Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer AWD 4WD Questions

Comments

• gnrosefangnrosefan Posts: 2
    I have replaced both axles and both wheel barring hub assemblies on both sides i still have the loud noise when i hit a bump with left front tire. im running out of options of what it could be my next thing im gonna replace is the shocks see if that works.
  • allisonmiallisonmi Posts: 5
    My 4x4 quit working as I was driving into a blizzard this past winter. It was the first time in the past year that I needed to engage it, so I had no idea it wasn't working until I actually needed it. I was furious. Took it to Ford that week and they had to replace a part (I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it) which cost around $450.
  • cralcral Posts: 3
    i had that problem and found out it was the 4x4 motor which is on your transmission (about 10" long) i took a hammer and lightly hit it and walla fixed.

this is a common problem from what the dealer said and they were the ones that suggested the repair like that.

i own a 1998 explorer 4.0 sohc
  • expo1expo1 Posts: 5
    are you talking about the 4X4 shift motor on the transfer case?
  • Rocky....mine does the exact same thing ... 2002 .....did you find out what caused it and how to repair it? What about the wheel bearings......I replaced both front and now need to replace the rear...you have the same problem?
  • fillr68fillr68 Posts: 22
    I have 99 explorer 155.000 miles noticed that the 4 wheel drive engages going up hill or through a turn..its just started doing this..any help?
  • I have a mazda navajo just about the same as a ford explorer sport?
    Yesterday it snowed I put in 4x4, drove just fine. Today I went to put it in 4x4 and nothing light wont come on nothing, any one have a solution?
  • I have the same problem with my 92 Explorer. I know nothing about car parts so will you please tell me where to find the 4x4motor and also describe the transfer case too. Describe the 4x4motor too.
    Thank you :)
  • just bought a 2002 4x4 explorer limited. it has 3 buttons (4x4 auto) (4x4 high) and(4x4 low). what exactly is 4x4 auto? I notice the 4wd is on all the time, even on the highway. had my friend drive it forward and reverse while I was looking at the front drive shaft from under the hood, and it would move at both directions. is this normal? please help.
    auto is what it means rainy weather snowy weather if you have it in auto the 4 wheel drive will engage ONLY when the tires start to slip ,,its a nice feature plus it helps on wear and tear and gas mileage. yes the front drive shaft does always move if the truck is in a drive gear....you have a nice truck have fun........
  • I have a 1992 explorer the electronic [non-permissible content removed] for 4x4 is not working is there anyway to shift this transfer case manually?
    not sure you can on those older explorers..on the later models there is a brown wire that can be bypassed ....I have seen the shift motors on ebay for around 140.00 ..Ford wants 450.00..that is what I would do it is easier then trying to modify your truck.
  • I have a 2000 ford explorer 4wd since 2001 and it has 70K miles on it. It has always had a rough ride when turning into driveways etc and it rocks you all over the car. It has a very stiff suspension overall. I would like to fix this and am thinking it might be shocks. What would you recommend to fix this problem and what shocks would you recommend. We don't tow a boat but if we did it would be no bigger than 18 feet.
    well my truck is a 99 ...same as yours...I changed my front shocks only because of the hard ride it had on bumps...that was at 100.000 miles....I bought a monroe gas shock very close to the diameter of the orginal Ford shock...the best way is to remove a shock an take with you when you buy your new ones...match for diameter size...some replacement shocks are smaller in diameter..meaning a cheaper shock and ride...and just the front shock change was a night and day difference,,,,,,,hope this helps...
  • how r ya. did not know if anyone replied to u but i have a 2001 that is lifted 4 inches on 33 in. tires and if i leave it in auto the traction control works almost the same as four wheel high.
  • pckidpckid Posts: 1
    I have been looking at some used Explorers. I have asked the dealers that are selling these if they are on demand 4WD but they don't know if the ones they have do. How can you tell by looking if the car has this feature?

I had a company Explorer that had On Demand and I traveled to some remote radio tower sites in all weather conditions and never got stuck so I would like that option if I can find a vehicle with it.

Thanks

Gary
  • jonboymvjonboymv Posts: 2
    My truck is stuck on 4 high. I have the switch on auto which is my only 2wd option. I have tried putting the truck in neutral and switching it but that doesn't work .I just put brand new tires on it to see if that would help but it didn't. Can someone please help me!!!!
    are all the tires the same size??? are the front tires balanced ???..its does matter....otherwise it maybe your shiftmotor...you can unhook the motor..or you can remove the front driveshaft...I had a unbalanced tire that caused this...any front end vibration can cause the auto 4 wheel drive to engage....hope this helps
  • jonboymvjonboymv Posts: 2
    The tires are balanced, same size and all. Can I unhook shift motor myself or do I have to bring it to a mechanic?? Thanks for the help and anymore you can send my way!!!