Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Towing

mrjb68mrjb68 Posts: 1
Thinking about buying a 2006 4Runner, but want to make sure it can pull my 2000lbs pontoon boat. Any pros/cons to the towing capabilities of the 4Runner??

Comments

• nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    The V6 has a towing rating of 5000 lbs. The V8 has a towing rating of 7000+ lbs. Either will do fine pulling a 2000 lb boat. I do suggest that you get 4WD to deal with slippery ramps.
  • My family and I are considering purchasing a travel trailer. Would like to buy a 24ft. Unfortunately that means giving up my current car - which I LOVE - an 05 Honda Pilot - mainly because it can't tow anything more than a pair of Seadoo's.

My question - I know the V8 is rated at 7000# but can the 4Runner really pull a travel trailer with a GVW of around 5000# well? What other vehicle should I consider?

I cringe at driving a Tahoe - don't like quality of American cars - especially paying that much money for a car with an interior STILL behind about 10 years - even though they recently re-designed the whole thing.

HELP!!!!!
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    Although I haven't towed a 24 ft travel trailer with my V8 2005 4Runner, my wife and I looked into this a great deal. The conclusion, and we were biased toward buying a 25/26 footer, was not to do it because of the 4Runner's short wheelbase, not because of the load. The V8 4Runner can easily handle the 5000 lb “loaded weight” trailer, but I'm afraid that it will/could be a case of the tail wagging the dog in some towing situations with a trailer this long. The bottom line for us (and we don't like this, but do love our 4Runner) is to limit our choices to no more than a 20 ft. trailer. Just my opinion that is not based on actual experience but rather on those I've contacted who seem to be very knowledgeable. I know there are some who do tow a 25/26 ft. travel trailer with their 4Runner and claim no problems, but I wouldn’t chance it. Hope this helps although it's probably info you didn't want to hear. :(
  • Went trailer shopping today and found a 22' trailer that is absolutely perfect for our family. It has a dry weight of 4545# - are there any websites you can recommend I look at that list formula's or recommendations on towing and weights and vehicles? Does a weight distributing hitch with an anti-sway bar change how a truck tows a trailer? I don't trust the car dealer or the rv dealer because they'll sell you anything sometimes so I would love to have a website that would help with these "newbie" questions.
  • I actually found the Outback by Keystone trailer to be to my liking the best. They are a lighter trailer (but not ultralight) and the best features on it are the rear slide Queen bed (so traveling your pulling a 22' trailer but camping it's at least a 24') and the rear bottom bunk bed folds up and the area become a bike storage area for traveling with door access to load and unload bikes and has areas to tie bikes down with bungee cords so you won't get the "thump, thump" everytime you brake or accelerate. I like the aerodynamics of the front of the trailer and the warm look of the colors and flooring on the inside. Nice, bright and airy looking too.

here's there website: www.keystone-outback.com The model I am leaning toward is the 21RS. The 23RS is nice too but lacks the bike storage area - instead it has a double bed with a twin bunk on top in the same space.

check them out - might be something you like.
  • zahrezahre Posts: 3
    I am new to this forum and need some help. We have just ordered a horse trailer. I have a 2002 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl. 2 wheel drive. We have had a class III hitch installed rated 5000lbs., which is our maximum towing capacity. We plan on having a transmission cooler and a trailer braking system installed this week. Would the weight distribution hitch and Air shocks be a good idea also? Or should we just go out and get a used truck for trailering? Trailer weight empty is about 2500lbs. We will be mostly hauling 1 horse about 1000 lbs.(3500 lbs. total for horse and trailer) around town for lessons etc. occasionally 2 horses for about 4500lbs.total for horse and trailer. I am new to trailering and I just want everyone to be safe. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • As you can see by my last post - on August 15 - that at least a week has past and i've learned a LOT about towing.

I've upgraded to a Denali as a tow vehicle and will end up with a lightweight travel trailer that will max out at 6440#.

For full control, best towing and safety you really only want to tow at 75% of your max. Being your max is 5000#'s you only should tow 3750#. Weight is weight - doesn't matter if it's a horse or a travel trailer. with your trailer and 2 horses you are 2000#'s OVER your tow weight. Not good for your car or for us on the road with you.

My opinion - buy a truck for towing the horse trailer and 2 horses. My friends tows her 2 horses and trailer with a Lincoln Navigator and it tows it with ease. They are actually looking into buying a smaller car for everyday use thus allowing to keep the trailer hooked up to the Navigator and they won't have to hook/unhook daily. Just load the horses and go.

You can do the opposite. Find a truck to tow the horses, keep the trailer hooked up and use your 4Runner for everyday driving. Also look into a good weight distributing hitch - such as the Reese dual cam, Equalizer or, if you have the money, a Hensley (though with the right truck that one could be overkill with just a horse trailer)

check out the following website to help you understand the whole towing/weight/safety issue. It deals with Travel Trailers but info would be the same for horse trailer:

www.rvtowingtips.com
  • Can a Toyota 4-Runner V8 tow 4500 lbs? Thinking of buying a 2006,need to know if the transmission will hold up to the towing.
  • A 4Runner v6 can tow 6400 lbs with a weight distributing hitch installed, and if planning to do lots of towing of any weight, a v6 should have the external tranny cooler installed. v8's already come with the external cooler and WDH so to answer your question, yes, the tranny is designed to hold up against the 4500 lbs you are talking about. Don't use "D", use "4" for the extra engine braking and avoidance of bogging down the tranny with extra shifts between 4th and 5th gears.
  • The Toyota 4-Runner V8 4WD can tow 7000 lbs (2WD = 7200 lbs). It already has the transmission cooler and weight distributing hitch as standard equipment.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Here is a great website that explains wheelbase vs, trailer length:

http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

Please note the 4Runner comes standard with a hitch - but it is not weight distributing! The entire hitch weight rests on the rear axle. To overcome this you need to buy either an "equalizer" or "Hensley" hitch. You can do a search. These hitches put the weight of the trailer on all axles. That means both axles of the tow vehicle and both axles of the trailer. (Assuming a dual axle trailer). And the tow vehicle will stay level if installed correctly.

It's complicated... read up on it. But DO NOT consider the weight of the trailer alone! The length must be considered.

I have a '05 4Runner w/the XREAS suspension and tow a 21 foot trailer (about 5,000 lbs.) with an "Equalizer" brand weight distributing hitch. IT tows OK - still some sway due to the 109.5" wheelbase. A "Hensley" hitch is better.. but costs about 3K. It would allow a slightly longer trailer to be towed.

Good luck!
  • jdowerjdower Posts: 1
    I am towing a boat trailer with my 2004 - 4.7 V8. The trailer is between 4500 and 5000 lbs. It pulls fine and has good control, I keep it in 4th gear while towing and it occasionaly drops to 3rd on long hills.

My concern is the gas mileage. Without the trailer it gets 18 - 20 mpg on the highway, but once I put the trailer on it immediatly drops to 9 - 10 mpg. Uphill, downhill, fast or slow does not matter; it is as if someone flipped a switch to low mpg mode. Once I remove the trailer, it takes about 30 miles of driving, and then the mileage goes back to normal. I even checked the computer when filling up and it is accurate.

I would expect some drop in mileage, but not this much, and not all the time. Any idea on what is going on and does this seem normal? Anyone else check their mileage when towing?
    When I tow my 5,000 pound trailer (shaped like a big box) I get 10 miles per gallon.

So, it seems that pulling about the same weight, our miles per gallon are the same.

It also seems that those who tow with Suburbans, get slightly less 8 to 9 miles per gallon.

I guess if you play...ya gotta pay!
  • Howdy, I have 2004 V8 4Runner and after extensive research I bought in 2005 new 25Z (25’ 6” - exterior travel length 27’ 6”) Jay Feather hard-walls trailer, dry weight 4635 lb, when loaded about 5400 lb., and I have put a lot of miles on it since. I have asked two RV experts to test drive the combo before I bough it, and they were both comfortable and found the towing safe. I use equalizers and anti-sway bar; it can get pretty windy in some mountain passes around here, and one can only imagine the wind load on the side of the trailer. I have never experienced unsafe conditions. One thing I should mention is that my trailer is fairly low and has TorFlex® independent torsion-axle suspension. I used to hauled “normal height” 16’ trailer with Ford Expedition, and am not finding any difference in terms of safety. Mileage? About 7.8 on flat, 6.7 up hill……best I had at speed of 55 miles about 9 miles/gallon (US). Of course this is only my personal experience, but I hope it might helps to someone who likes extra space in his/her trailer and owns 4Runner (V8); happy towing!!!
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    I think the "problem" is that when you are not pulling the trailer your car is shifting into top gear which is more efficient than your towing gear of 4 sometimes shifting down to 3. That is probably several mpg. Hope this saves you a trip to the dealer.
    According to all the research I have done, about 21" feet (take or give a foot) is all the 109" wheelbase of the 4Runner can handle.

I tow w/ an '05 Sport w/the V8 (2WD) (with the equalizer as well) and wouldn't want to tow anything longer than what I tow.

You will not find anything different in terms of safety until you get in a severe sway situation. The 25 foot plus length of your trailer will be the "tail" wagging the "dog".

Good luck!
  • geetgeet Posts: 1
    I always wonder what exact criteria the manufacturers use to justify a towing rating. The 4Runner V8 has all the power you need to tow but the short wheel base, small brakes, smaller suspension, cooling system, transmission and rear end make it a poor choice to tow much over 4500 pounds. I pulled a 5500 pond poat with trailer brakes and was pushed all over the road by it. I now use a 3/4 ton long bed pickup to tow with and feel much safer.
    My 4Runner has the tow pkg. from the factory. This includes transmission cooler, power steering cooler, and larger brakes are standard on the 4Runner Sport.

But all this being said - the wheel base is SHORT at 109.5". The information I have learned (and I did extensive research) is that you can safely tow about 21 feet. Anything more than this and it is the "tail" wagging the "dog". And I have an "equalizer brand" WD hich!

Ran in to significant cross winds coming back from Palm Springs, Ca this weekend. Even in a full-size truck you would have been pushed around. In my 4Runner towing a 21 foot trailer it was downright scary!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    In my 4Runner towing a 21 foot trailer it was downright scary!

That's a surface area effect; the greater the area, the greater the force of the wind! You do have to be careful.

tidester, host
  • I have a two horse bumper pull trailer (17', 4500# loaded), and I need to downsize trucks. I currently have a turbo diesel (way more truck than I need) and a small commuter car and I plan to sell both and get a midsize truck or SUV.

I am interested in buying a V8 4WD 4Runner, but I am concerned about the rear suspension. I don't want the rear of the truck to sink when I hitch it up. Years ago I used to haul the same trailer with a GMC Yukon and it SANK when hitched up! I hated towing with the Yukon, so I bought the full sized truck.

Any advice from people who tow with their 4Runners is much appreciated!