Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Versa Maintenance Schedule and Questions

2»

Comments

• I agree with changing the oil every 6 months even if you don't drive 3k miles in that time.
    I drive 1k miles per month. I used Mobil one synthetic oil in my old car and changed it every 6 months.
    I just bought a Versa 3 days ago. Will use Mobil one in it and go up to 7500 miles or 6 months.
    But for 5000 miles a year synthetic oil would be a waist of money.
  • tyou08tyou08 Posts: 16
    I have a 08 Versa. Does anyone have the direction on replacing the in-cabin air filter? None is written in the owner's manual.

Thanks,
    tyou08
  • rags2rags2 Posts: 4
    YES ITS BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX. AS I RENEMBER THERE ARE FOUR OR SIX SCREWS TO REMOVE THE WHOLE BOX. THE FILTER SLIDES IN FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. I REPLACED ONE LAST YEAR. HOPE THIS HELPS.
  • tyou08tyou08 Posts: 16
    Thnaks rags2. I'll try this once I have time.
    tyou08
  • I have the 09 Versa 1.8 L. HB. I looked at the oil filter area. Looks like I will need to remove a few of the bolts holding on the splash guard. Someone on this board said he could reach in with a cap wrench and get it. Wow. Flexible hands and arms, I guess. I bought a Walmart Supertech filter and the Walmart universal cap wrench, which fits pretty well. Whenever it stops raining and I have about an hour and a half of unfettered time ( rare), I'll give it a shot.

I noticed there are some really tiny and fragile-looking wires on this engine. I'm afraid to touch anything. Might break it. I was trying to get the cap wrench on from above, and my arm was rubbing against those 2 tiny wires going to the alternator. My V8 Chevy was so much nicer to work on, too bad it was a gas hog. :)
  • I just changed the oil and filter. 3,400 miles. The trick is to remove the 4 bolts holding the splash guard on. There are still some other non-removable ( or pita to remove) non-bolt things holding the splashguard on still, but you can bend down the guard, where you have removed the four bolts (easy) and get your arm into the slot, to work on the filter easily. I drove my V up on boards (front tires) to get it off the ground a bit. You don't need a rag, the oil from the filter just runs down onto the guard, and the guard has slots in it to let the oil drain right thru it into your collection pan. The orig nissan filter (made in china) is on tight. I could not get it off by hand only, had to use a cap wrench. I used a Walmart Supertech 6607 filter as the new filter. Its a quarter inch shorter than the Nissan filter. I used 4.75 quarts of 5w30 Supertech oil. Kept receipts for warranty. Cancelled my "free oil change" at the dealer. Now they don't have to touch my cute little V. :) :P :shades:
  • ahc358ahc358 Posts: 1
    Nissan dealer told me this morning that Nissan is extending the warranty coverage on CVT's to 10yr/120,000mi. Call your Nissan dealer because I think Nissan is going to reimburse for past repairs as well. Sounds like their stepping up to address their customer issues with repair cost.
  • neversaneversa Posts: 1
    My a/c compressor is fried w/ just 50,000 miles. The warranty is expired, but the car is only 2 yrs. old. I commute to work, but I take care of my car and have the maintenance done. Now the money I thought I saved on the price of my new car will now cost me nearly 2,000 in repairs. Has anyone else had this happen? My CD player was replaced for malfunctioning before 30,000 miles. Maybe that was an indication of things to come.
  • No Buddy.. I Hope it won't happen..
    Its better you choose some best nissan parts dealer and replace you old one with new original parts!
  • thgearythgeary Posts: 2
    2000 bucks for an AC compressor?? You need to shop around, shouldn't be more than 400 - which is still unacceptable for a 2 year old car - but still. In fact, when you say "fried" it makes me think that it could just be the clutch pulley that is gone, not the whole compressor, which would be even cheaper, only a couple hundred.

good luck and keep us posted.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• crown5crown5 Posts: 24
    Snow has been around for three weeks now and really cant complain about handling and control of this vehicle.
    Some have been criticising the Continental tires; I find them as good as many others.
    Bear in mind this is not an all terrain vehicle using common sense will usually not get you in trouble. The accelerator and steering also has lots to do with its delicate response to keep wheel spin to a minimum
  • jc55jc55 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2011 Versa SL Hatchback last week. I will be performing my own oil changes. I've yet to explore the underbelly - if I had, maybe I might not be asking this question.

Is there is good/safe lift point for a floorjack at the front end? If yes - where? Or, am I relegated to lifting from the side with a scissor-type jack?

The dealer recommended oil filter # 15208-65FOC. I've since discovered Nissan's oil filter list resembles alphabet soup - many varieties. Also, read many comments relative to the 'inferiorness' of Nissan's oil filters?? What's the current wisdom as to the best oil filter? OEM {what part number?} or Fram {what part number?}

One more question: I've always been one to disable the ignition system, to enable cranking the engine for 10-15 seconds before starting the engine. I never did like that second or two sound coming from the engine before oil pressure built up. If this can be easily done, would someone please describe the location and appearance of the disconnect point? Or, is this not an easy thing? If so, I will forego the ignition disablement.

Thanks ~ james
  • James,

See my post above about the protective plastic to be removed to get to the filter. I bought a Nissan oil filter from the dealer, with the Nissan logo on it. It acted the same as my cheap Walmart filters, in other words, it worked fine, as far as I can tell. Made no difference in the occasional knocking I get with warm engine, in my 2009 1.8 Hatchback. I asked 2 dealers where the lift points were. They were pretty clueless. They said to just look for "a solid looking spot". The Nissan mechanics there said they put the lift feet right on the thin sheet metal under the doors !
    I avoid the jack question by driving my V up on boards for the oil change. :)

TM
  • crown5crown5 Posts: 24
    Use car ramps or blocks, planks or similar devices.
    No matter how sophisticated jacks can be, best use support that wont collapse on you.
    By passing ignition may not be a good idea on modern cars.
    One can do more expensive damage on electronic components than will be done by a little air in the oil passages on start-up.
2»
This discussion has been closed.