Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Steering Stability and Suspension

Comments

• 1995 JGC, full time 4wd, 5.2L V8. On very tight turns at low speed, such as going into or out of a parking space, there is a grinding and thumping problem with the front end at full steering lock. I figure that this is caused by the "inside" front wheel being forced to rotate the same as the "outside" front wheel, and the inside tire is not happy about this. The car has full-time 4wd. I've greased the front end and checked the front axle fluid level. Any ideas on a fix?
  • These Jeep Cherokees are infamous for their death wobble. I have owned 6. Once you add any lift to your cherokee or oversize tires (31 inch) you assure that you are going to have death wobble. The absence of an actual frame unibody construction makes it diffcult to assure a smooth ride with an elevated suspension/larger tires. It should be noted that the Jeep Cherokee is superior in it's 4 wheel drive with it's Dana axles but the trade off is it's inferior handleling. it is definitely worth the trade off as the Cherokee is supreme in snow. Try rotating your wheels and/or balancing tires, but be advised that the only way to avoid death woble is to stay with factory lift and tires.
  • rt25rt25 Posts: 2
    Sorry for the slow response. I was fine with the trackbar fix for awhile, until I hit one really, really bad angled seam in a bridge. Voila, return of the deathe wobble. I tried fixing the ball joints (upper and lower) as well as the front wheel bearings. This reduced the severity, but it was still there. What seems to have finally fixed the issue was replacing the tie rod ends from the pitman arm, the drag link and the inner and outer tie rod ends (I went ahead and threw on a new steering stabilizer when I was replacing the drag link as well). In the stock XJ steering you have these four tie rod ends and I think all that play adds up. Everyone's mileage will vary and there never seems to be one simple fix. Sometimes it can be bad shocks too (I replaced those too, watch out for frozen bolts in the rears). But the biggest change seemed to come from replacing the tie rod ends in my case. Good luck with your fix!
  • Hi there.

We bought a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee and now that it is cold in the morning the power steering is going out intermittently. Our local mechanic said something about "morning sickness" but everything I've read about that says it is a transmission problem, not steering.

Does anyone have any experience with this??

Thanks!!
  • My 2004 JGC has beat me to death since the cay I bought it. It has 38,000 miles on it with factory Goodyear tires.
    Any suggestions for a smother ride, tires, shocks, if so what kind?

It has never been off-road.
  • gytgyt Posts: 1
    It sounds to me like it is a bad wheel bearing, which are generally cheap to buy, but labor will most likely cost more than the parts.
  • mimi139mimi139 Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 GC Laredo. I had a slight vibration when driving as well as noise coming from breaks sounding like clank clank noise. I just had my front brakes done and the right front axle replaced on the jeep. The service man told me the vibration and clanking noise is coming from the universal joint but then he checked it Monday and said I have to replace the front drive shaft. He said this would resolve it. So I went to get a second opinion and surely I do need to replace the front end drive shaft. However this service station did not charge me the gentlemen put grease into the shaft and told me to drive around and if I continue to hear the noise when I brake then it is not coming from the shaft itself. It is very frustrating. I thought it was my rotors before I got them replaced on the jeep last week. I went into an empty lot and drove in circles to the left and right for a few minutes. It appears turning to the right there is a thumping noise but to the left it is normal. Someone has recommended me to change bothe front hub bearings as I allowed them to take a ride on the highway there was a humming noise coming from my right front wheel. Help this clanking noise is frustrating. I do tend to buy a used drive shaft wchich is cheaper then the dealer cost of over $500 for the part itself. Any feedback will be appreciated greatly. :(
  • mimi139mimi139 Posts: 9
    :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :(
  • kjintfkjintf Posts: 1
    Hi

I am new to this forum and hope I can get some advice
    Purchased My Jeep Overland new it now has 63K miles
    Guess it's not a lot for a 10 year old vehicle

During slow left turns mostly in parking lots I feel a shutter in the steering wheel and hear a clunk / chrunch noise from the front end. Checked all tie rod ends they are tight and look good.

Any and all suggestions for a fix would be greatly appreciated
  • bigfella1bigfella1 Posts: 1
    Hi all,

i recently purchased a 2002 grand cheroke limited. has about 150,000km on the clock and i have a steering problem with the car....intermitently it will not turn left. i can turn the wheel to the full lock position when turning right but when i go to turn left it is as if the steering jams up. i then have to turn right and then back to the left and it will go all the way. makes a shocking noise as well. also a rattle noise is heard from the r/h/f at 50km-60km an hour.

does any of this sound familar to anyone? thanks.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    and you are still driving this on the road as we speak

pray tell me where os can stay away from there till you get it fixed
  • Hey bigfella

I have an 03 and have the same problem. In the morning, or when I first set off after it sitting for awhile, when turning left only it feels like the wheel is stuck on something...then it breaks free and all is fine. Also, when making left turns only, it will squeal 90% of the time.

My Jeep guy says that the only thing to do is replace the steering box. I haven't done it yet but I will eventually. The problem is only an annoyance right now so I'm not in a big hurry to spend the $$.

I know this isn't REALLY an answer but I hope it helps. Most people think I'm crazy when I tell them it only happens when turning left.
  • bad460bad460 Posts: 2
    ball joints are alot of the problem,and the sterring shock is good to check as well. But make sure to check the trac bar for play... this part should have no play in it....
  • bad460bad460 Posts: 2
    yes morning sickness is a term we use in the shop for a tranny that wont go right away in the morning or cold. and yes it has nothing to do with your steering..if you are hearing a squilling noise when this happens it most likely is a belt tension problem..if not some of the early power steering pumps have a pressure valve in them that can fail in cold conditions and intermitantly..
  • I have a 2006 and it happens in hot or cold weather. The longer it sets the worse it gets. I waited until it was happening more often before I took it to the dealer. After I dropped it off, it did not do it at all. Dealer let it set for 4 days, i went and drove it with a tech, and still nothing. They called later that day and said they had found metal shavings in the power steering system. they replaced the power steering pump and the rack and pinion. I picked it up and it was noise / vibration free for almost 2 days.

Has anybody actually had this issue fixed?
  • i have tried everything to get rid of this death wobble i will try the 7/16 bolt and drill out the bushing insert i hope this will work thanks for the info
  • Just a Note: Don't drill out the Bushing any larger than you have to, you want a snug fit.
    Also make sure you use a Grade 8 Bolt.
  • brunsbruns Posts: 1
    I first thought of the hubs disengaging when you say clunk but if you have an overland they dont disengage i believe, if it has quadra-trac, make sure your not in part time or Low. Thats the biggest misconception. Hear are some tips for common maintenance areas that can cause issues that may seem mechanical. Change the Transfercase fluid and filter (every 30,000) since your always in 4wd, make sure make sure! make sure!! your front differential is completely sealed-i learned that the hard way when i found out the fluid had been replaced with water over the years and corroded the gears as well as no protection from each others contact. Even if it is sealed to spec water will still get in, so it should also be replaced every so often (40,000), with removing the entire case and removing ALL fluid and shavings. Add power steering conditioner and check the steering stabilizer as well as all the control arms to be connected correctly. Grease the contact points. Try to determine where the noise is coming from, whether the very front of the car, a little back or directly below the drivers seat.
  • "replacing all steering parts": does this include all four ball joints. This is a major problem with Jeep. The front end may feel tight until you drive. Replacing upper and lower ball joints can be the biggest problem solver out there. Within this procedure you can check wheel bearings, and both front axle shafts for looseness. There are bearings in the axle shaft that can cause this problem. Use a good part CROWN parts are the best, you pay more but last longer than OE parts from dealer.
  • I have replaced all the tie rods myself as well, this tightened up the front end like a brand new vehicle steering. I still have a slight drifting occurance to the right when driving on slightly angled roads. if street is angled left or right that is the way it goes. i have not replaced ball joints or wheel bearings this is next on the list of things to do.