Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger III

Comments

• frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    i am not an expert on Rangers. go to the Toyota vs. Ranger posts and a guy named Vince8 likely can give you more detail. here is my humble opinion. both the 3.0 and 4.0 are sound, strong motors. the 3.0 should give you about 1 to 1.5 MPG more, according to reviews i studied [i was trying to make the same decision as you]. i decided upon the 4.0 because i tow bass boats (about 1500 lbs) quite a bit and wanted the torque. also, i wanted a 5 speed auto which Ford only offered in 2000 (at least here in the Midwest) in the 4.0. i think in 2001 you CAN get a 5 speed auto with a 3.0 [should be great for better mileage). ALSO, rearend gearing is a factor. i have the taller ratio (higher gearing), i believe it's 3.53 or thereabouts. many 4x4's come with a 4.11 limited slip rearend. this will increase engine speed (on the highway) and use more gas BUT is better for offroading. the 3.0 is a smoother engine DEFINITELY after driving a number of them. the 4.0 is VERY strong a low rpm, but is somewhat "sluggish", and also very noisy (pushrod noise and knocking...i think it's piston slap). good luck on your decision. either motor should give you many years of good service if you maintain them properly. AND the 4 door cab is GREAT !!
    good luck.
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Posts: 135
    Thanks again for all the info! You have been a great help! I will be looking into the ranger more in depth within a week or so!!

Thanks again to all

If anything new comes up, please let me know!
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    4L engine was totally different from earlier years 4L.

Same size, 4L, but earlier years are OverHeadValves and in 2001 it is a OverHeadCam engine.

Horsepower went from about 160 to 205.

With corresponding decrease in milage.

But, it's going to be a truck. Your milage will be very bad no mater what you buy. Even a 4cyl will not get anywhere near what a car with about the same weight will get.
  • Well my '93 2.3l 4 cyl auto, with 136k miles is getting 20 mpg in the city. (Not too shabby if I say so myself) I say this because my girlfriend's 2001 4 cylinder Accord is getting the same in the city. However Highways milage is about 25-26 for me, but she gets over 30, depending on where she sets the cruise control. Of course I argue wind resistance at that point... :)
    Another point that someone brought up to me was, and I know this doesn't particularly fit in here, but, I was reccomended to look at cars, rather than trucks, since I'd be in an area with little snow and/or bad weather. However, I can't see myself in a little bitty fuel efficient car, but, that might change. You guys reccomend anything?
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    if you want the BEST of small fuel efficient cars, get a Honda Civic. 250 000 mile motors and 30 mpg average. can't beat that. on top of that, their reasle value is excellent. i put 200 000 on and old 81 model and sold it. then, i bought a new 89 DX hatchback. it has about 150 000 on it. maintenance so far: timing belt, spark plugs, 2 alternator belts, and tires. it still runs great, and gets 40 mpg at 65 mph. a fantastic car. another good choice would be a Nissan. they also make strong motors. stay away from American SMALL cars; they are mostly crap.
  • Isn't it wierd that Edmunds has 2002 Ranger data, but Ford.com, and forddirect.com have nothing yet? Quite frankly, I'm a little dissapointed with the apparant lack of the 4.0l in the 4x2 regular cab. And what's this about the XL4 model?
  • csargeantcsargeant Posts: 2
    2001 Ranger 4x4 and the speedomter will go from 60 mph to 100 and them fall off past 120, running 2000 rpm's. Took it to the dealership and they said that they couldn't find anything wrong...needless to say it didn't act up for them. Any suggestions on what it might be????
  • rta3rta3 Posts: 4
    Don't hold your breath on this.I'm going to do some more research into this to make sure what I was told is correct. Will report back to you as soon as I find out.
  • rta3rta3 Posts: 4
    I did some more research and found out that it can't be done. Sorry if I mislead anyone with innacruate info.I will be more dillagent with my research next time before I post any more messages.
  • I'm not sure about the 4.0L XL model, but I think I mistook the XL4 for the FX4 mentioned on edmunds.com 2002 Ranger Page.

I still hope a 4.0l is available in the regular cab(Edge with stick and 4x2), as that's what I really want. It looks like I'll be purchasing early summer in 2002, but if it's not available on invoice order, then I'll be purchasing a 2001 ranger.
  • dle01dle01 Posts: 37
    I have a 1999 Ranger 4 door 2WD with the 3.0V6 and automatic transmission. The truck has just over 40k on it, which puts it out of warranty. I recently noticed a small oil leak, and asked my favorite local repair shop (a Goodyear ASC) to take a look at it while the truck was in for an oil change last week. They inform me that the leak is coming from the main seal between the engine and transmission, and that the transmission will have to be removed to replace the seal. In addition, they tell me they have seen this frequently in Rangers, most recently on a 2000 model with just 15k.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? If it is a common problem, what are my chances of getting Ford to fix it even though the truck is out of warranty? Are there any known Technical Service Bullitins or recalls for this problem?

I am going to fix it regardless, but I think it is pretty absurd that this kind of problem is occurring on a truck this new. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
  • If it's small, just put a dab of silicone on it. Unless you like spending money.
  • hciaffahciaffa Posts: 454
    Why don't you try the dealer anyway. Talk to the service manager and state that its just out of warranty and maybe they can help or meet you half way. If you have been going to them for your routine service or just odd jobs they may look at you as a good customer.Its a shot but take it if not try calling Ford cutomer service and explain the situation.
    Just a small joke here for you guys. You think a '99 Ranger with 40k on it has a bad problem with that oil seal, try a '98 Suzuki Sidekick Sport with 35k on it and the rear end is gone, and no warranty. Also, local dealer has been a pain in the keester to talk to, so, I went for an out of state dealer, who was a lot nicer to me. Good luck getting your ranger repaired. If it proves costly, and its not under warranty, call Ford and/or write them, just might work.
  • dle01dle01 Posts: 37
    1badsidekick -- you are right; one small oil leak does not look like that big a deal compared to your problems. Good luck finding a new vehicle. I have a fairly good relationship with the dealer so I will try there first.

I would still be interested in hearing from other owners who have experienced this problem, or from anyone who knows of any recall or TSB on the main seal. Thanks.
  • 96flea96flea Posts: 38
    I noticed someone metioning the TSB's but want to know what web site its on. Also, how hard is it to change plugs on a 96 4.0 w/air?
    Just wanted to know if these thing are cracked up to what there supposed to be. I've heard a 10-16 hp increase, better tranny shifts and better mpg's. It also looks like Superchip is the best according to one of the Ranger web sites.
  • www.nhtsa.com is the TSB site, I believe.

Don't know about the chips, but it shouldn't be that bad to change out the plugs.

I do know that my '93 2.3l with dual spark head is a chore. It's a 4 cylinder with 8 spark plugs, two for each combustion chamber. The intake side is a snap(10 minutes tops), but the exhaust side takes about 3 rachet extensions/elbows to get the job done(Takes about 45 minutes). It also sucks paying v8 tuneup prices for a 4 cylinder. Especially when I ran platinum plugs.

So if I can do that, a V6 shouldn't be as bad.
    I trid getting my fuel filter off and no problem w/the left tube but the right tube will not budge. What do i have to do?
This discussion has been closed.