Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Commander Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• fanmanfanman Posts: 6
    Reading the TSB, How does ESP premature activation at low idle speed = car dies?
    It has always happened when my wife drives so I cant comment on how difficult braking and steering is. I think its the "Oh Sh*@! - it happened again!" panic factor more than anything else.
    Just picked it up fprm the dealer who says the fix was "flash PCM (Powertrain Control Module) - STAR solution K50951304" and described it as a SW update to prevent the sensor from cutting off oxygen at throtlle and killing the engine. I could not google that fix and have not talked to the tech yet. Any advise where to look to see of this is legit?
  • :sick: Hey guys. I have been reading some blogs & forums on several complaints about Jeep Commanders stalling while driving. I am a Chrysler certified Tech. I have had some of these vehicles with this complaint at our dealership. I am working with our area Tech rep. to help and try to pinpoint the cause of this problem.I would appreciate as much detail as possible about this stalling issue. Please understand that 99% of these complaints usually cannot be duplicated when the customer brings it in.Some of the following questions may seem odd. but please understand that these jeep vehicles have approx 15-20 on board computers. a very complex can bus network. "controller area network". this operates much like your home pc. sometimes the computers lock up and require resetting.
    If you could anwser some of the following questions, I would really appreciate it.

1.Does this happen at any particular vehicle speed ?
    2.Does it happen on accelleration or decelleration ?
    3. What do the instrument panel gauges do when it happens ?
    4. Do any other accessories in the vehicle become inop when it happens? ex: radio, headlamps, turn signals, gauges, etc...
    5. Are you making or receiving a cell phone call within 3 seconds of this happening ?
    6. Were you within 500 feet of a cell tower or radio/ tv tower or any other kind of communications tower or equipment?
    7. Was a tractor trailer within 100 feet of you when this happened?
    8. Did you notice any vehicles within 100ft around you with large antennas or police or emergency vehicles?
    9. Were you within 500 feet of any high tension power lines?
    10. Were you driving over a dam that produces hydroelectric power?
    11. Were you within 1/2 mile of a nuclear plant?
    12 How much fuel was in the fuel tank when this happened?
    13. Does it occur more at certian fuel levels?
    14. What was the outside air temp when this happened?
    15. Is it more noticeable in certain weather conditions?
    16. Do you operate any other aftermarket radio or video transmitting equipment?

Well this is a start. I know some of these questions sound strange. but trust me. you would be suprised what can affect electronics. Take the issue in the mid 80's to 90's when Volkswagen had a random engine stall issue. The cause was found to be RF "radio frequency" from a passing semi, ie " trucker talking on his cb, which had a linear amplifier attached to it. Thank you very much for your time
  • Please read my post about this.
    thanks jeeptech1
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome aboard! I'm sure our member will be able to provide some pertinent information and we're looking forward to your report about what's causing the problem.

Incidentally, you have up to 30 minutes to edit a message after posting it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • "official" reponse from chrysler is the DEcember 2007 TSB fixes it. I had the fix done 500 miles ago so we'll see. Interesting questions but I dont think I have any answers that make you happy. With 14 occurunces, to the best of my recollection it has been all ambients, all speeds, all fuel levels - with no emmitting sources nearby. Radio and lights still work, but power braking and power steering goes away.
  • Hi Jeep tech 1,
    TSB 18-049-07 fixes this problem. Please refer to that. Don't waste your time trying to investigate this and figure out what causes it. The fix is known and released to dealers on Dec.13. Just flash any customer vehicle 3.7, 4.7 and it will cure the low speed stalling and the momentary lack of throttle response due to the ESP system.

When NHTSA updates their website with Chrysler's response you can read about it there.
  • my vehicle fails over 40mph, looses power steering and braking,. Chrysyler says this is not possible. So that means they still do not understand the root cause
  • sorry, but that tsb does not cure this problem, already been down that road. still want to get to the bottom of it. thanks for the info.
  • we'll no info on the stalling commanders yet, has been 15 days, I have a 2006 commander with a 3.7 v6. symptom: at random, the engine will not turn over to start. traced problem to a fault in the headlamp to dash wiring harness. The IPM c2 connector, pin#7, F942 circuit. the ignition circuit will sometimes drop out. if you release the outboard lock on the IPM and tilt the IPM upward, the circuit connects. Have harness ordered. Good luck guys. :)
  • No, the TSB would not cure a wiring issue. It sounds like you found the issue on this particular jeep. I have seen one occurrence where a terminal lock was broken in the PDC. That did not prevent a crank, but it did prevent power to the coils. It set 8 faults for coil primary voltage and the vehicle would not start unless you twisted the PDC a certain way, then starting or not was random. It would start and stall or not start at all. It may start and run for 50 feet and then die. The big difference was the presence of fault codes. The issue that I was discussing is fixed by the TSB and never has fault codes present.
  • mabye you misunderstood me. this commander with the wiring issue is not in for the stalling issue.is it in for a no start. sorry for the confusion.
  • Update. As it stands I pursued an attorney. They filed a lawsuit against Chrysler back in November 07. About two days prior to Christmas Chrysler called my attorney with an offer. I put some cash in my pocket and keep the truck. :lemon:
    I refused that offer. Why would I want to put a few thousand in my pocket just to continue to own a vehicle I can't drive? I told my attorney that I wish to continue with the court preceedings. I also stated that I want Chrysler to purchase my vehicle back. He said OK. A fews weeks ago Chrysler agreed to buy back my vehicle. They were willing to pay for the accessories except for the ipod connector I had purchased through their parts department. Everything else is after market. Still waiting on the green light to take my :lemon: back to the dealer and get my check. Thanks for finally coming through Chrysler. Its sad that a law suit had to be filed because you blew me off and Consumer Affairs. Good Luck to the rest of you.
  • kimscokimsco Posts: 2
    Found out with 18,000 miles need all 6 pistons replaced. They don't think it is related to the power/stalling problems. Sounds like it could be related!
  • tnjeepertnjeeper Posts: 1
    We've had our Commander since September 2006 and have had about 4 or 5 stalls over the years. Two days ago it stalled on my wife, she was driving slow and had no problems getting it restarted and drove on. I took it to the dealer today and they re-programmed the computer. My dealer was aware there are problems with 2006-2007 models and were helpful and got it done quickly. I am hoping this takes care of the stalling. While others make it seem like the Commander is a death trap because of this i do not feel this way, nor does my wife. the important thing is to not panic, you can maintain control of the vehicle and get it restarted quickly. If you have ever had a car run out of gas on you this is basically the same scenario. Granted a brand new vehicle should not be stalling, hope this ends this problem for everyone.
  • nefftaneffta Posts: 1
    Good Morning,
    I am just became a mbr of this site in order to research the prob that I have been encountering with my 2006 Jeep Commander. I am late in the game, can you please explain what problems you have been having. My jeep has been stalling for the last 6 months on and off and i have taken it to the dealership 4 times already. They claim it's this or that but nothing seems to work. To top that off, I am about 900 miles away from my 36000 miles with no extended warranty. Please explain your situation so that I can decide what to do. Get a lawyer, trade it or what?
  • fanmanfanman Posts: 6
    its been 1600 miles since the fix and so far so good
  • Is there a particular engine size this stalling problem occurs with or is it all Commander engine sizes? I am thinking about buying a 2006 with a 3.7 L engine.
  • 1.Does this happen at any particular vehicle speed ? VARIES
    2.Does it happen on accelleration or decelleration ? ACCEL/COAST
    3. What do the instrument panel gauges do when it happens ? RANDOMLY TURN ON/OFF
    4. Do any other accessories in the vehicle become inop when it happens? ex: radio, headlamps, turn signals, gauges, etc... RANDOM ON/OFF of radio, all dash/warning lights, gauges. and it's not usually all on off at the same time. usually at the first instance, the whole thing lights up and then one at a time they randomly turn on and off. i haven't noticed the headlamps/turn signals affected.
    5. Are you making or receiving a cell phone call within 3 seconds of this happening ? NO
    6. Were you within 500 feet of a cell tower or radio/ tv tower or any other kind of communications tower or equipment? NO IDEA
    7. Was a tractor trailer within 100 feet of you when this happened? NO
    8. Did you notice any vehicles within 100ft around you with large antennas or police or emergency vehicles? NO
    9. Were you within 500 feet of any high tension power lines? NO IDEA
    10. Were you driving over a dam that produces hydroelectric power? NO
    11. Were you within 1/2 mile of a nuclear plant? NO
    12 How much fuel was in the fuel tank when this happened? VARIES
    13. Does it occur more at certian fuel levels? NO
    14. What was the outside air temp when this happened? VARIED
    15. Is it more noticeable in certain weather conditions? NO
    16. Do you operate any other aftermarket radio or video transmitting equipment? NO
    _______

Please see my original post # 144. I've had 4 occurances since then.
    only the first time, did i lose power steering and power brakes.

every other instance involved the dashboard only (warning lights going crazy, turning on and off, gauges not working, etc.)
    it appears completely random. a few times it occurred right after starting up and backing out of a parking space.
    other times, just driving down the road at speeds between 25 and 45 mph.

of course, it leaves no codes and is unreproducible.

once, it occurred when i was near a jeep dealership, i drove straight there and it was still in progress (about half the warning lights were still lit, the gauges had started working again though) -- every service bay door was closed, there was no technician available to put it on the scope!!

each and every time, after shutting off the ignition and waiting a short pause, it restarted and ran normally.
    exception - once, a single warning light remained lit into the next day.
  • lemon2006lemon2006 Posts: 2
    Whewwww!!! Finally!! Chrysler repurchased my truck back about two weeks ago and I finally recieved my check from my attorney. Good riddance to a piece of trash. Funny I just received in the mail two days ago a recall on engine stalls for my 2006 Jeep Commander Limited. I had to laugh.
  • majajhmajajh Posts: 4
    Fixed per service bulletin. No further problems.