Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 350

Comments

• Thanks chucko3. I'm scheduling an appointment now and hope this fix the problem becuase it's embarrassing pulling up to a stop and everyones looks because they can hear you coming before they see you.
  • I have read every post on Edmunds and all TSB's...But my big question??? I am looking at buying a NEW 09/10 have the brake issue and windshield issue been solved at the point of manufacturing, or can I expect to deal with this just like the 07, and 08 owners. Thanks for your help
  • I have an 08 and I don't know if the brake issue has been solved or not. It is a very aggressive designed brake pad that really grabs. The side effect is heavy brake dust and eventually the squeal. I was told by one of the more technically saavy people at the dealer that I need to be more aggressive in braking to keep them from glazing over which leads to the squeal. I eventually opted to have them replaced via the technical service bulletin mentioned above. The brakes now are not as responsive but the dust is less and after a few weeks of driving I adapted to them. The braking is still excellent.

So if the design has not changed on the 09's or 10's it is simply a matter of having the pads replaced, nothing that drags out once you make the decision.

I have never experienced the windshield noise problem. Otherwise, it is a great car that I enjoy driving every day. The AWD is great in the snow.
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    Do you still have the run flat tires on your GS AWD?
    My 07GS AWD still has the original RFT with over 38K miles on them. Tread depth is about
    5/32 left.
    The car had trouble stopping on wet snow (4 inch or more) a couple times.
  • I had trouble with the run flat tires from the day I drove the car off the lot. The car would pull to one side or the other with any inperfection in the road. The dealer replaced them with Michelin tires and the car handles beautifully in any weather condition or road surface.
    My 07GS350AWD does not pull on one side.
    The RFT tires are not that noisy as people said. I like them.
  • I suppose that whether or not run flat tires are noisy depends upon one's perspective. I have had two cars with them and by the time the cars had 10000 miles on the clock, they were embarrassingly noisy to me. The first time I thought it was a fluke but two out of two convinced me that the noise is reason enough for me to not buy cars so equipped. They also do not provide acceptable (to me) communication from road surfaces.
  • I have had to take my 2008 gs 350AWD to the dealer twice for the same problem. In addition to the brakes, when the car was cold, it felt like there was a release lag in the brakes. Similar to the transmission slipping when you let off the brakes and then feeling the tranny kick in. When I took my car to the dealer they did a complete replacement of my brakes including the calipers. This fixed the squeak, however no the lag issue. Now my tranny seems to downshift harder and I still have the lag issue. Does anyone else have this issue? I had a 2006 GS 300 and never had any problems, but I am a little frustrated now that I think the brake issue on the 08 GS 350 might have caused other problems. The car is great, but I do not think all issues are taken care of at this point. Any response is appreciated.
  • lz4004lz4004 Posts: 37
    hi; are these replacements covered by warranty or recall? or do dealers have a special?

thanks,wk
    Warranty.
    You can ask for a good will.
    I bought my first lexus ls 400 new in 1990. I shopped 3 lexus dealers and was told no discounts. I bought another new lexus 2008 gs350 from the same dealer thinking they would deal because my second. Same thing 18 years later. NO DISCOUNTS! This is ct. I`m not going to las vegas because they discount!
  • From the moment we drove the car off the dealers lot we had problems. The sound system was terrible, the Satellite radio would drop and then we went on to the screeching brakes and the rattle in the dashboard. The icing on the cake was the 3 ignition starters! We went to arbitration to get the brakes fixed; Lexus was dragging their feet until the 12000 mile warranty was up. They also tried to fix the rattle in the dash. One year later same problem,filed for arbitration again. Arbitration accepted our case and Lexus bought us out of the car!
    I did bring it to the dealer. They honored the warranty sb 0040, new pads, rotors and anti squeal shims. Problem fixed as well as brakedust too!
    Don`t bother finding another dealership for less than MSRP, unless it`s a previous year model or demo or late in current model year.
  • ara3ara3 Posts: 10
    Lexus (Toyota) is lacking in real pride of workmanship and character. I can relate to the story of the satellite radio not working, screeching brakes, and rattles. This is my second GS. First one bought back and they did it prior to arbitration to avoid that embarrassment. Second car went to arbitration because of electronic issues that they could not fix. Once they realized they could not fix, they stated that it was "normal" and that took care of that. Arbitration was denied, but arbitrators did put in writing that there is a defect (but does not affect safety, etc.). They lied during the arbitration (and quite professionally I might add). Someone needs for the powers to be to understand that they should truly be ashamed of themselves. They've been on top of the mountain too long and there's only one direction now for them to go: down. False pride and no shame. BTW, my car still has an electronic malfunction but no one dares to attempt any fix because it would go against management's ruling. Next car? Right...
    Can you tell us what kind of electronic malfunction your GS experiences.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    As the lease on my '07 GS350 expires soon, I'm leaning towards purchasing a 2010 GS350 (I'm aware new GS sheet metal is around the corner). I'll be turning my '07 in with 21,000 miles (ending a 3 year lease). With so few miles, do I have any additional wiggle room when negotiating a new car purchase? Thx.
    The climate control "auto" switch that when set to auto switches automatically (imagine that) between fresh air and recirculate, depending on demand, ambient conditions, etc. Once set to "auto", it should stay there and do its thing. With my car, on start-up, it comes on for a split second and then goes off, so that it then is in the "manual" position. No more "auto". So, it's then either recirculate or fresh air and stays there. As the outdoor temperature increases, this occurs more frequently. Winter = once or twice a week. Summer = once or twice a day, again, or start-up. All documented, and the dealer tried sincerely to correct the malfunction, but when Lexus realized that they could not/would not fix it, they decided it was "normal" and that was the end of that. The arbitrators did indicate in writing that there is a defect (that was the word they used), but during the arbitration, Lexus stated that this would happen in all GS cars. Believe me, that is just not true. So, when the "auto" light goes off, I push the switch two times and it's back to "normal" until the next time. Hope this helps. Shame they can't be honest and trustworthy, but then, who is these days?
  • nareshsnareshs Posts: 5
    Hi Guys ... new to the forum looking for advice. Looking to buy a 2009 GS350, the vehicle I am looking at has NAV, ML, Adaptive Variable Suspension and Pre-Collision. However, it is missing some of the more basic options such as park assist, adaptive head lamps with washers and rain sensing wipers ... how essential would you rate these features?
  • sjf74sjf74 Posts: 7
    If you are not used to having these features, then you will not miss them. Even having these features, I would not miss the adaptive head lamps or the rain sensing wipers, but I could not buy another car in the future without the parking assist. I use this feature daily from actually parking to just backing out of my garage to avoid other cars parked in my drive. Yes, I have backed around cars before, but I am able to do it quicker and with peace of mind that I am not too close or on the grass. I also have the back up camera and will not go without that feature either.
    Adaptive headlamps, cool, but not really dramatically important or noticeable. I really like the automatic wipers; they go one automatically, speed changes when it rains hard, and the intermittent "sensing" mode is very cool and works well...But.... If you don't have it you won't miss it. Park assist is great. Does the car have the rear (back-up) camera? Very, very cool and a great safety addition. That I love. Hope this helps.
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    IMO, adaptive headlights only help if you drive canyon roads. But even so, the HID are so bright and wide, you won't miss not having the adaptives.

Park assist..once you have it, its tough to give up. The back up camera helps but the park assist is a nice compliment.

Rain sensing wipers...IMO just a gimmick. I wouldn't miss it.
    Thanks for your advice guys, my 2002 ES has rain sensing wipers and I think that is what I am going to miss the most.

The vehicle has 11K miles and equipment includes MV, CS, LR, LS, PS, VS. Price is 40K, is that a good price?
    I have the parking assist, rain sensing wipers, back up cameras and the adaptive headlights with headlamp washers. I can do without the headlight package. 40k sounds like a great price since i paid 54k new for my 2008.
    They are also offering a 4 year scratch/scuff warranty on the body and wheels for $650/4 Years ... worth it?

Warranty is through CertifiedPlus.
    That warranty is worthless and should be thrown in as part of your deal. It`s almost 100% profit for the dealer. The warranty requires you to apply a coating every 6 months. In the advent of a scratch claim, good luck even if they resond. Remember,this warranty is not backed by the car dealer. You deal direct through CertifiedPlus. They will probably give you a color wax stick like the stainmaster warranty on my couch, a bottle of stain remover, which was no help.
  • calcougcalcoug Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a 2007 GS350, any chance you would want to sell me yours? I would like to buy one coming off a lease and make you a profit over your buy out price.
    Finally pulled the trigger on the '09 GS and I love the car with one exception. The ride is very harsh, feels like a 10 yr old car with no shocks on the smallest of bumps. It has the stock Dunlop runflats, the smallest speedbump on the road transfers a lot of force feedback into the cabin making for an extremely harsh ride. Is this normal, anyone have the same issue?
    Just purchased a '09 GS and have the same issue, have to hit Auto twice each time I start the car. Found any solution yet? Planning to take the car in to the dealer this week.
  • craig777craig777 Posts: 4
    this is Craig in Los Angeles ...pothole capital
    I own 2008 gs350

yes run flat tires are notorious for I Stiff ride.. especially if you running 245/40 x 18" wheels.

the only ride quality improvement would be to go to the other Lexus factory tire size of
    Non run flat tire .. 225 / 50 / 17"