Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer AWD 4WD Questions

gi_joeygi_joey Posts: 2
I have a 1999 explorer with the 4.0 sohc. The truck has 128,000 miles on it. I has been okay to me so far, wait there was those two times I have had to replace the transmision. I may be just a bit rough on her at times but she's, all n all has been good to me. :sick: Her new thing is she won't go in to 4wd at all and she flashes her 4WD Hi/Lo lights at me 6 times every two min. I think she is telling me she is sick. I don't trust dealers, because at about 60,000 miles they told me she would not make it back to my house (9 miles away) with the front diff the way it is. She still has not had a problem yet with it. I love her so i want to get her feeling better but I have no clue where to start. Please make her better doctors! Thanks for your time.

Comments

• expo1expo1 Posts: 5
    what did you do to fix
    hello, i have a 1998 explorer with 134k when driving both the 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights flash 6 times every couple of minutes. It has auto locking hubs, and when making left or right turns it clunks like it's in 4x4. any ideas? Thank you
  • I found out that the plug to the transfer case was loose. I found that because i went threw a small creek and the felt the 4wd kick in. so i put it on the lift and found a plug half on. I pulled it and cleaned it, then put it back on. Then i reset the computer. its been about 4 months and still have not had it happen again. I might have just got lucky but i knew something was weird when i got it wet and it worked. I hope this helps somebody. the main thing is to check all the plugs cause the trucks are getting older.. :)
  • My 4WD switch does nothing when I turn it to 4H or 4L. Also, when I start the car I dont get momentary illumination of the 4H or 4L lights. Fuses are all good. Any suggestions?? Maybe a switch or relay??
  • tmac4tmac4 Posts: 1
    I can't get my explorer in to 4 wheel drive? When I turn the switch, nothing happens, the 4X4 light won't even come on?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Need a little more data, like mileage on truck and previous performance, how often you use the 4WD, etc. However, it sounds as if your shift motor has failed, that's the most common reason for this malfunction. It's about a $500 repair to have it done. The part is around $300. It could be electrical, like a fuse, but that's quite rare. If your explorer has over 75,000 miles, I'm betting the shift motor is your culprit.
  • Expo1, did you ever get this one solved? I have a similar problem. '98 Explorer with 101K miles. The 4WD High and Low indicator lights blink 5-6 times a minute.
    no, i found that this only happens when its cold outside around 45 and below. read that the code for lights flashing 6 times to check 1) clutch & front sensor connectors. 2) clutch coil. 3) internal circuitry sensor have discontinvity. hope this helps, let me know.
  • My 4x4 switch will not light up or engage to 4x4. Does anyone know what the problem is...Thank you
  • news1news1 Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2002 ford explorer and i had problem with my battery that went dead few months ago.After changing the battery, my 4x4 light never comes on again; I checked my fuses,everything is allright; Can I get any help for this situation if someone can.
    Thank you.
  • I have a 2002 xlt 4x4 and had the intermittant flashing light issue. Took it to a trusted mechanic and he diagnosed a 4x4 control module. Said could have been actuator motor which would have been more expensive. Charged me $360.00 p&l. I also had a dealer check and they said the same thing, although they would have charged me $480.00. Got it done just in time for the snow in Chicago.
    Dave
  • redline6redline6 Posts: 2
    inappoprite abs activation at 20mph-0
  • I sure could use some help...I have a 95 explorer with an apparent early model of Control Trac. The problem with this system is that my options are, "2High, Auto, and 4Low", 4High is not an option. I drive in the sand a lot, and having the car decide when it wants to select 4 high just isnt working for me, I need to be able to select 4High and count on it locking in for me. Does anyone know how to modify the system to allow full time 4High in this thing? Thanks!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    There is no way. Sorry... :cry:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,454
    Do you have the same problem when you air down the tires?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jmdolan2jmdolan2 Posts: 1
    I have same problem with my exporer - anyone have solution?My 4WD switch does nothing when I turn it to 4H or 4L. Also, when I start the car I dont get momentary illumination of the 4H or 4L lights. Fuses are all good. Any suggestions?? Maybe a switch or relay??
  • jko29jko29 Posts: 1
    Hello

I had the exact same thing happen. Battery died, got it jumped then 4x4 lights started the blinking every 5-10 min and it wont engage 4 wheel drive.

Did you ever get an answer? I am still having the problem.
  • gnrosefangnrosefan Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 ford explorer 4.0 4wheel high/low blinking and universal/cvjoint (not sure which) is banging and told that my 2 front hubs are engaged and need to be disengaged i was wondering if there is a way to manualy disengage them with out pulling them out of the car even if it means i only have 2 wheel drive. I apprecaite your time and opinions thanks
  • jsimsjsims Posts: 3
    I have the same problem! Have you been able to find out what the problem is?

Jonah Sims

please send me an email if you have an answer
    jonahsims@yahoo.com
  • sounds like a bad axle, look under your truck and see if one of your front axles is loose. if their good then i suggest you take your truck to any shop with diagnostic scanner and they will tell you whats wrong with it.
  • gnrosefangnrosefan Posts: 2
    I have replaced both axles and both wheel barring hub assemblies on both sides i still have the loud noise when i hit a bump with left front tire. im running out of options of what it could be my next thing im gonna replace is the shocks see if that works.
  • allisonmiallisonmi Posts: 5
    My 4x4 quit working as I was driving into a blizzard this past winter. It was the first time in the past year that I needed to engage it, so I had no idea it wasn't working until I actually needed it. I was furious. Took it to Ford that week and they had to replace a part (I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it) which cost around $450.
  • cralcral Posts: 3
    i had that problem and found out it was the 4x4 motor which is on your transmission (about 10" long) i took a hammer and lightly hit it and walla fixed.

this is a common problem from what the dealer said and they were the ones that suggested the repair like that.

i own a 1998 explorer 4.0 sohc
    are you talking about the 4X4 shift motor on the transfer case?
  • Rocky....mine does the exact same thing ... 2002 .....did you find out what caused it and how to repair it? What about the wheel bearings......I replaced both front and now need to replace the rear...you have the same problem?
  • fillr68fillr68 Posts: 22
    I have 99 explorer 155.000 miles noticed that the 4 wheel drive engages going up hill or through a turn..its just started doing this..any help?
  • I have a mazda navajo just about the same as a ford explorer sport?
    Yesterday it snowed I put in 4x4, drove just fine. Today I went to put it in 4x4 and nothing light wont come on nothing, any one have a solution?
  • I have the same problem with my 92 Explorer. I know nothing about car parts so will you please tell me where to find the 4x4motor and also describe the transfer case too. Describe the 4x4motor too.
    Thank you :)
  • just bought a 2002 4x4 explorer limited. it has 3 buttons (4x4 auto) (4x4 high) and(4x4 low). what exactly is 4x4 auto? I notice the 4wd is on all the time, even on the highway. had my friend drive it forward and reverse while I was looking at the front drive shaft from under the hood, and it would move at both directions. is this normal? please help.
  • fillr68fillr68 Posts: 22
    auto is what it means rainy weather snowy weather if you have it in auto the 4 wheel drive will engage ONLY when the tires start to slip ,,its a nice feature plus it helps on wear and tear and gas mileage. yes the front drive shaft does always move if the truck is in a drive gear....you have a nice truck have fun........