Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Engine fires 3800 series II 1996-2003

Comments

• My Pontiac caught fire on January 26, 2007 in my work parking lot. I had been there about 15 minutes when someone told me my car was on fire. The car drove fine before then and was well maintained. It was a total loss. Does anyone know if NHTSA or GM is still investigating this matter? It is amazing that GM is not willing to do anything after all the fires that have happened.
  • It's a pain for sure, my 99 GTP went up in flames within minutes of parking in 2003. Insurance claimed arson, GM denied the claim..4yrs later still nothing...Earlier posts have some links to the current investigation...
  • bedensbedens Posts: 23
    Paula,
    My 2001 Grand prix burned in March, 2006. GM is ot willing to take responsibility for all these fires. I did receive an email once from NHTSA but I haven't heard from them since.
  • Hi Everyone,

My 1999 Grand Prix Supercharge 3800 v6 engine caught on fire Saturday November 24, 2007!!I was at a car wash selecting my wash, and putting some of my things in the trunk when I smelled smoke...I looked up and smoke was coming from under my hood. A burning part of my car dropped down from under the bottom of the engine area and a worker saw it, and informed me because I was still in the car. I was alone, but I hurt my right leg moving quickly to get out of the burning car, and when they let the hood up flames stood about 3 feet high. Another worker went in the oil change shop that they have on the premises and got a fire extinguisher and put the fire out. The fire was contained under the hood. God was with me!, I am sooo very blessed..I am a single Mother of two beautiful smart girls, and I so grateful that I am still here to Mother them!! My car is still in the shop and for repair. I have never had any problems with my car, all schedule maintenances have been completed, and I have had the car 6 years...and it runs good! I truly love my car, the proficient of the engine, the get up and go…this is just mind boggling on what caught on fire, and the safety of me and my two girls! The shop mechanics cannot figure out what started the fire, and how to repair...can I get some advice from you all? Thanks..HotinDuncan
    You aren't the only one who has suffered a fire with their Grand Prix. I had a 2001 Grand Prix that caught fire and burned in March, 2006. GM will take no responsibility for the fires. I have been trying to get something done bout this for almost 2 years now.
  • There is a lot of information about this in the other postings here. The NHTSA and GM have an on ongoing investigation in progress. As far as I know, GM is still interested in seeing vehicles that aren't too badly damaged. I know of one car they purchased outright for the light damage it had, making it one of the easy ones to diagnose. Total-loss failures are usually too difficult to root-cause. Do you have any pictures of the damage? I can send them to the contacts I have at GM if you are interested. However, they are not likely to do much for you, if anything, until the official investigation is closed.

Tom
  • Wow! I have a question. You state that you had all scheduled maintenance done on your car. What was the last few maintenance items? Did you ever have the fuel system service/clean/flush? Valve cove gaskets replaced? I am curious as in researching the difference of the Supercharged 3800 vs. the non-Supercharged engine, there is a difference in the way the fuel rail system is engineered.

Glad that you are ok!!!
  • My mother's 99 Grand Prix GTP just caught fire last week, the liscence plate, tires and parts of the enegine were melted to the ground. I don't know if it was a 3800, but chances are based on what I'm hearing here. I don't know if you're still looking for replies but we'd be intersted in hearing what you have to say in terms of what information you may have, or something we could tell the insurance compay. You can contact me through email popcorn10_200210@hotmail.com.

Thanks very much,
    Rebecca.
  • You can click on the "prev" button below and read the previous posts on this subject.
  • The last few maintenance was an oil change, of course every 3,000 miles, pads on my brakes, tires rotated, those are the last few maintenace. Nothing to my fuel system service/clean/flush, and nothing to my valve cove gaskets replaced? I am not sure of the difference of the Supercharged 3800 vs. the non-Supercharged engine.
  • Your GTP has a Supercharged 3800 engine. The supercharged engines are the ones that are under investigation as they seem to be catching fire 23 times greater than the non supercharged 3800 engines. I understand that due to the supercharger the engine has a different fuel rail system that delivers the fuel to the injectors. I have read that there may be some speculation that the different design on the fuel rail system may be causing the fires.
  • battybatty Posts: 2
    Really? My 1998 Grand Prix with 3800 Series II (normally aspirated) engine just torched itself today. The bad news is that my wife drives a ticking time bomb of a 2002 Grand Prix, which has the same engine. I loved my car and want it fixed, but the wiring is all shot, the brake reservoir melted, the sound cover melted into the ever popular plenum that I replaced twice, and most of the gawking spectators have given my car it’s last rites. The adjuster will perform a review in the morning to drive the final stake through her heart and professionally announce that I am totaled. I want blood! :mad:
    My 2001 Grand Prix burned in March, 2006. I have not had any satisfaction since. I have contacted Oprah a couple of days ago. If anyone wants to go with me if she agrees to put this out there on her show, email me.
  • On Dec 19,2007 after some shopping I stopped to pick up a few groceries. When I came out of the store a fire engine was sitting in front of my car. A passer-by saw smoke and put the fire out. The engine & engine compartment are a real mess. Then I find out this is an on going problem. I may find the Insurance company wants to total my car. It is a 2000 Daytona pace car replicate. (only 2000 made.) I would like to see Gm do a recall & fix the issue. There had been no problems or sign of trouble.
  • My 1999 Grand Prix GTP caught on fire today! Bascially I was driving, saw some smoke, pulled over, and just like that it was flaming. I think it's going to be a total loss. Unfortunately it damaged another vehicle parked closely to it (it happened in a very busy shopping center parking lot). An onlooker came over and informed me that this has happened to several other Grand Prixs. Where can I get the info about the investigation by NHTSA? This was very scary......
  • 12-17-07: When i came out of the grocery store my '01 Grand Prix GTP engine was engulfed in flames. The fire dept says they believe it was a small gas leak near the fuel injectors. Car is totaled. I was only in the store about 15 mins. I have just started to do a little research on what i can do about it, but i did file a complaint with Pontiac Any words of advice here?
    Gary
    Don't expect GM to take any kind of responsibility. My 2001 Grand Prix burned in March, 2006...there was no kind of leak.....I filed a complaint with GM and nothing.
  • As many others have posted here, my 2000 GTP caught fire this afternoon - and melted the entire front of my Grand Prix. Uggggghh! I had no idea this was a common problem. Can anyone please give me contact info on the investigation? It unconscionable that they let this continue . . .

Thanks - Kevin
    Kevin,
    You can call GM, as I did when my 2001 Grand Prix burned in March, 2006, they will send some mucky muck person to check out your car, and then 2-3 weeks later they will tell you they can't determine the cause of the fire and they aren't responsible. Oh and you will have to have it towed, at your expense, to the nearest GM dealership so this person will have tools that he will never touch at his disposal. Don't think you will get anywhere with them. Been there done that.
  • Much of your luck with GM, or getting it fixed at all, will probably depend on how damaged the car has. Lightly damaged cars are easier to diagnose and repair. Cars that are burned badly are difficult to root cause. I believe GM is still interested in seeing burned cars, especially lightly burned cars. However, their interest is more for the data in support of the investigation than it is to settle with anyone.

As a proud owner of a 2002 GTP, I appreciate anyone that jumps through the hoops to get GM to look at their burned car. The more damaged L67 cars GM looks at, they more likely it is that they will find the cause(s). For the sake of the rest of us GTP (and other L67) owners that worry every day about car fires with our cars, please see that your car is checked out by GM if at all possible.

How bad was yours burned (please all reply)?

In my opinion, as long as this investigation at NHTSA is still open there is still hope for a recall, or at least open disclosure of the cause(s) by GM or NHTSA.

Here is the link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=EA07- - - 008&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

Lightly burned cars can be repaired and prevented from failing again in the same way, despite being totaled by insurance. There will always be good demand for these cars, especially once the cause of these fires is is known.

Anyone that wants to get their car investigated by the GM investigators, please send me a picture of their damage (click my name above to get my email address). I'll forward them to the GM investigators I was in contact with a few months ago. That is... if you haven't already sent me your pictures, as I have sent several car pix in to GM in the last months.

GM asked me not to publish their email addresses (for obvious reasons). I don't have any guaranty they will look at anyone's car, but I will get the photos to the right people at GM. I know they've looked at some of the cars I've sent them photos of in the past.
  • jmac74jmac74 Posts: 10
    My 2000 Grand Prix GTP burned Feb 2006 while i was driving it. My insurance company totalled the car and now I do not have anything to show for all the money I spent on that car. I would be interested in going on Oprah with you. Contact me with details.
  • I am interested in going on the Oprah show..This need to be addressed! Keep me informed.
  • I'll go on Oprah too. I was 8 months pregnant when mine started on fire
  • Keep me updated on Oprah. I would be interested in going too!
    I have not heard back from the Oprah show yet. But I will keep you informed. I may need to get emails so I can get addresses for them.
  • I was about to buy a 2002 Grand Prix GTP supercharged and then I came across this board ... quickly changed my mind about that purchase!
  • It wasn't mine but another one burned today. It was a 99 Buick Regal GS Supercharged 3800 (same engine). I talked with her she said she just pulled up to park at Wal-Mart and her daughter said she saw smoke. It looked just like mine (post #28), fire in the engine compartment. They need to do something about this.
  • dusartdusart Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have become another victim of the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP fire. As my wife was picking up my son from high school the other day our Pontiac ignited in flames. The fire department arrived and put the fire out. Unfortunately, the car is totaled. Like the other post on you site I was also unaware of this problem. I have many photos of the car if you would like to see them. I Believe all of us should get some compensation for this problem. There is obviously something wrong. Please send me the address you would like the photos emailed too.
    Thanks !
    Tom Dusart
  • dusartdusart Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have become another victim of the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP fire. As my wife was picking up my son from high school the other day our 2000 Pontiac GTP went up in flames. The fire department arrived and put the fire out. Unfortunately, the car is totaled. Like the other post on you site I was also unaware of this problem. I have many photos of the car if you would like to see them. I Believe all of us should get some compensation for this problem. There is obviously something wrong. Please send me the address you would like the photos emailed too.
    Thanks !
    Tom Dusart