recall notice was sent out, parts are now first available. Hopefully, you get your car fixed in a timely manner.
18910111214»