Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xB Windshield cracks

Comments

• The person at Liberty Mutual was misinformed. No one offers a warranty that covers rock chips. :mad:

The regional rep contacted me and we talked in circles about how I was very unhappy about my 16 day old car having a split windshield after 1 rock hit in comparison to my 35 year old Datsun which has several pits but no cracks on the original factory windsheild, and the fact that no one warranties a windshield against damage from rocks. Eventually he offered to split the cost of a windshield with me in a show of good faith, but when I said I wanted to get one from an outside vendor, he changed the offer to half the cost of a non-Toyota windshield or a free Toyota windshield, but just this one time. Naturally, I took the option of the free Toyota glass. I suppose I could go to an outside vendor myself if the new one cracks from another chip. I'm not really happy about the result of this, since I'm right back where I started and it looks very likely that I may have to replace another windshield. Oh well, what's that saying? You can't look a gift horse in the mouth...

So what am I supposed to do if I get another split? :confuse:
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "Has anyone with an xB windshield crack had a front strut bar
    brace in place... If that would solve the flexing, they could fix this problem very cheaply and quick. Looking for answers."

I asked that question on ScionLife last winter in a windshield crack thread, while waiting for my xB to arrive. No one answered. I put on a strut bar at 500 miles, expecting some handling difference, but felt nothing. I took it off at 5000 miles because it interferred with so many service items, and again felt no difference in handling. As to whether and how the strut bar could prevent window cracks, I don't know. In theory it keeps the strut towers from flexing and affecting the camber of the suspension. The towers can only flex under fast, hard, bumpy cornering. Some windshields are cracking spontaneously, with the car parked.
  • My wife and I bought an Xb Sept. 14, our first new car.

It already has 2 cracks in the windshield.

The first happened overnight. It runs straight down from the middle of the windshield and turns toward the passenger side just below the rearview mirror.

I took the car into the dealer a couple of days later, and asked if they would replace it, as the crack happened overnight and my wife could remember nothing hitting the car.

They ran a pen through the crack and when it caught on the tiniest of pits (I couldn't even feel it with my finger, only when it snagged my nail) said they wouldn't replace it.

I chalked it up to dumb luck.

Over the last weekend we went on our first trip in the car. We put about 350 miles on the car and on the way back. We were hit by some pebbles from a truck (not visible to the eye) and low and behold a second crack - it appeared a few minutes after the strike. It again starts at the top of the windshield and moves down in a little curve, but is not as big as the first. I can feel a tiny pit.

I've had many cars and they have been hit by many things, the pebble that hit my xb was NOTHING! There is no way it should have cracked anything.

I decided to do some looking tonight to see if anyone else has had similar problems. I almost wish I hadn't found anything, because then I would assume it was just bad luck.

I no longer think that.

I am going back to the dealer and I am gonna raise hell.

I will let you know the result. :mad:
    I think there must be some stress on the windshield to cause these cracks. Usually the dealer can find a pit in the crack with a fine ball point pen, establishing the orgin as an impact. However, the cracks are not happening at the time of impact, but appear during the next night or the next few days.
    Perhaps this is similar to the action of a glass cutter or tile cutter, where a mere surface scratch weakens the material which can then be split with a little pressure.
    Perhaps the large flat windshield is stressed by the light flimsy box body of the xB, and a rock chip becomes the surface imperfection that eventually allows the stress to crack the glass.
    In that case, the immediate cause may be the impact, but the ultimate cause is the design defect of that windshield in that body.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,058
    It does sound like the windshields are under stress. I bought a new pickup truck that had a cracked windshield when I was looking at it on the lot, and the dealer changed out the windshield for me. 10 days later, the windshield cracked with nothing having hit it. They replaced it again, and this replacement cracked the next day. Dealer said there obviously was some kind of stress, whether the frame was slightly out of shape or what, I have no idea. But I assume they either pulled and pushed on things to alleviate that stress, or somehow fractionally reduced the size of the next replacement glass to give it a little room. 150,000 miles later when I got rid of the truck, no leaks, no cracks, and plenty of impacts, both minor and semi-major along the way.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Well, I took it to the dealer and he couldn't find any chip in the crack. Instead he points to a "chip" about two inches to the left of the crack and says that the "chip" caused the crack. I asked him how that could be since it wasn't even in the crack. He said that miniscule speck that we're calling a chip weakened the windshield so that it cracked. I asked him if he thought that was reasonable that a windshield would crack from something like that and he said "it happens." I gave him a printout of this board but he wouldn't read it. In the end I implied that he wasn't being honest and asked for the number to Toyota.

So I got back home and started googling some more and I found out that the Honda Element had a similar problem a few years ago. http://www.hondaelementscrack.com/story_rob.html There is a class action suit that is being settled now about it, apparently. I hope it doesn't come to that in our case. I hope they figure out how to fix it and issue a recall.
  • I saw this on the Element crack page freeduck posted

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • improvimprov Posts: 5
    Great find lsticky!!

I'm going to call this number and lodge a complaint. I encourage all of you with the cracks to do the same. Maybe we can get these rascals to take a look at this issue. I resold some Japanese made materials in a previous job and you can bet that the good folks at Toyota are aware of this issue, now let's get them to admit that there is a problem.

Thanks in advance to all of you for calling this number.
  • I opened a report and am supposed to hear back tomorrow.

The rep I talked to was professional and courteous. We'll see if they make things right.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,058
    While I understand the frustration with this problem, the forums cannot be used to solicit participants in a legal action, so I've had to remove the postings that were taking us down that road.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Evidently ScionLife.com has no such rule and their thread is still there.
    We would just like for Toyota to do for the xB what Honda did for the Element. Until the class action lawsuit, Honda did not realize the extent of the Element's windshield problem. As a result of data collected by the lawsuit, Honda made changes to the 2005 model that greatly reduced windshield cracks, and will reimburse owners for past and future cracks.
  • I have a 2005 XB with an anti-sway bar. I also now have crack in the windshield from a small flying rock on the highway. The crack started out as a "C" shape which I thought was strange. Now the line is traveling across the windshield. Obviously the angle, or lack there of, is one of the reasons why there is more damage than the average shaped windshield. Hopefully Scion will recognize that they have a design problem and will rectify the situation at their expense, not ours.
  • I called Scion and spoke to a cust.serv. rep. I told him I was calling with a problem with my XB. He said, "Don't tell me that it has to do with a cracked windshield". I said, "Obviously you're getting a lot of calls about this problem". He said, "Just a few". I tend to think that there are more than a few if that was the first comment the rep made to me without knowing what my problem was about. He went through the "Well, the rock on the highway is not covered under warranty. Try your insurance company". I told him that it was not an issue to take up with my insurance company. He gave me a case # and told me to take it to the dealership to see what they would do about it. So, I'm leaving in a few minutes. Wish me luck.
  • I just took my xB on a trip on the highway and got a chip, I have less than 400 miles on mine, I am sure that this will be the first of many I am going to go to the Glassdoctor, I think that chip repair is probably the only way that this will be taken car of.
  • In my first XB the windshield cracked while sitting in my driveway the 2nd day I had it. Now, after numerous problems with it, the dealership gave me a whole new car. Now this windshield has cracked. BOTH times it started from the frame came into the windshield then made a 90 degree turn. At no time did I ever have a chip or rock hit it, both times it happened while just sitting in the driveway. I love the car, but something needs to be done about these windshields.
  • Hello,
    What kind and how many problems did you have that would cause Scion to give you another new xB? Please list them all.
    Thanks, David
  • "... something needs to be done about these windshields."
    Something is being done.
  • It was a number of mostly internal things. Aside from the windshield crack which started at the frame, I noticed the drivers door had touch up paint on it, then when looking at the odometer reading vs. what the paperwork said the odometer should say I noticed it was off by hundreds of miles, then my insurance company contacted me and said they thought they may have a wrong number in the VIN and for me to please check it, I did and all of my paperwork had one VIN on it and the car in my driveway had another. I returned it to the dealership to get the window fixed, new paint job and corrected paperwork and when I returned 3 days later, they had not even as much as moved my vehicle from the spot I had left it. Finally the sales manager told me to just pick out another vehicle and he would swap it out. He did and I was happy with the car until ANOTHER windshield cracked in the same manner, from the frame out and then took a 90 degree turn. Now the past two days I have a light coming on periodically saying that the engine needs maintainance, and I just had the oil changed a week ago and the cars only 2 months old.
  • "... I have a light coming on periodically saying that the engine needs maintainance, and I just had the oil changed a week ago and the cars only 2 months old."
    The service light comes on to remind that it's time to change the oil, but the car does not know that the oil has been changed. You have to tell it, by resetting the light as explained on page 80 of your manual. It will come on again at the default of 5,000 miles, unless you want to change that interval. If you would like to know what is being done about cracking windshields, you can email me at allanatherton at yahoo dot com.
  • The one thing worse then a politician or a lawyer is………….a car sales men or dealership. Had the same problem that all the rest of you complained about but found no satisfactions. Called Scion and they passed the buck like Bush at a cocaine frat party or as a congressman on a page holiday.
    Look this all stems as I call it from the Microsoft syndrome. Make a product and if it doesn’t work run for cover till the next version.
    Each “CUSTOMER SERVICE” person I talked to had the same canned line… a rock hit the window. This rock had to be the size of a needle head cause the hole was the size of a needle point. But did anyone really care HELL NO AS LONG AS WE CAN NOT BE SEEN BY A PERSPECTIVE CUSTOMERS…they could give a #@!#$$%^.
    SO what I say is rather then foruming or blogging be active go down to your dealership and complain in front on the perspective customer…I am this Saturday at Crown Toyota in Cali….I want to at least save one soul from this hell….think of it as your good deed for the day. You may even want to return each Saturday till those dumb [non-permissible content removed] salesmen get the point…..make a happy customer and you will get great returns…………………..a DUH!!!!!!!
  • "... rather then foruming or blogging be active go down to your dealership and complain in front on the perspective customer…... You may even want to return each Saturday till those dumb [non-permissible content removed] salesmen get the point..."

Picketing the dealership to make them replace your cracked windshield?
    We are not permitted to discuss a certain other approach here. But if you will be needing reimbursement for your cracked windshield, you might be interested in how that could happen. allanatherton -at- yahoo -dot- com.
  • I did get my windshield replaced for free. The regional rep was not a good negotiator. I had a 35 minute conversation with him, which started with him telling me that there was nothing he could do about the windshield and that the company policy is rocks hitting the windshield are NOT covered by any warranty anwhere. I kept telling him how dissatisfied I was with the windshiled and that my 35 year old Datsun had a seriously pitted factory windshield and no cracks. I just kept hitting him that and wore him down until he asked if I would accept a new windshield for free. I accepted, of course. HA HA!

However, the fun didn't end there. The dealership had me come in and drop off the car, only to call me back 5 hours later to tell me they had to give me the car back because the replacement glass was cracked in the box. At least the service manageropened the next box before calling me to tell me to come in. Monkeys CAN be trained after all.

I have noticed that many older xBs I see parked around town have cracked windshields. One even had three cracks. Yikes.
  • I've had my xB for 3 months. I got in it after work, and noticed the same "L" shaped crack that starts at the top of the windshield right behind the rear view mirror, that others are seeing. I called the dealership who right away figured it was caused by a road hazard. I see no chips or markings anywhere near the crack. I'll be stopping by tomorrow afternoon at their request so they can take a look.

Oh yeah, they haven't heard of this problem either before this.
  • Well...the rest of the story, as they say...the service manager at Novato, CA Toyato Scion treated me like I was a complete idiot. I've owned cars for 25 years now, and have been dealing with dealers and their staff for 20 of those years, and never did I feel so belittled and humiliated as I did yesterday. I've been a proud member of the U.S. Coast Guard for over 20 years now, and our core values are Honor, Respect, Devotion to Duty...so I'm not one to start ranting and raving in public. What was fortuitous was having a couple of young sailors asking about my xB on Monday, Tuesday was the day I found the crack, Wednesday was the day the dealer treated me like they were happy to have my money already and had no further interest in me...Thursday was my day to steer those two young sailors away from that dealership. While I've submitted my input for the law firm collecting information for the class action law suit, I'm also a realist and realize the $300 for a new windshield is coming out of my and my families pocket. I had religiously bought American cars for the last two and a half decades...this being the first foreign car I purchased...and I believe in my heart that this was one of the dumbest mistakes I've made. Over the years, I've had very good luck dealing with American car dealers, most very willing to at least consider what you were presenting to them. Novato Scion Toyota pretty much told me up front on the phone that it was road hazard damage, sight unseen, then proceeded to try and convince me of how stupid I was. My automobile goal for the next few years is to unload this thing as soon as I'm able to break even, let any of my juniors know who care to listen about my experience, and to get back to buying cars from people who give a rats [non-permissible content removed] about me as a customer.
  • ...by the way...to their credit, they did offer to replace the windshield for me...

...for $410, not yen, American dollars...

...hopefully that service manage knows where he can put his replacement quote...

...and you others who have experienced the same problem? You also are irrelevant according to my Novato, CA dealership. Because, "You can read anything you want on the Internet. It doesn't mean it's true." Shame on you for leading me astray! ::big laugh::
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    Did you call your insurance agent and see if you were covered?

Dennis
  • I carry a $500 deductible. I was transferred from Virginia to California this summer, and we were amazed at the cost of living difference. It was one of the ways we were able to save a bit of money...I wish I had dug a little deeper when I was researching this car, if I had still purchased it, I would have left the comprehensive deductible at $100. In 25 years of car ownership, I've only ever had to replace one windshield from a road hazard, so I wasn't really expecting something like this. My bad.
  • I bought my Scion XB in August 2006 and I have a cracked windshield for the 2nd time. I want to drive the car to the lot and leave it. Do you know if there is somthing I can do besides just getting another windshield?
    Thx
    clemmons
  • On my first windshield, the salesman told me it was a rock and after a very heated discussion, I got a new windshield because my insurance does not cover it unless I pay 250.00 deductible. I worked hard to get my new car and now I am so disgusted with it. I want them to give me a new car because I do not want to go through this every 2 months. I am going to the dealership tomorrow. Wish me luck
    Thx
    clemmons
This discussion has been closed.