Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Keyless Entry

Comments

• hi just wondering if a fwd/sport model/ tech/preferred package/ splash guards/ fog lights is worth $29,450?>??
  • No reason to post the same question 3 times... Price it on Edmunds.com and it will tell you the "True Market Value" with consideration of your local market, color choice, etc. Get that number, and you can still probably negotiate down from there.

$15K is an outstanding down payment. Good luck.

-c92
  • I stopped by my Mazda dealer and asked about having the auto lock turned on (I have had my CX-7 for a couple of weeks) and the guy in the service department said they charge $49.95 to turn it on because they have to hook the car up to a computer and the hourly rate that the techs get, etc, etc.! I think this is crazy to have to pay to have an option that comes with the car activated. Anyone else experience the same thing?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    Autolock is not activated by default. It's shipped from the factory in the "off" position. This is something that shouldn've been discussed when you first picked up the car. If the option was never discussed (i.e. they neglected to tell you about it), then that might be grounds for you to go back and argue a case.

On the other hand, if they discussed it with you and you declined to have it activated at that point, then it seems reasonable that they charge a fee two weeks later.

In my case, I advance ordered the car and specified the autolock was to be enabled before I picked it up. The vehicle gets prepped for delivery and hooked up to the computer was necessary. If I had activated after-the-fact, I wouldn've been charged for the service.

Vince.
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Posts: 134
    Not sure if I think it's reasonable or not honestly. You might consider waiting until you go in for an oil change or some other service and ask them to do it while they're already working on the car - they may be more willing not to charge you extra for it.

In my case the tech seemed excited to turn it on for me and did so while they were looking into a problem for me (and I got charge nothing for either).
  • It was not discussed prior to delivery so when I take the car in for an oil change or for the check engine light that just started off and on a day or so ago, hopefully they will activate it for free.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    There is absolutely no reason in the world you should pay for that!
    The autolock function is a FEATURE that comes with the car, not an accessory you buy after the fact.
    This might be the biggest flag that you can get to show this may be a shady operation... If they'll charge for something like this, can you imagine what they'll hit you up for a "courtesy check" when you get your oil changed?

Find another dealership... Mine was turned on when I stopped in at a Mazda dealer for a Q&A on the iPod situation. No cost at all...
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    To echo everyone else, no, DON'T pay to have the auto lock activated!! When I picked up my car, they never mentioned it (an oversight, everything else went just fine). About 2 weeks later, the CEL came on, so when I brought it in, I mentioned the auto lock and they did it on the spot, no charge, no questions asked.
  • My salesman promised to get it done when I bring it back for service since they didn't have a lot of time to look into how to do it before I picked it up. They are a fairly new dealership. I wish the feature was user programable like most of the features in my VW so that you could try it out. I assume I will like the function but you never know.

Does it auto-unlock as well?
    Nope, you gotta push the request button on the door handle or the press unlock button on the advanced key. The important thing to remember is that the key has to be in close proximity to the car, for the request button to work. If the advanced key is physically several feet from the car, an intruder can't get in and neither can you, if you don't have the key in your possession.

Vince.
  • I'm glad they turned it off. I have a mazda 5 and we started it this morning to warm it up and the darn think locked it self with the keys in it. Now I have to call the locksmith because it IGNORES the 2nd keyfob when it does this. Needless to say I'm very upset as I didn't know it did that. From now On ill make sure to leave the door open when its running.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    If you have the second keyfob in hand, can you not use the key to unlock the door?

I think I've heard this before in a BlondeStar commercial.
  • nmknmk Posts: 111
    I open the door. Sit in the drivers seat with the key in my pocket.
    Try to start by turning the ignition knob. "Key" light flashes on the dashboard. Ignition knob will not turn. Cannot turn wheel, or use the shift lever. :mad:

Take out key, press "unlock" icon, turn on ignition knob, car starts.

Any clue as to why this occurred? I think that this has happened before, but was too busy to notice/remember.
    Has this happened to anyone else? :confuse:
    make sure you don't have a cell phone or loose pocket change in direct contact with the advance key. Either item can interfere with the signal.

Vince.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    If it was in your back pocket in your wallet; you may have been sitting with a button or two pushed and that would cancel the signal...

I've learned not to leave my wallet in the back pocket because of this same thing... I now leave it on the front passenger seat, or on the console under the Navigation.
  • nmknmk Posts: 111
    Hmmmm! Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
    However, no Ipod (I'm a Luddite), no wallet (I have no money) :cry:
    Perhaps it was the loose change, if it happens again I will take care to take note.
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    I accidently sent my husband's key through the laundry yesterday...and it still works!! Go figure!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I had no idea they were hermetically sealed but it's good to know!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Now, if they're really indestructable, you need to coat one with peanut butter and give it to your dog. If it survives intact, then I'm REALLY impressed! :P

Vince.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, if one is inclined to do that, it's nice to know it can be run through the washing machine when it is, um, retrieved. ;)

Please don't anyone do this to a poor, little doggie!! :cry: :) :P