Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Steering Stability and Suspension

Comments

• I hate to say this, but that is almost certainly a defective trac bar, replace it again. If you are really concerned by an adjustable one, and wrench it in yourself in twenty minutes.

Defective parts happen all the time, what can you do?

Randy
    rc
  • I have a 89 jeep cherokee with a 7 1/2" lift, and the front end shakes bad, when you go over 25mph, ive tryed everything, replacced tie rod ends, ball joints, getting the tires balanced, and it still does it. ive tryed ajusting the track bar, but I can never seem to get it right. please help
  • HEY MKCRELOADING. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A CASTER PROBLEM WHICH IS VERY COMMON ON THESE VEHICLE WITH LIFT KITS
    YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR CASTER ANGLE WITH A NEW LOWER
    FRONT CONTROL ARM. THESE FRONT VIBRATIONS CAN GET VERY
    VIOLENT AND DESTROY THE FRONT END OR FLIP YOUR VEHICLE
    MOST LIFT KITS WHEN SET TO THERE CORRECT HEIGHT WILL
    HAVE ALREADY ADJUSTED FOR THE CHANGED CASTER ANGLE THAT
    WILL BE REQUIRED. IF YOU HAVE ALTERED THE HEIGHT OF THE
    LIFT KIT (EXTRA SPRING SPACER OR SUCH) OR HAVE IN SOME
    CASES ADDED RIM SPACERS FOR EXTRA OFFSET THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROBLEM. BUT AS I SAID ITS A KNOWN PROBLEM WITH
    ANY LIFTED JEEP, GOODLUCK WITH IT AND HAVE FUN WHEELING
  • so if I get this alined will this stop the shaking?
  • Hey, I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have been noticing a loud creaking noise in the front end I believe it is suspension related. The noise is only noticeable when it is below 49 degrees. The noise occurs when you go over bumps and right after the suspension is compressed and is recoiling. If you have experienced this or think you may know what it is please let me know. Also if you know of any cheap quick fixes let me know. Thank you
  • did u lift the jeep? it sounds like ur shocks are too short
  • no i did not lift the jeep.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    sounds as if you have a shock that has came apart inside will clunk and clank if so
  • I have about 1000 miles to go till my first oil change on my 2000 Jeep Sport I bought last month.
    I'm thinking of replacing all fluids while I'm at it. How does one determine if the fluids in any of the axles,tranny, T/C, oil pan is synthetic or regular oil.
    There are no records that came with the Jeep for any maintenance schedule or type of fluid used, Just thought I asked.
    Rog :confuse:
  • ..Just got new tires at les Schwab. They balanced them...we went 550 miles...they did an alignment and balanced them again. Started shaking just over 60 mph. We went back to them. One guy overheard the conversation and said let me handle it. Seems the tires fit over a plastic cone that has to be balanced differently. They did it...we just came back from a 450 mi trip.........and no more shaking. Solved our problem for now anyway. :blush:
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I replaced the track bar, but the wobble came back. The rubber bushing at the frame end of the bar is defective. I now have a second track bar to put on but I forgot the torque specs at each end. Do any of you know the specs for a 1987 with a 4.0 engine?

Mahalo

Mossback
  • I have an 88' Cherokee Laredo with a 3" lift and this thing shakes so violently when I hit a bump(any Kind of drop abrasion in the ground no matter how insignificant) at about 35-45 miles an hour. It shimmies so violently I have to bring the car to an complete stop for it to stop if I am driving on a smooth street no problem doesnt happen. Already replaced Traction Bar and Stabilizing shock. Problem still there I was told I need New bushings but I dont see needing new bushings causing this problem. Also was told by a friend my ball joints and tie rod ends look bad. Any Ideas on what might fix this problem I am having.

Thanks,
    Danny
  • cmw2cmw2 Posts: 2
    It's just a workhorse, here in the UK, but I need to address it pulling to the LH side, and scrubbing off the LH front tyre. i have full castor / camber / toe gear, but before i use it I believe that camber and castor are fixed on these? The only adjustment appears to be a single eccentric adjuster on each lower control arm, at the axle end. Being a live fixed axle i can't quite picture what these eccentrics are supposed to adjust?

If castor is out (which I suspect, maybe it's had a knock in the past), how is it adjusted? same for camber, although that LOOKS ok, and it would need to be a mile out to pull as it does, and tear the tyre up as it does.

Thanks.
  • cmw2cmw2 Posts: 2
    The control to direct where the interior air flow goes (say screen, screen and footwells, fascia vents, blah blah) has suddenly stopped responding. Blower fan control and temperature control still work fine. Is there a methodical way to investigate this, any self diagnosis procedure, or any common known faults? Thanks ;)
  • Hi all,

I have a rear passenger tail lamp out.

I've tried replacing the bulb (with 2 new ones to make sure it wasn't the bulb). Still not working.
    I've checked my fuses, all of them are working.

What else can I try?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    prob the bulb holder it self go to jeep they have replacement ones for about 6 bucks
  • ejljejlj Posts: 4
    I've read through all the listings on this site, and see quite a few resolutions to this problem. My '95 Cherokee experiences vibrabration in the font end above 55 mph. After removing the front driveshaft all vibration ended. My cherokee is used with 135k miles on it. I originally found a loose clamp on the front u joint. That was not my issue. I replaced the front driveshaft with a new factory replacement, no luck there either. I was considering rebuilding the transfer case for possible bad bearing. Before starting that major job, I was looking for any possible suggestions. Thanks, EJLJ
    loose clamp by diff or trans case if by dif would check dif bearings before trans case
  • ejljejlj Posts: 4
    Loose clamp was at diff. I rebuilt transfer case and replaced front driveshaft, no help. I guess the diff is all thats left. Any opinions?
    remove front drive shalf drive see if vibration goes a way if so has to be drive shalf or front diff (prob pinion bearings)