Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Customer Service: The good, the bad and the ugly!

tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
Everyone has a story to tell about customer service whether you're on the giving end or the receiving end. Whichever side you're on the experience can be satisfying, a nightmare or downright nasty.

Share your automotove customer service stories here!

tidester, host

Comments

• fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I'm not sure which story to share first...maybe it will be the one where I got my car back after it was in for service and my vehicle was filthy with grease stains on the seats, steering wheel and door or maybe the one where they said it would take less than an hour to finish servicing my car and after 3 hours it was still no where in sight. How about the visit where the dealer was trying to locate a rattle in the dash and I get my car back with pieces of my dash cracked, screws missing and tools still laying on the passenger floor board...oh yeah and they had backed my car into a pole causing damage (which they did end up fixing).

Where do I start with all my stories......
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Where do I start with all my stories......

You just did! Now it's only a matter of filling in the details for us. :)

tidester, host
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 801
    Let's see...here's one automotive related:

several years ago, took my Chevy Beretta in for an oil change/tire rotation. Walked away to run an errand nearby, came back saw the car was outside, was told it was ready, paid and went to leave. Now the Chevy was a disc/drum set up on the brakes and of course the discs up front leave the tell tale dust on the rims. So what do I see when I get to the car? Yep, dusty front wheels. Back inside I go. Long story short, guys swears the tires were rotated "says so on the work order". I walk him out and ask him to explain the brake dust. No answer. Stick his hand outt for the keys, does the tire rotation without a word. No "sorry", no nothing.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    and I wait about a month. come to pick it up once it's finally ready, and it's been hit in the collision shop's parking lot.

the expression on the collision shop manager's face was priceless.

luckily it was minor and taken care of quickly.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Your story reminds me of a co-worker at my old job. He would always "pre-mark" his tires when he took his car in for tire rotation, claims he's been burned before by them not doing the work.
    That begs the question: Are those clowns still in business? :)

tidester, host
  • oldcemoldcem Posts: 309
    About 12 months ago, I took my 05 Sebring to the dealer and asked them about the loud whine the tranny was making at low speeds. They assured me that everything was fine - stating they all do that. 6 months later, the tranny failed and needed to be rebuilt. The dealer loaned me a car, and, indicated I'd have my car back in a week. The week stretched to 3 weeks - supposedly the tranny man was out with a health problem. When I finally got the car back, I noticed it was leaving large puddles of fluid underneath. Took the car back, and, the dealer had to replace both front diffential seals again. Got the car back and found that it was still had another leak, the front brakes were now warped from the wheels being overtorqued, and the air filter box was broken, and the heat shields on the engine were smashed. I contacted Chrysler on the toll free and filed a formal complaint against the dealer. Chrysler, in turn, had me take it to another dealer who fixed all the damage and tranny leaks in a competent manner. I have no idea how my original dealer stays in business, and, if Chysler doesn't rip down all the five star signs at this place - they're insane.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,472
    So now I had to replace the pump just so I could get the truck running so I could figure out how to get it to shut off.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I wonder if they'll put a block on me to keep me from writing long stories???

Nahhhh....I'm still here. Good stories bigal, keep'em coming.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Geeze those aren't long. Now my stories are long. I could write some multi-part stories that would be two or three times as long as yours.

It does make it easier to read if you break the stories into smaller paragraph fragments though.
    I could write some multi-part stories ...

Hmm ... would that be like customer service soaps?

tidester, host
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Basicly yeah.

I have some multipart stories on the sales board that are basicly soaps. I think there are four on one customer alone who is just totally crazy.
    We're all ears ... er ... uh ... eyes!

tidester, host
    this goes back to the late 1980's, when I first moved to the Hila. region (from northern NJ). Anyway, I had a Mazda 323. Liked the car, but it had a problem with the clutch (it kept developing a bad shudder when it was cold). ANyway, I may have had it looked at once before I moved, but the problem became bad after the relo.

So, it was still under warranty (I think the 24/24 powertrain piece), or at least I thought so. Anyway, I went to the dealer, and it front of a waiting room full of people, the service guy said too busy, since you didn't buy it here, won't look at it. But what really pushed my buttons was when he said that if it died and came in on a tow truck, he wouldn't let them put it on the ground!

I ended up going off on the guy at least once. Somehow I ended up with the name of the zone service guy, and by chance he was there once at the same time as me, and he interceded and told them to replace whatever it needed.

SOmetimes a raving lunatic in a crowded service waiting area does get attention!

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

since you didn't buy it here, won't look at it

That's quite a welcoming committee! I hope you reported them to the Chamber of Commerce. :)

tidester, host
    Hey, they aren't obligated, right?

They were busy, since they were the only dealer in a large area of south Jersey at the time. The next closest dealer was either 45 miles North, or over the bridge in Phila., and not particularly convenient to get to.

Besides, who is the C of C going to side with, some guy that lives in another town, or one of their biggest taxpayers??

• jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 5,540
    Is this thread dead already?

'09 Genesis V8 and '12 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

Would this be a good time to start my "Kirby" thread over again? :P
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    Kirby? That's one of those pokemon characters, ain't it?

j/k :)

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Would this be a good time to start my "Kirby" thread over again?

You'll have to run this by tidester. He might not want to contaminate his new thread.

jmonroe

Surely you, jmonroe and everyone else from "frontline" have interesting (automotive!) customer service tales to share! :)

tidester, host
    tidester, you had to put "automotive" in there didn't ya? ;)
    Because if you hadn't... I had an interesting experience at the meat deli today.

But, I'm all tapped out on new "automotive" stories guys.
    I do have an oil change coming up here in about two weeks.
    If the dealership screws up my oil change like they did last time then I may have something "worthy" of posting...as I will confront and ask for compensation.
    Because if you hadn't... I had an interesting experience at the meat deli today.

Hmm ... it IS Friday. Um ... what means of transportation did you use to get to the deli? ;)

tidester, host
    what means of transportation did you use to get to the deli?

LOL. I took the sub-way (deli humor) to get to the deli... or maybe it was my Mazda MPV minivan which is used frequently for automotive transportation purposes.

Anywho, I get to the deli. Some lady cuts in front of me..no big deal I say. Deli clerk takes my order of a pound of slow oven roasted turkey breast and a pound of Fischers Honey Ham. Well, I see her pulling some meat out of a plastic baggie, that looks as if it had been returned,and including it with what she is cutting fresh for me...she finishes cutting the ham and hands it to me. I ask her if I can get some fresh meat as some of the meat she had included with my order had already been "used". She replies that a customer ordered the meat, then handed it back saying it was the wrong type. I'm like...sorry...but I don't want someone elses meat. She cops a bit of an attitude, then cuts some more fresh ham...but uses the cheese saw to do the cutting leaving a deposit around the edges of my ham with some type of creamy white cheese(I don't care much for cheese) So, I joke and say I don't have to pay extra for the ham n cheese do I? She doesn't get it, and by this time I am to flustered to go any further with it. Like a good salesperson, she has worn me down with her "act" of ineptitude. :sick:

I took said cheese with ham & turkey, back to my means of transportation, which at the time was my Mazda MPV, which I used to transport my dinner to my place of residence.

Now to make this story even more "on topic" than it already is...substitute oil filter for honey ham, and 10W30 Valvoline in place of creamy cheese. You may have read something simiar in the "Oil Change Fiascos" discussion??
    Now to make this story even more "on topic" than it already is...substitute oil filter for honey ham, and 10W30 Valvoline in place of creamy cheese. You may have read something simiar in the "Oil Change Fiascos" discussion??

TIEDSTER, YO TIEDSTER, if you're listening, please let him tell a KIRBY tale, PLEASE !!

jmonroe

please let him tell a KIRBY tale, PLEASE !!

Well, okay, just this once but only if you come up with an automotive customer service tale of your own to share! :)

tidester, host
    Is that allowed ??

Of course. But feel free to edit as needed for suitability.

tidester, host
    Thanks!

For a moment I thought there was going to be a happy ending but I suppose it's close enough!

It seems to me that the quality of customer service in the U.S. has gone downhill somewhat in the past 20 to 30 years. If that's true then I suppose it's attributable, in part, to the greater complexity of goods that are sold, particularly cars and trucks. Maybe people take less pride in their work or training standards have been relaxed.

Is anyone here able to compare automotive customer service today to that of 10, 20 or more years ago? How about outside the U.S.? Does anyone have any tales to relate concerning customer service outside the U.S.?

tidester, host
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    From what you observed with work being done on the vehicles before they got to yours, I surely would have "NOT" left them even start to work on my vehicle. You must have the patience of Jobe. Just the agrevation of it all would be enough for me to have taken my truck out of that waiting line. (let alone have to wait a couple of hours to get a lube, oil, filter job at a supposedly Quicky Lube place).
    I am glad you told this story and that I completely read same....as I would now "NEVER" go to a Walmart lube shop (I never have before and will "NOW NEVER Do So".
    Amen to that!!!!
    o.k...maybe the ham'n cheese story stinks like 3 year old limburger. But, I really can't tell the Kirby story again as I am still waiting for kirstie to open a new Kirby forum titled, "www.kirbyisofftopic.com" :blush:

Anyhow, bigal's story on instant oil changes loosened a few cobwebs.

I believe there are Valvoline Instant Oil change stations across the country. For $28 you get the new oil, filter, they check all your fluids, some filters, adjust tire air pressure, top off windshield fluid,inspect for leaks, make recommendations on needed services etc.

Well, I pull in one day for the oil change(about 5 months ago). I have to wait about 10 minutes, then pull my Buick Regal into the service bay. You have the option of staying in your car during the oil change, going into a claustrophobic sized small room, or standing by your vehicle. So, I sit and watch them do the oil change and check my cabin air filter. The servce tech brings me the cabin air filter to look at suggesting I change it. Well, it looked as if a family of squirrels had been nesting in it...leaves, whirrley birds, some other stuff I couldn't identify. I tell them to replace it. The tech scoops his hand inside the air filter compartment and pulls out some more debris. But, doesn't make a second effort...which brings some mild concern to myself.

I'm driving home and notice a clicking like sound when the air conditioner is on. When home I also notice the oil doesn't appear to be entirely new. I'm thinking they were lazy and didn't let all the oil drain out. So, I drive back to Valvoline to have them check the filter and the oil. They check the filter first, it is full of debris from where the tech half-[non-permissible content removed]ed cleaning it out. The manager pulls a couple more handfuls of debris out. I start the car up...no more clicking sound.

Next, I complain that I didn't think they let all the old oil drain out. The manager replies that they could let the car sit over night and it would still be dripping some oil, the old oil itself is coated on the internal parts and pan. I say I realize that not all the old oil will drain out, but I thought they probably didn't let it drain long enough. Manager asks if my old oil was real dirty, as a little bit of extremely dirty oil will make the clean oil appear as if it is not new. I reply that yes it was pretty dirty, but had only about 4,500 miles on it. I say that it is possible that that is what happened. The manager offers to change the oil again at no charge, but I decline as I am not sure the oil change was done incorrectly. Any thoughts on that bigal?

Anyhow, even though the work wasn't done right the first time, Valvoline did try to make it right.
This discussion has been closed.