Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Check Engine Light

Comments

• ridrridr Posts: 6
    After 250 miles my CX-7 showed me the CEL light. It was even on it's first tank, aproaching near empty. So I read the manual and filled it up. Unfortunately no result. Called dealer. He told me that you can drive carefully with a none flashing CEL. They knew about the problems with the valve and/or cap. They actually only performed a software upgrade. It seems to be fixed but it has only been 2 days ago I visited them.
  • My CX7 has been misfiring from day one. Dealer replaced the plugs, but that didn't help. Evidently, it's a problem for quite a few owners. Mazda says they will have a re-program of the computer in a week or two. I like the vehicle, but this really sucks.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    They sounded like they haven't heard anything about a gascap problem.
    Does anyone have any details, mazda memos or anything on this I can "tweak" their memory on??

If your dealer hasnt sold alot of CX-7 they may not have seen any problems...but there seems to be a problem with some of the gas caps and a new cap is in the works.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    New gas cap is on-hand...mine was replaced with new version a week ago.

Vince.
  • The CEL went on again yesterday, for the third time in 6.5 weeks. I've got 2750 miles on the car. The first time was a valve, the second time a hose. Now what? I'm losing patience. And trying to make a service appointment has now become extremely difficult; I don't want to take it to the dealer where I bought it, since their service department is closed on Saturdays. I called another dealer and they don't seem too receptive...although they're open on Saturdays, I was told that was really just for oil changes and the like. I explained what happened the first two times, and that seemed to catch the guy's interest...but for some reason, he couldn't talk at the moment, so I'm waiting for his call back. I'm getting very frustrated with the vehicle. It hasn't been the gas cap either time, so I'm sort of now thinking that this is some larger problem. I'm picking up a faint citrus scent. :lemon: :mad:
    Gas Cap? :confuse:
  • For heaven's sake, I should only be so lucky to have it be the gas cap!! The other dealer/service department just called me back. I'm dropping it off this evening and will be given a rental car (no charge). At first the service guy was a bit reluctant...he said if the car's been at another dealer twice for repairs, both of which were emissions issues, then "they are on the right track." I replied that who knows what the problem is this time. I mentioned the faulty gas cap / gas cap replacement - let's HOPE that's what it is this time, since that seems to be a concrete answer. I just want my car to run right.
  • OK - so this time, it WAS the gas cap!! And they replaced it. What's interesting is that when I took it in for service the first two times, to the dealer I purchased from, I made sure to mention the defective gas cap as a potential issue. However, since there were actually other problems (a faulty valve,a leaking hose), perhaps they figured the gas cap wasn't something to consider. But this other place checked that first...so, who knows. I'm relieved that that's all it is, and I can't wait to get my car back. Enough is enough!

PS- I was given a loaner, a new Jeep Liberty. Interesting little vehicle, so different from anything else I've ever driven. But I'll be happy to return it!
  • went to my dealer this morning - they said the code came back as gas cap - "if it happens again....call us and we'll order you a new gas cap" !!!!

aargh
    This makes the 5th or 6th occurrence of the gas cap as a major cause of the CEL.

Moderator: is there any chance you can alert Edmunds to initiate a study and perhaps write an online article to alert potential consumers of this problem?

Better yet, have Edmunds advise Mazda that they should issue a voluntary recall before the federal government gets interested?

Regards, Vince.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Vince,

Click on the help link at the bottom of the page and then click the "Contact Us" tab. Staff loves to receive suggestions!

tidester, host
  • not to stray off topic - but in the crash test ratings that came out recently - there was a note about about:

"During the dynamic rollover test, the ESC system deactivated causing the Malfunction Indicator Lamp to be illuminated. The ESC automatically reset at the next ignition cycle. This situation has been addressed for all vehicles manufactured after June 15, 2006. "

how would I have my dealership look in to this on my vehicle? is there a fix?
    Cause your vehicle to roll-over and see if the problem pops up? :P
  • nmknmk Posts: 111
    This was inserted among the papers I had received when we picked up our car on Aug. 31.
    "Check Engine Light Function"
    Ever time you start your vehicle, the check engine light will remain illuminated for a few seconds to let you know that the on-board engine emissions system is going through a self-check. This lets you know that your emissions system is working properly. If the light remains on, the on-board computer is sensing a malfunction and you should return to the dealer to have your emission system checked by a Certified Technician. The emission system constantly monitors itself, therefore, the light may illuminate while driving. this could be caused by several conditions such as:
    * The fuel tank level being very low or approaching empty.
    An emission control device has malfunctioned.
    * The fuel filler cap missing or not tightened securely.

*Not covered by warranty.

So it seems that this a known problem.

PS. Just changed oil and filter after 1500mi. Call me nuts, but I feel that it is better to be on the side of caution with a new vehicle.

PPS. My mechanic suggested using Mobil 1 with the following schedule:
    1- next oil change use Mobil 1.
    2- change oil and filter in less than 2000mi.
    3- change again after 5000mi.
    (The reason for the first two changes is to get rid of the original oil.)
    4- last change should last 100,000mi.
    Any remarks or comments?

Thanks,

NMK
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    4- last change should last 100,000mi.

I'd sure like a 100,000 mile oil change interval for my cars! If you added an extra zero, you have 30 minutes to edit your post. :shades:

If your mechanic isn't kidding, maybe he can do my oil too (assuming there's some sort of warranty). ;)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Steve:
    Well, I am almost certain that he did say 100k but I will check tomorrow.
    BTW, he was listed as a preferred mechanic by Click and Clack the Tappet Bros. of NPR fame.
  • I wouldn't even bother checking. You either misheard him, or he's full of it, regardless of what Click and Clack say. You'll do yourself a favor by changing the oil every 7,500 miles after you get the metal fines out of the engine the first time. Mobil 1 is optional, but generally a good idea for turbos.

-c92
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,184
    I do think the day is coming. The Europeans have been on 10,000 mile intervals for years with plain old oil so 100,000 on synthetic isn't out of the realm of possibility. 30,000 seems to be the target over the pond at the moment and it's good to see 10,000 mile recommendations floating around.

GM is using the change oil light more - to compliment the Check Engine Light I guess (to sort of get back on topic in here :shades: ).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• * The fuel filler cap missing or not tightened securely.

Ah, but the thing is, the gas caps are defective and cannot form a proper seal. So I don't care if Mazda knew about it, the gas cap doesn't work and they've needed to issue new ones! It's not acceptable to put a faulty product out there, which they haven't even really acknowledged. Just yesterday, I had the fuel cap replaced and it was indeed under warranty, I didn't spend a penny, not even for the rental car.
  • * The fuel filler cap missing or not tightened securely.

If your cas cap is missing= no warranty
    If you fail to tighten repeaedly= no warranty
    Defective gas cap= Warranty
    Confirmed on the warranty on the gas cap. Mine was replaced about 2 weeks ago under warranty. Dealer had to keep my CX7 overnight, so got a free loaner. CEL has NOT come on since then. Knock on wood...cross my fingers here. :)

Original gas cap design is defective and Mazda is issuing re-designed replacements.

Vince.
    Re: Mobil 1 oil change.
    Haven't yet checked with mechanic however did go to Mobil Oil web site. The do not have a recommendation for the CX-7 because of too little date. I did however see what they recommended for the Speed6 having a similar engine.

They suggested using there best oil to change every 15K or 1 year.

So that is the latest.

NMK
    PS. Does anyone else have a toasty firewall. My feet get rather warm which is fine in the winter but not now. Can this be fixed?
  • I bought the Grand Touring CX-7 4 weeks ago. My check engine light went on after 2 weeks. Mazda discovered a problem with using the cell phone charger and the keyless card entry system. When the charger is used, the keyless entry card sends incorrect messages to the system; causing the check engine light to stay on. I also had the alarm go off and I couldn't shut the thing off! I had to just let the car run for a bit and it corrected itself. My check engine light came on again yesterday, so my car will be back in the shop on Monday.
  • Did anyone happen to get a part number for this gas cap, or have their receipt from service with a part #. It would be helpful for the owners who have this problem and can fix it directly with the dealer w/no haggling.

I have 650 miles on mine, and yes the engine light is on. Just from past experience, I unscrewed the cap with the car off, no dice, obviously. I am going in next week and would like to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and have this part waiting for my car. My dealership didnt even have accessory part numbers, i ordered the genuine mazda accessories from a dealership doing online business. I have a feeling they will not know what is going on with the cap. I am going to print out the forum and show them the problem.

Hopefully, its just the cap! and the Mazda redesigned cap ends this nagging issue. Engine lights always gave me the spooks
  • Did anyone happen to get a part number for this gas cap, or have their receipt from service with a part #.

Try FE02-42-250A. That's what's on my invoice, although all the dealer did was modify my original gas cap by cutting off some of the threads...

-c92
  • taz6taz6 Posts: 19
    400 miles and the CEL is on. Tried to remove and retighten the gas cap - no luck. :sick:
    Yep, you'll have to visit the service guys. Removing and tightening the gas cap doesn't work. If it's the gas cap causing the CEL, then Mazda will replace it with a re-designed cap.

Vince.
  • If they don't have the fix by Friday, 10/6, I'm pressing for a buy-back. I've already talked to my dealer about it, and I don't think I'll have any trouble.
  • taz6taz6 Posts: 19
    They held my car overnight and replaced the vacuum pump check valve assemble. They said it was giving a false reading. I had a full tank of gas so they could not fully test the system.

Note: they tell me that to properly test the system Mazda says the fuel tank must be between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Then they can pressure test the fuel system. They said if it happens again to call them and drive the vehicle until this fuel level is reached. So far so good.
  • At 800 miles, they replaced the gas cap when the CEL came on, now at 2700 miles it just came on again. We'll see what get's replaced now.