Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid - Driving Tips & Tricks

13»

Comments

• I have a new 2011 FEH and even though it was my wife's idea to get it (she was tired of getting 16 around town in the van), i am now obsessed with getting the most out of the car. I understand there is a break-in period so i'm not too concerned with 29 around town and 30 on the highway yet, but i do have a question i want to ask. I have a 5-speed manual pickup truck that i throw into nuetral alot to coast down hills to get better mileage (26.5 around town). I would never do this with an automatic but i am reading that this is OK for the CVT in the FEH. Is this really the case? Also, on the interstate yesterday going down a huge mountain, i put it into N at 65 MPH and thought the car would drop into EV mode but it didn't. MPG did go up alot but i was hoping to do even better in N and get out of the gas engine. I can only assume my speed prevented this. So the two questions are:

1. Is N really OK to coast in?
    2. Was speed the reason why it didnt drop into EV mode when coasting downhill at 65mph?
  • chuck1chchuck1ch Posts: 15
    I have a 2009 FEH. I tried what you have done going to N downhill and noted the engine fires up above 40 mph. I read somewhere that the engine fires up to minimize the stress on the CVT. So in N, you are using gas to run the engine which is idling. Now if you were coasting in D downhill with the foot off the gas, I believe the engine will go to a fuel shutoff mode and freewheel being driven by the CVT.
    Somewhere this is big right up in one of the forums that explain how the powertrain works.
    Personally, leave in D and use a light foot.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    "I have a 2009 FEH. I tried what you have done going to N downhill and noted the engine fires up above 40 mph. I read somewhere that the engine fires up to minimize the stress on the CVT. So in N, you are using gas to run the engine which is idling. Now if you were coasting in D downhill with the foot off the gas, I believe the engine will go to a fuel shutoff mode and freewheel being driven by the CVT.
    Somewhere this is big right up in one of the forums that explain how the powertrain works.
    Personally, leave in D and use a light foot. "

No, the engine SPINS up, it does not use gas in this mode. It spins up so that the CVT will not have stress should the drivetrain revert to using gas/electric propulsion. It will also spin up even higher should the battery state of charge (SOC) goes above approximately 66 percent.

In Neutral, the transmission and engine are not connected. I don't recommend this in general, although I have read that some hypermilers use Neutral.
13»