Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Real World MPG

1235»

Comments

• Update: I now have 3500 miles on her. With winter driving and fuel my new "worst tank" is 29 mpg and my overall average since day 1 has dropped to about 34.6 mpg. Still well above my expectations for the car.

Most of my driving is short trips with very little highway use above 50mph.
  • arturo7709arturo7709 Posts: 1
    my hyundai accent 2002 spends too fast the gasoline, last weekend i fill tank with 2 or 2.5 gal, but i just stayed in the city it last just one day, a week ago the workshop changed the oxygen sensor but it seems the consumtion is still fast,

any ideas what can i do to stop fast gas spend?
  • I got a 2009 SE and for such a little car even with a auto trans. I should be getting better then 30 mpg but thats the best i have gotten and have tried every thing !!!! . 35 mpg is what it said on the sticker !!!!!!!, but after 12000 miles even going 50 mph on the hwy. the best i gotten is 30mpg and my norm is 28 mpg. If you are thinking about getting one count on around 30 mpg .
    thanks a lot Hyundai :lemon:
  • I've been getting 33 mpg city for quite a while. Some of that is regular driving, some of that is speeding, some is highway, some is suburban roads. Every time I do the math, it's 33-34 mpg. I went on a weekend trip (mostly highway) once and got 40 mpg.

It's a great car. Don't know why it's never given it's mention in fuel efficient articles/reports. The cars that are mentioned do get better mileage (some not THAT much better), but they cost 3 times as much. My little Accent was $9300 new after taxes, tags, and registration in 2001. Can't beat it!
  • majun1majun1 Posts: 1
    I recently made a trip from Dallas to Eunice, LA, the total mileage is 385 miles and I only used up 8.75 gallon. During the whole trip, whenever I had the air condition on[about 3 hours] I kept my speed limit around 55mph, without the air condition on I drove 65 mph. Of course, I almost killed by several cars trying to pass me. Finally I reached my record of 44 mpg on a 2007 Hyndai Accent, 2 seater. I am happy with it.
  • Agree with you. With careful driving, the Accent will get well past 40 MPG. Going up to 5500 foot Chinook Pass, east of Mt. Rainier & back to sea level, I nailed down 42 MPG in a 2008 manual hatch. Next day, while traveling over 3000 & 4000 foot mountain passes & into a 101 degree day in Eastern Washington, the Accent got 41.8MPG. On the third day, the Accent got 45.1 mpg while ascending & dropping from a 1400 foot pass. :D
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.
  • easym1easym1 Posts: 218
    I just bought this car for my daughter over a week ago and she complained that the USB port does not work properly. I called the dealership to book a date to get it checked and was advised that I need to purchase a $40 connector to make it work as part of the design. I was truly surprised on this and did not expect it. I spoke to the salesperson that sold me the car and he seemed unaware of it. I'm truly dissapointed!
  • I've had my 2012 Accent hatchback SE for 7500 miles now, and haven't posted more that 33 mpg yet, even in ECO mode, cruise control, 70 mph on straight, flat highway. I've been averaging about 31 on highway commutes under ideal conditions. I bought the car based on the advertised 40 mpg highway figure and boy am I feeling like I got fleeced.
  • radar1radar1 Posts: 25
    The highway portion of the EPA rating averages only 48.3 MPH, and never exceeds 60 MPH, so if you're hoping to see the highway rating at 70 MPH you probably won't see it. The faster you go the quicker your fuel gets consumed due to additional drag.
    If your fuel has ethanol in it, then it also hurts your mileage.
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
  • "The highway portion of the EPA rating averages only 48.3 MPH, and never exceeds 60 MPH, so if you're hoping to see the highway rating at 70 MPH you probably won't see it."

I do easily. All the time in every car I've ever owned, I can easily hit the EPA Hwy number at 70mph.

There is a high speed portion (to 80mph) in the EPA testing that have been added in to the formula since 2008. The EPA Hwy numbers are NOT based solely on the test you noted. Haven't been for 5 years now....
  • radar1radar1 Posts: 25
    You are correct, I missed that there is an additional high speed cycle used to adjust the highway cycle (likely downward). Although that test does hit 80 MPH, the average speed on that portion is still only 48.4, probably because it includes 4 stops and acceleration cycles, compared to 48.3 on the slower max speed highway cycle.
    I too easily exceed the highway rating on my 2005 Accent (37 vs 30), and my 2008 Subaru (28-30 vs 26). My 2004 Dodge Dakota at about 18-19 has a hard time meeting either the old rating (20) or the updated rating (19).
    For the 2012 Accent, I only see a 37 highway rating, not a 40 as mentioned in a previous article. Was that a change at some point?
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 573
    edited December 2012
    Yes, it was revised down on 11/02/2012 after EPA testing. The 40 mpg Hwy rating was lowered to 37 mpg at that time.

The 37 mpg figure should be achievable by most drivers on the highway at normal highway speeds of 65 to 70 mph. Not uphill, not driving into a 40 mph headwind, and not at 75 or 80 mph.

Drivers should not be observing 28, 29, 30 mpg Hwy. It defies logic in small, light cars turning relatively low rpms. These cars (mainly Elantra and Accent) don't require that much energy to maintain a constant 65 mph. When owners report under 30 mpg Hwy, I scratch my head because it doesn't make sense. Now if they are averaging 30 mpg in mixed driving? That makes sense. ;)
1235»