Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid Driving Tips & Tricks

Comments

• jph3006jph3006 Posts: 49
    Please describe how the vehicle drives being a hybrid, I would enjoy reading your obervations. Thanks
  • rysa4rysa4 Posts: 9
    There isnt a miles remaining visual but it is very easy to track. Use either trip A or trip B for your current tank. It will show your total miles and your average MPG for that tank. Multiply by 12 x your average MPG. Thats the conservative total mileage you can go on one tank. Subtract the current mileage you have driven on the tank. The difference is what you have left.

This gives an extra .4 gallons in the tank. Also on the fuel indicator when the gas tank light comes on you are supposed to have two gallons left, or another 90-100 miles amazingly.
  • The only difference I find between a Hybrid and a regular Civic is the horsepower and getting accustomed to the auto start/stop feature. The auto start is a bit awkward at first; when you remove your foot from the brake, the car instantly restarts. There's really no delay; however, the slight ignition sensation takes some getting used to. While not as fast as other vehicles, it's fun to drive and will get you 50 MPG (my current gas consumption).
  • cdoldcdold Posts: 34
    "The only difference I find between a Hybrid and a regular Civic is the horsepower and getting accustomed to the auto start/stop feature. "

I don't agree. I find the Honda Civic LX with 4 speed auto to be noisy and poor accelerating in the city by comparison to my 2003 HCH.

Because of the CVT, the HCH glides from a stop, and never has the sound of a struggling little four cylinder pulling at uncomfortably low RPM against an automatic transmission.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    "Because of the CVT, the HCH glides from a stop, and never has the sound of a struggling little four cylinder pulling at uncomfortably low RPM against an automatic transmission."

If your Civic ICE was running in low RPM, then you don't understand Honda engineering.
  • I'll have to disagree with the warm-up comment.
    The engine consumes a comparatively large amount of fuel cold vs warmed up.
    I park heading-out (Backed in) to avoid the extra load on the engine right after starting cold.
    In fact I keep load as light as possible. For example I could park right next to the exit gate at work. I'd start up, drive a few feet to the gate, then drive .2 miles uphill to a traffic light.

Instead I park on the 2nd to the top level of the deck. I start, put in D, nudge a little gas to get her rolling, then switch to N. (This is 2:30AM and the lot is vacant for safety). I'll roll @ about 3-5MPH down 3 levels of ramps, still in N until I get to the gate, then shut her down.
    Leaving the gate I roll in N again on an abandoned street about .1 miles where I get onto the regular road then baby it for the first 5-10 miles.

Yes I know this is quite extreme but I get quite extreme results from my efforts. My last tank figures:
    Beginning 69,676
    Ending 70,659
    983 miles
    Pumped 13.79g to the rim
    71.28MPG

Gotta baby that engine in warmup for maximum efficiency and makes a big difference.
  • roundtriproundtrip Posts: 105
    Sounds like you love a challenge and are making the most out of your purchase. Do you think you could get much higher?
  • Thank you roundtrip.
    I'm going for a 1,000 mile tank this time before cooler weather sets in. I missed it last time by 17 miles!
    So far I've traveled 643 miles and have 1/2 tank left so I have a pretty good shot at it. Dash says 70.8MPG for those miles.
    Wish me luck!
    2004 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT
    -Steve
  • pmzpmz Posts: 26
    Do you carry a gallon of gas around with you so you can utilize every drop of gas?
  • We picked up our '06 Civic a few days ago, and are getting used to how the car works. We're looking for some clarification on when (if) the car operates in battery only mode. For example, the Prius will back up or go at low speeds in battery only, with the gas engine completely off. Our Civic engine is always on (except for auto shut off with foot on brake at a stoplight). My car salesperson at the dealer does not know if the car operates in battery only mode, and in doing some looking online, there is a surprising amount of confusion if the car has this feature or not. So, can anyone clarify? Do you back out of your garage, for example, with the gas engine off, or pull down your subdivision street with the gas engine off? Or, is the IMA strictly for 'assist' of the gas engine, and it never operates in battery only mode? Thanks.
  • Much has been written on your question in previous posts but the answer remains the same.

Under certain circumstances the '06HCH will run in the battery only mode at speeds of less than 30mph but only for a very short distance, 1/2 mile would be exceptional, 1/4 mile is more likely.

The trick is to manipulate the accelerator to around 40-50mph then deaccelerate to slightly under 30mph and watch for the MPG Indicator to max out at 100 and hold steady. You will then know you're in the battery mode. Every time i've tried it usually kicks in at 25mph. You'll hear a thud like sound when the engine reverts to the gasoline mode and the MPG Indicator will drop.

It has long been my opinion that Honda's claim about the battery only mode is technically correct but misleading, the effect on FE is minimal.
  • davem7davem7 Posts: 35
    I've found two ways to reduce fuel consumption with my '06 HCH, both involve reduction of idling time..

At the auto car wash it typically takes 10-15 minutes to complete the transaction and drive off, depending of course on how many vehicles are ahead of you in line. Once the car is on the rolling rack and in neutral I shut the ignition switch off until the car is off the rack. I then restart the car, pull it outside, and shut it off again while the attendants wipe it dry by hand.

The practice has two benefits: it reduces fuel wasted idling, and second it reduces the amount of pollutants that the car wash personnel are exposed to. The manager at the car wash says i'm the only person that she is aware of who follows this practice but concedes it is a good idea.

The other fuel saving tip is, weather permitting, if it is necessary to wait several minutes at a railroad grade crossing, I shut the engine off until the train passes
  • jmu2jmu2 Posts: 2
    Has anyone felt that the Hybrid Civic just does not have the acceleration it should, I do realize that it is not meant to be a sports car but I feel that it has virtually no pickup. Secondly has anyone checked the 0-60 time and just curious has anyone been able to hit 106mph ;)
  • jmu2jmu2 Posts: 2
    Has anyone else experienced a dramatic decrease in MPG with cold weather?
    I live in Chicago and my gas mileage dropped from over 43MPG in the summer to 38MPG in the cold weather.

Is there anything I can do to better my gas mileage in the winter.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Has anyone felt that the Hybrid Civic just does not have the acceleration it should, I do realize that it is not meant to be a sports car but I feel that it has virtually no pickup.

What other cars do you normally drive (or did you drive before getting your hybrid)?

It should be noted (for your sake) that Car and Driver recorded 0-60 MPH at 10.8 sec. for a full battery charge, 12.3 sec for a partial charge.

Similarly, a Civic LX Manual Transmission model made the same run in 7.7 seconds.

The basic Civic is pretty quick, the hybrid is just, well, not.
  • "To allow "Econ" to be used, the procedure above is exactly the same, but you hold all 3 buttons in for step 4 until the Econ blinks."

I don't understand what you mean by the last part. What is the three-button setup that you mention, verses the two-button setup?
  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 11
    I just picked up my 2007 HCH, replacing my 2004 HCH, and the pickup is quite good. Then again, I bought it for the fuel economy not to pass that Mazaratti in the next lane. The bump up from 85HP to 110HP is noticeable, however.
  • Has anyone experienced the following potential problem. I recently bought a 2007 Civic Hybrid and, as expected, when I stop at a stop light, the auto stop engages. Well, it was doing that until the last 3 days. Anytime I stop at a stop light or stop for any prolonged period of time (while on "D"), the auto stop doesn't engage so I'm idling like a normal gas only car.

Before I bring it into the dealership, I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem and what it might be?

Thank you in advance.
  • 46jimbo46jimbo Posts: 12
    The auto stop feature doesn't work when you have the defrost on. This is indicated in the manual. However, in addition to this, auto stop also won't work if you have selected the ventilation mode where the air blows to your feet and to the windshield.

I took my Civic to the dealer when the auto stop stopped working and it's there that this was noticed. Personally, I think this is a glitch that should be fixed in a software update. I understand why it doesn't work when you press the defrost button. The AC comes on and the fan runs at full speed. But in the above mentioned ventilation mode, no extra resources are called upon.
  • sfilersfiler Posts: 1
    Test drove a 2007 HCH and average mile indicator on instrument cluster only reached 32. Dealer said it was due to car not being broke in yet, which takes 5,000 miles. Any comments or suggestions?

Sue
This discussion has been closed.