Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger III

1515253545557»

Comments

• rangeroorangeroo Posts: 4
    I have a 97 Ranger 4x4 Super Cab in need of new tires. The size on there now is 31x10.5x15 and I would like to stay with the same wheels. I live on the coast of Washington state, so the conditions are rainy and mild temps. We can drive on the beach here, so having tires that would be good in sand are important. My other main criteria is for something that is quient on the highway. This is not a daily driver and would not be used for a lot of highway miles, but I would like a tire that is good for at least 50K miles.
    My price range is intermediate.

Any specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, please give any info on which tire brands are good or bad to buy. Thanks very much.
  • dwrestledwrestle Posts: 72
    Why don't they make a 4x4 2.3I Ranger? I would definitely buy that truck, put a turbo or super charger in it. Since they don't what would a FX4 get mpg wise. With a standard tranny?

by the way what are the 3.0, and 4.0 gas mileage with a standard tranny, with 4x4 or FX4.

Also what is the replacement for the 3.0 going to be.
  • yadmanyadman Posts: 8
    I just purchased an 04 Ranger XLT and have a question about the oil dip stick. I've asked a couple of dealers and they have different answers.

The stick has two holes drilled into it, one for the "Add" mark and one (I presume) for the "Full" mark. The odd thing is from the lower hole to a spot dead center between the holes is the typical hash marks one would normally see when there are no holes at all.

So the question, is the oil full when it's at the top of the hash mark (center of holes) or when it reaches the top hole?
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Posts: 218
    I read on another website this morning that the Ranger is gonna be offered with leather seating @ some point in the 2004 model year.

Thats the first I have heard of it.

Would be interesting to see.....I always thought a Ranger King Ranch Edition would be cool!

jkidd
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    It in the options list now. I don't know about what else you also have to order....

I've never seen one.

And, I think it's bucket seats only, not 60/40.
  • dmoulddmould Posts: 76
    I have a 2001 Ranger XLT 4x4 with the 4.0L SOHC and manual transmission, and usually get about 17 - 18mpg, right in between the rated 15mpg city and 20mpg highway. This truck is not any better on gas than a full size with a small V8. The front driveline is always turning, so that contributes a lot of drag and affects the fuel economy, especially when the weather turns cold.
    I have seen some Rangers on the lot with the leather bucket seats, they look good. I like the higher backrests on the 2004 models.
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    Eh? My 04 Dakota Quad V8 barely manages 15 most of the time. Most of the full sized trucks I know of get less, and would kill to get what you're getting.

As for tires...Bridgestone Dueller APT IIs where the last set on my Ranger. I put them on at 90 and they barely look worn when I got rid of the truck at 107K. In fact I had an oil change at about 100K and they thought I had just put on brand new tires when they had 10K on them.

These tires got great traction in snow and sand, but the handling sucked. VERY floaty in tight corners and made for squishy transitions on the highway. But they were definitely quiet. I paid about 400 at Sears before all the extra stuff like mounting and balancing.
This discussion has been closed.