Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Acura RDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• srizvi1srizvi1 Posts: 233
    $35,196 for the 2013 RDX FWD Tech seems pretty good. I was at $37.5k-ish for my 2013 AWD Tech and I don't thin the AWD is a $2.5k-ish option so I think you got a really stellar price.

For all the people who are in FL, you guys are all doing FWD Tech, not AWD Tech? I know you don't get winter weather down there but I think there are some other advantages to having AWD like the distribution of which wheels handle the load to help with MPG.. but yeah, I don't know if it's worth the cost for AWD.
  • Srizvi, I used to live in NY and had my share of winter time, I believe spending the xtra money in the AWD option here in FL is not worth it
  • Yeah you really don't need the AWD here in florida but if you are towing i recommend it, at any rate the new Acura RDX AWD are not SH which is super handling like the older ones but is still good. Even if you live up north on a FWD with snow tires you can probably get away with it..
  • email me sunnyfl1 your email is not working for me, mines is aalvarez2929@aol.com
  • What gas octane is everyone using on the 2013 Acura RDX, I heard octane 87 is not recommended? Haven't fueled up car yet just bought it.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,458
    the manual is pretty clear that regular is not supposed to be used, but stops short of saying you can't. I think it is less strict about mid-grade.

I have just bit the bullet and put in premium. figure that I don't want to take chances, considering I plan to keep this a real long time!

there is also the "why did you spend so much on a car if you can't afford the gas" aspect!

FWIW, I also have a 2000 3.2TL. Originally my sisters. When she first got it (new), she tried regular, and it was not at all happy about it. So she tried mid-grade, and it seemed fine, and that is what it has had ever since (up to 168K now). Once in a while I put in premium, and honestly did not notice the difference.

But, if you try regular, please let us all know how it goes!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• No problems at all running 87 almost all of the time in our RDX with ~2400 miles. Filled with 93 a couple of times and can't tell a difference. I do try to stick with branded gasoline, especially Chevron and Shell with their extra cleaning agents.

BTW, if I run 87 vs 93 in both of our vehicles, I save ~$600/year...nothing to sneeze at. ;)
  • Yes sunnyfl1 give me an email so I can get yours, its not working the email you gave me. Here is my email aalvarez2929@aol.com
    Yesterday was the first time I had to fill up gas on my own in our 2013 Acura RDX AWD Tech. It was purchased new a week ago.

I found this thread: "Regular or Premium" on acurazine ( http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859183 ) and read through it. I didn't find anything conclusive to go with premium over regular. I'd rather save the $5 at the gas tank everytime I fill up. Here's a link to my specific post in that thread: http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14196740#post14196740
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,996
    Below is a direct copy from the online RDX owners manual.

Fuel recommendation

Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher

Use of lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noise in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
    Use of gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage

You will notice that it clearly states "fuel RECOMMENDATION". Manufacturers make a distinct difference between "recommendation" and "required". I believe it's clear that Acura allows 87 octane but performance will be affected. They do make a point of not using anything less than 87 octane which I don't even know if that is available or not.

I thinks it's a personal decision. Some people like to play the ego game and say "well, if you buy an Acura you shouldn't be cheap and put regular in it". I don't view it as cheap....I view it as frugal. Maybe somebody doesn't need all the horses that premium provides. I know a dealer service manager that has a 10 year old TL and has never used premium it. I personally use premium but I did use one tank of regular and the only thing I noticed was that it appeared to drop my MPG by one mpg. I have a couple of vehicles that I switch off and am retired so I don't put a ton of miles on so premium is not a problem price wise. But I can understand if someone puts a lot of miles on that it could make a big difference over time. Premium is sometimes .40 to .45 more per gallon than regular where I live at upper tier stations. So a 10% increase in price versus a possible 4% decrease in mpg may appeal to some people. I'm not one to say they shouldn't as it's their car, not mine.
  • Hello srizv1 so what gas did you pump 87,91, or 93 Octane?
  • I just wanted to post my buying experience as I actively followed this thread prior to my purchase. I purchased a AWD without Tech in the DC area for 33995 including the freight charge (33100+895), plus TTL. I felt like that was a pretty reasonable deal based on others posts. Hopefully it helps others have an idea.
    a strong price. I got my AWD non-tech on 8/31 for $33,500 (inc. freight) but that was a "if you can take it today only" deal.

You did good.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• You got it right on invoice stick guy but kkmar did not pay too much over invoice either, so I would say it's a good deal. Most people may just a little under msrp. I assume the prices you guys got the car you need to add the fees, tax correct? Because when I bought mines I had to pay the other things
  • Of course, had to add taxes, tag, etc, but didn't include those cause I figure it's generally not negotiable. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the invoice should be around 34,400 with the destination charge, right? Or the destination included in the 33,540 invoice listed everywhere?
  • Yes thats correct kkumar you need to add destination which will put the vehicle value at 34,435.00. How much was the dealer fee in your location. Where I'm from in florida is from 599.00 up to 799.00. Look at this sitehttp://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2013/Acura/RDX/AWD-4dr/Pricing
    I was $3,115 below MSRP, and I think about 1K below invoice. And my price included destination.

the only think I had to add was the NJ DMV fees (registration and taxes) and a dealer doc fee of $199.

• Dealer fee was 399 (not included), but the destination charge was included in the price I paid.
  • I paid 35,196.00 for the 2013 ACURA RDX TECH FWD, plus the fees
    In my 2013 RDX AWD Tech, I pumped 87 (regular around here) gas in my first fillup. As I said, I'm not convinced from the discussions that going with Premium will really benefit me much. Seems the claims are that if you go with Premium you'll get a) maximum performance and b) best long term engine health. My 2008 Lexus IS 350, the car I had before this one and was traded in for this, said to put in premium only and that's what I did. This car says that Premium is "recommended."

I'm curious on what gas is in the car when it comes to you. Also, when you buy the car they do a fillup for you. I'm curious as to what gas is put in tduring that fillup too. I bought it with only 5 miles on the odometer so it wasn't much gas
  • Im about ready to fuel up the rdx for the first time, manual saids you should use 91 octane or higher. Anything under 91 octane can cause engine knocking sound and eventually failure. Im uncertain of that any thought's?
    I honestly don't know... I know what the manual is saying, I know what the brochure said. But don't forget, all the Acura salesman nationwide are pushing that you don't need premium gas anymore. That was one of the first things mentioned to me when I was at the Acura dealer looking at the car. Same thing happened at Lexus when I was looking at the RX350. At the time of consideration, when I brought up what the brochure said, the salesman said it's something the brochure has to say.

I shared a thread earlier on acurazine where it was debated whether regular or premium had to be used. For me, the $5 savings per fill-up, multiplied weekly = $250 a year which I think is decent enough savings that without concrete proof, I'd rather err on the side of savings.

A lot of people in the thread say they didn't deal with any knocking so that point's off the table. The main things to consider are "full possible performance" and "long lasting engine health." Is it 100% true that one or both of these are possible with premium over regular? If so to what degree? I need that answered before I go to premium. The manual says don't go below 87. No problem, that I'll carry out.

Anywho, let's discuss further in that acurazine thread. Let's not take this forum too off topic.
  • Pretty sure there is no 'failure' expected with running octane below 91. I've been using 87 for most of 3000 miles so far and can't tell a lick of difference from the tanks of 93 I've used. 27+mpg on the 400+ mile trip, mostly @ 70+mph, finished tonight...all on 87.

There's quite a spirited discussion on the AcuraZine boards regarding this very subject.

I'm a believer that the quality of the fuel is one thing we need to watch. 'Top Tier' fuels contain more cleaners and protectants to keep the fuel system running properly. Fortunately, here in central Texas, Top Tier stations like Chevron and Shell are very competitive on price...often lower than the 'no-name' stations or Costco or grocery stores.

As I've often said, I would step up the octane rating if I were in the mountains, hauling something heavy OR running quarter-mile sprints on a regular basis. ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,644
    manual saids you should use 91 octane or higher. Anything under 91 octane can cause engine knocking sound and eventually failure.

If the manual actually says that, why would you put in anything less? To save $200/yr, and risk a $10K engine? :confuse:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

One, the manual doesn't actually say that. Two, just got gas at my local Shell this morning with my truck and noticed that 91 octane was .50 cents more than 87 octane. If you drive a lot that could be a lot more than $200. Three, the engine in the RDX is the same engine that is in the Accord and Odyssey which both use regular. Just the tuning is slightly different so that you get more power with the higher octane. Similar to the turbo engines in the new Escape. Both octanes are fine but more power with higher octane.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,644
    Well.... that wasn't really my point..

If your manual says that, why would you even consider doing something differently?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Well, you're right if the manual says using a certain gasoline will harm your engine then it would be absolutely stupid to use said gasoline. However, like I pointed out to you, the manual does not say that. That is my point.
  • I am looking to buy a 2013 RDX AWD w/ Tech. These posts have been really helpful. I went to the dealer today and here is the current breakdown:

MSRP: $40,315

Base Price: $36,965
    Destination/Handling: $895
    ADAG (Advertising Fee?): $250
    Total Invoice: $38,110

The holdback is 2% (about $800) so I'm thinking of offering $37,000 +tax/tag fees. What do you think? I'm willing to come up to $37,500 if they throw in some accessories.

Janet
    depends somewhat on where you are. some areas are more competitive in pricing. But if you are around $2,500-3K under MSRP, you are getting a very strong deal.

• Yes Janet thats more than enough money you are offering, I bought the 2013 RDX TECH FWD for 35,196.00 plus the fees, with about 1300.00 more I would get the AWD for a price of 36,396. There is one person on the thread who paid 36,327.00..