Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

Comments

• That's my biggest beef with the subaru nav system, not being able to use it as a passenger while the car's in motion. You'd think they could link the airbag "brain" that knows the front passenger seat is occupied to the nav "brain", so when an adult is riding shotgun, they could operate the nav system.
  • ulicalulical Posts: 2
    I just bought a Tribeca and I noticed that even though the Nav system is set to "Auto", at night the screen stays bright. I thought that maybe Subarus had different contrast settings but, when I played with it and put it on a "Night" setting, it automatically went dark, as I thought it would while set in "Auto". Has anybody else had this problem? If so, how was it resolved? Thanks for the help and advice.
  • kuohkuoh Posts: 15
    Check your dimmer switch. If it's set to max brightness, the NAV will stay in the daytime color scheme.

KuoH
  • kuohkuoh Posts: 15
    I'm not sure what changes there are between the 06 and 07 NAV, but from what I can find on Kenwood's site, the 06 seems to be based off the DV3100 or DV4100.

ftp://inform.kenwoodusa.com/MANUALS/KNA-DV3100.pdf

KuoH
  • ulicalulical Posts: 2
    Thanks Kuo...I'll check and see if that fixes it.
  • I think the only thing that will get updated is the map dvd, which is dated 2005...
  • check ebay. i bet you could find someone that would be willing to sell their west/east coast dvds if they dont want it. if its not there, post a wanted thing on ebay. or check craigslist.

also, i am about to buy an 06 tribeca, and i was wondering.

can you play dvds on the nav screen?? :confuse:
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    Only when parked.
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    can you replace the nav unit with a superior pioneer voice activated nav unit?

will you lose mpg and other screens then thoug. I guess so.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Probably, since it's all integrated.

If you want a different NAV model, my suggestion would be to buy a Tribeca without NAV, and get a portable unit. Those have advantages of their own, such as custom POI (points of interest) lists.

-juice
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    nah, I don't like the portable units. the pioneer unit twp of my friends have was fitted into their dash perfectly and looks like the car came with it.

the main thing that is a shame is that it is better then subarus nav.

But I guess it doesn't make sense to change the nav option I already paid for that might not fit in the tribeca as well as it does in other cars with a double stack dash. plus lose features like mpg etc that are in other parts of the screens menus.

from what I hear of how the 08 reskin will look, I won't be interested in it. I doubt I would get an 07 as the engine is still weak but kind of wish I waited for it for a few of the minor improvements and then maybe just got the cobb super charge kit which I haven't heard any new info on.

prob just get the new mdx next anywhere from jan. to 3 years from now which has the best nav so I won't have to worry about getting without nav and addng the pioneer unit that ilike.

I'm just concerned that the mdx's new nav isn't touch screen and wonder if the next model year of the redesign might change that.

its not a brand new model just a redesign but after the couple improvements they made to the tribeca I am concerned about getting the first year only for them to improve a few things the next.

wife is getting a tl in jan though so might be a time we can get good deal on 2 acura. plus don't want her to have a better car then me. the tl's nav and tech in general is better then the tribeca.
  • dean7dean7 Posts: 32
    I have looked everywhere to see if there is a way to avoid hitting "agree" on the navigation screen everytime I start the car. Am I missing something or do you actually have to touch agree every time? Thanks.
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 354
    I've never seen anything- but keep looking, and by all means let us know if there is any kinda' way to bypass it.

As was previously posted here: it seems to be based off the Kenwood DV3100 or DV4100 nav units

ftp://inform.kenwoodusa.com/MANUALS/KNA-DV3100.pdf

try and find out if the kenwoods have the same issue and if it has been bypassed.
  • dean7dean7 Posts: 32
    Can you tell us secretly? Or is there really just no way to bypass it once you've agreed 100 times? Thanks.
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    As noted above, there is NO way around it. If you look at the pdf manual for the Kenwood unit on their website you will notice that Kenwood has their own legal notice that you must navigate past. It's a sue happy society we live in and manufacturers must protect themselves from the slimeball personal iinjury lawyers out there. :(
  • I wonder if you can sue them because you crash the car while reading the legal disclaimer.... .
  • tupintupin Posts: 71
    actually, I think you might claim shoulder strain from the repititive nature of reaching to hit the disclaimer ;)
  • I want to get to the NAV unit to add a backup camera. It can be done as shown in http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=755148#post755148
    Has anyone here done this and if so what camera did you use? I tried the wireless VR3 camera from Walmart/Pepboys and the wireless signal got way too much interference. I'm thinking maybe get the non wireless unit and just use its camera, if the reversed/mirrored image is correct. ANyway, how do you get the trim off so you can pull out the NAV to get to the back of it?
    --
    Kevin
    Finally got my 'beca yesterday. I've only driven it a bit, and have spent most of the time staring at the nav screen rather than the road in front of me. good thing the vehicle has a 5-star crash rating :D

I haven't used too many other Nav systems, but the Tribeca's isn't bad. It's a bit cumbersome in its organization, but having a touch screen really makes up for many of its deficits. So far it's been easy to use, although quicker access to mute the voice would be a nice addition.

But the best part about it (and the reason why I got it in the first place) is the backup camera- with the little colored guides. VERY COOL and something I'll use every day.

I learned in traffic school (in which I've got a master's degree) to always back up into parking lot spaces, as it's much safer to pull out forwards than backwards. :shades:
  • just checked with my dealer. he said subaru rep was in the other day and still no NAV update. the rep said "very soon" what ever that means. :(
  • LOL I had the same problem when I first got the car. I keep staring at the Nav screen instead of the road.... Glad I m not the only 1.....
  • Oh great!!!!! the site is down.. :(
    always back up into parking lot spaces, as it's much safer to pull out forwards than backwards

It's also quicker, if you're not late when you are arriving.

I used to valet park, and that's one thing we always did. People arrive as a restaurant randomely, but they all seem to leave at once, around closing time. It was a mad rush.

-juice
    I've been playing with the system to see how it works while I drive my normal commute. Is it my imagination, or does this system make a lot of mistakes?!

Yesterday, I was 3.5 miles from my destination (my home) when the voice said that I had reached my destination and that navigation guidance had concluded. The map showed the location of the car and my home correctly. Then, about a half mile later, the voice navigation continued. What gives? Anyone else experience this?

and then how do you stop it from taking what it thinks are 'short cuts' on minor residential streets rather than staying on the major streets?
    I think you can set up preferences, and avoidances (e.g. tolls, highways, etc.).

My Garmin is a bit different and I don't remember Becky very well (even though I miss her voice - much nicer than Garmin's NAV voice).

Sounds like you just lost the signal temporarily. Not sure why it thought you were home, though.

-juice
    Is there any way to Suspend Route Guidance without deleting the waypoints and destination points?

then (or ) then then then .

That's 5 button pushes to get the damn girl to shut up.

or- if you just want to change the volue to '0':
    then then then
    OK- that's only 4 button pushes.

Still a bit cumbersome. Is there a faster way?
  • Still no update to the NAV DVDs yet as of Nov 3rd. according to my dealer who asked the local Subbie Rep.
  • Hi there. I currently live in New Zealand and I bought a japanese import Subaru B4. The entire Navigation System is in japanese and i would like to convert it to NZ maps and frequencies etc. No one here in NZ can help me with it not even the Subaru dealers. Can anyone over here tell me how i could do it?? :confuse:
  • sorry. no luck there. i am pretty sure they only have map dvds for the continental united states and japan.

try the pioneer website to see if they can sell you a map dvd for nz. pioneer is the manufacturer of the nav system on the 06/07 legacys (i think they are called libertys in nz and australia) and the 06/07 tribecas in the united states, not actually subaru. however this may be different because it is a 2002 and a different model.

on a side note, i just bought my 06 beca, and i heard you could play dvds in the nav system while stopped, but i do not know how. i have put in a dvd in the map disc drive under the seat, but it just says this is not a valid map dvd. how do i do this?