Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My E-Class is a Lemon!

2»

Comments

• I would take my car to a differant dealer. Also contact the regional manager.
  • Here is the latest update.
    I brought my E350 in for service again (3rd time) and told them to fix it this time or I will make sure they will get the car back as a lemon.

It took them 2 days to fix it but I have no idea what they did. The invoice states following.

406716 FRT. WHEEL CAMBER/CASTER-L/SIDE, ADJUST
    (INSTALL BOLT KIT, PASSENGER CAR ONLY)
    1367 WMBC
    1 000-330-00-18 A PIN
    1 000-330-00-18 A PIN
    406717 FRT. WHEEL CAMBER/CASTER-R/SIDE, ADJUST
    (INSTALL BOLT KIT, PASSENGER CAR ONLY)
    1367 WMBC

Can anyone tell me what above service means in human language? :confuse: When I went to pick up my car, all the peole who could explain this were gone for the day :mad:

They also performed 4 wheel balance this time. On my first visit, they said there is no issues with the wheel balance and now with 100 additional miles, they said they were out of balance(?).

The car seems to drive straight now and it should not take long to turn me into a happy MB owner :)

Thanks in advance for your explanation.
  • Have an 06 E350 with 12,500 miles on it. Originally had a blue smoke upon startup problem, but software update apparently took care of this. Got in the car the other day and there was a strong chemical smell when the A/C came on that burned by eyes and nose and made me cough. My original thought was the the A/C was leaking freon, but I think this was not the case. I replaced the cabin air filter (original one was activated charcoal) with a new filter. The local MB dealer only sells non charcoal filters (clue to problem?). Finally took car to dealer to address the problem. Turns out, this is a common problem and MB has a "procedure" to "fix" the problem. Apparently the fix consists of thoroughly cleaning the inside of the car, clean out the A/C unit and spray the worst smelling sweet "perfume" you can imagine in the A/C. I don't know if the original smell is gone or just covered up by the sickening sweet smell. This is my second MB (had a problem plagued 2003 C before) and my retirement vehicle. The car drives great, handles great, gets up to 30 mpg on the highway, and I like the design. It is very discouraging to spend this much for a car and have this sort of thing happen.

I know that there are many others out there with the smell problem or MB would not have an approved fix. Would be interesting to hear from others about their experience and in particular from someone who knows what the problem is.
  • jhansjhans Posts: 1
    My 2006 E350 is a lemon too. It suddenly stops - nearly got rearended last time. Problem is the fuel sensor FLOT level which tends to get stuck.

I am leasing the car, and I have no intention of driving it again. How do I get rid of it or change it for another model that isn't a lemon.

Frustrated in LA.
  • About 18 mos. ago I bought a 2005 E320CDI with only 3500 mi on it. It has been great but it did come with an odor. Went on the net and did a search for a remedy. Don't know what causes it. Dealer was not able to get rid of it.What I found and did about it.
    On the site that I found--don't remember now what site they also sold a product for around $20 that you spray into the air intake. Did not use their product. But did use their recommended proceedure. As follows.
    Open hood so that you can get directly to the air intake under the windshield. Start engine. Close all widows. I then sprayed a good amount of a Lysol spray can (fragrance of your choice)directly in the intake. Have blower fan on maximum. Do this for 5-10 minutes. Next open all windows and continue for another 5-10 minutes.
    I used Lysol because most of these smells are from some type of mold or similar cause. Read the label on the Lysol as is recommended against mold. I would say that I got rid of 80% of the problem doing this the first time. Have repeated this several times since and no longer have a problem. These smells usually are strogest in hot weather.
    Worth a try. If all else fails there are outside sources that treat this type of problem. Usually $100 or more. Look in the yellow pages. Worth a try.
  • madmarlinmadmarlin Posts: 29
    How's your 2005 CDI holding up for you?
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Very well. Have over 25k and no serious problems. Plan to keep it indefinitely.
  • rjw2rjw2 Posts: 1
    Have a problem when turning the wheel to the right.The car makes a clicking noise
    Had them replace somethin some rubber things on axle.Made noise less for awhile but never went away.Dealer and top mercedes mechanic say can't fix maybe axle problem?? otherwise great car.Want to maybe upgrade but i think they don't make them like 98 anymore! Have 116000 miles.Take it upstate everyweekend in winter to ski great in the snow :D
  • whitey9whitey9 Posts: 138
    They adjusted the camber and caster on the passenger side. ( front-end alignment ), and re-balanced the tires. Perhaps rotated them too. Maybe crossed them as well.
  • Anyone else having 4Matic problems? When I turn the steering wheel sharply out of the garage I get a vibration in the rear end? MB said it was the AWD transaxle and replaced it at 30K miles. Now 60K it seems to be happening again but I am out of warrenty. Is this my tough luck or should I expect MB to repair?
  • pmp3pmp3 Posts: 3
    Hi, Have a '06 350E 4M and purchased replacement wipers - got the insert part, not the entire wiper. Anyhow, there are retainers on the end of the OEM wiper assembly that I can't figure out how to remove, so I can slide the old insert out, and new in. Anybody mess with these out there?
  • with 40k miles, i have a strange, sometimes hi-pitch wining sound that seems to be coming from the transmission area. has anyone else had this problem. if so, what is it, and whats the cost to repair.
  • imaxjrimaxjr Posts: 1
    I have an 06 E350 43k on it
    I noticed a small crack on the windshield, about where the rain sensor goes.
    Doesnt appear to have been cracked by any flying road debris.
    Could it be a stress crack?
    thanks......Jr.
  • Windshields will occasionally crack due to errors in the manufacturing process. Believe it or not, glass is a liquid and now and then during the "pouring" there are impurities trapped in there which might eventually lead to a crack, a shattering, or who knows.

A close inspection with a jeweler's "eye" should be able to tell you if there was impact or not.

Visiting Host
  • Just bought a 2009 3 350 and the nav unit keeps shutting down without a reason and the transmission shifts down to 2nd gear ! Have had it in the shop and they can not find the problem. Did you resolve your problem?
  • Just bought my Mercedes about six weeks ago. Have had repetitive problems with the tele-navigation system shutting down and rebooting at least 25 times. The dealor can find no problem after 5 visits. More serious is the car shifts into 2nd gear and stays there... have to stop car and restart to get it out of second. Dealor can not find out why this happens. Google search brings up similar cases for nav unit shutting down going back 3-4 years. It sounds like a major flaw in on board computer. I have contacted a lemon law lawyer and wna t to get rid of the car!! Anyone have similar problem with this model??
  • Hi Kbreeeze I had this problem. I will just write here what they put on my ticket to fix it. (Park Place Mercedes Dallas, TX Fixed it.)
    Guide Pulley A - V -belt ,
    Replace 201 W93 . 1 272 -202 -10-19 Sheave Pulley. This fixed the problem for me in on 10-24-07 under warranty, but I am starting to hear the problem again, this now on 2-22-09
  • Thinking about getting a 2010 E350 luxury sedan.
    Biggest worries are (1) reliability and (2) cost of maintenance. Any input on these would be appreciated.
    Realize that each dealer sets own prices, but what is realistic for the MB Owners Manual recommended services for first 2-3 years?
    Thanks!
  • Great car, never had a problem with it!
2»