Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Transmission Questions

1234568»

Comments

• The name is confusing. The wire refers to electronics; in contrast to mechanical parts.
    (from wikipedia) Drive-by-wire, DbW, by-wire, or x-by-wire technology in the automotive industry replaces the traditional mechanical and hydraulic control systems with electronic control systems using electromechanical actuators and human-machine interfaces such as pedal and steering feel emulators. Hence, the traditional components such as the steering column, intermediate shafts, pumps, hoses, fluids, belts, coolers and brake boosters and master cylinders are eliminated from the vehicle. Examples include electronic throttle control and brake-by-wire.
  • The mechanics found some loose bearings and slightly worn gears inside and its all being covered by a warranty. The service quality at Norm Reeves Honda is very good too so I am going to continue to be happy with my Honda Fit.
  • I'm experiencing the same thing with my new 2010 model. Have you taken it back to the dealership for a diagnosis? Do you know if this is normal among Fits? Thanks!
  • sidekixsidekix Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Fit which I generally like, but I am having a problem gearing down from 5th to 4th. No trouble gearing up or gearing down except 5th to 4th. Is anyone else experiencing that problem?? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Manual or automatic? What, exactly, is the nature of the problem?
  • abkfit08abkfit08 Posts: 1
    I've recently (the past two weeks) started hearing loud knocking/popping (sounds like popcorn popping) under the hood while I'm driving. It doesn't do it while it's idleing, only when I'm driving and it's very random. It does it more so in 2nd/3rd gear, but has also done it in 5th. The mechanic at the dealership says he's "stumped". I'll be taking it back it on Friday for the 3rd time. My warranty runs out in another 1500 miles. It doesn't seem to effect the performance of the car, however it does seem to me like it doesn't have as much power as it used to when I first got it. Any ideas?
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    I have had my 09 Fit for around 8000 miles now and it has been absolutely trouble-free till date. No shifter problems and no other unpleasantness. Just a sheer joy to own and operate. The EPA highway mileage number says 33mpg.....but in mixed driving (50% suburban stop-and-go and 50% hwy at 65-85mph), I have NEVER been able to get it to below 35mpg (the gauge in the car is seriously optimistic and shows in the 40mpg range)....and typically get in the 37-38mpg range. During the winter months, with snow tires, the mileage in MIXED driving did drop down to 29mpg-33mpg but that I guess is par for the course for those conditions (minnesota winters).

In fact, I used to have an 08 Honda Fit (base with manual trans), which I traded-in for a 7-seater and regretted right away. In a couple of days, I went back and purchased an 09 Fit Sport with manual transmission (I still have my 7-seater of course, in addition to the Fit).
  • I have test driven two Honda Fits, a 2008 and a 2010. I'm sold on Hondas and have previously owned three Civics--I think they are great. All lasted past 250,000 miles before I had to retire them.

Now I'm enthusiastic about the Honda Fit, but I have been holding back on purchasing one because on both Fits I drove, the 5 speed manual transmission / linkage seemed mechanically sticky, cumbersome, rough to the feel. When I push it into gear, it seems to mechanically hang up for a moment before it goes into gear. The shifting just doesn't feel as smooth as the 85, 89 and 97 Honda Civic Hatchbacks that I have previously owned.

It that a characteristic of the Honda Fit or did I just run into a couple that were not so smooth in the shifting?

Thank for you input
  • teaton1teaton1 Posts: 3
    Bought a 2011 Fit Sport 6 months ago. 5-speed MT. Absolutely love the tranny. No problems whatsoever.
  • wistlowistlo Posts: 13
    Honda switched from linkages to cables on the Civic manual transmission in 2001. I had a 97, and then a 2001 (still going with 202,000 miles).

The cable linkage very occasionally will stick a bit and the shifter will pop back into my hand, but this happens once every year or so--literally, about a dozen times in 11 years.

I have a 2009 Fit, and the shifter seems similar. I find the cable linkage actually lighter and more responsive in most situations, but it's definitely a different feel. I'm now well used to it and enjoy driving both sticks.
1234568»