Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid - Driving Tips & Tricks

2»

Comments

• Is your airconditioner or defrost on? The electric engine will not kick in if either of these are on. Do you have the econ button pushed? What is the temperature outside? Have you tried running in town in the low gear? Have you tried giving the break a tap, then coasting? Does your display say that electric energy is ok?There are several things that could be happening, but we need more information.
  • AC was NOT on. ECON was not on. Defrost was NOT on, but heat is/was operating when cold outside. Outside Temp is 40-75 (F) varies (lately). Fan is ON most of the time (whether in heat or AC mode).
    Are you implying that I can not set a comfort environment and be in EV Mode? Woe, that's crazy.

PS to moderator: I checked the prior messages but listing this under "Driving Tips" seemed to bury the issue. That seemed more concerned with "technique" instead of some overall systemic isssue with EV Mode. Sorry!
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Posts: 161
    The modes that prevent full EV are discussed in the owners manual.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,792
    "AC was NOT on. ECON was not on. Defrost was NOT on, but heat is/was operating when cold outside. Outside Temp is 40-75 (F) varies (lately). Fan is ON most of the time (whether in heat or AC mode).
    Are you implying that I can not set a comfort environment and be in EV Mode? Woe, that's crazy. "

If you are in ECON mode the engine should have shut off ENABLED except in the following conditions:

1. When the engine is warming up.
    2. If the defrost is on, or the "defrost and floor" is on.

If neither of these is true, something is wrong with your FEH.

I say shut off EV mode is ENABLED, because if you keep pressure on the gas pedal, the engine will run. However, it should always shut off when you are stopped at a light or in traffic.
  • dyoungmdyoungm Posts: 2
    I have an 06 Chev HHR with the larger motor and all the bells and whistles(no hybrid). I consistently get 28.2mpg even with my heavy foot but with the wife in the car or her driving we can get 30.1mpg. I was looking at the FEH for better gas milage but after reading the messages here I probably ought to get another HHR gas-ser. I wanted the tow capacity of the FEH but the upfront cost and less out the door gas milage are discouraging and not worth the difference in towing power.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Posts: 161
    Towing capacity of the FEH is only 1000 lbs., not the 2500 of the V6 Escapes. If you are getting over 30 mpg in the HHR you will not get much better in the FEH, even FWD, especially if towing a lot.
  • Has anyone heard good/bad about this?

http://www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com/
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    This is not correct. Towing IS NOT RECOMMENDED for the FEH. What this means is that if you tow, and you have a problem with the vehicle that Ford decides to say is related to the towing then you get no warranty coverage.

DO NOT expect to use the FEH to tow.

Mark
    "This is not correct. Towing IS NOT RECOMMENDED for the FEH. What this means is that if you tow, and you have a problem with the vehicle that Ford decides to say is related to the towing then you get no warranty coverage.

DO NOT expect to use the FEH to tow. "

NO, YOU ARE NOT CORRECT.

Do you even own an FEH? Pages 180 - 184 of the 2008 FEH owners guide provides the towing limits, how to calculate gross vehicle weights, suggestions on driving while towing, what to do after towing, etc. It is a pretty complete description.

One note indicates that the FEH cannot accomodate electric brakes on the trailer.

Max towing load is 1000 lbs.

Having said the above, I still do not recommend that people tow with the FEH - get the ICE Escape V6 for any serious towing.
  • When i drive my car i what position must the switch be of the High-Voltage Battery Pack LOCK or UNLOCK ?

High-Voltage Shut-Off Switch Located Behind Jack Access Panel must bo ON ?

Please help i buy the car today ford escape 2005 hev.

mr_pitbull
  • I have a new 2011 FEH and even though it was my wife's idea to get it (she was tired of getting 16 around town in the van), i am now obsessed with getting the most out of the car. I understand there is a break-in period so i'm not too concerned with 29 around town and 30 on the highway yet, but i do have a question i want to ask. I have a 5-speed manual pickup truck that i throw into nuetral alot to coast down hills to get better mileage (26.5 around town). I would never do this with an automatic but i am reading that this is OK for the CVT in the FEH. Is this really the case? Also, on the interstate yesterday going down a huge mountain, i put it into N at 65 MPH and thought the car would drop into EV mode but it didn't. MPG did go up alot but i was hoping to do even better in N and get out of the gas engine. I can only assume my speed prevented this. So the two questions are:

1. Is N really OK to coast in?
    2. Was speed the reason why it didnt drop into EV mode when coasting downhill at 65mph?
  • chuck1chchuck1ch Posts: 15
    I have a 2009 FEH. I tried what you have done going to N downhill and noted the engine fires up above 40 mph. I read somewhere that the engine fires up to minimize the stress on the CVT. So in N, you are using gas to run the engine which is idling. Now if you were coasting in D downhill with the foot off the gas, I believe the engine will go to a fuel shutoff mode and freewheel being driven by the CVT.
    Somewhere this is big right up in one of the forums that explain how the powertrain works.
    Personally, leave in D and use a light foot.
    "I have a 2009 FEH. I tried what you have done going to N downhill and noted the engine fires up above 40 mph. I read somewhere that the engine fires up to minimize the stress on the CVT. So in N, you are using gas to run the engine which is idling. Now if you were coasting in D downhill with the foot off the gas, I believe the engine will go to a fuel shutoff mode and freewheel being driven by the CVT.
    Somewhere this is big right up in one of the forums that explain how the powertrain works.
    Personally, leave in D and use a light foot. "

No, the engine SPINS up, it does not use gas in this mode. It spins up so that the CVT will not have stress should the drivetrain revert to using gas/electric propulsion. It will also spin up even higher should the battery state of charge (SOC) goes above approximately 66 percent.

In Neutral, the transmission and engine are not connected. I don't recommend this in general, although I have read that some hypermilers use Neutral.
2»