Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 AC problems

Comments

• pctechpctech Posts: 43
    Just got my letter today - they WILL cover retroactively provided the other terms are met! I'm grateful that Mazda finally decided to do the right thing
  • Just got the letter that Mazda is recalling '08 and '08 CX7s for faulty air compressor. I want everyone know that two weeks ago I had this problem. It started blowing hot air. Dealer wanted $1600. I complained to customer service through Mazda and they offered to pay for the part, but not the labor. That would have left me with a $500 expense. Finally, I convinced them that it was inconsistent for them to agree the compressor was faulty and not pay for the labor, despite the fact that I did not have the extended warranty--which I do regret. So, after a week of begging and pleeding, they covered everything. I thought they were just doing right by me. Now I come to realize that they knew about the defect all along and still wanted me to pay $500. I do feel like they were kind of underhanded. This just happened 2 weeks ago!
    While it's great that Mazda has finally decided to do the right thing, I don't understand these inflated prices. When I paid the entire bill back in April, the compressor kit was $340 and the labor $217.50 (this was the Mazda dealer from whom I bought the car). And this was without any pressure from me.
  • bcp1bcp1 Posts: 21
    I got my letter this week and took it to Mazda for service. They couldnot find any problems at all. They told me that I had an additional year of warrenty and 50,000 which ever came first. I only have 15,000 miles on an 07 GTFWD fully loaded.

I had them do a 15,000 miles inspection and changed my oil, etc.
    I use 5w-20w Penzoil Plantimum and they provided the oil filter.
  • Has anyone else experienced their side vents closing shut when the AC is on full blast? This doesn't happen all of the time just occasionally.
  • They are doing a recall, but my issue is that i had to replace my ac compressor and i don't qualify for the recall because I have to many miles on my vehicle. so i guess the part is only defective on vehicles under 60k miles. WHAT A CROCK. I think a bad part is a bad part. no matter what the miles are. mazda should bee accountable for all the parts not just a select few.
  • I have a 2008 CX-7 and Mazda told me that they replaced my compressor last year so the recall shouldn't affect me, even though it's blasting out hot air when i put the a/c on. Should I bring it back again???
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I would.

For this recall, if you are experiencing a defective A/C unit, it should be replaced.
  • My parents currently have a 2007 Mazda CX-7 with a little over 40K miles on it. They just received a letter about the recall on their A/C compressor. The letter aparently stated that it was safe to drive the vehicle as long as you don't use the A/C. Less than a week later, my folks were driving back to Visalia, CA from Pismo Beach, CA and my mom said that she heard a loud knocking noise under the hood, so they pulled over, popped the hood and didn't notice anything... Then they got back in the car, started it up and heard a loud whining noise. The car also lacked acceleration.. (sounds like the turbo.) Now let me add that my father also complained about seeing black smoke come out of the tailpipes on more than one occassion. At this point they decided the car was undrivable and had it towed to the Mazda dealership in Selma, CA.
    Selma had the car for 3 days and aparently couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. They just called my folks back and said that the Turbo is shot and possibly the entire engine. They also mentioned that it was out of warranty, since it has 40K miles on it. When my parents told me this, I asked, "what about the Powertrain Warranty?" I looked it up again and realized that it's 5yr/60K miles.. We should be covered. I even called Mazda Corp in Irvine and spoke to a rep. He said that it would be covered, but the dealership is going to want to see the Service Records for it. If they are not all available, they might want to do an inspection on the vehicle and make sure it's not full of "sludge" or anything. Welp.. My parents had some of their records, but not for all the oil changes.. and guess what? "They aparently found sludge in the engine and will not honor the Powertrain Warrnanty. Now my parents are stuck with some ungodly Service Bill, that I'm afraid to hear about... This is where we're at.. They haven't okay'd the work to be done yet and I'm just trying to help them out.. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE FOR US.. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
  • I got my letter and brought it in. My 08 CX-7 had 62K , but I brought it in with the compresser shaft broken off at 42K and 17 months old. I was lucky that everything else worked fine. The dealer still gave me guff about driving it so long with no air...so I explained that everyone that got a ride in the car understood the problem and not one went out to buy one. Car is fixed at no cost to me and the mpg went back to just under 20. Thanks to everyone who sent letters and emails to get this (recall) or should I say extended plan.
  • Our 2008 CX7 is going in tomorrow on the AC issue, at 15,500 miles. We purchased used in August, and were unaware of any recall. Now, with the AC gone, learning to hate the car we loved a week ago.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    You might consider looking around for a way to disable the A/C compressor except during periods wherein actual cooling is required, improve wintertime and FE and increased safety factor in certain climatic conditions.

My '01 F/awd RX300 came with 2 C-best options that allowed me to disabled the A/C ENTIRELY (no workee even in defrost/defog/demist mode) simply by turning it off once. Prior to that I always disconnected the A/C compressor clutch wiring except during teh summer.
  • I own a 2008 Mazda CX-7 with 43,000 miles on it. When driving home I heard a loud whining noise and loss of power. I had the Mazda dealership tow it in. The service department said it was the turbo and was covered under my 5yr/60k miles Power Train Warranty. The next day the service department called and wanted to see my service records. I provided them with a log of which I had written down my oil changes, which I had done myself. The filler lines for the turbo were stopped up with sludge and so were the valve covers. They would not honor the Warranty. Now I have to pay for the repairs on my auto. I have been reading that Mazda is using the sludge as a way to get out of doing the warranty work. It has been stated here that the motors are over cooking the oil causing the sludge. Mazda needs to do a recall. Why are the 2011 CX7's so late hitting the show room floor. Seems like a problem. My auto is still at the service department. If anyone can help on where I should go from here please let me know.
  • Just got my refund check for 1124.63 over the weekend
  • You didn't state what the oil change intervals were on this particular car. A 2008 w/ 43,000 miles shouldn't have clogged oil filler lines under normal operating conditions. Did the dealer actually show you the clogged lines/valve covers or did they just tell you this?
  • I just called Mazda about my Air-condition compressor because they sent me a letter to tell me that it is defective. I was under the impression that they would correct or replace the part that they themselves thought was defective and causing problems. They informed me that my car had to many miles and that I would have to pay almost $1000 for a part they deemed defective to be repaired at their dealership. This is EXTORTION! They are making me and what looks like many other pay for an issue that they created! I will never buy another Mazda! It's bad enough they charge an arm and a leg for scheduled maintenance but to tell Mazda owners we put a defective part in your car but you will have to get it fixed on your dime is UNFAIR! There has to be some consumer law being broken here!
  • Mazda will not honor any warranty works if the vehicle is lack of maintenance. What you call Mazda Customer Assistant, they may able to help you, Good Luck
  • I just bought an 07 two days ago. How old is your car?. I noticed on the car fax that mine had been recalled for the air conditioning thing. I also noticed that the exhaust is kind of dark looking. I am going to take it in. I purchased a warranty but it sounds like they are no good.
  • ericafijericafij Posts: 1
    I have the same problem but not getting any results! I do see a call to Mazda directly in my near future!
  • my new 2011 mazda cx7.bob baker mazda service said that this is a normal noise. It did not make this noise for the first two weeks we had it. do you have any suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCWQWISLPE
  • I purchased a 2011 CX-7 Grand Touring AWD and the first thing I was advised to do by my mechanic was use synthetic motor oil. At this time I only have 500 miles, but the CX-7 runs very nicely, quiet and no problems.

Should you not get the results you expect from Mazda there is the lemon law and a class action law suit. I am learning that if you do not stand up for your rights no one else will.

Post your problem on every site you can thing of and that way get the satisfaction of knowing Mazda is getting the notice they deserve.
  • juan1117juan1117 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    what did mazda say?? i have the same problem? on a 2010 with only 11k miles
    the noise at start up
  • I own a mazda cx-7 2009. At 42000 the air conditoning compressor went bad. I called and took car to dealer and had a similiar situation. It cost $1,100. this wasnt covered under warranty as the car had 6000 mile beyond the 36000 maximum allowed. Total EXTORTION. If the compressor is going bad after 2 years there is obviously something very wrong with the quality of it.

Customer service checked the vin number on my vehicle and stated that it did not have a service bulletin on it. However, other same car different year do. I find it all very odd. Again there ought to be a consumer protection law.
    Apparently, they are taking advantage knowing that if you own the car live in florida or in any other warm city you have no choice but to repair but to pay to repair a defection a/c part. Totally rediculous.
    Overall, very unsatisfied with the experience of this car. During the first months of purchase the enterior quickly began deteriorating, one front head light went bad, had to replace battery and very expensive on gas. Looking forward to getting rid of it.
    The price may be lower than other SUV's such as murano and lexus, highlanders, but at the end you end up paying more and getting less. The quality is not there and either is the service.
  • stevie1026stevie1026 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I have a 2008 CX-7 and I never got such a letter. If one of you guys could scan and email it to me, that would be great, because I've got the AC compressor problem, too, at 47,000 miles, which seems about right. The problem is that I may have a very hard time getting reimbursed. I would like all the information I can get before I go to Mazda with this. Perhaps I can convince them to help me if I can prove that I should have gotten the letter, but that they never sent it before I took the car out of the country.

I'm a Foreign Service Officer at the US Embassy in Bogota, Colombia. I keep you safe by keeping the cartels and terrorist OUT of the US. The government sent me and my CX-7 (bought in Pennsylvania) here in November of last year. While driving through the country on a Sunday evening with my daughter about 50 miles north of the city, the unit seized, the belt incinerated itself, etc. We were stuck, and you don't want to be stuck in rural Colombia at night, especially if you are a gringo with diplomatic plates. We got a tow (complete luck) back to Bogota for Col$300,000 (about $165 - not bad for 50 miles on a Sunday). It was fun sitting up in the car on top of the tow truck, and probably very illegal in the US. Problem #1 is that the car is not warrantied out of the US and Canada. I ordered the compressor from Mazda USA through the APO, but the repairs still cost the equivalent of US$1,200 because the miscellaneous parts cost a bundle here. perhaps I can convince them to pay me for the parts, at the US price. I'll mail them to them.

Problem #2 is that the car doesn't run as well as it did before. The thing is a pig until the turbo kicks in at about 2800 rpm. It has no power. In addition, at low rpm's, I lose the power brakes. I did not have that problem until immediately after the AC seizure. Anybody have any idea how it could be related? Suggestions appreciated, because I am dealing with Mazda Colombia in Spanish - not my native language. In addition, these dudes don't have the same cars here. Their CX-7's don't have all our US emissions controls, etc. They may not have the sophistication that our US Mazda people have (or think they have). By the way, Bogota is at 8,500 feet above sea level. Temperatures are usually between 55-70 degrees. I drove up a mountain pass today to 11,000 feet and the temperature gauge went very hot for the first time ever. What's going on here?
  • I'm willing to do this but your email address is listed as "private"!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,297
    Click on Community Profile to change your email settings.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I had the same exact issue with my 08 Mazda CX-7, car started smoking, popped the hood and noticed that the ac compressor was stuck, continued driving and the belt burned up! I have a warranty that covers powertrain only but will definitely call Mazda tomorrow and ask about the recall - do I have to have the letter? If not can somebody please, please email it to me? I bought the car because I just had a baby and thought it would be safe for us but it actually left us stranded on a lonely highway at dusk, we had to wait 1 hour for a tow.........it was horrible to say the least.
  • I am having the same problem with my AC Compressor and do not recall having received a recall letter. Would it be possible for you to e mail a copy of the one sent to you?
    -Thanks
    The guys that want a copy of the letter have either to change their email setting as stated by steve (host) OR, as stevie1026 did, put it in the body of the reply. He will receive his today but the rest need to realize I can't email you if you don't give me the address!
    OK, just sent it - let me know if it doesn't arrive.