Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

Comments

• lmn908lmn908 Posts: 34
    Yeah, I agree - pretty pricey. Garmin is much better with updates, and I think will even provide them for free if the GPS is a relatively recent purchase. Considering how out of date the database is on the Subaru NAV system, it would be a nice gesture on the part of Subaru to provide the update at a more reasonable price, or at least prorate the cost depending upon how recently one purchased the vehicle.

I've followed your comments on your Garmin 320 and agree that that their 300 series provides great value and utility. In fact, it was my wife's liking and constant borrowing of my Garmin Quest that led us to get the NAV system in our Outback.

Larry
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Officially, the way Garmin does it is that if the update existed when you bought the unit. But even then there is a catch - they want you to call and get the update before you load the original maps.

Unofficially, I called them because the v7 maps were available when I got mine (I had v6). I pleaded for a free upgrade because I wasn't aware at the time.

They were very nice, in fact since they didn't have v7 laying around any more, they gave me the v8 maps at no charge.

I'd suggest that anyone with a good relationship with his/her dealership that bought their Tribeca this year request the update for free.

If you're buying new now, ask for the updated maps before you sign on the dotted line, in fact get it in writing. They shouldn't sell you a brand-new model with old maps given the new ones are now available.

-juice
  • tupintupin Posts: 71
    Well, It arrived today just in time for our big road trip south next Thursday...great timing.

It comes in a standard DVD case (that holds 2 dvds).

You load it in and the screen says "loading software, don't turn off power". Then it is good to go. Under the info screen it says Ver. 2 2006.

It has quite a bit more information for our little town of Summerside, PEI Canada pop 18,000. Much better roads, restaurants everything.

I can't see that the operation has changed in the little bit I played with it but I just did a quick look around on the map....dragging my finger on the touch screen. Some subtle changes may be there. I'll post if I see any when using it.

The old DVD ver 1.1 said (c) 2004 Denso Corporation data by infoUSA(c) 2003

The new DVD ver 2.0 says (c) 2006 Denso Corporation data by infoUSA(c) 2005

Not sure which date is more important but we seem to have moved up 2 years from ver 1.1.

I put a quick picture here at the bottom of this page
    picture

Notice how the west coast dvd covers a whole lot more area....just missing a few states right on the east coast...while the east coast DVD just goes about halfway over. Are there that many more roads on the east coast?

I'll keep everyone posted and I'll post this message on a couple of Forums.
    I think some of the bigger states in the north west are a lot more sparse, i.e. less density of roads.

-juice
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    plus you have New York City , Boston, Atlanta, and Washington DC with tons of POI on the east coast.

I hope there is some firmware updates in the 2.0 DVD as well when it loaded. I know the Pacifica I had when they did the updated they enabled entry into NaV destination if you were driving less then 5 mph. before the car had to be stoppped
    I say they should use the sensors in the seat used to determine whether to deploy the passenger air bag to allow NAV functions to work. What's a co-pilot there for in the first place?

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The problem is it's fairly easy to overide that similar to the parking brake thing.

-mike
  • nhstevenhsteve Posts: 78
    Has anyone purchased the V2.0 update from Kenwood yet? Would you be willing to list a few differences in the update?
    Steve in NH
    Karen ordered one, I think a couple of others have, too.

Check the other Tribeca threads, they were discussing it.

-juice
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    I haven't had much chance this week to play with the new DVDs. I can tell that there are numerous more POIs, and that many of the new areas around me have been updated, but there seem to be some inconsistencies (newer restaurants and gas stations updated but not older ones, or older ones are now missing???). The streets and freeways in the area have definitely been updated/corrected.

The interface is basically unchanged as far as I can tell. I was hoping for a temperature reading in the display (the '07's have it) but it seems this is a MFD (display) characteristic rather than a software update issue.

I will look more closely at it next week, as I am on spring break then :-)

-Karen in AZ-
    AZ has a spring? I thought it was summer, then summer, followed by summer. :shades:

-juice
    Sure we have spring...it starts in November and lasts until February!

We have some nice amenities, too, like hot and warm running water :-)

-Karen-
    But it's a dry heat. :shades:

Does the factory tint come in handy?

-juice
    Does the factory tint come in handy?

-juice

Yes, the back seats are well blocked out even in the brightest sun, but it's still hotter than Hades inside no matter what :sick:

-Karen-
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Posts: 154
    Just a FYI for those of you don't already know it. The new version of the map dvd are copyable and the drive can read them as well. :) I tried it and it work without any problem. I made a copy and put use that instead of the original. :D
  • very interesting. copyable, eh? would anyone *cough*megreyhair*cough* be interested in say a paypal payment in a reasonable amount for a copy of this disc??? :blush:
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    Anyone have any experience with wireless back up camera sold by Pep Boys, $99 and they will install (not sure what that would cost) I believe called "Commander". I assume, unlike the build in ones with/nav on the 07's this one would be on all of the time as opposed to only one when in reverse as with 07's?

As we know, back up lights not the greatest on the Tribeca's so not sure how well this would work at nighttime (or, for that matter in the day time) I suppose I would get what I pay for?
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    I possibly use a file sharing site?
  • great idea! that would work too. does the data come over in an iso file? well yes, that would be great. i have accounts on a few fs sites. tell me what you would be willing to do. :D
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    the NAV update does add one button on the screen selection choice (unless I never saw it) ;)

anyway that button puts a small window in the bottom right of the screen with the current NAV coordinates (long/lat)...

Also noticed that the two window view (where you have a zoomed out view on the right and the nav view on the left has changed. the zoomed out view now comes just to the top of the row of info on the bottom (ie. its slightly larger).

There are new icons in the system for a few of the points of interest (just seem clearer). a few other subtle changes in the way it shows a route preview of the turns... and I did notice that one of the incorrect routings onto a small side street no longer occurred :)

Put the updated DVD ROM in and it seem to install something and the system came up with all my previous saved mem points but all the NAV menu preferences were set to default.

The files are dated 10/2006.