Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

Comments

• aka1aka1 Posts: 110
    No, the "sign you rights away" screen cannot be defeated by leaving it in any mode... Every time you remove the keys from the ignition, it gets reset- although if you are in the middle of a trip (with navigation directing you), once you press the "agree" button, the remaining route pops right up.

AKA1
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 320
    Wow. That really really s&cks. What if you left the screen dark the previous time. Will it just retain that setting and come up dark so that it's easier to ignore?
  • That's great...so over time the touch screen is going to crap out in that spot from overuse... :sick:
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    Anyone heard the latest about software updates? Last I heard it was supposed to be in October, and that Subaru would notify owners.

-Karen in AZ-
  • last week was talking to the dealer and he said they checked for some other guy and still waiting. I heard 2nd week of October but looks like later :(

I am hoping by end of October.
    Are SW updates free? or do they charge you for them? (how much?)

I'm in the process of purchasing a new 'beca, and perhaps the new DVD is something I should request as part of the deal?
  • When I test drove the B9 this past weekend, the salesperson told me that there was no need to buy updates for the 2007 Navigation system, that they would be automatically updated via the nav system. Is this for real?

In my current Lincoln Nav....I have to buy the updates at $299 a pop. Needless to say, I haven't done it yet! :P
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    The system runs off the DVD software, which has to be physically updated. So, no, the system will NOT update itself. (Perhaps your sales person is thinking of a portable GPS that updates itself? Sounds to me like he hasn't done his homework :blush: )

Last I heard from Subaru corporate office was that the new DVDs would be out this month, but that pricing had not been set yet. Anyone have any info newer than that?

-Karen in AZ-
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    My Garmin has a lawyer screen, but at least it goes after after a few seconds.

You can turn "safe mode" off so that the front passenger can enter destinations while you're driving.

-juice
    Which Kenwood Nav system is the retail equivalent of the one in the '07 Tribeca?
  • That's my biggest beef with the subaru nav system, not being able to use it as a passenger while the car's in motion. You'd think they could link the airbag "brain" that knows the front passenger seat is occupied to the nav "brain", so when an adult is riding shotgun, they could operate the nav system.
  • ulicalulical Posts: 2
    I just bought a Tribeca and I noticed that even though the Nav system is set to "Auto", at night the screen stays bright. I thought that maybe Subarus had different contrast settings but, when I played with it and put it on a "Night" setting, it automatically went dark, as I thought it would while set in "Auto". Has anybody else had this problem? If so, how was it resolved? Thanks for the help and advice.
  • kuohkuoh Posts: 15
    Check your dimmer switch. If it's set to max brightness, the NAV will stay in the daytime color scheme.

KuoH
  • kuohkuoh Posts: 15
    I'm not sure what changes there are between the 06 and 07 NAV, but from what I can find on Kenwood's site, the 06 seems to be based off the DV3100 or DV4100.

ftp://inform.kenwoodusa.com/MANUALS/KNA-DV3100.pdf

KuoH
  • ulicalulical Posts: 2
    Thanks Kuo...I'll check and see if that fixes it.
  • I think the only thing that will get updated is the map dvd, which is dated 2005...
  • check ebay. i bet you could find someone that would be willing to sell their west/east coast dvds if they dont want it. if its not there, post a wanted thing on ebay. or check craigslist.

also, i am about to buy an 06 tribeca, and i was wondering.

can you play dvds on the nav screen?? :confuse:
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    Only when parked.
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    can you replace the nav unit with a superior pioneer voice activated nav unit?

will you lose mpg and other screens then thoug. I guess so.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Probably, since it's all integrated.

If you want a different NAV model, my suggestion would be to buy a Tribeca without NAV, and get a portable unit. Those have advantages of their own, such as custom POI (points of interest) lists.

-juice