Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Keyless Entry

tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
Discuss keyless entry issue here!

Comments

• 1stmazda1stmazda Posts: 17
    ok - try this...
    keyless fob in my pocket.....I walk up to my cx7 - push the button on the drivers handle once - get in and close the door.

My wife walks up to the passenger door (with her fob in her purse). I hit the unlock button on the drivers door panel (inside the car). The door does not unlock. I then reach over and physically flip the lock botton on the passenger door. The door still does not unlock.

I pull the handle on the passenger door to open the door.... and the alarm goes off!

I think since we were both in proximity to the doors... the car thought I was not inside since her key was still outside the vehicle... and when I attempted to open the doors from inside it thought there was an intrusion.

weird! The horn is really loud though ! :)
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    It's happened to me... sort of...

I'm guessing you maybe had the fob in your wallet, and if you sat down with your wallet in your back pocket, something {your butt} hit the lock button on the fob, this locks the doors and arms the alarm. When you hit the switch on the passenger's door, you triggered the alarm.

At least that's what happened to me! :P

Now I drive with my wallet out of my pocket, which is beter on the back anyway! :shades:
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    I'm wondering if I shouldn't have the auto lock thing de-activated when I pick up my car. I still can't figure out how it works (from reading the posts; I don't have the car yet) and it seems to be more troublesome than beneficial. Is everyone struggling with it?

My car should be in any day now - it made it across the sea from Japan, and has arrived in Port Newark (NJ). Just waiting for it to go through all the red tape/customs/security, and make its way to the dealer.
  • honakerhonaker Posts: 74
    Personally, I love the autolock.

When you get out of the car and close the door, it chirps once to let you know it's activated. Then when you walk away from the car (maybe 6 feet or so?), it'll chirp again and lock all the doors.

To get in the car, you leave the sensor in your pocket, walk up to the driver or passenger doors, or the liftgate, and press a little button on the handle. The driver button unlocks the driver door with one press, and all the doors with two. The passenger and liftgate buttons both unlock all the doors with one press.

BTW, autolock is not enabled by default. If you want to have it turned on, you should let them know so they can do it as part of prep. The car has to be hooked up to a computer, so it's not something you can do yourself at home.
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    Thanks for that tip about the autolock not being enabled - this way, I can think about it and when I finally get the call that the car has arrived (any minute now.... :surprise: ), I can make my decision. Thanks!
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    No problems really... you just have to get used to something new. I like it! It helps when your hands are full, and if you forget to lock the car, it does it for you!

It's a feature that has more positive posts than negative! And most people on the site that have it, won't go back! ;)
  • I had the auto lock activated today, while the car was in for the check engine light (2nd time, but whatever).

My question is: once you turn off the car and get out and shut your door, how long should it normally take for the car to lock itself? The technician came outside with me to demonstrate it, and it took well over a minute, maybe two, after I'd turned the car off, gotten out, closed the door, and walked away. Is that normal? Seemed like a long time. :confuse:
  • When you exit and the last door closes, it should chirp once to tell you it's now waiting for you to walk away. Then when the key thingy moves out of range, it'll chirp again to let you know it's locked.

You have time to close the drivers door, then walk around the back and open the gate to get your groceries, if you want.

If you close the door and walk away, the doors will lock when your're maybe 7 ft away or so.

I happen to love the autolock, and never thought I would. :)
  • Since activating the autolock on Friday, I've found that it's only working sporadically. Sometimes it locks....sometimes it doesn't. At first, I thought it might be my cell phone, but a couple of times I didn't have the phone with me, and the autolock did not engage. Another time, I thought perhaps my electric garage door opener was interfering, but then later in the day, the autolock did work inside the garage. I'm confused...it's so random. When it works, it's terrific, but when it doesn't, then I'm back to digging my keys out to manually lock the car. I don't want to make another service appointment because my service department is not open on Saturdays, and I can't miss time off work for a minor problem such as this. Oh well! :confuse:
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    I occasionally have the same problem and can never be sure why it works or doesn't work.

Here's an extract from the owners manual:

Because the advanced key uses low-intensity radio waves, it may not function correctly under the following conditions:
    - The advanced key is carried with communication devices such as cellular phones.
    - The advanced key contacts or is covered by a metal object.
    - The advanced key is near electronic devices such as personal computers.
    - Non-Mazda genuine electronic equipment is installed in the vehicle.
    - There is equipment which discharges radio waves near the vehicle.
    - If the vehicle is near equipment such as wireless pay devices installed at certain gas stations.

I'm guessing that #2, The advanced key contacts or is covered by a metal object may be the culprit? Your advanced key is attached to a keychain, which also includes other keys (all metal), little transponders, such as Exxon's Speedpass, and other assorted items. Toss it in your purse or pocket. In the pocket, all those keys are in contact with the advanced key.

Guess the only way to eliminate the hypothetical situation is to detach the advance key from the rest of the key chain and carry it separately in your other pocket. Also, keep it away from the cell phone. If the autolock works reliably all the time, then that's the answer. If not, go back to square one.

Regardless, I think Mazda engineers need to go back to the drawing board and design a security system where those other "factors" don't influence the advance key.

Vince.
  • Thank you, Vince! You always have the best answers - I feel like sometimes you're my personal CX-7 help desk!!

I do have my housekey attatched to the black thingy, as well as a sentimental metal emblem from my alma mater (Univ. of Michigan) - maybe they are interfering?? Still, it did work about 85% of the time over the weekend with those objects attached, so who knows.

I also just realized that maybe our electric dog fencing is interfering, too...

Your last point is totally correct - Mazda needs to figure out a system that works regardless of what other outside influences it might encounter.

Thanks again! :)
  • I keep my black thingy in the same pocket with keys. They're not attached, but they're all jangling in there together. The cellphone is in a different pocket, so it never touches.

I've found that the autolock works most, but not all, of the time for me. I think it takes a half a second or a second after you close to the door to sense the keycard thing, so that it will know when it moves out of range. My theory is that on those occasions when it hasn't worked, I was zipping around too quickly, and I was already out of range by the time it tried to find the keycard in my pocket.

Keep in mind if you have a passenger, and you close your door first and walk away, and you're out of range by the time they close their door, I think you'll get the same behaviour.

I don't have a garage door opener or electric fence or anything else to cause interference.
  • I get the same problem every once and a while - but instead of going and diggng out my keys - I find it easier to walk back to the door....open it, and close it - and that's always done it for me.
  • Hello,
    Lets hope someone can help with out me returning the car to service.
    My clock is off by 2 hours. According to the manual there is no adjustment if you have the nav system.
    There is nothing in the nav system to correct it but all other functions work. How do I set or get it to set the proper time?
    You're in the wrong forum...this forum discusses keyless entry.

The minutes function in your nav system is adjusted automatically by its reading of the GPS satellites.

For the hours, I know I've set the clock before - I don't have the NAV system in front of me, while typing this response, but if I recall correctly, you can adjust the hours. It's either in the user settings (my memory is faulty here, so you'll have to scroll through those menus) or it's in the initial setup screen (the place where you make adjustments if you change tires).

Vince.
  • Here's a link to the answer.

honaker, "New CX-7 Owners - Give us your report" #6, 9 Jun 2006 1:18 pm!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3AMazda%3ACX-7%20clock
    Guess my memory wasn't THAT foggy! :P
  • Hi,
    I'm just checking if the CX-7 have the Advanced Keyless Entry & Start System that allows you to start the engine without putting the key in the ignition?
    Only available with the Technology Package. You keep the advanced key in your pocket/purse. The ignition switch has a knob installed over it, so all you have to do is twist the knob.

Vince.
  • Hi! im recently doing my homework in purchasing a cx 7, does anybody think that a fwd/sport model/ w/ tech package, preferred package/ fog lights/ frontback splashguards and all weather floormats is worth for the price of $29450??? I am a 20 yr old first time buyer and i got a down payment of 15k rdy