Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

Comments

• tupintupin Posts: 71
    You can only play dvd's through the nav screen if you have a rear seat DVD system.
  • anyone hear of a date on the NAV Updated DVD coming out?
  • kuohkuoh Posts: 15
    I don't know about the Legacys but in the Tribeca, Kenwood is the manufacturer of the NAV system.

KuoH

pioneer is the manufacturer of the nav system on the 06/07 legacys (i think they are called libertys in nz and australia) and the 06/07 tribecas in the united states
  • update .. still no update to the NAV system. I checked again and the dealer said he keeps asking the Subaru rep and still no Update...
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    I just emailed Subaru Corporate about this....I'll let you know their response...

-Karen in AZ-
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Doubt you'll see one for a while. Usually the manufacturers are very slow to update (and it costs an arm and a leg too.)

-mike
  • The original date the Subaru Reps were saying was Oct 2006. So its behind by a few months already.
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    Here's the official reply I received from Subaru Corporate Office on Jan 2, 2007:

"Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site and for your message!

On behalf of Subaru of America, Inc. I apologize for the delay in the release of our first GPS Map Software update. The new projected date for an upgraded disk is early this year (2007). However, that disk should include all or most of the map changes/updates requested by our customers. Part of the delay is because all the upgrades for this system need to be closely checked to ensure utmost accuracy."

-Karen in AZ-
  • well everyone knows that "checked to ensure utmost accuracy" means BUGS, BUGS, BUGS!
  • I just hope they use more recent map data.. Hope they don't use 2005 data ..lol'
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The old maps were outdated. They didn't know about the 404 bypass around Bridgeville, MD, on the way to the beach from the DC area.

That thing was built a decade ago.

To be fair, Garmin's v6 maps didn't have it either, when I got my GPS, but they're up to v8 and now they have the bypass.

-juice
  • kuohkuoh Posts: 15
    Keep in mind, Subaru doesn't make the maps. They're pretty much at the mercy of Kenwood, who are in turn reliant on the data from the map makers. Given the amount of data and time needed to compile it all for the entire US, 2005 data wouldn't be out of line. Even my Garmin with V8 maps is missing a few 2005 streets, and I live in the same city as their HQ. I would guess that our maps are at least 3-4 years old.

KuoH
    Garmin has been in the GPS business for so long that they probably have the most customers (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure the # of subscribers helps fund map updates.

-juice
    Most of the data I believe comes from Navtec or 1 or 2 other companies. Basically no matter what GPS you have (OEM, Garmin, etc) they get their data from only a few sources and re-format it.

-mike
  • that is what I heard as well there is only two major companies I heard. so its just a matter of how long they want to wait to buy the data from those companies and the time to reformat them to work with their systems and test that the update doesn't brake any functions.
  • I just wrecked a 2007 Outback LLBean with Nav. I'd like to get another Subaru, but I use the Nav system a lot and being older, I like to have the larger screens that come with the build in Nav systems. My question is this; does the Tribeca use the same Nav system as the 2007 Outback? I ask because the Outback's Nav is the worst I have ever used, and I've used several extensively, both internal and movable units.

My problem first started when I noticed that the maps and POIs were very out of date. Roads that have been closed for close to 30 years are still on routes it calculates, as well as many other really stupid things. That, however, can be fixed by updated maps, which I'm sure will come out every few years for a rather large fee. The major problem I have is with the software. I wanted to find the nearest gas station. I couldn't figure out how to do it. It seemed like I needed to know the name of the gas station. So after reading the manual and still not finding the answer, I send an Email to Subaru. I had a reply back in about an hour that was very well written. It explained that when you are in the screen where you can enter a name, don't enter anything and just wait long enough. The screen field with **** in it will change to the number found, and the list button will become active. Well I tried that and it will give a very out of date list of local gas stations, but it took a little over 3 minutes and the list was alphabetical with no distance indicated. That really is a worthless list. Well, I simply couldn't believe the Nav was that bad, so when I went looking for a new car, I told the sales manager that I would not buy another Subaru unless it could find the nearest gas station to the Subaru dealership in less than 5 minutes. The guy laughed and said "no problem" and got a sales guy who supposedly knew the Nav system the best. He claimed it was the same in the Legacy, Outback and the Tribeca and took be into a Spec B to find the nearest gas station. Well, sure enough, it did exactly what I told him. It took almost 4 minutes to light up the list button and then all of the stations were in alpha order. He didn't know how to change the sort order, or why it took so long.

In my car shopping, I have asked every dealer (Volvo, VW, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes) to find the nearest gas station. All did it within seconds and displayed the list by distance. Now, some of these systems where not as intuitive as the Subaru and only the Toyota used a touch screen (by the way, Toyota's seems to be by the same manufacture, but it actually works the way a Nav system should). The BMW was really difficult to figure out. Even the sales guy had trouble, but when we figured it out, it was fast. The Volvo's stupid pop up screen was very hard to see, but it did list the nearest gas stations in a few seconds.

Anyway, is Subaru's Nav system really that useless? Finding the closest POI is one of my major reasons to have a Nav system.
    I believe it's kenwood as the manufacturer of the navi.

-mike
  • tupintupin Posts: 71
    For the tribeca you can do the following to find gas stations or other POI's.

From memory:
    When in map mode you touch the lower right part of the screen (can't remember if POI icon is there before or after this initial touch of the screen). Once you hit the POI icon you go to a menu where you select which POI's you want to display on your map....you can select banks, restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc etc. Just touch the type of POI you want displayed on your nav screen...up to 4 or 5 types at once IIRC. Once you do that the gas station icons (or whatever poi's you choose) will show up on your main map. From there you can simply touch the nearest gas station on the map and select that as your destination. The little icons are kinda neat...restaurants show a little "M" for Macdonalds or the little Wendy character for Wendy's.

Try watching the informational DVD that should have come with the system.

As for being up to date, you are correct...they really need to improve their data!!! Where are those updates?!?!
    The updates are there, it's just a matter of if Subaru want's to pay the map-data companies for the information and format for their systems.

-mike
    The update is overdue, so any day now they should appear. Stick around and I'm sure we'll hear about them.

On a loaner we had for a week they did not have the Rt. 404 bypass around Bridgeville, MD, basically on the way from DC to the beach. That road was probably built 8-10 years ago.

I then bought a portable Garmin, with v6 maps, and it actually also did not have that bypass. I updated to v8 and now it does, it's MUCH better now.

So hopefully when Subaru gets that update DVD their NAV will improve as much as Garmin's did.

Garmin does have a new Nuvi model with a 4.3" screen. Subaru's is 7", though. There are some portable ones with big screens, but they might get stolen. And of course you can get a car-puter setup like paisan did.

-juice