Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Steering Stability and Suspension

Comments

• nachojeepnachojeep Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 and I'm having the same problem. Any luck fixing it?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    turn up radio mine has done this sence 35000miles and now have 1600000miles still no prob
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    and now have 1600000miles still no prob

I suspect you put an extra 0 in there! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mossbackmossback Posts: 2
    I guess it's time to join the crowd. I had not had an issue with my 1987 Cherokee's front end until two weeks ago. Now it shakes violently as the rest of you have described. The car has 190,000 miles and has not been modified, lifted, etc. and has oem shocks. I have noticed that a "repair kit" was installed with an eccentric spacer at the small end of the "A" arm by a previous owner.

I'm going to get as much information as possible before I get into a chain of unnecessary expenses, since repairs and especially parts are expensive here in Hawaii. After reading all the reports, it looks like the first thing might be to rotate the tires (because it's free) and then look at the track bar. Any discoveries out there??? I can sure use the help.

Mahalo
  • tebertsteberts Posts: 18
    Mossback,

I have had this problem with 2 different Jeeps 10 years apart. I am sure the balancing of tires will not help. Do not spend any money except get a new TRAC BAR put in. It will be a minimal cost of about $175-$200. Do not let your mechanic talk you into costly repairs. This will fix the problem. If for some reason it does not then move on to other expensive fixes. Tell them to replace the Trac bar and that should fix it. Please email me and let me know how it works out.
  • texas76texas76 Posts: 1
    ....the ol JGC was driving well, then the steering wheel started to shake, a tiny bit of rough idling and a burning smell coming in the cab. When I put on the brakes, it pulled some to the left. I put on the brakes once pretty good. As I got down the road, it started to drive okay again, but the smell was still in the air somewhat. Help or advice is appreciated. Great forum also!
    sounds as if you have a capaler hanging up prog left side if so change both sides calapers, roters, pads, use good one N0t OEM
  • mgielowmgielow Posts: 1
    02 JGC 4.0L with 85000 miles. At low speeds the turning effort is quite high -- dangerous if turning is necessary for avoidance manuever. Any thoughts on what problem is?
  • offroadpepoffroadpep Posts: 11
    :sick: A little info from an Old Man, :>)
    Been Jeep`en and off roading for years, and have had a similar problem myself.
    With an old 1996 JGC that I run off road and on road here in Arizona.
    We also pull our Quads with it.
    Brake Pads can ware uneven and cause a brake caliper hang up. Or it can happen for other ware related reasons. This will give the ABS a big fit. It will cause one hell of a
    shimmy in the front end and could happen in the back also.
    In short, pull the fuse out of the ABS to disable it. Then drive it for a wile and see if that cures your problem.
    No worry, the brakes will still work just like in the old days, but if you slam them on hard the wheels will lock up and slide, just like they used to before ABS.
    If this cures the problem, have the brakes repaired or do it yourself if your up to it.
    Best of luck with your problem.
    Cactus “PEP” :>) :)
  • cheapxjcheapxj Posts: 2
    I have driven Jeeps in one form or another for over 30 years i have yet to drive one that does not have the WOD. It is a problem that comes from a straight axle mounted to a vehicle with coil springs. You can decrease the amount of wobble with a trac bar and poly bushing and a good stablizer. If you want to get the least amount of wobble replace the trac bar with one that has hiem joints and use poly bushings on all the control arms. Even with this you could feel a small amount of wobble (like an out of balance tire). My 92 xj has poly control arm bushing and a trac bar with hiem joints and a double stablizer this combination has reduce to wobble to nothing. Just remember it is a jeep thing... If you don't like the quirks they have buy an SUV not a JEEP. The above mentioned mods will make the jeep a little harsh for ride but when you use it like a jeep you can't beat it. Most of all enjoy your Jeep it has a very proud heritage.
  • New here, thought maybe I can find the info I'm looking for here. I have tried other forums and did not get much help. I have a 95 xj sport 4.0 HO with a AX15 manual tranny and need to swap to a AW4 due to bad knees. I found that this is a fairly common swap and from the info I have gathered it does not seem to hard to do. What I could really use is a guide or write up on this swap. Anyone know of one? I think I have figured out all of the hardware I need (i.e. Transmission, Flex plate, Cooler and lines...) what is tripping me up is the electronics, do I need a ECU from a auto equipped xj or does mine already have the connections? Where is it located on mine? If I do need an ECU for the auto, what years can I salvage one from? Will the TCU have to be from the same year/year range as the auto tranny or the same year xj as the ECU? If anyone is knowledgeable on this swap I would love to pick your brain for info.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    While you're waiting for a reply here you will want to also try Got a Quick, Technical Question?. Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jeepag24jeepag24 Posts: 1
    My 2001 is doing the same thing (with the shaking) and the same thing with the AC/heat....I've had balance, allignment, bearing stuff, etc. worked on in the past year (dont remember exactly but its been over $800), took it to the dealership this morning and they said I needed 4 new tires and the steering damper replaced?? I don't know....I didn't realize until I starting looking up information about the steering damper thing, how many people's jeep had the same problem....Did you ever get your fixed?
  • tebertsteberts Posts: 18
    I do not know how many times I have to tell guys. TRAC BAR! Do not spend one more nickel until you get a new TRAC BAR! I have this 2 times in my own Jeeps and I know 3 other guys personally. ALL WERE TRAC BARS. It is relatively cheap to fix. Try it!
  • svotsvot Posts: 4
    I brought my 2000 jeep to a mechanic last week with the same problem. He could not figure out what was was wrong. He had suggested replacing the cv joint. I asked which one and he said guess. I told him that this was not a game I want to play. I then brought the vehicle to another mechanic today. He just called me and told me he too does not know what is causing the vibration. I will tell him tomorrow to replace the Trac Bar and let you know if it fixes the problem.

What I stll do not understand is why does it shake sometimes and not others? Why is it difficult for mechanics to locate this issue? He looked at the trac bar today and did not see any sign of damage.
    Cheers
    When I stop at lights I notice that my driving lights shut off and turn on. My RPMS drop to 300-400 at the same time so I suspect it is a electrical drop due to lack of alternator spin. My mechanic replaced the spark plugs and now suggests a fuel injector cleaning. Between the mechanics within the shop they seem to disagree whather this will correct my problem. Has anyone else experinced this problem?
    before i would spend upwords of 800.00 dollars to find the prob i would change the battery first
    most of the prob can be traced back to battery volts not stable jeeps like stable voltage
  • mikeyp53mikeyp53 Posts: 55
    Here's a good one for you Chrysler owners. My 2004 Grand Cherokee developed a clunking sound in the steering wheel and you could feel it in the wheel. Felt like it was comin up through the suspension. Took it to 3 different dealers over a 2 year period. The third dealer replaced the upper steering wheel head and U joint, cured the problem. Its a silent recall and they will fix if you [non-permissible content removed] enough. No charge as car was still under B to B warranty. One year later, still is OK. Anyone else experience this one?
    Okay, finally solved this mystery.... The answer does not lie in the Trac Bar. My story like others... I have taken my vehicle to two well known mechanics.... The last one was Fountain Tire; they diagnosed the two problems that I have; 1st stalling at low rpm when braking and number 2, the shaking at 80km. Number 1- The stalling is likely a misfire. Replaced spark plugs at $200. Number 2 - Shaking, the front end is solid, take it to Jeep to figure out. $100 Diagnostic Charge. Likely a warped rotor. (slightly rotor wobble at high speeds) Better than the previous mechanic Midas, they wanted to replace the cv joints one at a time till the problem fixed itself. I then brought the vehicle to a friends father who teaches mechanics, within five minutes he diagnosed the problems and fixed within the hour. Cost me $50 in parts. #1, rpm loss - throttle body build up, spray air intake cleaner in the throttle body. $5.00 #2, Death Wobble - Steering Stablelizer. Jeep uses a hydraulic stablelizer much like a shock. When it wears out it will have play. THe play allows the wheel to fall into a groove within the roadway and it will bounce back with the broken stablizer and continue to vibrate back and forth due to the fliud within the stablelizer cycling. A working stablizer will pull the vehicle out of the groove in the pavement. Simple removal of two bolts pulls out the stablelizer, if there is play it needs to be replaced. Fixed for $50 cdn.......... In addition the braking vibration was caused by the stablelizer not the roters, wrong again..

Find yourself an experienced mechanic they are well worth the money....