Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recharge Prius at Home on AC power?

Comments

• tpetpe Posts: 2,342
    You've totally misjudged where I'm coming from. I have nothing against the Prius. Well that's not true. I don't particularly like its styling. I am surprised to find out that it has more room than a Corolla. I drove a Corolla for a couple of years and averaged around 35 mpg, combined city and highway. It was a totally competent vehicle. I'd say that back then I used about 400 gallons of gas per year (14,000 miles) so today that would cost me around $1200/year. If I had been driving a Prius that got 50 mpg I would have spent $840 on gas for a savings of $360, not bad.

Here's my point and I'm sure you've heard it before. If instead of my Corolla I had been driving a 15 mpg SUV that could have gotten 18 mpg with hybrid technology the dollar savings would have been $470, around 30% greater. So I guess the message is that people who drive trucks really don't care all that much about mileage to begin with, which is why they haven't embraced hybrid technology even though from a dollars and cents perspective they'd be the biggest beneficiaries.
    I'm with you on this one. I actually believe that once electric vehicles(EVs) become more prevalant someone will devise a way for them to charge as they go on specialized lanes. I don't know if it will be slots but the idea is basically the same. That would totally eliminate the criticism regarding their limited range.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Except I think people still misunderstand the Prius. It's not an electric vehicle. It's a gasoline powered vehicle that uses hybrid technology to improve efficiency. ALL it's motive power comes from gas.
    The improved efficiency comes from:
    1. Use of regenerative braking to recover ordinarily lost energy.
    2. Because of the power plant design, it can shut down the "ICE" (internal combustion engine) when it's not needed to provide power.
    3. Because of the presence of the MG (motor generator) to enhance power, the ICE could be designed to optimize efficiency (atkinson cycle - lower power output).
    4. Use of a CVT (continuously variable transmission) to optimize the output of the ICE.
    I think people are pretty aware of what the Prius is. It does have a battery pack and it does have an electric motor, the two components required for an electric vehicle. If the battery pack on a Prius is always charged between 30-70% then there is always some capacity to store additional energy that can come from an outside source. This new energy could then be used to power the car, i.e. it would now be able to go farther. Whether or not this is a good idea or whether it will void the warranty are separate issues. In the case of the Prius the battery pack is so small any additional distance gained would be negligible. I'd guess that if you charged the battery from 70% to 100% you would now have maybe 1/2 mile of all electric driving before you were back down to the 70% charge that you started with.
  • I searched for hours and couldn't find a separate charger that specifically said it would recharge the prius batteries.

Recharging to 70% is fine for me.

Any ideas/links to find the charger for sale?

To be clear, people keep talking about electric vehicles, or modifications. I *do not* want to modify my prius, nor try to drive it as an electric car. I just thought it would be nice to drive the first mile or two each trip on electricity, since I must maintain slow speeds (~25mph) for about 4 miles anyway.

For people who get on some rant about switching from one form of pollution to another, perhaps this is not really a good forum to rant in, since a Prius is a small car, and you would charge at night, I don't think it would "load down" our power grids. I'm also not looking to drive more than a few miles on electric.

If someone comes up with a way for $500-$800 or so to drive 10 miles on electric at <35mph which goes into the Prius, even if it is fully house charged, I'd be interested, but so far everything I've seen is $3k-$12.5k which is not appealing in the least.

John
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    Any modification you do to a Prius hybrid system will void the warranty without a doubt. If you live in CA that is 10 years or 150k from new. The only way I would consider it is if I bought an old Prius that needed a new battery anyway. Then you could justify spending the money. You could probably pick up an out of warranty Prius for near nothing. There is one being offered on eBay with 110k miles for $4295 "buy it now". Says in perfect condition. Not salvage titled. Take it and invest 12 grand in Li-Ion batteries and a 110 volt charger and you may be the envy of Edmund's.
  • "I think that if you looked at the demographics of people purchasing these hybrids you'd conclude that they're probably smart enough to realize it isn't a money saving proposition. "

LOL the selling point of Hybrids is that they have high gas mileage and therefore it is implied they save money!

However, if you look at objective reviews on mileage measurements even the mileage savings is suspect.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • Host --

You have two threads that appear to be the same. May be they should be combined.

Look at thread "Plug-in Hybrids"

Cheers and Power-On'

MidCow
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    I drive an F350 Dually Crewcab diesel Pickup. I just bought a Prius and with the amount of miles I drive each week just to go to work, the savings are about $500-600 a month, or so I figured, only time will tel for sure. Your statement regarding people who drive big truck dont think about mileage is false. Most people who drive big trucks have an ego issue, and dont care that they are dishing out huge bucks to drive their ego mobile around. OTOH, people like me who have the truck because I NEED the truck, I have horses, would LOVE to have a diesel hybrid that got 30% better fuel economy. Currently my 8000# truck averages 14 -18 MPG depending on weather and traffic, highway close to 20MPG. Diesel is a very efficient system, and if the Prius was diesel we would be looking at better acceleration and getting at least 60 MPG city instead of the actual 48. Highway would be considerably higher as well. We really need to have more diesel cars out there, but people have this impression that diesel is dirty etc, when in fact it is cleaner than gasoline cars, especially when properly driven and well maintained. Check out the new Mercedes benz E series diesel, it gets better EPA ratings than most hybrids, including the Camry and Accord. The new Particulate filters get rid of the PM that you see coming out of the tail pipes of trucks, the black smoke, which is really the only bad part of the diesel, and what most people dont realize is the particles from that smoke fall to the ground, and dont hang in the air like the exhaust fumes from cars do. Ever been behind a car that the driver mashed the accelerator on? That stinks worse than my truck under a hard load, and guess what, those hydrocarbons are what go UP into the atmosphere. The only true bad emission from a diesel is increased Nox emmisions when too much heat is applied to the fuel, from too much boost, or fuel delivery for increased horsepower. A properly tuned and driven diesel produces less NOX, CO, and CO2, than the newest ULEV gas engine. The newest diesel, with the EPA junk added on meets the same levels as the Prius does.

If more SUV's, cars and trucks were diesels, they would get better EPA ratings, and put out fewer emmisions, people will just have to deal with the smell of the fuel itself, as the tail pipe smell is gone now from the new diesels.
  • jg6jg6 Posts: 70
    No Way!!

The Camry has over 5% more passenger volume and over 4% more cargo space.

You should have stuck with the "about" the same size.....
  • roland3roland3 Posts: 431
    ... acdii, the NOX is created by heat and pressure in the combustion chamber. The temp of the fuel preinjection is almost a nonfactor, other than if it is too cold it does not combust as well. Actually I would like to see some studies done on the fuel starting at 300 F. but ALL the manus seem to fear their fuel system components. The NOX is one of God's cruel little jokes, as heat, pressure, compression gives us efficiency and power especially in Diesel.
    ... NOX, might not be the worse thing to breath, as compared to CO, HC and particulate but creates the BROWN haze and receives the most attention. I am for clean air but I think exhasut gas recirculation is not the way to obtain it. For one thing in a big truck it takes fifteen more horsepower to drive the fan with an EGR system. This is a big problem for thirty years because CARB and EPA measure exhaust gas quality and NOT quantity. Not to mention that many of these EGR systems are failure prone a few years down the road. I believe that air quality will follow fuel efficiency.
  • chadxchadx Posts: 153
    I just got back from our annual trip to Germany (we have family there) and rented a BMW 1 series for a 300 mile one-way trip up north. It had the small diesel engine. With the manual tranny, the acceleration was nice and zippy, though it took some adjustment to get used to the redline being so low for a small car. Maybe 5k rpm.

On our drive, I averaged between 90 - 110 mph with plenty of runs up to 120mph (and I was getting passed liked crazy) and still pulled over 40 miles to the gallon (I had to convert from metric, etc). That car is rated at 50mpg highway, and I'm sure it would get it at legal U.S. speeds. They have an even smaller diesel that is rated at 60mpg. BMW is also making changes this year to improve the hp rating 10 - 15% but still increase mileage 15%, so the 1 series will be even better. All this without any hybrid technology. Oh, and they meet all tier 2 emission requirements quite handely. It's definitely a "consumer perception" issue, in this country, regarding diesel power and it's performance, cleanlyness, etc.
  • I am looking at purhasing a 2001 Prius with 142k miles. The guy I am going to buy this car from said:

The car had some kind of failure, so he towed it to the dealer.

This is what he told me:

The lights do come on the computers
    > are all energized. It gives an error code that the Toyota
    > mechanic says indicates the main battery. It is a different
    > code than what it gave when the inverter was bad. It will
    > not start since the electric motor is the starter also. Yes
    > I am sure that you can replace the main battery(which is
    > called the traction battery by Toyota) and it should be
    > fine. The mechanic at Toyota said that he thought that the
    > battery that is in it would be ok if it were charged. I am
    > just relating what I have been told. I really do not know
    > anything about these cars. You are welcome to look at it for
    > yourself. I am sure if you know about these cars you can fix
    > it but I do not know how. The mechanic who did some of the
    > work on it was going to buy it but he has lost his job and
    > moved out of state.

Let me know what you guys think about this car. I think it has been sitting for about a year.

ANY advice would be wonderful and helpful!

Thanks
    Ryan

PS I really want one of these I just can't afford a new one!
  • Stay away from that car. The 2001-2003 were no good to start with. Poor performance, poor milage, lousy cabin. If it was a 2004 or newer, I might take a shot.
  • I guess one of the first things I would do is to find out the cost to replace the battery. I have heard several figures but not from Toyota.

When I think of these Hybrids I immediately think of the childrens game where there are 11 kids and 10 chairs. Ring around the ROSEY is what we called it. Whoever is left holding the car when the battery needs replacing is in trouble.
  • Does anyone have anything helpful to say? I know how much the batterys cost at the dealer, I can also buy them off ebay for $1500. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and is it possible to repair this battery at home using parts purchased off ebay or getting a battery from a junkyard or is it possible to charge the battery or is it possible to recharge the battery using the onboard generator rolling it down a long hill? I dunno I am just thinking out loud.
  • Forget about Plug In Hybrids for a few years unless your driving is limited to 5-10 mile round trips. The present Prius traction battery will get you 1 mile if you're lucky. A $10,000 retrofit will get you maybe 10-15 miles before the ICE takes over or you have to recharge. My 2004 Prius, with EV, goes about 1/2 mile. Jim Woolsey, former CIA Director, has a specially modified Prius that gets him 40 miles to work where he recharges to get home. He would not estimate what the conversion cost. It was done at government expense and takes up the entire trunk and back seat. For very short trips get an golf cart or an electric car. A natural gas/ICE would be a logical replacement for a gasoline/ICE.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Just curious, you say you can go about a 1/2 mile on just the electric at what speed? Also Ford says up to 47 on theirs in which I can get about 44 or so for about close to a mile but trying to watch the road and the fancy dash makes it hard to tell for sure also that is using the ice to get to 50 and let it coast down to 44 where the ice shuts off and electric takes over. One thing I have never got it up to 47 from a dead stop as I just haven't had the time to find a lonely flat road nor the time plus we got it for our family car and mpg wasn't our first priority.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    >> Does anyone have anything helpful to say?

I owned one for 3 years before upgrading, then recently upgrading again.

The 2001 was really nice. Not sure what the "poor" judgement was in comparison to. Performance was fine (never any trouble merging) and mileage was too (45.4 MPG average for 59,827 miles).
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    >> Just curious, you say you can go about a 1/2 mile on just the electric at what speed?

42 MPH is the threshold for the models thru 2009.

46 MPH for the 2010.

62.1 MPH (100 km/h) for the plug-in.