Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon Reduced Engine Power message

Comments

• applesauce12applesauce12 Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I just got a 05 Cadillac Escalade base with 140k mileslast month. Yesterday morning when I was driving on the road, all of sudden the T&C light on, stability light on, reduced engine power on, and the truck lost power. I slowly pulled over the road, and shut off engine then restart it. The same thing happened. I felt lucky that no car behind us at that time otherwise we may be hit. My wife and two kids were in the truck with me. Really scared me...

I had the truck towed to a close dealer for check. They said they will work on it on Monday.

After reading so many bad storied here, I felt mad on GM's attitude towords customers. It seems GM really doesnot care about customers. This is a safety hazard to custoers!
  • Last night was the first day of rain in my area on the freeway with wife heading home all of a sudden power reduce light again tried to make it to sde of road but everything cut off as i was unable to get over truck coming behind me went around me spent out sideways trying to get control of his car lucky no one was hurt some people help me out by push my truck to the side of the road my back is stiff but i guess these are the risk when you buy gmc me and my wife after that sat on the side off the freeway a little rattled but ok highway patrol showed up ask if we were ok after all said and done we told them we called for a tow truck i have not had this car long and have used up all my tow packages and my new package will be gone next i dieing in towing alone but me and my wife are safe and made it home i just thank god and prey that i can get out this car because thats all it seem you can do.I will buy foriegn cars from now on :sick: at least they back there work.
  • I was driving down interstate 30 in Little Rock, AR when all power went away and the screen on my 2006 GMC Sierra Denali read "reduced engine power". I nursed it to the nearest certified GM repair shop at 10 miles per hour. That shop is Crain Chevrolet in Little Rock, AR. After a $96 diagnostic fee they said the problem was with the throttle body which would need to be replaced & that would fix it for $560. I got my truck back for the weekend and Monday 11/12/12 on the interstate at 70 MPH I lost power again. I had to maneuver across 3 lanes of traffic to get to an off ramp while the display read the same “reduced engine power” message. I returned to Crain where they said the ECM had gone bad and now that would need to be replaced. I am now over a thousand dollars in repairs that have twice been certified as “fixed” by a certified GM Service department at the dealer. To say I was disgusted this morning 11/13/12 on my way to work when I lost power and looked at the same “reduced engine power” message is beyond an understatement. I have had to take time away from work three times now in a single week for the privilege of having a GM certified dealer slowly charge me to replace working parts to my truck one at a time while the same very unsafe problem keeps leaving me at the mercy of where I will be the next time my truck decides to lose power and hope it does not cause an accident. I know people have gotten together to discuss the same issues they are having with their GM trucks and their dealers inability or unwillingness to fix this serious safety flaw that it appears to give them the opportunity to just keep cars coming back for more costly repairs that will not fix the problem. I don't usually post on things like this but this can't go on and people must know this is being done to unsuspecting GM owners!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,068
    randomconsumer,
    We're sorry to hear that you have had to go back to the dealership a few times for the same concern. If we can look into this further for you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • well please help me i am irate i had the same issue with the throttle and it said engine power reduced i have a 2007 yukon mind u they had to replace transmission and engine in the last year under warranty they just replaced engine now this and i have to pay to get it fixed which is 180.00 so many issues from this truck to the handles peeling the door thingy peeling i would love to join a lawsuit!!!
    If you haven't already, msdrea1, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, a summary of the situation, and the name of your dealership) and we'd be happy to look into this further with you.

• I have a 2003 Escalade that started to do the same thing I noticed after a car wash and driving home from up north. I had to pull to the shoulder 4-6 times to shut the truck all the way down. When I restarted it ran fine then right when we got in to town it did it again. Very scary situation when you have kids on board and it is 15 degrees outside and not to mention the cars honking and acting aggressive. Did you ever get an answer??
  • kim90kim90 Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2009 GMC Yukon Denali with 40,000 miles on it. I will be driving, when all of a sudden the radio turns off for a split second, then the airbag light comes on, followed by the traction control light and engine shifts out of gear and takes me down to zero RPM's. It was doing it randomly for the past couple weeks, only for a split second, but today, as I was driving home, it did it for a good 2 minutes straight. Any ideas as what this could be, as I am out of warranty?
    Good morning kim90,

We can certainly understanding wanting to search out input on this loss of power concern on your Yukon as you're out of warranty by mileage. If you had any questions about recall or warranty information, or wanted us to work with you and your dealership toward hopefully resolving this concern, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a brief recap of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).

In the meantime, I wish you the best in getting to the bottom of the situation as you seek to resolve it yourself.

• Wow, thanks for posting. I live in Joliet and have been having the exact same problem with my 02 Yukon XL. I bought it new and never had any problems until about 6 months ago. I'm going to try to make it to Goodes next week for a harness check/repair. 45 mins away on I80 should be an interesting ride haha.
  • I guess it'll take a wrongful death settlement or two or three before the balance sheet makes it worth GM's time
  • Same thing happened to me and it ended up being a bad ground from the battery. The dealership replaced the battery cables and that fixed the problem.
  • I have the same exact problem on my 2009 Sierra 1500.
    While driving the engine stalls and goes into a "Reduced Engine Power" state.

It starts with the indication on the DIC of "Stabiltrak disabled", followed by "Service Stabilitrak" followed by "Service Traction Control" lastly followed by "Reduce Engine Power" and eventually the engine stalls out leaving me with only manual steering and manual braking. Then the Check Engine lights stays on and after shutting down the engine and let it rest (for a couple of hours) the lights shuts off.
    It has been happening for the last 6 months, and when it happens in the highway at 65 mph is very dangerous, because it suddenly looses power completely and changing lanes to get to the service road without any power is extremely hard.

I took it to the dealership two times and they couldn't recreate the problem, nor fix it.
    As they couldn't fix it and keep happening again, I took the truck to another shop where they found some codes on the computer (U0073, PO641, PO107) They say that relates to the MAP sensor and that it should be covered on the 100.000 miles power-train warranty.
    Researching online I found that is a very typical problem with GM, relate to the air intake or the throttle body.

Please GM fix this!
    jla303,

We're sorry that your dealership was unable to recreate the concern you've been having with your Sierra. If you would like for us to check into this further with you and your dealership, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include a summary of the situation, name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership).

• Last Saturday, I almost hit a gas truck while stopped at a light. The service engine light had come on unexpectedly a few miles before. I called the dealership and they said I could stop by and check the 'codes' but no one could see it until today (Monday).

I finished my errands and exited the freeway near my home. Imagine my excitement when with my foot on the brake, the car surged forward from a dead stop. I reacted quickly both pushing the brake harder and switching from drive to 'N' neutral. My kids were a bit shaken up and then the real fun began as the car displayed several messages almost simultaneously. "Service stabilitrack" and "Engine power reduced" kept flashing across the display.

I was able to get to the dealership some 2 miles away but never going over 1000 rpms. Scary enough experience to question the car I have so enjoyed to this point. The good news came this morning that while I am about 39500 miles, the repair was covered under warranty. The throttle body motor was replaced.

I talked to two technicians and neither would confirm or deny any similar issues in other trucks, and said these things just happen. I now can only hope that the same issue does not occur again especially on a long trip or while hauling a boat. I have never commented online about a car before. I was surprised to see so many people with the similar problem.
  • I contacted socialmedia@gm.com and they created a reference number for me. With that in hand I went to the dealership "again". Its been there for 4 days now and they called me today to say that is not a throttle position sensor but a gas pressure sensor that "coincidentally" is not covered under the warranty and they expect $380 for that job.
    I did a lot of research about this, and evidently I am not the first one having this problem and it has been proved that replacing the throttle position sensor fix it. I saw a lot of people falling on the same trap I am being leading to, and I am sorry GM, I am not falling there.
    If there are problems with your vehicles, fix it, is that simple. Don't expect your costumers to pay for your mistakes.
  • By the way, I bought this truck brand new on April 1st 2009, the day GM broke and bellied up. Acting as a proud american I preferred investing in something "made in America" giving my 2 cents (correction $29.560) trying to solve our economy.
  • I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE...I DIDNT HAVE ISSUE UNTIL DEALER REPLACED MY ENGINE...THAN I TOOK IT BACK WHEN IT HAPPENED MIND U I HAD MY CHILD IN THE CAR IN 6PM TRAFFIC SCARY. THE FIRST TIME I WAS DRIVING UP A HILL WITH MY KIDS IN THE CAR AND IT SLOWED ALL THE WAY DOWN TO 15PMH IN DANGEROUS TRAFFIC. I TOOK TO DEALERSHIP THEY CHARGED ME 178 CLEAN THROTTLE. IT HAPPENED AGAIN YESTERDAY I TOOK TO ANOTHER GM DEALERSHIP BECAUSE I LOST ALL FAITH IN THE PREVIOUS DEALERSHIP SINCE I HAD JUST GOT IT FIXED THE FIRST TIME LESS THAN TWO MONTHS AGO. THEY SAID A PIECE HAS TO BE REPLACED THAT WAS ANOTHER 400. I CALLED THE PREV DEALERSHIP TO GET SOME TYPE OF COMPENSATION SINCE THEY SHOULD HAVE OFFERED TO REPLACE PIECE FROM THE BEGINNING AND GOT A NASTY EMAIL FROM THE OWNER. ...AND THE EMAIL FROM THE DEALER WAS THE TOPPING ON THE CAKE.
    fedup34,
    Have you contacted customer assistance already about this? If you would like for us to check into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation thus far).

• my 2009 chevy tahoe did the exact same thing, i did get a letter from chevy about this issue last week, i said ah, i dont have that problem, and put the letter away(now that the issue has occured) i cant find the letter, but the onboard dash message, just displayed the check engine light, stability traction control warning and reduced engine power warning, and atb lights, and i could only drive up to 15mph, a trip that would normally take me 15 mins...took me 45 mins and the truck just kept jerking, just enough to get me home...pretty scary.....
    suez317,
    Glad that you made it home okay! If we can check into anything for you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with a summary of the situation).

• I'm a trial lawyer from California and own a 2007 Denali that had the same engine shutdown problem on a busy street the other day. Paid to replace the batter - 2nd time in 18 months - and the problem reoccurred. Now, I have been asked to replace the throttle body and computer. The mechanic cannot replicate the check engine problem because it is intermittent. It sounds like even the throttle body replacement may not fix the issue.

After reading most of this thread while waiting in an airport, I am seriously considering filing a class action or at minimum a personal lawsuit. This issue has "defect" written all over it and we have 545 messages addressing this topic alone. That isn't including the multitude of other threads on other sites.

I'm simply not going to dump $1100 into a "solution" to this problem where it has been proven ineffective. What am I missing here? Why hasn't a recall been issued? Why does the engine simply shut down at 50mph?!
  • I have posted on here before and far as my denali 2005 throttle body was replaced but the truck still has issues i bought this truck used didn't make it to the 90 day warranty been dealing with the problem for about 7 months finally got a lawyer and the dealer is going to make me a offer not sure how much it will be but i need out of this peace of junk.
  • I thought I would let you know that I went through all the same problems. I even told the GM rep that I was talking to that I was ready to get a lawyer and he got really mean with me, and told me if I was going to go that way he couldn't talk to me any more. I only mentioned that because I almost wrecked mine when it quit running in the middle of a turn to get it off the road when it went into reduce power mode. I almost hit another car at the corner because I could not hardly turn it or stop it without the power steering or brakes. If my wife had been driving it I'm sure there would have been damage due to the fact she would not of had the strength to steer it.
    In the end I got my "03 Denali fixed, the dealer had to BUILD a whole new wire harness from the gas pedal to the throttle body. Its a throttle by wire system and they have bad made in Mexico wiring. You can not order this harness from GM they have to build it. A wire should never go bad unless it rubs through the insulation over time and shorts out. And when there is an interruption in the circuit it defaults and goes to limp mode and will only give you 15-20 mph.
    I explained to GM thats like having to change out the wiring every time you have to replace you head light bulb. You should never have to deal with the wiring, unless it physically gets caught on something and breaks, chafes through, or corrosion from moisture i.e. car was in a flood. GM has a real big problem! and to my understanding the new model truck are not covered by warranty on the whole throttle body? If you would like to know more feel free to contact me. I just gave a short and to the point run down on the story.
  • Continuing to have same issue with the reduced engine power light and the vehicle going to 'idle' mode. This is my primary transportation so I try to deal with it. I replaced the fuel filter to no avail. One mechanic suggested the TPS, throttle position sensor. I went to a dealer yesterday to look at new vehicles and told the salesperson about my issue and he said he never heard of it. Really?
    Summary-It seems to go into 'reduced engine power' mode when it sits overnight at 45 degrees or colder. Once it warms up it clears the check engine light and runs. I also have cleaned the air filter(K and N) and sprayed carburetor cleaner throughout the intake. This seems to help somewhat but not solve the problem. Any help would be greatly apprectiated
  • When my '03 Denali first had the problem it was a nice 60 degree day. Like everyone else turn it off for a few min. and it would be fine. I have a mechanic friend whom used to work for a local GM dealer. He told me to go to Auto Zone where they'll do a free scan, and if it's code 220 or something like that it might be a connector at the throttle body. We tried that fix first and for a few weeks it seemed to be ok. Then on a cold night REP happened again. It just kept getting more frequent and worse to where it would quite running, and outside temp. didn't matter. I called GM and they insisted that I get a scam form a dealer, which I told them was pointless. A computer scan will read the say no matter where you go, all they want is your money. My friend told me that GM has a problem with the wires breaking inside the insulation for the throttle body, and since the connector didn't fix it we would have to look at building a whole new wire harness. After many run around with the as always never helpful GM customer service staff, and to what I'm sure they must have trashed talked about me to my dealer. And at which point my dealer was not happy with the way GM handled the situation my dealer did just that. They built me a new wire harness! I did also get a new throttle body. But I am 110% convinced it was the BAD WIRES all the way!!! Knock on wood it's been great ever since!
    I also argued with GM about all the post on this site. Shortly after that I notice GM service agents posting their scripted noncomittal reply to everyone on here, as long as they were using a GM service department. Gm does not care or show interest in those who have brand loyalty. For some reason I bought a new 2011 Avalanche last year. It was a nightmare to get it. I requested it be put on a trailer to get it to me because they had to do a dealer trade. After three weeks of waiting, I ended up going to get it myself and drive it back to my home town 4 hrs. one way. I only wanted it trucked or drive it myself, I didn't want anybody else to drive my knew truck first. Thats how I felt it should be, if it was going to have miles on it I wanted to know how it was driven. After three weeks, getting a one way rental that we paid for and putting $85 of my money into it for gas to get it here. The dealer didn't offer any reimbursement, and GM would only give me a $100 towards maintenance. Then I found out the d--- thing was final assmbled in Mexico. GM is out of touch with the customer, they don't even seem to care when buying new.
    Best of luck I hope this helps?
  • whtlkewhtlke Posts: 1
    2011 Yukon Denali. While driving today I got a "Stabilitrak/Reduced power" message and then no power to speak of. Called dealer and they said its either a cable bundle or the throttle body. They seemed very familiar with the problem. So my $60k car with a whopping 42k miles is at the dealer being repaired to the tune of $600. Realy, issues at 42k miles. After 30 years and 7 GM cars I'm done trying to support these guys.
    whtlke,

We're sorry to hear that your Yukon has to have some repair work done! If you would like for us to follow up on this with the dealership, we're happy to do so. Please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• Oh wow! I was in the middle of a busy Chicago intersection and I got a traction control/adjust stabilitrak/reducing engine power message and my 2007 Yukon shut down!!!!

I was terrified! I am going to head to the dealer and I can almost guess they are going to give me an over priced quote with a bunch of dealer jargon that will not fix the problem based on the information I am seeing here. I am scared. Should I drive my car? I do not see why this is not a recall issue. What will it take to get this recalled? Does someone have die because their engine power reduced while driving?

I will keep updates here on any progress. Hopefully it will help someone with the same issue.
  • died01died01 Posts: 1
    My wife just had this problem today - reduced engine power - had to be towed and her 2011 Denali only has 38k miles. This is really terrible that this type of problem seems to be more than an anomaly based on all the threads on multiple sites yet no notification to owners. We will wait to see what dealer says since car had to be towed to delay 1.5 hrs away from our home.