Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Engine fires 3800 series II 1996-2003

Comments

• jmac74jmac74 Posts: 10
    My Pontiac GTP 2000 caught fire Feb 28,2005 while I was driving it. It was pretty scary since the car just died and I didn't have any control. I was lucky not to get hurt. My insurance company said it was from a faulty fuel line going into the engine. I have some other people and we are trying for a class action lawsuit. Anyone interested please respond to my email at JMcCarthy925@aol.com.
  • Well, add me to the infamous list. I had a 2001 Grand Prix GTP. It happened yesterday. Came home back from the dentist, parked on the driveway, went into my home office, heard strange noise, came back out, saw the engine compartment on fire. Call fire dept. and fire was put out but not before the car was gone. Car was driving fine just before.
  • tandotando Posts: 1
    My wife was driving our 99 grand prix, with 3.1 l v6 home from work yesterday. She smelled smoke inside th car, and with 30 seconds found the seat getting hot. She got out, and found the seat was on fire under her!! Within minutes, the car was totally engulfed, and was destroyed. There were no heated seats, and she does not smoke, so it was not a cigarette...any ideas??
  • This is a totally new account of any fire in the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP I have heard of. The fire department that investigated my fire said it must have been a electrical shortage in the engine compartment. I am thankful your wife was not injured. These fires are getting way too common. I did fill out the online form with the NHTSA but heard nothing. :(
  • yea i did same thing-i just pressed down on it a little bit and it did it-i think ill wrap in some a foam sleeve or something-later
  • u know there was a service bulletin-NOT A RECALL-as i was told by dealer-catalytic converters are getting too hot-and the insides might be gettingflakey-anyway i didnt wait for anything to happen-changed it myself-maybe its something u guys could look at.-later
  • catalytic converter-service bulletin-go to ntsa web site and i think they have a list of all service bulletins and recalls-hope this helps
  • WOW! I went on line to find out the cost of a new or rebuilt 3800 II engine for my 98 GTP and found this.
    On Valentines Day, I went to go out to get food at a store that was about a half mile away. I got back, shut the car off and went into the house. It seemed about only 20 minutes and I heard a noise, looked out and saw flames shooting out from under the hood. My car also ran like a top and went like a raped ape.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have insurance on my car, I bought it cash and didn't require it because their was no lien holder. It never got to the inside but totally wiped out the front end and did melt part of the windshield and dash.
    Not that I am glad but at least I know I am not alone. I usually do my research pretty good before buying and this was new to me. This has been my dream car since they came out with the GTP. My first car was a 68 Grand Prix. The car I had before this one was a 94 Grand Prix 3.1 and I never had a lick of trouble with it and it had over 300 K when it was traded.
    Now, has anyone had any luck on pursuing this obvious defect? If so, who do I notify. Both my Wife and I are disabled and on disability and that was our only transportation. I bought my baby with part of my disabilty check because I knew it was going to be my last car and I wanted it to be my dream car. :sick:
  • tommy231tommy231 Posts: 27
    The NHTSA is supposedly looking at 1999 through 2002 GTPs. Have there been pre-1999 or post-2002 GTP engine fires?

This issue is also being discussed at http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/05/nhtsa-investigating-pontiac-grand-prix-engine- -fires/#comments
    Sorry, that link was broken by the posting... try this one: http://tinyurl.com/36szls ...it is easier than trying to paste it back together and it goes to the same location.

Here is a link to the recent NHTSA posting:
    http://tinyurl.com/3cljhx
  • gtp03dawgtp03daw Posts: 16
    Here's the URL to the NHTSA's defect investigation recently opened....

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm

In the search window use "PE07006" to pull up the open report...
  • Does anyone know anything about the NHTSA ivestigations? How exactly does it work? Will anyone be notified if they do find a defect?
    Messages 44 and 45 above have links to the investigation. You can look at the documents they have posted there. GM is due to respond on April 20th, at which point I presume their response will also be posted. I expect that in the unlikely case this turns into a recall, the affected GTP owners will be notified. Very few of these types of investigations actually turn into recalls, so I recommend checking back at this site periodically, as well as at:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/05/nhtsa-investigating-pontiac-grand-prix-engine- -fires/
  • dumpsterdumpster Posts: 1
    Well add me to the list. Yesterday (friday 13th)I parked my 1997 Grand Prix GT at work and with in 10 minutes it was in flames. It was not a GTP but it sounds like the same problem. I'm writing this so maybe people will understand the severity of this problem. My car was in a parking lot away from people and you're glad when you see these burn that it was not in your garage at home and no one was hurt. What is it going to take for GM to realize they have a problem ?
  • jessica9jessica9 Posts: 12
    I want to know if the nhtsa is only investigating gtps because i talked to a rep from the nhtsa and he said every message posted on this site was being investigated i have a 1998 gt. i need to know what to do with the car?
    There was an investigation on non-GTPs, but I believe it was closed. The only one still open is for GTPs. The one that was closed can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/29239v

The one that is still open can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/3cljhx
  • My 97 GTP caught on fire on April 27, 2007. I just had gotten to work about 5 minutes and someone came running in telling me my car was smoking. The car was burning and smoking for at least 2 hours. The fire marshal said that the fire was most likely electrical due to the amount of smoke. The body of the car is still in tacked but the engine is toast. I heard that GM was going to stop the investigation and either do the recall or not by April 20. Lets cross our fingers.
  • At this point, a recall would do those of us who lost cars no good,since there is nothing left to recall. Hopefully, at least maybe it will help someone else. :(
  • Last Saturday i drove my car home, went in and took a shower and went to leave again and my car was in flames. If anybody knows who i can call about this hit me up.
  • allietubballietubb Posts: 1
    MY CAR BURNED TODAY! IS THERE NOTHING GM IS DOING ABOUT ALL OF US WHO HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN!? GM DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE MESSING WITH! HAS ANYONE HAD ANY LUCK GETING ANYWHERE? :mad:
    I do have the email address of one of the GM investigators, but he asked me not to give it out on the Internet for obvious reasons. Therefore, I volunteered to collect contact information and forward it to him, but apparently this forum considers this offer some sort of weird solicitation and actually removed my previous posts (#53&#54). If you would like me to forward your information to them, please make your email address public in your profile and I will send you an email to establish direct contact, or send me a note via the email address in my profile.
  • Please contact me regarding the investigation information.
    I have done a few things to help protect my GTP from fire damage. I have posted the details of one such modification for the sake of others looking for a possible fix, in advance of any official declaration from GM or NHTSA. Click on "tommy231" above and then go to "Visit my Carspace page" and checkout my photo album where I show the before and after photos of the modification I performed on my car.

This modification should only be performed by a skilled Technician. If you choose to do this to your car, you do so at your own risk. This is probably not the single fix we've all been waiting for, but it does address an actual issue I found on my car.

I am not saying your GTP has this issue too, but it might, and I am interested in knowing if it does. It is fairly easy to check if you know your way around an engine bay. It is a little more difficult to actually fix if it has the problem.

The symptom I found was that there were two wires stuck to the side of the starter solenoid, which is under the front exhaust manifold. These wires connect directly to the battery without any fuse. They weren't completely melted through yet, but they looked to me like they might be on their way to failing.

GM has been notified of this issue and they claim they are looking at this as one of many possible concerns. It does not seem likely that this is the primary problem as it would seemingly exhibit symptoms prior to failure, such as blinking lamps on the instrument panel, or brake related concerns. However, nobody that has had a GTP fire complained of any prior symptoms such as this.... or have they?

Stay tuned...
  • my 99 grand prix caught fire on may 25 2007 i was driving home and it began to smoke, i pulled over and when i shut the car off, none of the locks unlocked and the windows would not work, by the time i found the manual lock on the door, there was so much smoke that i could not see the steering wheel. is there anything or anyone i can talk to or contact about this?? my e-mail is rebelmotorsports_11@hotmail.com
  • my 99 grand prix GT caught fire while i was driving on May 25 2007 my car filled up with smoke and none of the doors unlocked and none of the windows went down. GM needs to do something before somebody loses their life!
    There is an open investigation in-progress with GM and NHTSA for 1999 through 2002 GTPs with the L67 3800 Supercharged Engine for underhood fires (http://tinyurl.com/3cljhx). These fires seem to start 5 to 15 minutes after shutting off the engine. There was an investigation for non-supercharged engines, but it is closed (http://tinyurl.com/29239v).
    I looked at 2 other GTPs yesterday; a 1999 and another 2002. The 2002 had the same configuration as mine with the two wires coming off of the starter solenoid. However, neither wire was stuck to the solenoid, but they were both wedged under the positive battery cable such that a similar concern exists due to the pinching of the wires.

The 1999 did not seem to have the 2 wires, or if it did they were routed differently. The engine was too warm to look closer at the time. The 1999 seemed to also have different heat shielding surrounding the fuel lines above the steering wheel area.
  • 05toering05toering Posts: 5
    Looks like the NHTSA investigation has been upgraded to an Engineering Analysis as of June 12th (EA07-008) and the other GM supercharged models have been included. They should include the 97 and 98 GTPs as well since those are identical, IMO. The lead investigator said he would consider those years but didn't have enough official complaints w/the NHTSA on file for those years.
  • Please contact me regarding the investigation. I did send some picures to someone awhile back. If this is you, please let me know where the investigation stands. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Julie Haugland
    julie@rotarysystems.com