Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

Comments

• megreyhairmegreyhair Posts: 154
    Hmm.... The disc are over 7 gb each. :sick: :sick: It would take forever with my lousy dsl link.... I am open to good ideas.....
    Even though it is wireless, it will still need a wire or 2 for power. Never heard of Commander before... I know they used to sell the VR3 wireless license plate cam for like $120. BJ sells the same for $80...

I still having find time yet to play with the camera input on back of the touch screen dvd. IF that works, I rather get a wired cam and use that instead....
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    umm guys the NAV DVD ROM is copywrited. I don't think its a good idea to talk about file sharing on here.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    Oh it is? Well I retract my suggestion then. lol ;)
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    I thoght this might interest some of you guys... I have 06 with Nav System and have come to conclusion that many owners have already come to -- the rear vision for this vehicle is terrible. Worse vehicle I have ever had, in that respect.

I have been trying to figure out a way of getting a rear view camera installed. Looked at the cheap ones that you casn get for around $100 at Pep Boys, even BJ's & ruled them out. Screen too small & I suspect they don't work that well. Now have found there are relatively decent Audiovox units that use a larger rearl-view mirror that places over existing one & the left hand side, about 4" wide can serve as a screen. Almost bought one of those yesterday -- prices seem to be around $500 installed.

Still, however I was not thrilled about having a rear view mirror much larger than the present one (although that would have been an "auto-dimming one" which it itself would be an upgrade and, theoreticaly it could be left on all the time while driving (although that is supposedly illegal)

Now today, I found at Auto Sound, Plainville, MA (I have had SM radio's and sunroof's installed at their place before) that they can order a part that will enable me to use my existing Nav System, they will install a camera withi the bumper and it will be just like the factory option.

I am areally pleased as until this morning, everyone kept telling me that was impossible to "retro" the 06 to be able to do this with existing Nav system. Cost is $700, so $200 more than the alternatives, but this will give a nice big screen & operate exactly as the one in the 07 would.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think Peaty and the guys on ScoobyMods have found a way to patch in to the video input on the NAV screen on the 06 models. I searched and could not find specifics, but I do believe it's possible.

I don't have one so I didn't push too hard. Karen is also researching these options.
    yepp someone posted about a year ago on using a part that monitors when you go into reverse and you have to tap some wires so it will sense the reverse and switch the screen automatically.
    Consumer Reports just tested the cheapie VR3 model, which sells for under $100. They though it was OK, actually, the screen is small and it didn't see as wide an area, but for the price they found it useful.

The cool thing is that it taps only the rear backup light. The unit sends a wireless signal to the screen to kick on and so there's no wiring up front. Clever. :shades:
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yup I picked up a camera for my carputer that get's it's power lead from the backup lights, and then an RCA cable runs up to the LCD touchscreen and flips it over to the RCA input. Haven't actually hooked it up yet but it's in the works.

-mike
    Cool, take some pics when it's done. I'm curious to see the image quality.
    I will take some pictures but not sure how to get them as part of a message to this board. Can you tell me how? Having the work done on my car next Monday.
    Whoever told you it is impossible to hook a camera up to the nav screen doesn't know what they are talking about. The nav screen has a rear camera input. I got the instruction off another subaru forum but waiting for the weather to get a little warmer before trying it out.

Camera alone cost about $200. You will need a square 4 pin Molex connector at the back of the screen. That's all the parts require.....

BTW, some dealers are selling the oem camera for like $150. But for some strange reason, there is another control unit for $300. Strange because camera should only be needing a 12V input and RCA for output. don't know why it need a 'control' unit......
    Maybe to turn it off when you're not in reverse? Though I doubt it would use up much power.
    $700 is probably too much for what I am doing, but it seems like a decent camera with rear view mirrow as a screen is going to cost $400 - $500; I would just as soon pay a few hundred more & have it done right utilizing existing nave system screen. I would like to be able to have it set up "on" whenever I want but I assume that is not legal? That would certainly help reduce the blind spots particularly while on the highway. Not like I am going to stare at it all the time while driving, no more than I would check rear view mirror while driving.
    I test drove a CX9 with this features and it's very nice. You still have to look back, and it felt unnatural to me, but I'm sure you'd get used to it.

Mazda's screen is up close but in night mode it's very dim. I prefered the NAV system in the Tribeca.
    Well, someone tried it... What need to be done is to take 12V power, have it goes through a toggle switch and wire it into the end of the screen for the reverse senor of the backup camera input. It will fool the nav screen that you are in backup and thus image from cam on the screen. SOme1 did it to keep an eye on the kids in the back..
    rearview baby monitor... thats an inventive idea.

officer I was NOT watching a movie while driving... I was watching the baby :shades:
    I wish someone has figured out a simple way to toggle the Entertainment movies screen to play (ahhm) for the passenger to view up front the movie. ;)

other then tricking the emergency brake switch under the dash to look like the parking brake is on...
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    There is an outfit that does this to put the DVD on the front screen, not sure if they have it for the Subies though. Very common for other makes. Also if it only uses the +12v for the parking brake, just wire that into a 12v+ and you are good to go. The newer aftermarket ones actually use the GPS speed to turn off the DVD player.

-mike
    yes it only uses the +12V or I think the little switch closes the ground to the circuit. but I am unable to find the EXACT wire I need to connect to behind the NAV unit to trigger that circuit. I have some schematics that were sent by -Karen in AZ- but couldn't figure which wire I needed to connect to complete the circuit without making the Emergency Brake Lite activate.

When I push the brake light switch in and tape it closed the emergency brake light comes on (even though physically its not on). and the video plays even when moving forward.
    If I remember correctly, there is a brake input on the nav unit... U neeed 12V into that terminal...
    Do you know EXACTLY which wire it is and on which plug? or where to find that info? I have had the unit out and schematic and cant figure out which wire is needed to be tapped to 12V.
    On my diagram, connector J803, pin 7. The connector should be a 16 pin connector. so try putting 12v to it and see if it works or not before making any permanent changes to the wire....
    thanks do you know where the connector J803 is located? I pulled the NAV screen unit out and did not find it. is it located someplace behind the dash? :confuse:
    Sorry don't know... But there are only 3 possible place....
    1 is the screen
    2 is the radio/head end unit
    3 is the dvd drive under the seat...

Mine bet would be #2 if it is not on screen.
    For those who have it, how do you like it?

I imagine the 08's will be similar and this feature is pushing me towards getting a factory screen.
  • dbr3nnandbr3nnan Posts: 6
    I consider it a necessary feature in this vehicle... I know the 08's are supposed to have more rear visibility, but I still think you'd want it. As a matter of fact, I would pretty much insist on having this as a feature on all my future vehicles. Too many horror stories about parents backing up over their own kids.
    For me it would help line up a utility trailer with the hitch, too. Big plus. :shades:
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    Yep. I had to do that this morning with our Forester. A backup camera would have made it a whole lot easier.

Bob
  • x5killerx5killer Posts: 368
    Where can one purchase this for the best price and if its the same price from dealer or online then what is easiest. There was a link to it on the subaru site or something at one point in one of the threads and i'm hoping we can repost this for myself and the many others who haven't updated yet from 2006 model and may still want to.