Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix Engine fires 3800 series II 1996-2003

Comments

• After my car was totalled by the insurance company, the adjuster did some research about our problem. It appears that a federal investigation was done. The case was closed two years ago, finding NO fault to GM. The recall was on the GTP supercharge, and that was the end of it. Getting a new car this week. Hope I get at least Kelly BB value!
  • Hello again.... so 2 days ago, I received a call back from GM (because you know they never called me until I called them first) & Yes, they said that the fire was a result of the 'Campaign' as they called it. Just curious if they gave you an offer?? they ummm.... left me a message regarding an amount that was pretty insulting considering what my family and I have been through over this ordeal. I kinda laughed when I told her I did not find it acceptable and that I'd be contacting my lawyer.!!
  • Can anyone send me photos of the engine fire ? If so send them to mschitt@impactelecom.com this can be during the fire or after preferably after
  • I tried sending photos to the addressw above and it will not go through. :(
  • I have about 10 so photos of the car burning and the final product. Please give me an email address that I can sent them to. I'll gladly send you a copy.
  • grngtpgrngtp Posts: 14
    dimi1007,

I'd appreciate the pictures you have of your catastrophe. Please send to jdkeck46_att.net ( you know to replace the _with an @).

thanks,
    Jeff
  • Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear you are another victim of this terrible problem.
    my 1999 Grand Prix gt 3800 series engine caught fire in july of 08.
    A investigator came to look at the car and took photos.
    Then, the investigator called and , he said, he was flying up to look at the car
    again...I don't know why he wasted his time.....and their money.....later.....Gm called and sent me a letter stating it would be a breach of warranty to pay me anything.....who has a warranty on a 1999....My car had 125000 miles on it... I loved my car....I recently had it towed to the used car and wrecking...this broke my heart...I bond with my cars unfortunately. I have pics I took of the car after the fire... my son was driving the car it started smoking he pulled over on the freeway, it ignited into flames.. he called the fire department. Two engines responded....put the fire out....but the car was a total loss...I couldn't even get my car key out.... Because everything was power controlled.....my car looked brand new and was fully loaded and leather interior black ,, exterior red....oil changes all the time.. the car ran great...I now have a toyota....I will never buy a gm again.....I hope you have better luck than I did....erica b. Northern calif.
  • ihlihl Posts: 5
    Last March 17 2008 my went into his girl friend house for dinner. 20 minutes later a neighbor came running in to tell him his car Grand Prix GPT 1997 was on fire. Gm told us tuff luck becaus we only had liability so we has it towed. two months later we get notice from GM that there is a fire hazard on this car. but with out the car gm say sorry charlie. Ilene Lish :lemon:
  • A couple of days before Thanksgiving (2008), My 1997 grand prix gt 3.8l not supercharged cought fire the same as others listed! I parked at my new home and when in to paint before I got the paint can open my neighbor ran over and said your car was on fire! The engine was trashed but the car's body was saved! My uncle is a mech. he when to find a new motor at the junk yard and found 2 other 3.8liter gt motors in cars burn just like mine. I have made a complaint with NHTSA and GM! Mine was not part of the recall! HAS anyone else had a regular pontiac gt go up in smoke?
  • OMG!!!!YESTERDAY(2-8-09)MY 2002 GRAND PRIX GTP CAUGHT ON FIRE AND BURNT (TOTAL LOSS)MY CAR WAS SITTING FOR 2 HOURS IN THE DRIVEWAY OF A FRIENDS HOUSE BEFORE CATCHING FIRE.FIRE STARTED UNDER HOOD!HOW CAN THIS JUST HAPPEN?I TOTALLY LOVED MY GRAND PRIX AND IT WAS WELL MAINTAINED.HAD ABOUT 80000 MILES ON I BUT STLL LOOKED GREAT AND DROVE AWESOMEI WAS TOTALLY SHOCKED LAST NITE WHEN I STARTED TO INVESTIGATE ON MYOWN ON THE INTERNET,HOW MANY PEOPLE THIS HAPPENED TOO.GM NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!!!!!!I HAVE ALREADY CONTACTED GM AND THE NHTSA AND FILED COMPLAINTS BOTH SAID THEY WOULD INVESTIGATE.W WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.I WAS TOLD THERE WAS A RECALL FOR FIRE ON THIS MDEL CAR.PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME FURTHER PLEASE SEND ME A E-MAIL@ lisa_latrans@hotmail.com I AM LUCKY, I HAVE A GAP INSURANCE TO HELP PAYOFF MY LOAN BUT I AM SILL LEFT WITHOUTA CAR AND I AM ON UNEMPLOYMENT ,WHO WILL SELL ME A CAR?THIS REALLY HAS ME PISSED OFF THAT TO NO FAULT OF MINE IM LEFT WTHOUT A WAY TO GO !!!!SOMEONE PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW WHAT I CAN DO!!!!!THANKS GM
  • I lost my father a couple weeks ago when his 2007 grand prix caught fire while driving and he was his trapped in his vehicle. The fire disabled the power locks and he was overcome with smoke. Preliminary reports suggest that the fire started in the engine compartment over the left front tire and spread rapidly until the entire car was engulfed.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of similar occurrences involving this make of vehicle. I understand the older models were prone to fires originating near the fuel tank area and that a recall was issued.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
  • So sorry to hear about your loss. In 2003 my 1999 went up in flames. After chasing GM down for almost 6 years they finally came out with the recall's which included my VIN. After NHTSA's findings that they then turned down my claim a 3rd time claiming that the "statute" had expired. I had two separate investigators look at
    my car, was witten up in Consumer Reports 2 times also. Both stated that the fire started somewhere inside the engine compartment somewhere on the drivers side....
  • On friday feb the 13th my father came home from work around 5:45 pm parked his 1997 pontiac grand prix 3800 not supercharged in the garage and went in to shower.By 5:55 the whole garage was in flames. It took the fire dept. about 4 full hour to put it out. Now the thing that I can't understand is how GM could only inform owners of the supercharged GTPs and not the owners of the basic 3.8 pontiac engine "not to park their cars in the garage". My father is an old man who worked hard all his life now lost his house and two cars because of GM neglegence.
    Anyone with some information regarding what options (my father, mother, sister and niece plus 3 cats that are staying in a hotel room at the moment) have please respond.

Angryowner2 :sick:
  • On friday feb the 13th 2009 my father came home from work around 5:45 pm parked his 1997 pontiac grand prix 3800 not supercharged in the garage and went in to shower.By 5:55 the whole garage was in flames. It took the fire dept. about 4 full hour to put it out. Now the thing that I can't understand is how GM could only inform owners of the supercharged GTPs and not the owners of the basic 3.8 pontiac engine "not to park their cars in the garage". My father is an old man who worked hard all his life now lost his house and two cars because of GM neglegence.
    Anyone with some information regarding what options (my father, mother, sister and niece plus 3 cats that are staying in a hotel room at the moment) have please respond.

Angryowner2
  • I was driving my girlfriend 2001 gtp Grand prix last night(feb 27th) and the same problem.I stopped the car and before the fire dept could arrive and get it put out it was a total loss the fire got out of control fast. I find out now she had no ins. but this is something GM should pay up on.I am just going to call a law firm I know that loves taking cases like this first thing Monday.
    Did the 2001 GTP have the safety recall work done by Pontiac?
  • sly_guysly_guy Posts: 4
    On March 3, 2009 the day after my birthday, I got home from work and went in the house and within 5 to 10 minutes my neighbors banging at my door to tell me my car is on fire. everything under the hood was destroyed. I was totally stunned because I could have been still in the car. GM is now investigating this complaint. I can't believe how many cars have caught fire like mine. something has to be wrong with that engine. What is GM doing to compensate car owners for their loses? if anyone has a resolved GM complaint please share the results because i'm pissed!!!!
  • jettechjettech Posts: 8
    Mine burned up almost a year ago...May, 2008. Same thing. My son had just parked it and within five minutes it was in flames. Fortunately I had it fully insured. I just received a letter from the insurance company stating that they are going after GM to recover their losses and my deductible. I will post any updates that I get from them, but given the current status of GM, I don't expect anything much to happen. :cry:
    sly guy, sorry to hear about your disaster. Did you have the safety recall warrenty work done by Pontiac on your 2003 GTP? I'm curious and want to know if fires are still occurring after the repair work has been completed.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • desi521desi521 Posts: 7
    I also had an engine fire in a 3800 series in November 2006. Mine was in a '98 Monte Carlo Z. I was actually in the drivethru of the bank when my fire started. I turned the car off & called the fire department after parking it way away from any other cars out on the lot. The stupid car turned itself back on (it was running & one of the firemen was actually holding the ignition key in his hand). The hood cables burned thru & they used the jaws of life to get it open. They also had to cut every wire in order to get the damn thing to shut off. They actually called my car possessed. We also suspected that it was due to the plastic intake manifold but at the time there were only 38 other documented cases so there wasn't anything I could do about it. My insurance company screwed my royal on the settlement, too!! :cry: I am slightly concerned as I now own a 99 Grand Prix w/a 3800 series.
    I also had an engine fire in a 3800 series in November 2006. Mine was in a '98 Monte Carlo Z. I was actually in the drive thru of the bank when my fire started. I turned the car off & called the fire department after parking it way away from any other cars out on the lot. The stupid car turned itself back on (it was running & one of the firemen was actually holding the ignition key in his hand). The hood cables burned thru & they used the jaws of life to get it open. They also had to cut every wire in order to get the damn thing to shut off. They actually called my car possessed. We also suspected that it was due to the plastic intake manifold but at the time there were only 38 other documented cases so there wasn't anything I could do about it. My insurance company screwed my royal on the settlement, too!! :cry: I am slightly concerned as I now own a 99 Grand Prix w/a 3800 series.
    Sorry about your fire, that has to be disturbing, especially if it started while you were still in the car. You fire sounds a little different in that the fuel lines apparently didn't burn through. With the engine still running means the fuel pump was still running. If the Nylon lines had burned through, the amount of fuel added to the fire would have added to the fire. Did they get the fire out before or after the engine was shut down? Did the fuel lines burned through eventually?

Jeff
  • Be very concerned if you own a 99 Grand Prix GTP with the 3800 series engine. Mine caught fire on my elderly mom's carport,November 1, 2006, did over $8,000 damage to her home as well as totalling my car. There are reports in here that even after having the recall taken care of, cars still have burned. :mad:
  • infinia1infinia1 Posts: 174
    what about a 99 regal ls (non-supercharged 3800)? i know it's not part of the recall, but should i be concerned about this? anyone have a non-supercharded 3800 fire? i park it in the garage too....i'm worried, but love the car with only 40k.
  • arfcarsarfcars Posts: 1
    I do engineering work for aircraft engines so I maintain my car more than most. When my 2001 G/P G/T was about 3 years old I got a faint smell of gasoline. Upon further investigation I found what you found. The plastic snap on connector from the fuel tank to the fuel rail would leak if you touched it.
    I disconnected the connector and could see an 'O'ring inside. I went to a dealership parts department and found the 'O'ring is not sold separately. I was told to purchase the entire fuel line. Which I didn't do. Unfortunately all auto manufacturers have parts like this.
    I carelully removed the 'O'ring so I didn't scratch the inside of the plastic fitting where the 'O'ring seals. Took the 'O'ring to Autozone and could not find this sold separately. However they carry an 'O'ring assortment in a blister pack that had one inside. I could see it through the package. (I think there were 14 'O'rings in the package for $7.00) I must CAUTION you that this 'O'ring is a pink color for a reason- the package MUST STATE for use in gasoline! A regular black 'O'ring will fit but MUST NOT be used-the gasoline will attack it.
    I measured the old and new 'O'ring. The old one is at the absolute minimum of tolerance for thickness. The new one is near the max of tolerance. I put the new 'O'ring into the plastic fitting and you could feel the resistance as you assembled it to the fuel rail because it is thicker.
    I changed this approx 41/2 years ago and haven't had a problem or a smell of gasoline since (and I look for problems).
    The pink gasoline proof 'O'ring is the problem. Change it and avoid a fire. You can do this standing up in about 15 mins.
    :sick: I feel as dumb as dirt at this point! But...What recall? Do you mean to tell me that GM finally got their act together and did a recall regarding the manifolds? I know when my Z burned, there were only 38 documented cases of the fires so they weren't accepting any blame let alone doing a recall, silent or otherwise. Are they now? Please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx!! :confuse:
    It did suck, Hugely!! I'm just glad I was in the drive thru of the bank & not driving on the highway or something when the fire started. The firemen actually had to cut thru all of the electrical lines up by the firewall in order to stop the stupid car. The couldn't understand it either. As I had a full tank of gas, we were also extremely grateful that it didn't explode or even that the battery didn't blow. The idiot from the insurance company said it was an electrical fire but we always believed it was due to the plastic intake manifold & now I'm just a wee bit concerned about my Grand Prix. As they physically had to hold me back from going to my car, I'm not sure which came first, the fire or the car stopping. I think that I was a bit in shock. Except for the hood, if you looked at the car from the rt side, you couldn't even tell it was burned. Even the interior was still pristine, except for having gotten wet, but it was leather, but it dried out really well. I even thought abt fixing it. The headlights didn't even break. Just the left quarterpanel was burned & of course the entire engine compartment was fried along with every wire harness being cut & burned to a crisp. I cried for a long time over that stupid car. :cry:
    The recall is only for supercharged engines. They replace the front valve cover gasket and reroute some of the wiring at the front of the engine over the exhaust manifold. There is more information in this thread, probably posted around March 2008.
  • sly_guysly_guy Posts: 4
    I'm at a loss for words and with a loss of vehicle... I'm wondering how is GM compensating vehicle owners for their losses. If anyone has come to a resolution with General Motors for their total loss of vehicle, please post a comment...