Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Lighting and Electrical Questions

Comments

• sfinstersfinster Posts: 17
    My son is 65 pounds soaking wet. I let him try riding in the front seat. The "Passenger Airbag Off" light remained lit as long as he was in the seat, which wasn't long, much to his dismay. He's back in the back seat until he can grow a little more.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    Boy does that Fit have a tight turning radius

Really? I did a quick check, and Edmunds puts it's turning radius at 35.6 ft. My Elantra's turning radius is 32.5 ft, and it's technically a full size class up.

• jrlncjrlnc Posts: 48
    Honda's official number for the Fit turning radius is 34.4.
    I felt that it was pretty good compared to my old Altima. Your Elantra has a VERY tight turning radius. It's even better than the Toyota Yaris (32.6). My perception is that the Fit is much more maneuverable than my previous car in parking situations.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,746
    How old is your son? Anyone that small should be riding in back anyway, which you recognize.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    The car is saying the oil is down to 30% so I'm starting to think about going to the dealership. Other than adjusting the low beam headlights, I can't think of anything else to bring to their attention.
  • I really noticed the low beams last night coming home from work. We had a power outage on part of the Highway. It seems as though they only go about 70-100 feet and just die! Has anyone had there low beams raised? If so, did it improve the low beams?
    He's almost 14, but he's small. I made his sister ride in the back until she was 15, because she was small, too.
  • atomzatomz Posts: 4
    I was in the dealership very interested in purchasing the Honda fit, when i noticed how easy it was to lift up the rear seat. I might be thinking way too much, but doesnt that seem dangerous that it requires maybe 5 pounds of pressure to lift it? I was even able to sit in the seat lift with my arm and dislodge it. If an adult were to have his legs in the space provided under the seat and there was an accident do you think he could pull it up with his legs there by dislodging it, and do some real damage to his back, neck or head? There is a lever to bring the other part of the seat down, why not the bottom? I really like the car but for some reason this is bothering me.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Just my observation from my own car, but when the bar of the seat bottom is in place and the seat back locked in place, it's there pretty solidly. I've always had to release the seat back to lift the seat bottom, so I don't think your scenario is that likely in mine, especially if the back passenger has their seat belt buckled. Their rear end would remain where it is, at most their knees might meet their chest. Can't see any possibility of them hurting their neck or head just because their knees come up. It's not like the whole seat bottom can come loose, the back of the seat bottom is fixed.
    It is funny you should say that about needing to release the seat back first because the first 2 dealerships i went too that was the case too. But this dealership the 2 fits i tried I didnt and it was easier to lift than opening a refrigerator door. That is why i was asking, what people thought about the safety of it and if it could become a serious problem.
  • I am not a parent, and definitely not a safety expert, but based on NHTSA's crash tests, it seems to me your son would be better off in the front passenger seat or in the middle seat of the rear. The rear side impact test only received 3 stars as opposed to the front's 5-star front and side scores (the rear seats don't have side airbags (torso), only side-curtain (head)). If the front airbag is disabled when your son rides shotgun, I would think that the side and side-curtain airbags would protect him more in the event of a lateral collision. Any other thoughts on this or am I way off base in my logic?

-Jonathan
    Where did you read that it recieved a 3 star rating? The NHTSA website only has a front and rear side rating so far both at 5 stars.
    I am sorry i was referring to the frontal for the driver side and passenger side. It was automotive.com. The website u listed was more detailed. The side impact rear seat with only 3 stars makes me even more concerned with that rear seats ability to flip up with very little effort. I am going to go back to one of the other honda dealers and check the seat out again.
  • els2023els2023 Posts: 29
    Dear My Fit Family,

Is anyone else getting fed up with American Honda not doing anything to fix the low-beam headlight issue which is a real safety issue?

I am putting in PIAA H4 bulbs to replace the standard bulbs. Has anyone else done this?
  • crimsonacrimsona Posts: 153
    Or just do it yourself. It takes like 15 minutes. Why bother waiting?
    My original message was asking if anyone else has experience with aftermarket PIAA H4 bulbs to replace the factory headlight bulbs in the Fit? Does anyone think this is a good or bad idea. I am not having good luck with the illumination of the low beams and they are supposedly aimed correctly. This is a real safety issue.

Also, If anyone can point me to a place that tells me how to change the bulb that would be great.

Many many thanks.
    Dear My Fit Family,

Is anyone else getting fed up with American Honda not doing anything to fix the low-beam headlight issue which is a real safety issue?

I am putting in PIAA H4 bulbs to replace the standard bulbs. Has anyone else done this? Does anyone have experience with PIAA H4 bulbs to replace the factory bulbs? Will this help?
  • jonniedeejonniedee Posts: 111
    I had a set of PIAA's in a CRV and they didn't last. (though they sure helped over the stock bulbs in low beam)
    Found the Phillips Silverstars worked as good, cost less and lasted MUCH longer... :D
    I think he probably would be safest in the center of the rear seat. I'd have to think about that one, though. Do the side torso airbags turn off based on weight as well?

The best would be if he'd get through his current growth spurt and gain some weight so he could sit in the front without turning off any airbags!

Mostly I'm by myself commuting to work so it's not an issue. Tomorrow I get to drive my daughter 3 hours to camp... my first real road trip. :shades:
  • therodmtherodm Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have about 350 miles on our Fit Sport. My wife's car actually and I have only driven a few times. Well, maybe I did not notice but this morning and then again after work (no driving in between) when I started the car the "Low engine coolant temp indicator light came on, light blue light. It stayed on for about 45-60 seconds each time and then turned off. It did not come on again while driving. I parked the car in the garage and started it after siting for 2 hours and the indicator came on for about 10-15 seconds. (By the way my drive home is about 5 mile so the car did not get very hot)

I called the dealer and they state that this is normal for the fit. The manual seems to indicate this also. I just am a bit wary becasue my wife has not noticed it, maybe it has always come on, not sure. I just want some feedback form other owners for peace of mind.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing whateveryone has to say about this issue.

Thank you all!
  • jrlncjrlnc Posts: 48
    I am sure this is normal for the Fit. I notice it every time I start the engine. It stays on longer in the morning (~2 minutes) but always goes off.

It is not really a warning indicator and that is why Honda made it blue instead of red. I think it is informational only, possibly to make up for the lack of a coolant temperature gauge.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Posts: 678
    The coolant temperature system on the Fit just gives the most important pieces of information. The blue light will always come on when the engine is cold...this is supposed to happen, and I would be worried if it didn't come on. I have found that after sitting overnight, it takes about 1 minute to go out. After that, no lights should come on while driving.

In the event the coolant reaches what would be close to "H" on the conventional gauge, the red LED lights up. If it exceeds the "H", it will start flashing red.
  • therodmtherodm Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have about 350 miles on our Fit Sport. My wife's car actually and I have only driven a few times. Well, maybe I did not notice but this morning and then again after work (no driving in between) when I started the car the "Low engine coolant temp indicator light came on, light blue light. It stayed on for about 45-60 seconds each time and then turned off. It did not come on again while driving. I parked the car in the garage and started it after siting for 2 hours and the indicator came on for about 10-15 seconds. (By the way my drive home is about 5 mile so the car did not get very hot)

I called the dealer and they state that this is normal for the fit. The manual seems to indicate this also. I just am a bit wary becasue my wife has not noticed it, maybe it has always come on, not sure. I just want some feedback form other owners for peace of mind.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing whateveryone has to say about this issue.

Thank you all!
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Posts: 364
    That's totally normal. To compare it to a vehicle with a temperature gauge, think of it as when you first start your car, the needle is to the far left, at "cold." This is when you'll see the blue temp light go on on the Fit. As the car warms up, the needle would move towards the center of the gauge, where on the Fit, the blue light goes out. If the car begins to overheat, you would see the needle move towards the far right on a gauge, where the Fit, the red temperature light will glow. At the point of overheating, the gauge would be at the far right, while the Fit's red light would begin to flash.

A dial-type gauge would require you to glance down and notice its actual position, whereas, if you think about it, the Fit's lighting system is more likely to grab your attention, when something begins to go wrong.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I dunno...if given the choice, I would still go for a conventional temp gauge. If nothing else, with a real gauge, at least you'd always know if it is working. With an indicator light, if it doesn't light up red, does it mean your engine is ok, or the light isn't working?! :confuse: :sick:
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    One thing about temperature gauges is that 99% of them now are useless as they have a noticeable dead-spot in the center. They move very quickly once they hit an upper and lower threshold, but inbetween, they hardly move at all, so they are essentially as useless as an idiot-light, since they don't actually show your real temperature.

ie - on my old Buick 160 degrees and 200 degrees showed as 180 degrees - there's no variation or movement until it hits about 210 degrees, then it shoots up crazy fast.

I think Honda realized this and just ditched the useless needle, since the mechanism behind/sensor is identical anyways.
  • Plekto is correct about the implementation of recent temperature gauges. They are designed to be non-linear so that people don't "worry" about the actual reading. That is, they will always be in the middle unless the engine is cold or there is an actual overheating problem. Therefore, they really convey no more information than the Fit temperature lights do. I really like gauges and thought that the "missing" temp gauge would be a problem for me, but after driving the car for awhile, I actually like the way Honda has designed the lights. Its interesting to note how fast the small Fit engine warms up - only a couple blocks of driving.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Posts: 678
    "With an indicator light, if it doesn't light up red, does it mean your engine is ok, or the light isn't working?!"

Everytime you turn the ignition key to the II position, every little light comes up on the dashboard. This includes the red "overheating light". If it doesn't come on then, then you know something is wrong and you can get it fixed. I was worried a little at first about not having the conventional gauge, but I am totally over it now. It's really not that big of a deal, and as plekto said, the needle gauges are pretty useless too.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "If it doesn't come on then, then you know something is wrong and you can get it fixed."

OK, fair enough. But lets say, 2 hours into your high-speed run across the desert in 110 degree heat, as you hurry home to the wife, after your visit to the Mustang Ranch at Vegas, wouldn't you feel a wee bit more relaxed with a real temp gauge? :P :shades: