Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Commander Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• If you look at the actual number of different owners posting about the stalling problem it is actually not very significant. Also, based on my own experience, I believe driver error (as was in my case) is responsible for the engine shutting off. I love my Commander, and for the money (current lease deals especially), I think you would be hard pressed to find a better all around vehicle for about 200 a month. I really have nothing but good things to say.....
  • susanw6susanw6 Posts: 32
    Did you say $200/month??? That low???

I am coming off a Lexus ES 300 lease at $425/month and want a midsize SUV with a 3rd row. The Commander just looks so good. I never thought it's actually that inexpensive.

I am interested in leasing for 3 years with only inceptions out of pocket. What should I expect to pay?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,560
    Check out Jeep Commander: Lease Questions - unless you are stalling about leasing one. :shades:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I have an '06 Commander and I have been having the stalling problem since JUNE. It has happened sitting in traffic, turning into a parking lot, driving down the highway, and yesterday driving in to work and I almost got rear ended. I do not believe this is DRIVER ERROR!!! I was told today when I took my car in that Chrysler is AWARE of the problem and trying to figure out what to do to correct it. I am concerned for my safety and the safety of my child who just got his driver's license!!! I hope they can fix the problem before someone is hurt badly or even killed.
  • I have had nothing but problems with my Commander since I bought it. I had an awful whistling noise coming from the windshield that took three visits to the shop before they replaced the windshield. I have had the stalling problem since June. They had to order a window regulator today. The temperature gauge on the dash is 10 to 12 degrees off. I would love to have my money back.
  • I bought a 2006 jeep commander on the 1st or 2nd of October for 24k out the door with the V8 4.7 litre engine and basically everything standard. I paid cash but they are trying to sell as many of these 2006's ASAP. Forget gas efficiency if your saving 6k on the price. The Dealers are trying to free up inventory. I dont know your options or situation but if you show them a fair offer its hard for them to say no
  • Yep, that low. I leased a 2006 with the 4.7 V8, 15000 miles per year, 2000 down (total), for 250 a month. Right now they are advertising a base model with 2500 down, 10,500 miles per year for under 200 a month before taxes. With no money down and 15000 miles per year you are probably talking about 300 per month, taxes included. In my opinion, it is the most vehicle for the money available right now.
  • The shutdown issue is not from bumping the key....
    I've had the problem happen so many times I've actually been able to pay attention to it a couple of the times it happened...
    Basically, I feel like Im waiting to crash and burn when driving the vehicle.

I've monitered the issue on the internet, and the problem seems to be growing with the Jeep Commander.

My Jeep Commander is in the dealership 'again' and I've already been told they have no clues on the issue.

This needs to BE fixed before someone dies from driving the Jeep Commander.
  • bought my commander last january, nothing but problems. two different dealers made me feel crazy. Started a month after i bought the jeep and was exiting the freeway and it went dead and almost went through an intersection because the brakes werent working fully, luckily it came on at the last minute. brought it in and they couldnt "duplicate" i almost lost 6k on a tradein cuz my family was scared to drive in. then decided to give another try, and worked for a couple months, then a/c stopped working and sensor lite. they couldnt duplicate, so one day when it was on i drove into the dealership and they were surprised and apologetic and fixed a sensor. Now i was driving it out of town last week, and it stalled three times on the freeway up to our vacation home. brought it to a dealer on the way, and they couldnt duplicate it, kept it overnight and put 80 miles on it, and still couldnt duplicate. now im seeking legal advise. i have drove jeeps for 2o years, and am pissed that i have to deal with this crap on a new car.
  • I have been having this problem since June. You need to e-mail Chrysler and they will respond with an 800-number. I called that number on Monday and the girl told me I had never called them before. So you need to call them and register your complaint. She then told me to take my Commander to the dealership, call the 800-number and they gave me a reference number. Then I guess the dealership was authorized to install the new software for the computer. I have no idea if this fixed the problem or not. I really feel for you because this is enough to drive you crazy, especially if you are a woman, like I am, and the service advisors all look at you like you're crazy. I know the "cannot duplicate the customer's complaint" phrase very well. GOOD LUCK
  • I am also experienceing this shutting off while driving issue. My Commander is in service as we speak. The dealership outlined this was the first time they had experienced the issue. I've done quite a bit of background research online and it appears to be common. I contacted the Jeep dealership you outlined in your original post to determine if there was a fix that I could share with my dealership. The service department stated that they have never heard of that issue. Hmmm.
  • jenh1jenh1 Posts: 21
    I hate my Jeep - Isn't there something we can all do? Can we sue them? Mine had the whistle, then (and still) it has the problem with the right window bouncing back,(it won't automatically go up) and we have had it stall 3 times. HELP!!!

Jen
  • Shouldn't we all call the National Transportation Safety Board? My husband has called to let them know the problem. We've had a stall twice in one day. Only had the vehicle for a month. We are putting it up for sale this weekend. It's been twice in for check engine lights. The brakes chatter. The AC stinks. There is a hiccup in the transmission. This car sucks so bad. I can't believe we passed up a deal on an Acura MDX for just $5000 more than we paid for the Jeep! Ack! I will NEVER buy a Chrysler product again! :mad:
  • Hi:

Has this been fixed with the reflash or is it still a problem on the commander 06 models?
    Can anyone tell me if all dealers have the fix? :D
  • Have 2006 Commander. Been in the shop several times for multiple issues. Yesterday was driving to UCLA with my Mom and it stalled twice on the busy 405 freeway. No notice no lights. My jeep has 20k miles on it, so lemon law is out. Has anyone had any resolution with this problem? Please let me know! jdamien1@aol.com.
    thanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Please let me know! xxxx@yyyy.zzz

If you keep the conversation here then everyone will learn and benefit. :)

tidester, host
    Okay everyone...so yesterday I was at the end of my rope. You shouldn't pay $40K for a car and have these problems. I have two new pieces of info...

1. I have called my cousin who is a high profile attorney here in Atl. about the possibility of a class action law suit. I will keep you posted. I am not sure if this is an option since, (thank God) nobody has been injured yet. (That we know of)

2. I called the dealership back where I bought my jeep because my window is still bouncing back when I use the automatic "up" control. However, the GM of our dealership had some interesting advice. He said, "Spread the word and get everyone to call the 1-800 number for Jeep and open a complaint about their car. By doing this Jeep will have to take notice and it will "eventually" (that was the scarey word!) become a Federal problem for Jeep and they will have to recall them."

I am not sure if this will work, but let's be heard - call and call often!
  • Yes, I have had this problem since last June. I had to get Chrysler involved (go on-line and send them an e-mail. They will send you an e-mail back with an 800 number to call. Call it!!!) I called the 800 number and she told me to immediately go to the dealership and Chrysler AUTHORIZED them to put new electronic software (I think that's what it's called) anyway, new software in my car and I have not had this problem since. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck (my car also has 20,000 miles on it - been happening since I bought it!)
  • I've had the same problem with my window!!! Has anyone had the whistling noise from the windshield that sounds like a harmonica? This car is enough to make anyone crazy!!! Yes, call the 800 number. This is how I got Chrysler involved in getting my stalling problem fixed. I hope it is fixed or I, too, will be getting an attorney
  • We had the flash done about 1,000miles ago. No stalling since. Also, we had the cadiletic (sp?) converter replaced.

Strange thing though. When coming to a stop it idles at 600. If I pull up a few feet and stop again, it dips to 400. If I hold down the brake and rev the engine again, it goes back up to 600 and stays there until I move again.

There is definately something wrong here.
    Call the 800 number and open a complaint - it's the only way to get them recalled. My dealership just attempted to fix mine. They said the had to update the computer system...basially, I e-mailed them the 9 pages of complaints on this site....they said they spent two hours reading through all of them and that one of the fixes seemed to have given some results based on what they read.. They said they can't promised that it's fixed, but to keep them posted. They are seem to be taking us seriously. Basically, we just need to complain to the National Highway safety patrol and jeep.
    Call the National Highway Safety people or go to their website to file a complaint. These are the people who will make them recall the vehicle. This is their phone number
    1-888-327-4236.
  • Most of you haven't stated exactly what Commander you are driving. It seems like I had read this problem was mainly found in 2006 V8 models. Is that correct? I'm shopping the 2007 V6 models and just want to know where the issues you are describing typically occur. Thanks so much and good luck to you all!
  • Mine is a 2006 4.7 V8. Things to check, does your dash die? No fuel or coolant gauge? No message in the lower right message center? No miles on the Odometer? Only the Gear Indicator on? That is what mine was doing and the problem (so I was told) was the connector for the iginiton switch was not seated correctly. Since then, it has been working fine. Something to have your dealer check out.
  • kjones2kjones2 Posts: 6
    I appreciate the information everyone has shared - until I found this site, I thought my Commander was the only one with problems. My 2006, 4.7/V8 has had the windshield noise, 3 inoperable seatbelts, rt. power window malfuntion, and stalling x9 - the last time it went dead as I was driving in traffic. I am appalled at the lack of concern I have received from the dealership and Chrysler. Although they have tried multiple fixes for the stalling, nothing has worked. Their standard response seems to be "we couldn't duplicate the problem".
    Mine is also a 2006, 4.7/8 Limited. It has not done any of the dash board things, however, it is in the shop again for the stalling and a squeaking noise coming from the engine. (Apparently some sort of belt problem). Our dealership is incredibly helpful, however, they too can't seem to get the problem to duplicate. It is very, very frustrating. We have sent them this site/link to review. Pass this site and info onto your dealership. Maybe if the dealers make enough noise they will recall them!
  • hcrouchhcrouch Posts: 1
    I had my 2006 Commander Limited 4.7/V8 in the shop for the stalling problem last summer and they replaced something and said that they thought it was the problem but couldn't be sure. Haven't had the problem again until this morning. I wasn't in the car the first time it happened but I was driving it today and to be honest I am a little scared to drive it again. The dealership is no help and won't even look at it until next week. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA as well as Chrysler. The dealership claims to have never heard of the issue. It just really sucks to pay so much for a car your scared to drive and when I take it in they keep it for at least a week everytime. Had it in last month for an issue with my stereo just turning off. They replaced the stereo unit and it is still just turning off. Took over a week to get it back then.

Anyway, Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with a fix yet. I mentioned all the forums about the problem to the dealership and they said that it doesn't matter cause they don't know if it's the same problem.

Thanks for any advice!
  • jules15jules15 Posts: 1
    Luckily I just gave back my jeep...(military, SSCRA..deployment not so lucky). I had a 2006 v6 2wd 4K miles and I had no idea this was such a big problem. My vehicle has stalled many time and I thought at first I might've been hitting the key. I paid close attention to the possibility of "hitting" the key and then thought maybe something voo-doo was happening because we live by a military base. I also experienced problems/ loud noises putting the shifter in or out of park...like the engine was falling out of the vehicle. The windshield also hummed so loud I thought the police were following me and I couldnt even hear the radio. The dealer replaced the seal because they are faulty on the 06 Commanders. I've also had problems with the cheap back seat lever that open the back to climb into the 3rd row seating area. The dealer also replaced that..but it was starting to do it again.

I did have this stalling problem with my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4wd v6 now that I think about it...it happened when I went from 65MPH to a turning speed to take a corner. It was very dangerous as other vehicles were following. I have to admit I love the way Jeep looks and feels. I just wish they could figure out their kinks before sending the vehicle out. They had a lot of problems with the new body Jeep Grd Chk's coming out in 1999. That was why I waited until 2003 to buy once they had worked out all of the problems.

Overall, I have to say I have driven many vehicles and I bought this one because it was such a good deal and pretty too... I do prefer the Toyota 4Runner mechanically. the 4Runner just didnt have the standard 3rd row seat. It was 1000x quieter and smoother to drive. Just costs more for even the base model. Sometimes we sacrifice.
  • I have a 2006 Commander 3.7/V6. I have had it for one year and it has stalled at least 10 times. I have brought it back to the dealer 2 times and they since they can not simulate the problem, they have no idea how to fix it. I've called Daimler Chrysler and they were not interested either. The car is unsafe and not fit to be on the road as it is definitely a safety hazard and an accident waiting to happen. Anyone know of a fix for the 3.7/V6 stalling problem?
  • hjayhjay Posts: 5
    I read in some of the other post about the tps (Throttle Position Sensor) I have some of the problems that some of the people were having on the post. My question is what tool do you use to get the TPS off. One salesman told me a torque. Is this the right tool. The part looks very easy to replace. Can someone help me with this?
    Thanks
    hjay