Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Braking Problems

Comments

• huckelhuckel Posts: 1
    Anyone else having this brake problem with their truck? First the brakes felt like an ABSproblem with no ABS lite coming on just the jerky shudder when slowing down. Now the ABS and park brake lites are both on and the brake pedal is very soft almost to the point of having to pump the brakes to stop. Resevoir is still full to the top and no signs of a cylinder leaking. Huckel
  • rudy616rudy616 Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, I just bought a 2005 Dakota 4x2 and when the brakes are applied at a high rate of speed (60-70mph) the front end starts jumping. The front end will also vibrate between 55 and 60 mph, had the tires balanced and rotated but this did not correct the vibration problem.
    Rudy
  • 01dak01dak Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Dakota 4.7L. I noticed that the rotor on the passenger side was worn oddly. Therefore I want to replace the rotors and pads. I have limited knowledge of vehicular repair. Is this something I will want to try to do myself? Or is it better left to the pros?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Replacing rotors/pads is not a difficult task.. but I would not suggest tackling it without knowledge/tools and a buddy that has done it before.

If any work needs to be done to the hydrolic system. (like bleeding), it is better to have some knowledge of what you are doing.

Keep in mind that brakes are an important safety feature on your Dak. and we dont want anyone to get hurt (or worse).

When you pay somone to do it... they also assume liability and provide a warantee too. (You are not just paying for parts and labor)
  • 01dak01dak Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advice
  • 1jim1jim Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dakota with 60225 miles on odometer, at 60000, the chec engine lite came on. Within 1 week both brake and ABS lites on dash came on. Truck brakes OK, master cylinder is full and there are no leaks. Any ideas? Thank you. Jim
    Did you "pull the codes" from the onboard diagnostics? (review forum history (use search button) for procedure)
  • anyone ever had a problem with the ABS light coming on at around 40 or 45mph i have a 2000 dakota
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    My guess would be that you have a weak Speed Sensor in the rear differential housing. These are easily replaced from outside the axle housing, one bolt attaches it.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • bone5bone5 Posts: 5
    I replaced the speed sensor in the differential. still get a ABS and brake light after driving a few miles. any ideas on next move? ABS and brake light will sometimes come on if the truck is just idling in the driveway. front rotors have been turned down very thin could this be the problem?
    Have you checked the brake fluid level in the master cylinder?

Dusty
    Yes. The level is good. The brakes are pretty touchy sometimes, especially when you first start up.
    "Touchy" brakes often point to an issue with the vacuum-booster.

If a single wheel is locking up (touchy), then check for brake-fluid leaking on to the rotor/drum.
  • 2003 club cab, 4.7, auto, 70,000 loving mi (used as car), 4 wheel disk w/antilock.

With normal driving, I have an intermitant pulsation when stopping. This has varing intensity and comes and goes with different stops on the same trip. I only feel this pulsation in the "seat of my pants", not in the steering wheel. Stops straight with normal pedal pressure.

I have disasembled and looked at: rotors; clean & smooth -- pads; factory, thick, clean & smooth -- calipers; dry, pistons free -- fluid; clean & full.

I'm at a loss, HELP.

Thanks, Dave
    Will brake booster problems cause the brake and ABS lights to come on? How can you check the booster to see if it's the problem?
    Your symptoms are typical of rotors that have developed hard spots. As the pad moves ove the rotor surface during brake application, the pad travels over a small section that effectively has a much different surface friction value, changing the speed of the vehicle. This delivers a sensation different than a rotor that is warped or has run-out, which is always felt through the brake pedal or the steering wheel.

Despite the appearance of the rotor surface, I would recommend replacing the rotors, especially if they have 70,000 miles on them.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT and just replaced my caliper. rotors and pads. we boled the brakes 4-5 times and stil the brake and ABS lights come on and I still have no brakes. Can someone help me????
    Obviously you have not purged out all of air from the hydrolic system.

Did you allow it to run totally dry (Air got in)? If so, then you may need to perform special steps to get the air out of the ABS pump and accumulator.

Also, what technique did you use to bleed the system?
    1) Pressure-bleeding?
    2)Vacuum-bleeding?
    3) Manual pump-the-pedal process?
  • ch4bsch4bs Posts: 1
    I have a Dodge Dakota Quad cab that I had to have the rear end changed. My mechanic (I believe) installed a rear from a Dakota that was not a quad cab. The hubs on this one are smaller than the hubs that were originally on the truck. The rear brakes now squeak when going down hill or there is a load on the truck. He tells me that the different rear with the smaller hubs should not make a difference.
    Is this correct and/or is there a fix for this other than the rear being changed again?
    Sqeeking drum brakes should not be considerd "problem" especially on a truck. My Dak brakes sqeeked for most of the 95K miles I owned it.

I may be costly to get rid of squeek and you will not have any better stopping-power... I suggest you ignore it and be happy.