Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger III

Comments

• I just bought a 2002 Ranger Edge 4X4. The spare is a P235/75R15, the tires on the truck are P245/75R16. Has anyone tried to fit a P245/75R16 in spare hanger? Also, I was always told not to mix tires sizes or you would damage the drive train. Any thoughts on if the mixing of 16" with a 15" tires?
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    I've heard of not having full size spares, but different wheel sizes -- LOL. Glad I got a Taco.
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    your spare is a donut, just like toyota puts on all their cars and small suv's. the tacoma has a full spare, but their tires suck unless you get the TRD package. they're car tires on a truck. saddaddy has a 2x2 pre-runner, and he may not even have a full spare. however, ford is stupid for not fitting its 4x4 rangers with full-size spares. even the new FX4 has a donut. how stupid is that. if i were you, i would buy a 31x10.50/15 and mount it on that spare. the tire sizes are identical in height, but a little different in width. but the 15 inch tire will be cheaper than locating a 16 inch rim and the 16 inch tire. this is what i did on my '01 ranger. i had 265/70/16's from the recall put on, and a 31 inch spare. these two sizes are nearly identical height and width wise. it will fit under there too. the 15 inch steel spare wheel will take a 31 inch tire. do that. good luck.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    you don't have to get TRD to get 265s on Tacoma. You have 3 rim choices, steels, chrome and alums, and aluminium rims will also hold up to 32x11.5x15s on them.
    please explain how a stock 16" aluminum wheel on a tacoma will hold a 32x11.5x15 like you say in two posts? after all, the only aluminum wheel offered by toyota is a 16 incher, correct? and oh, those choices. $600 just to get steel rims on a truck? plllllllease. ford puts them on standard. and they're 16 inchers. just another gouging from toyota.
    Ok, I screwed up the tire dimensions. The stock tires are 265/70R16s on 16" alum rims.
    The 32x11.5x16 tires fit on them.
    The tires are all the same, the rims are just built of different material. The steel, chrome and alum rims are all 16". Beats me why a 32" fits on alum. rim only, probably alum. rims are wider so they can in fact accomodate the 32x11.5x16 tire.

Sure, Ford puts 16" rims standard. On Tacoma, for $600, you get both rims and tires for the truck (all 5 of them). However, it seems that you were the one who said "I only need 31s to compete with Tacoma". The tires you guys get in stock arent enough for you? 31x10.5x16 tires are $113 or so a piece. I say thats a hefty investment.
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    4-cyl., 5 speed, 4x2. I'm getting a clicking sound somewhere in the steering mechanism in low speed turns. Happens mostly in cold whether just starting out but sometimes when it's already warm. Any ideas?
  • Might be low, or you can flush them too. Mine is a little noisy when turning the wheel in the parking lot, but still steers tight on the road.
    I believe there are also a few boots on the steering input shaft. May just need a little squirt of lube.

scorpio, at least you have a clock in the Ranger that you don't pay 80 bucks extra for, and can't see while driving. :)
    I agree. Oh well. I look at it when I need to, just a slight turn of the head.
    what you smokin? they don't even make the sizes of tires that you're talking about. all the toyota rims are the same width, they wouldn't make the aluminum ones specially wider, that would cost more and call for more aluminum. a 32x11.50x16 is more likely a 265/75/16.

actually, the stock size of ranger tires are 245/75/16- this tire is 30.6 inches tall. your tacoma's tires (if you pay the minimum $600 to get them, again ford includes them standard) are 265/70/16. this size is 30.7 inches tall. a .1 inch advantage. the tacoma tire is wider though. so if you're talking stock tires to stock tires- the crappiest of the two- since the FX4 is available with the best stock tires, and the TRD is available with decent BFG tires, the crappy goodyear wrangler rt/s is tons better than those crappy dunlops coming on non aluminum rimmed tacoma's. for serious wheeling, one would switch. but one would also just buy the FX4 of TRD if they're serious wheelers. and then the range has the tacoma beat with its BFG all-terrains in your beloved size of 31x10.50x15.
    Thing is, I've asked many times on ttora and was told that 32s only fit alum. rims. I don't know why, but I'm asking now.
    It's pretty much always been my point of view that you can't really buy a serious offroader (except a Jeep, but we arent talking about that here). You sort of have to buy a base package, a TRD or FX4, and build on top of that. FX4 and TRD are both potent packages, but they provide only some things.
    Before you announce loudly the victory of FX4 over TRD, lets see it happen :)
  • Tbunder the spare is not a donut it is a P325/75R15. I just got back from the dealer and they swaped four P325/75R15 tires from a 2W Edge and put my 16" tires on it. Problem solved. Also, there was a problem with the $2000.00 Ford rebate that I didn't think I received credit for. After a discussion with the sales manager, they cheerfully re-wrote the sales agreement for $1000.00 less. I am still in shock over how well I was treated. By the way the dealer is Vista Ford of Oxnard (California).
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    They kept your $2,000 rebate, then when you complained they gave you $1,000 of it and you are overjoyed???????????
  • smgillessmgilles Posts: 252
    265/70/16=30.7x10.7

265/75/16=31.8x10.5

270/75/16=31.3x11.0

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com

• They did not keep the $2000 but there was a misunderstanding on my part. They even had the sales rep's notes to show that I was wrong. Then they re-wrote the sales agreement giving me another $1000 off. In the end I got the truck for $250 above Edmunds TMV price. Still not too bad. The did have a legal contract, but in order to make me happy the cut the price.
    i think you meant to say it's a 235/75/15, eh? anyways, it is still a donut. ford does not put full-size spares on its ranger trucks. it says right on the tire limited use.

also, are you saying you swapped your four 16" wheels and tires for the crappy 15's? if so, you shouldn't have. i told you, just buy a 15" 31x10.50 if you want a match. that, or find an old ranger or explorer (they have full spares on them, even the ones with 16" wheels) steel wheel and buy a 16" tire and put it under your truck. done deal. please explain. i doubt you have 325/75's on your ranger. you wouldn't be able to turn all that rubber. if you swapped for 235's, you went down over an inch in tire height.

smgilles- your point is what? i knew all that.
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Posts: 172
    help me out here. remember when i accidentally shifted into reverse while driving? well i got the fluid and filter changed after that and in the last 2 weeks or so i notice a growling noise...much like the noise you get when you put a manual tranny in too high a gear for the speed youre going...sounds like bogging down sorta. except this happens in my 2000 Ranger with auto tranny and 18k miles. any idea what this noise is? it doesnt seem to mater the conditions...it does it when its downshifting, mostly, but also when accelerating. also i have noticed that when i start it on a hill and put it in gear it sorta shudders a bit, like it wanted to stall. this is annoying to say the least. help me out here!
  • nerdnerd Posts: 203
    I am about ready to dump my 2000 GMC Sierra due to numerous problems in only 18 months of ownership. This time I am considering compact trucks (except anything GM). I have no brand loyalties, but I want an extended or crew cab that is solid and reliable. I need something with a six-cylinder engine and manual trans.

I guess all of you are Ranger owners. I would appreciate your comments on why you selected a Ranger (I assume that Mazdas are the same as Rangers).
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Posts: 172
    in my opinion, the ranger is the best looking compact and has the most standard features and has been the number one seller for a reason.
    i bought it and loved it. i did hours of research on edmunds and cars.com and by asking owners. the ranger just met all my needs best and was also the lowest priced model. the only thing i would caution against is, not to buy the four cylinder with an auto tranny...lol...i did, after a test drive on flat ground in town. too bad i didnt go up a hill or something, i would have bought the v6 or at least a stick shift.
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    The Ranger had by far the best, most modern looking, interior. The 60/40 seats were much more comfortable than the S10 I tried, the 4 cyl had more torque, and the shift action was much more precise.

I also thought the 2wd S10 was shaped like a slug and liked the styling of the Ranger much better. I have never liked that wierd, body-colored, wedge-type thingy on the back of the S10 they call a bumper.
This discussion has been closed.