Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 400h: Driving Tips & Tricks

13»

Comments

• breckboundbreckbound Member Posts: 1
    I am considering either a RX350 AWD, or 400h AWD, and am wondering if anyone has had practical experience in the mountains and in snow with the 400h. Two questions: 1) how well does the brake function on the 400h work on downgrades, switchbacks, where it is desireable to maintain speed at 10mph without using brakes? Can it be used similar to low gear/engine braking on a standard AWD?

2) how does the 400h AWD behave on snowy roads, for example during storms? does it deliver "real" AWD traction?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I wouldn't be too concerned. The gas engine gets you underway with FWD and the electric motor (rear) merely provides assist upon initial acceleration. Hardly heavy duty at all."

There have been a lot of complaints that the system is not always proactive enough, but the 400h is capable of using only electric energy and electric motors for initial acceleration.

If Toyota themselves publish a "no off-road warning", it would be wise to obey. Especially if the same statement is in the owner's manual, or in the warranty statement.
  • chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    In the beginning of this thread (in 2005), a poster by the name of Headless was concerned with low mileage with their non-broken in 400h. After a couple weeks of mileage concerns, no follow up postings came (after break-in period). If you are still out there and still have your 400h, did you mileage improve?
  • chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    It seems a lot of people are getting mileage close to the EPA rating, which is great. Besides many of the reasons given for high and low mileage, I'll also mention altitude. Vehicles (even a hybrids gas engine) get much better mileage at higher altitudes. Say 5,000 above sea level versus sea level. The offset being a lower hp rating. One of my vehicles, a 2003 Chevy Avalanche, has a 5.3 liter V8 and used to get 18mpg at 65mph in Illinois. Now in Montana (5,000f.a.s.l.) I get 20 - 21mpg at 65mph.

Also, to address those that complain that Lexus (or any Make) don't put accurate mileage numbers on the sticker, you are complaining about the wrong entity. It is not the manufactures that do the rating. Though they may tailor a car to get high ratings for the specific EPA test, it is the EPA and it's rating system you see. Put the rating blame where it belongs. ;) Has anyone ever read the 'city' and 'highway' testing method? VERY non-real-world testing. Hopefully new testing methods will align the ratings to more realistic numbers. That being said, I always think it amusing when people say "I should not have to baby this vehicle to get great mileage." Or "It's a sporty car. It should get that mileage even when driven that way." That is just silly talk. Like people complaining about gas prices and then driving 10mpg vehicles, or driving 85mph. Of course you use a lot of gas.

Hybrids are not immune to wasteful driving habits. If you choose to drive 'spirited' or 75mph, so be it, but don't complain you are not getting 40mpg. We all have to take responsibility for our driving habits and choices and be realistic on how those choices impact actual mileage. Those ratings are mainly there as a form of comparison at this point. You may likely not get those same numbers, but at least we have a form of comparing one vehicle to another, so that is better than nothing.
  • jmoondoggiejmoondoggie Member Posts: 1
    I have an RX400h hybrid, and because I am showing a 'Check Hybrid System' message, I am prevented from starting the vehicle. I obviously don't have the mechanic's laptop to plug in under the dash and reset the message, so I need to know if there is any other trick to bypass the error message.

I believe there is some sequence of locking and unlocking the door manually with the key that allows me to start it. I saw this once done from a mechanic, but forgot the procedure.

I understand the risks, but it would take up too much space here to explain my predicament. Any help would be appreciated.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..get much better mileage at higher altitutes.."

???

"..the offset being a lower HP rating.."

Unless you have one hell of a high level of wind drag then consistently driving your 5.3 liter V8 at 65 MPH it MUST consume more fuel at 5000 feet elevation vs at sea level. HP = HP.

As a rule internal combustion engines consume more fuel at higher altitutes. Less oxygen in the atmosphere so engines must work harder, more friction, to reach an equal level of HP production.

Recreational vehicle gensets must often be re-jetted, larger jets to provide more fuel flow, in order to run with a full load, or to support A/C startup surge loads, at higher elevations.

Montana....less traffic to content with....improved FE...??

Over-inflated or new tires...??

Could also have something to do with the non-linear torque curve of your 5.3L.
  • linlex_08linlex_08 Member Posts: 1
    hi - i just purchased a used 08 400h...and i love it (compared to my v8 Jeep Grd Cheeroke). it has 55K miles. the dash emergency monitor is helpful in letting me know when i'm using too much gas. however, i confused about the battery usage, recharging. Any suggestions as to what I should look for?
This discussion has been closed.