Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Engine fires 3800 series II 1996-2003

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Hello Stevie75,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you experienced a concern on your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information about your situation so I can look into further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • outdoorladyoutdoorlady Posts: 14
    Congratulations Stevie75, I think you are the first to get a response from GM out of the hundreds of us that have posted regarding this problem in the past 31/2 years!!!
  • gtp03dawgtp03daw Posts: 16
    What else can I say...State Farm insinuated I committed arson and denied the claim. GM denied the claim. Then State Farm forced me into either singing the title or paying
    for the storage fees to date. When NHTSA got GM to issue recalls, GM again denied the claim for "statute of limitations" In the mean time I spent another 895+ dollars to have the oil pan gasket replaced.And that was done less than 1 week after my front valve cover was replaced under recall the old pan gasket was leaking directly onto the exhaust system. Then another 900+ for the manifold gaskets that started leaking...Conveniently after the time limit for replacement......Then GM dops Pontiac....

Just great...

And if GM is reading this the article below is from Consumer Affairs ( the car pictured on fire is my 03 GTP ) I have several more. My original post is several pages back
    ( Got Marshmellows )

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/11/car_fires.html

Good luck Stevi75
    What else can I say...State Farm insinuated I committed arson and denied the claim. GM denied the claim. Then State Farm forced me into either singing the title or paying
    for the storage fees to date. When NHTSA got GM to issue recalls, GM again denied the claim for "statute of limitations" In the mean time I spent another 895 dollars to have the oil pan gasket replaced. And that was done less than 1 week after my front valve cover was replaced under recall. Then another 900 for the manifold gaskets that started leaking...Conveniently after the time limit for replacement......Then GM drops Pontiac....

Just great...

Article below is from Consumer Affairs ( the car pictured on fire is my 03 GTP )
    I have several more.

You can also check "got marshmellows" on page 3..

for the storage fees to date. When NHTSA got GM to issue recalls, GM again denied the claim for "statute of limitations" In the mean time I spent another 895 dollars to have the oil pan gasket replaced. And that was done less than 1 week after my front valve cover was replaced under recall. Then another 900 for the manifold gaskets that started leaking...Conveniently after the time limit for replacement......Then GM dops Pontiac....

Just great...

Article below is from Consumer Affairs ( the car pictured on fire is my 03 GTP )
    I have several more.

• Well I am not giving in! My son was driving this car and I thank god he is not hurt! I am trying to find any and all people who have had their car burn to the ground! I am finding a class action lawyer to start this going! We are all either accused of arson! or told the warranty limitations has run out, or we are not the original owner, and NOTHING will be done! people have lost their cars, their homes, garages, apartment buildings, and I am thanking god I haven't heard of a death yet. god willing that wont happen.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Hello Hollywhitaker,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize for your situation with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can find my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • nekogpgtnekogpgt Posts: 2
    I know your post is like really old but I stumbled across it when I was looking for parts. Moving on, my sister had that same issue with her Grand am they never found the problem or fixed it. My Grand Prix had a starting issue, it MIGHT be your mass air flow sensor. It's a common part that goes bad in those cars. Grand Prix's normally don't have a lot of issues or serious ones. 87s though may have had more issues, especially if its an SE with a 3.1 L engine. They're basically a Grand am with the nicks and nacks.
  • nekogpgtnekogpgt Posts: 2
    Most liekly, it also has the 3.8L The LM model just has a few more options than regular model. But they have the same motor.
  • for a while now I have had smoke coming from my alternator area. i know it's not my alternator because it is brand new since nov. the smoke seems to be coming from that area though under it. it is smoking so bad now that it's coming through my a/c vents and it smells I've been told like oil burning.my boyfriend thinks it maybe be oil burning and I need a new valve gasket cover but it might not be as simple as that. it is smoking with the a/c on and with it off. i dont kno what it could be but the smoke is getting bad. have any ideas?
    what year ? model..the gtp's with the super charged 3800 engines have
    a recall out for the front valve covers. from personal experience my first
    one went up in flames. the recall only covers the front valve cover and the
    alternator is by the rear one, but have both valve covers checked, also there
    were recalls on the intake manifold gaskets leaking water. if water gets
    into the cylinders it will be costly as in new engine! around 800 for the manifold gaskets if it's not under warranty, front valve cover is a free recall, also have the
    oil pan gasket checked for leaks. mine leaked directly onto the exhaust
    down tube, another 800....great engine...lousy gaskets..
  • it is a 94 grand prix se, I think 3.1 engine. its got 40,000 miles on it.
  • so you think i should check both gaskets and the pan?
  • any body else have any input?
  • if it smells like oil it is .. look for the leak and have it fixed.. changing the valve cover gaskets are not that hard..
  • I am writing in response to the messages. Just 2 night ago our car burnt up. Our story sounds like so many others. Came home and about 15 minutes later the neighbor is knocking on the door and our car is in flames. I started looking around today and have been very surprised to hear so many similar stories. Has anyone had any success with GM on the issue? Any available information, updates, or suggestions on the route we can take to handle this would be grealty appreciated. If this is a common problem then GM needs to acknowledge it and do something about it before someone gets seriously hurt! We were devistated!
  • I am checking in to see if you have had any luck. Our car caught fire 2 nights ago and it totaled.
  • Hello,,,
    I am so sorry that your car was destroyed by this terrible problem that is happening to Pontiac's .....I was devastated when my car caught fire.....I first called the car complaint number to let them know about it...then they gave me GM's phone number,,,a case was open and a investigator was sent to my house,,twice......he took pictures,,,and then a while later GM contacted me and said,,"that they would not cover it because I didn't have a extended warranty". I don't know anyone who has a extended warranty or who would give me one when my car was a 1999 Grand Prix,,,,I loved my car and it was paid for...I planned on having my car for long time....and didn't have high miles either....I would try this first what I did.....and you could have success...I think if I pursue somehow maybe I could get somewhere...it is sad and frustrating to read all of the posts...someone told me about these fires happening that is how I found out...I thought initially that my son had done something to the car.....GM needs to step up to the plate and reimburse GM car owners their money for the loss of their vehicle....and they are not being held accountable for something that is clearly their fault...I wish you luck and I will let you know if I find a way to to pursue and get some where with my case..I am sorry again for the loss.....and your right someone is going to get hurt or a fatal tragedy is going to happen..actually,,,a older man did die from his car catching on fire..because the fire burned the wires and the automatic door locks were locked and he couldn't ope the windows or doors and died inside the car....don't give up and pursue this and have a case opened.....you deserve to be reimbursed for your loss.....erica
  • Did you have the recall executed? GM recalled most of these cars and have a plan to fix what they believe is the main cause... oil leaking out of the front valve cover that catches fire on the exhaust manifold then ignites some plastic parts above the exhaust manifold. If you had the recall done and still had the problem then it seems you might have some additional leverage with GM. I believe the recall was only a partial fix, but probably enough of a fix to put these cars back into a more reasonable statistical category for under hood fires on competitive vehicles.
  • we were the second owners and to my knowledge never received a recall for the vehical , and to this date have just learned about this recall all what the effects of it are