Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 AC problems

tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
Smoking is bad for your vehicle's health. Is your's smoking? Discuss it here.

Comments

• nycdragonnycdragon Posts: 14
    Found little smoke (or moisture) from air vent while air conditioning was on 1st level and outside temp was around 82 F during one of the trips today. Since the smoke had on oder and it was gone after next start, I may ask dealer to look at it later together with the other problems I encountered earlier. Just wondering whether you guys had similar experience.
  • zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    Found little smoke (or moisture) from air vent while air conditioning was on 1st level and outside temp was around 82 F during one of the trips today
    That may be condensed water vapor due to low fan speed setting. This is common if fan speed is low and outside humidity is high. This does not explain and smell though.
  • Have anyone experienced any air conditioning issues? I test drove a CX7 on a very hot day, around 96F, and the air conditioning had some problems keeping the vehicle cool. It took a long time to cool down the vehicle.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Posts: 458
    It's been around 100F here ever since I picked my CX-7 up, and I've found that the auto A/C works acceptably well in recirc mode. (Actually, I originally set it to 68F, but found it got too cold! - 70 is my sweet spot, apparently) Sure, it takes a while to cool down a hot interior (mine's black) if you've got no sunscreen and leave the windows closed, but I would expect that with any car.

What's got me puzzled is that when recirc is off, I've discovered the A/C is completely useless. I've enjoyed riding around with the recirc off and sunroof cracked in every car I've ever owned, but when recirc is off in the Mazda, it's unbearable on hot days. It's all very ironic since the owner's manual stresses two or three times that "recirc" should only be used for cooling down the car and that the "normal" M.O. should be with recirc off. :confuse:
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    Compared to a lot of other vehicles I've driven, the A/C in the CX-7 is weak. On really hot days, in rush hour, bumper-to-bumper traffic, the A/C, even in recirc, won't cool the CX-7.

Vince.
  • kinggoopkinggoop Posts: 15
    eep.. nope haven't found that yet.
  • Not sure it is normal or ... I found warm air from the air vent even though the temp control is on coolest (without A/C on) after the car was driven and stopped for a while (Engine is still warm). You can obviously feel the air from vent is much warmer than outside and usually it lasts about 10 mins or so. Or you can turn on A/C to get rid of it. I believe that might have impact on A/C performance if your engine is warm due to previous trip.
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    I have a Mazda3 and have the same issue. My car does the same. So Mazda hasn't learned from the 3 A/C issues and it appears the cars are the same in regards to the Weak A/C.
    It actually got cool enough for me to turn A/C off today and I noticed same phenomenon. I had never had recirc and A/C off together before. Thought maybe it had something to do with the cowl air intake being so close to the intercooler heat, etc., but maybe if it affects the 3, it is something else. At any rate, it was downright uncomfortable to leave the vents open, so I closed them and enjoyed the cool air coming in the open windows and sunroof. Weird.
    -c92
  • Just found water dropping under the car after A/C on when the car was parked. Is this normal?
  • All a/c's drip water, its from the condensation thats built up from the outside of the unit.
    Its normal... ;)
    Concur with wjbushsr's comments. Just go to any shopping center on a hot day and look under most vehicles...little puddles of water.

Vince.
  • I had some A/C problems too, and it took three trips to the dealer to get fixed. First they said everything was within tolerances, then they said it got cool for them, and finally it took me showing them the difference in side-by-side tests with the CX-7 loaner car to see that there was a problem. They evacuated the system and recharged it, and that did the trick, it got about 5 degrees cooler. They said that it must have been moisture in the system that was the problem, and that some of the other cars seemed to have a similar issue, so they were going to have to watch it.

On a similar note, I would agree that the A/C is pretty weak if it's not on recirculate. Unless it's at night, there's pretty much no time of the day in the summer that the fan's not on "two" and the recirculate button isn't on. The A/C has been my biggest disappointment in this car!
  • nmknmk Posts: 111
    Hi:
    Have noticed two problems recently.

1- Just climbed Mt. Whiteface Alt. 4,800ft. Began to notice an odor of combo hot oil and rubber on the drivers side. It soon disappeared.

2- Does anyone else get their feet roasted from the firewall?
    That will be great in the winter, but now?

Thanks for any suggestions.

NMK
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Began to notice an odor of combo hot oil and rubber ...

Was that on the way up or on the way down?

tidester, host
  • nmknmk Posts: 111
    To Tidester:

About 1/2 way up, stopped because my wife was a bit ill because of the washboard road and she was driving. I noticed this as we swapped driving positions.
    I left her at a rest table and continued to the top. Checked again and it disappeared.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Have you checked your engine's coolant level? It's possible your engine was overheating. You may have a defective thermostat or clogged radiator.

Have any other CX-7 owners experienced anything similar?

tidester, host
  • Nothing similar, but my cx7 GT has 650 miles on it. Some times i can smell either burning of the engine and or other materials but smells more "break in" than anything else.
  • Here in Texas it's only now getting cool enough to not have the A/C on, and I have noticed the same phenomenon--the air coming out of the vent is warm even when it is cool out side. It was in the 50s the other day and I had to turn on the A/C and back the temperature off of the coolest levels, otherwise it got too hot.

I'm beginning to think this is also why the A/C, when it is not on re-circulate, performs so patheticly in the summer. I'm glad for this forum so that I can see that it's not only my car! I'm taking it in next week when it's cool again to get the dealer to tell me what's up. We'll see if they own up to anything!
  • I'm in Texas too, and just completed a 2500-mile trip around the state when it was mostly in the 60s. On the freeway, I didn't notice the same problem. It may be that at long jaunts at 80 mph there is enough air movement to keep the engine compartment where it needs to be to get cool air in the passenger compartment. In fact, if anything, I thought the A/C system was a little too conservative with the compressor. There were several times it wasn't needed, but the computer brain wanted to keep it on anyway.

I did notice that my "winter" thermostat setting on the auto A/C will have to be a few degrees different than the "summer" setting, but it's the same story at my home, so I can't blame Mazda for that.
  • Read about this in the manual. Does anyone know how to turn this "ECO" mode on or is it automatic?

Thanks!
    ECO isn't something you control...it's part of the environment controls.

"Selection of A/C and A/C ECO is
    done automatically. Although air
    conditioning and defogging ability is
    reduced, the A/C ECO function is
    designed to economize use of the air
    conditioning system."

Vince
  • pctechpctech Posts: 43
    Living in upstate NY, I've noticed this exact problem since day 1. Have not yet been back to the dealer (some distance away) but will definitely mention it at my first oil change. I like getting fresh, ambient-temp air (with A/C off) from the vents and it's impossible with this car. I'm thinking the door that mixes heated and ambient air never gets to a position that avoids the heated air. I sure hope there is a fix as this is not acceptable on a $30K vehicle! :(
  • satz24satz24 Posts: 10
    hi all

looking at buying a CX7 in Australia. I'm most concerned about the issues with Airconditioning performance (or lack thereof).

I've seen some posts that talk about it being ineffective when not using Recirc.

And also have seen that it blows warm air when on fresh-air (non AC)

Is there any way of bypassing the 'auto- ECO' setting? I saw someone's post about the ECO setting on the Mazda coming on automatically but diminishing cooling performance.

There's no way for me to test this at present as it's coming into winter here. But our summer (Nov- Apr) is very hot

many thanks as I'm really worried about this and it's probably enough to make me wait for the Rav4 V6 which is not due for 3 months at least (but I suspect would have a good AC system)

S
    Yes, it's a concern of many CX-7 owners. Some parts of the U.S. get blistering hot, as well. You didn't mention which model you were considering. The Grand Touring model has the automatic environmental controls. When the ambient temp is quite warm, the system automatically shifts into recirc and stays in that mode. Max cooling isn't achieved until the car has been running for a few minutes. If the car has been parked, it helps to open the windows for a bit and allow the interior air to vent, until you start feeling some chill air coming from the vents, then close the windows. Another tip: keep the cover over the cargo area closed. It does help, in that you don't have to cool so much space. You also may want to put a screen up over your front wind shield while parked - that helps to keep the hot sun out of the interior.

As a another resource, you might want to try http://www.mcx7.com/. There's a section devoted to Australian drivers of CX-7's. You might want to post your question there.

Vince.
  • satz24satz24 Posts: 10
    hi vince
    thanks for the reply

The model I'm considering is the 'luxury' one, so has the Climate Control

Guess I really wanted to check whether the AC system was any worse than any other modern passenger car?

My Toyota Camry's AC is quite good, though I still keep windows down for a few minutes after startup. But I don't think I ever need to use 'recirc'. (it's only a manual AC system)

What about the issue of warm air coming through the vents (when the AC is not on)?

cheers

Satz
    There have been posts about that already around here, but in a nutshell, yes, it's true: The air that comes in the vents when the compressor is OFF seems to be 10 degrees F higher than outside air. So, for me, it has to be at least 60 or below outside to turn off the AC.

You'll need recirc on the CX-7: I live in Texas, where it gets hot and my black leather soaks in heat through the huge windshield. A screen helps considerably, but the CX-7's system is pretty well taxed and underperforms other systems I've owned. I'm not giving up on it yet... but can understand why they may be so conservative with the recirc mode in the auto climate units...

-c92
  • koroshiyakoroshiya Posts: 2
    I have had the same AC issues that most of the posters have been frustrated with.

I finally went to my dealer and FINALLY resolved it. After they upgraded all the software in my car, it is now super cool even when it is 90 degrees F/ 33C outside.

The service manager said many of the earlier batches of the CX7 had old software revisions which likely did not control the AC temperatures properly.

I have also noticed slight improvements on the automatic gear shifting responses.
    "After they upgraded all the software in my car, it is now super cool even when it is 90 degrees F/ 33C outside."

Koroshiya,

Do you happen to have the TSB number for that problem with the A/C? I just spoke with my service guy and he says he not aware of any "software upgrade" that regulates the A/C.

Thanks, Vince.
  • ncb81ncb81 Posts: 7
    I want the TSB number also. I just bought mine last week and the A/C is weak. Vince where do you bring your car for service in NOVA?

Thanks,
    Nel