Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

Comments

• ttentelhttentelh Posts: 46
    ok I think the DVD is fake. The DVD came out in 2008 not in 2007. When I bought my 2008 Tribeca was the version 1 in. When I found out that version 3 was already released and referred to the dealer. Dealer bullshited me. I called headquarters Subaru and they sent to me free of charge within a week.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    edited April 2010
    I decided to purchase the 4.0 NAV DVDs for Subaru. But it looks like now I will be getting out of the Tribeca into a Toyota SUV. The 4.0 version was just released end of March 2010.

So if anyone is looking for the latest NAV dvd I split them up on Ebay for EAST and WEST dvd. just do a search for Subaru Navigation DVD 4.0 and they should come up. only ones listed currently. :shades:
  • Ugh. Figures since I purchased V3 on Feb. 1. I have written them to see if they'll send me V 4. Had I known the new version was coming out, I would have waited to make my purchase.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,400
    That's why many companies, like Adobe, wait until a couple of weeks before the release to announce the release date. They know sales of the previous version will all but stop once they make the announcement! :sick:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's nothing.

I bought a Miata in March 2009 and the rebate was $2500.

18 days later, the rebate went up to $5000. :cry:

I wrote to Mazda and they sent me $100 credit for accessories out of pity.

So they were nice, but I still lost out on $2400. :cry:

Actually, truth is dealers raised prices when the deep discounts came. I still got screwed, though.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    "I still got screwed, though."

You still got $2600 off. That's not bad on a car like the Miata.

It's called luck of the draw. :)

Bob
    I just bought the new version for SUBARU TRIBECA & OUTBACK models. Because am not using the WEST map disk am willing to sell it to whoever needs it. The price I paid for the whole thing was 273.53 includes taxes and shipping. For $137 you can buy it. I will accept personal check or Money order. for that amount. I will ship it priority mail, when your check clears. if you are interested email me at ttentelh@aol.com, my name is Elias. Contact me so I can give you my information to where to send the check. I only have 1 disk so whoever email me first will win it. I will notify you when it will get mail. Also If anybody wants map version 3 for same model EAST and WEST is also available.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,769
    So they were nice, but I still lost out on $2400.

Devil's advocate here - If they cut the rebate the next day to $500, would you have called them and offered back $2000??

:D
    Plus there was only a $500 rebate in January, when I started shopping.

I waited and got a bigger one, but still not the best.

Oh well, life goes on. You can never predict the future. It's just that the change in amounts was rather shocking.
  • skipthezipskipthezip Posts: 1
    edited January 2008
    The navigation system on my 2007 B9 Tribeca quit working at about 60K miles. I brought it to the dealer (several times) and was finally told that the console for the navi was bad, and that I would have to replace the whole unit. They said it was a rare occurance...but it was going to cost me close to $1000 for a new unit. Or I could get a refurbished unit at $500. I haven't been able to bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that is mainly a convenience (I guess the only safety issue is that the backup camera is tied into the unit). It is, however, a daily pain in the neck not to be able to see what radio station is on, my current fuel efficiency, adjust my front/rear speakers, etc, etc. If it was just about the navigation, I would go get myself a portable navigation system for a lot less money.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or thoughts on where I could get a console for a reasonable amount of money?

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, what did you do?

Thanks...
  • sti9mmsti9mm Posts: 3
    Are your failure symptoms that it flashed the Subaru logo a few times - then screen goes black. Then the lights on the buttons flash a few times, pause, then flash a few times in a pattern?

This is what happened to our B9 over a year ago, I replaced the Kenwood under the seat, and the cable to the screen. Now Subaru says I have to replace the screen for a tidy $1,500 plus labor, and they are not sure that will fix it. :lemon:

I'd like to believe that there is a better way to test this than to throw parts at it.
    Ask if the refurb comes with a warranty, and if they guarantee that will fix the problem. To me that would make all the difference.
  • hardy_1961hardy_1961 Posts: 1
    Last weekend also the Navi computer in my car (2006 B9 Tribeca, 18000 miles, very rare car here in Germany) stopped working. It happened for the second time in one year.

At first I can see Subaru logo, than the message "Updating System" followed by the error message on the screen: "Improper Disc". Maybe the disc is damaged, however, there is no possibility to check the system with my backup or another disc, because the Navi computer didn't eject the disc.

Fortunately, the Navi is covered by the warranty, nevertheless I am thinking about a change of the Navi (which might be necessary in future).

Are there any suggestions, which Navi computer can be taken together with the Subaru screen and Subaru cables?
    Or have I to replace the whole system (Navi computer unit, Screen, cable?)
    Or should I try to get a used Subaru Navi computer? (difficult! rare and expensive car, nearly 35% higher price than in US)

Thanks, Hardy
  • TrihardTrihard Posts: 11
    So, I have yet to see anyone post any review of the new 4.0 Nav software. Has anyone actually used it, and if so, what if any changes are there (other than map updates)?
    Am using the 4.0 it is actually better, besides the map updates also the software is friendlier than the older. Better color too. I like it. If anyone interested am selling the West disk if anyone interested for $150 only.
    Are there any specific software changes/features you can point out? Does it have TTS?
    Did they remove having to select the "Accept" button every time you start up the car to use the Nav System? That might be worth it alone!
    no they didnt remove it, you still have to accept it
  • monielovemonielove Posts: 1
    Hello Trihard,
    I just bought a 2006 B9 Tribeca. I was trying to find out how I can update the navigational system. I see that you posted something about 4.0 nav software. Where can you purchase that and how much does it cost?

Thanks!
    do you live on the East coast or west coast? The whole set cost $350 but since I live on the East i can sell you the west for half the money. Let me know if you are interested.
    edited May 2010
    Actually, if you go to the Kenwood site

http://store.kenwoodusa.com/catalog.php?cat_id=S19/

you will see the disks cost $238, not $350.

That being said, no one has really posted a review of 4.0, so not sure if it is worth the upgrade from 3.0.
  • sweetpetesweetpete Posts: 15
    Do yourself a favor and buy a Garmin, Nuvi, etc. Trust me - they're all better than the Subie nav, which is clunky and out of date as far as the DVDs go.
  • cc074459cc074459 Posts: 1
    Interested in the West.
    edited May 2010
    $150 plus 5 for shipping if you are still interested email me ttentelh@aol.com to send you my information to where to mail the check. Thanks
  • n0pa22n0pa22 Posts: 2
    Did you see that version 5.0 is out?
  • sti9mmsti9mm Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    I have listed one on EBay if anyone is interested in it.

Subaru Tribeca Kenwood Navigation Unit
  • Thanks to "Trihard", I checked out Kenwood's site and see they now have a 5.0 system (mentioned by n0pa22). I'm interested in the west coast disk and just checked Ebay with no success. Is anyone interested in the east coast disk? Maybe split the cost ($238 + shipping)?
  • I am interested... but I am concerned that they released v3 in March and now v5 in June... will another version be coming out in a few more months?? This is pretty frustrating. But, yes, I am interested in the East coast DVD. Respond to me at poweryogagirl@yahoo.com. Thanks!! Maria
  • Is it worth it to upgrade form Ver 5.0??? I have an older version but still there are hyways and roads missing and they are more than 10-15 years old.... Is it the same with the new version 5.0????