Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Lighting and Electrical Questions

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    "But lets say, 2 hours into your high-speed run across the desert in 110 degree heat, as you hurry home to the wife, after your visit to the Mustang Ranch at Vegas, wouldn't you feel a wee bit more relaxed with a real temp gauge?"

It's funny that you mentioned that!

I used to have a 2000 Tacoma that had a real temperture gauge. For about a week one early spring I watched the gauge go up every day on my way home up the Grapevine. It never got close enough to the top to panic, but I did pay attention to it. Then one weekend, the first hot weekend of the year, we drove to Vegas. When I took over the driving in Baker and started up Halloran Summit, I watched the gauge climb and reach the top just as I got to Halloran Summit. While having some warning that there might be a problem was nice, it made no difference - we were still stranded in the middle of the Mojave Desert.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I thought you were going to say that you often make high-speed runs to the Mustang Ranch! :blush: (Does it sill exist?)

You're right that, with or without a temp gauge, you may still get stranded. But the way I see it, being able to see impending doom may at least give you a chance to take self-preservative action! (Such as stop and flag down the only car that would pass you for the next 90 minutes?) :P
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    if the temp gauge was reading warmer than usual in the early spring, it gave you an opportunity to have a mechanic look at it.
    the fact you ignored it isn't the fault of the temp gauge.
    you may have been able to prevent a unscheduled stop in the mojave desert
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Ah, that's the problem, isn't it - what is "higher than normal?" Most of the time mechanics say that if it doesn't get up to the high spot, it's normal and ignore it. I wasn't sure that what I was seeing was normal "going up steep grades at high speeds" or if it was an indication of a problem, so I waited to see if it would ever overheat (if I had taken it to a mechanic a vague "the temp gauge goes higher when I'm driving the Grapevine," they would have said there was nothing wrong). Guess it was my misfortune that the first hot day I drove it happened to be up Halloran Summit.

I do prefer to have a real gauge - however, my other car has one of those almost-idiot-light gauges. Maybe since I know that one is not much better than a light (I've gotten used to the idea), it didn't bother me about the Fit's light.
    "(if I had taken it to a mechanic a vague "the temp gauge goes higher when I'm driving the Grapevine," they would have said there was nothing wrong)."

True, but if you had added that you've driven the Grapevine lots of time previously and the temp gauge had never gone that high, then it may have prompted him to do a bit of diagnosis.
  • Haven't been able to check-out a Fit at a dealership, but I really want to know which (if any) of the switches and steering wheel controls are illuminated. I can't stand fumbling around for controls in the dark.

Those of you who know, please share.
  • fit_nessfit_ness Posts: 58
    I think the controls are all illuminated. I'm a couple of thousand miles from my Fit. I can't think of any controls unlit. I know the door and steering wheel controls don't dim with the gauge light dimmer, but they are not distracting.
  • The indicator is just telling you the engine is cold, and the light goes off when the engine warms up to recommended operating temperature. The amount of time will vary with how cold it is outside and how recently the car's been driven.

It's always best to let a car warm up before you drive it, to avoid putting undue wear and stress on its components.

I actually prefer the Honda light to a traditional temperature gauge! With a gauge, I would wonder, when is it warm enough to drive, how far should I wait for the needle to move? With the Honda, once the light goes off, I know it's fine.

And as this post indicated, I think it may actually have educational value. Drivers may not realize that a car should be allowed to warm up. Lots of people just routinely jump into a car an go and don't give it a thought, they may never have been told otherwise. If a car has a gauge, they may not look at it, they may think it serves no purpose except to indicate overheating. The blue light forces someone who might not know to think, "hmmm, why is that light on?" And then they may learn that they should try to avoid driving a cold car when possible.
    "The blue light forces someone who might not know to think, "hmmm, why is that light on?" And then they may learn that they should try to avoid driving a cold car when possible."

Those "someone" that don't ever look at a temp gauge likely also would not pay much attention to a little blue light that comes on and off.

Actually, I suspect most buyers of Fits, and others models in that price segment, are the "jump in the car and go" type --- the type that treats cars more as an appliance. Perhaps not most of the Fit owners that post regularly on this thread, but probably most of the general Fit customer base.
  • fitman548fitman548 Posts: 172
    I just found the adjustment wheels for my headlights. I sat in the dark garage with only the headlight lo beams on. I must have cranked that screwdriver 20 clockwise rotations, the passenger side wheel turning 5 or 6 times, and my headlights didn't move AN INCH up or down that wall. What am i doing wrong here?
  • True, but someone who may never look at a gauge may find their attention grabbed by a light. I think you're also right that many drivers--and in particular many owners of this kind of car--are car-as-appliance types, but still, they may want their appliance to be as trouble-free as possible for as long as possible, and being gentle while the engine is cold contributes to that, so if they at least _know_ that they should do that, they just might...

Though I just checked the Honda manual, and it doesn't actually suggest any particular behavior for cold operation. Hmm!
  • ....illuminated just when the lights are on or are they the type that are on all day regardless?

Thanx for the help...Aloha
  • fit_nessfit_ness Posts: 58
    All day. Always.
  • sgroffsgroff Posts: 3
    Yes, exactly that. I filled up on Friday, drove the car home and it sat over the weekend. Drove 15 miles to an appointment on Monday. All with no indication of problems. Came out of the appointment and turned the car on; lo & behold, "gas cap." It did go away by the end of the second day.
  • sfinstersfinster Posts: 17
    The instrument panel is always lit. I find that at night, they're too bright and I have to turn them down. If I'm driving with the headlights on during the day (if it's raining, for instance) I have to turn the instrument lighting up all the way in order to be able to read the radio display. Easy to adjust, though; you twist the trip meter stalk.
  • ilkirkilkirk Posts: 3
    I had nearly EXACTLY this same problem, even close to the same mileage.

I think it was due to overfilling the gas tank, to be honest. I recall pushing as much fuel into the tank as I could see fit, then after that one short trip, the indicator came on. I drove it for a tank and a half before it cleared itself.

I also called the dealer and they said the same thing. Tighten the cap, drive it a few days, then we'll clear it. I, obviously, didn't have to have them clear it, but I'll sure take the automatic cutoff's advice when I'm at the pump anymore.

The dealer also said to make sure and get several clicks out of the cap... its designed to do it, so I shouldn't be turned away by the horrible noise.
  • justjulesjustjules Posts: 14
    I noticed a couple days ago that when I have no passenger, the airbag off indicator is not staying on after the initial startup of the car. I'm guessing that this indicates that the airbag will deploy regardless of wehther or not there's a passenger in the seat (?). Am I correct that the light is supposed to stay on the entire time there is no one in that passenger seat? Or am I remembering incorrectly?
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Posts: 364
    You are remembering incorrectly. The only time the light will stay on is if there is enough weight in the seat for the sensor to pick it up, but not enough to allow for the airbag to safely deploy.

So, if the seat is empty, the light won't come on. If an adult/teenager is in the seat, the light won't come on, and the airbags are enabled. If you put a light purse on the seat, the light won't come on, but the airbag is disabled. If you put a bag of groceries on the seat, the light will probably come on, and the airbags will be disabled. The manual may state the minimum weight required to trigger the light, denoting that the airbag is disabled (because there's not enough weight for it to assume it's a person large enough to safely take the impact of a deploying airbag).
  • scubscub Posts: 4
    I wondered about this as with my last VW, a burned out bulb in the instrument cluster cost me nearly $100 to replace. It seems the lights in my Fit are on at 100% during daylight, and with no way to dim them. When you turn on the headlight switch, the control knob for the dimmer becomes active and you can dim to suit your tastes. I hope these are LED lights and won't burn out early due to constant on in daylight. It doesn't seem to address this in the manual, but I only pay half attention to instructions...as most guys do (or don't ).

Steve
  • Okay...BUSTED. I've been hopping in and taking off. Didn't realize I needed to wait for the light to go out. I wondered about that, but not long enough to do anything about it. Checked the manual, it said it was normal...moved on.

See I really didn't expect that jumping into a car that's been sitting on asphalt for 8 hours in 95 degree heat to REALLY need to warm up. Go figger! :blush: