Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who plans on keeping their Corolla for 200K+ miles?

Comments

• bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    I was on my way home after work yesterday and I noticed the AC wasn't blowing cold air, then I noticed the temp gauge was in the red. I immediately pulled over on the shoulder of the road and opened the hood. There are two electric fans behind the radiator. One of the motors was coming loose from it's mount in the fan housing and the fan blade assembly was completely off the motor's shaft. There was a rock wedged between one of the blades on the other fan and the housing, so it also wasn't turning at all. When I removed the rock I noticed it was wobbley when I spun the fan and it appeared to be on the verge of failure as well. Luckily there was a Goodyear shop within about a half a mile, so after it cooled down I drove it there. It looks like it's going to be Monday or Tuesday before they can get replacement parts to fix it so I had to get a rental. The way I look at it, I paid cash for the car 2.5 years ago, I've put 80K miles on it since (it now has 149K), and this is the first problem I've had with the car. It's probably going to cost me somewhere between one to two car payments for the repairs and the car rental. That's pretty cheap in my book. No matter how well a vehicle is built and maintained, when you put as many miles as I do on them, things are going to wear out. I'm looking forward to seeing 300K with this car!
  • My Corolla is a 1995 basic four door model. It has been in a bad accident, looks terrible outside, but is running good. I was driving along thinking what a beautiful day and then my car was pulling to the right and I tried to hard to compensate for that and all I remember next is the air bag deflating and fumes from it and the car had stopped.

Once I was sure I had not died I looked around and found out that my car went to the left of the highway I was driving and plowed through barb wire fencing taking out several t posts and the car had turned around and was facing the highway on the other side of the fence. What happened I learned later was that my back rear tire and completely came off the rim.

Being on Social Security Disability Income I have little choice but to keep this car running as long as I can. I could never afford to make payments again so I do the best that I can.

Have been told that this car should run for at least up to 250,000 miles or more. I also read that the 1995 models were the best Toyota Corolla's built.

Over the years I have done all the basic things and kept up maintenance up to this time. The oil engine is as clean as when I first bought it brand new. The Triple A loves me as only five times in the last 12 1/2 years since I got this car I have had to use it. Two times was the battery, two times was tire trouble and one time the alternator.

My favorite of the Toyota's was my little FX. I loved that car, but it was having some major electrical problems, probably why they do not make them anymore.

My recommendation is that if you are a women that drives a lot alone, the Toyota is the most reliable car one can get. You just do not want to get stranded.

Liane
  • marlo1marlo1 Posts: 4
    I recently gave my 1998 Corolla LX to my dad because I purchased a larger vehicle this year (this was my second Corolla, the first one was brought in 1988.) I swear that car was my friend :shades: It rarely gave me any trouble, and I drove it hard and everywhere. When I hand it over to my dad it had 165k and it's still kicking. Luckily, I also have a good mechanic. If the Corolla wasn't so small and a bit more stylish, I would of brought another one.
  • I have just over 218,000 miles on my 1995. Normal service. Oil changes every 3k. Manual trans with original clutch and struts. No problems, just started acting up with the clutch and struts. Only issue I have had is replacing the alternator every 2 years or so. Replaced with Autozone (lifetime warranty) and they just give me a new one each time. Been to Toyota dealers and eveything is solid on the car. Timing belts replaced and normal maint. Red toyota of those years just fade..the paint that is. I have not found an original that hasn't had paint fade with the red.
    I love it! I am debating just putting a new engine, struts and clutch in in the coming months.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    You say putting in a new engine - what's wrong with the old? Clutch, I asssume slipping?
    My '99 with 160K miles has just started to need some maintenance this year, besides just the usual fluids and filter changes. Both electric cooling fans (on the radiator) needed to be replaced back in May ($400), I just had to put a new set of tires on a couple of weeks ago, and now I have to replace the front stablizer bar links as they're making a clunking sound when I ecounter bumps in the road. This is only going to cost me about $110 for parts and labor. The car is still costing me way less than I'd be paying if I were making car payments and it's still very reliable. The engine uses no more than 1/2 qt of oil between 6K mile changes which is excellent. I see this car easily sailing past 200K, and 300K is not out of the question. I guess I'll find out.
    My '99 with 104K miles is doing fine. The only problem I have is my A/C compressor has a small leak, so I have been recharging it about once a year for the last 3 years. Only costs me about $20 to recharge it, and it takes me 20 minutes or less.

Uses little to no oil, and I have just changed the coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid (ABS brakes), plugs, air filter, PCV, cleaned throttle body, and replaced thermostat (just because it is old, was not causing any problems).

Nothing ever done that was not routine, except I had to replace the blower motor at around 70k miles - cost me $50 and about a half hour of my time.

Good to hear yours is doing well also!
    Mine is a 5 speed manual, but if you have an auto, have you been getting the tranny flushed? This will greatly prolong the life of your tranny. Don't confuse flushing with draining because it's not the same thing. Draining only replaces about 1/3 to 1/2 of your tranny's fluid (the rest stays in your torque converter and can't be drained), while having it flushed replaces ALL the fluid. This should be done every 30K miles.
    I have an LE 5 speed manual (rare!). I changed the tranny oil at around 60k miles.
    My stick is also an LE. Does your LE have the gold badging?
    No, but I have the rocker panels, white-faced instruments & alloy wheels - venetian red pearl color.

The alloys still look good, as does the rest of the car - waxing 3x per year and washing at least 2x per month, or more if it gets road salt on it.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Where in the manual does Toyota refer to flushing the transmission every 30,000 miles?
    It probably doesn't, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done. Tranny fluid breaks down over time and miles and that's what contributes to many premature transmission failures. Keep good fluid in your tranny and it will last A LOT longer. It's really a no-brainer. My Mazda MPV manual doesn't say anything about changing the fluid......ever! Any bonehead knows that's not gonna cut it!
    This "bonehead" got an "86" five speed manual Tercel with 158,000 miles on it never did a dam thing to the transmission, including adding fluid because it didn't need it, and the whole car still runs great. Other than the tranny the car is well taken care of. Clutch replaced once at 98,000 miles. Oil changed every 3,000 miles. But I understand what you are saying, it's best not to take any chances.
    Bottgers is saying to replace AUTOMATIC tranny fluid, not manual.

As stated before, I replaced my manual tranny oil at 60k, and probably won't do it again until 160k. If I had an automatic, I'd replace the fluid a lot more often.
    I'm only talking about auto trannies. Manual trannies are all together different. For one thing, they don't have tranny fluid in them, they have oil. The oil should also be changed, but I think the maintenance schedule only calls for it to be changed every 60K miles or so. Manual trannies are much more forgiving when it comes to fluid changes. I've known people who have put literally hundreds of thousands of miles on their manuals without ever changing the oil with no problems at all. Auto trannies aren't that forgiving. My '99 Corolla has 160K miles on it and the tranny oil has only been changed once and it still has the original clutch and is doing fine. If it had an auto tranny I'd be getting it flushed every 30K religously.
    No, in message #106 he was indeed referring to manual transmissions and that was the message my reply was for. My point was that manual trannys are "more forgiving" as he states, and I agree as my old car is a very good example.
    The "he" who posted that was me and I was referring to auto trannies. Re-read my post. I mentioned "tranny fluid" more than once in that post and manual trannies don't use tranny fluid.
    "My Mazda MPV manual doesn't say anything about changing the fluid......ever! Any bonehead knows that's not gonna cut it!"

Wasn't this bonehead remark made to those who don't change their manual transmission ever? Again, this is where my reply was referring.
    He means owners manual, and he said fluid, meaning automatic tranny. I don't think an MPV is even available with a manual.

Just trying to clear up a little mis-understanding. :D
    Gottcha! But, the first three years of the Mazda MPV were available with manual transmissions and Bottgers does state in message #101 and #108 that his was indeed one of those manual transmission equipped models. Thanks anyway for explaining his intentions.
    Why are you so hung up on this? I told you I was talking about automatic transmissions ONLY. Are you calling me a liar? Are you just looking for an argument? Let it go dude! And for the record I never said my MPV was a manual. Why would I say that when it's an automatic?
    No argument dude! Just pointing out your contradictions. Don't want anyone to get false information.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's move on, please. This isn't an MPV discussion anyway. ;)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,690
    that I hope to keep for 200K miles. Everything about that car makes me think it will make it without even breaking a sweat. No repairs at all so far, still on the original clutch, 107K miles, runs regular as clockwork.

I also have a (Corolla) Matrix, which at a mere 22K miles has already had two warranty repairs. On this car I have changed my tune. I think that just being a Corolla it has decent odds of making it to high mileage territory, but the car itself has me wondering, doubting...it just feels a little flimsy to last 200K miles, and the two repairs it has already needed cast doubt on its potential for longevity....which has me thinking I might not plan on keeping it long enough to see if it will make 200K....

But we will see. Perhaps it will go the next three years without any further trouble. I will be keeping it at least that long.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I never contradicted myself because I never said anything about changing the oil in manual trannies (until I apparently I had the clarify myself for you). It was a complete misunderstanding on your part (or you just can't comprehend what you read).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Enough, please. We've had a misunderstanding about something not even related to the subject. It's time now to get back on topic.
  • I bought my '92 Corolla used from another student about 3 years ago, with 160k on the clock, for 500 bux. Since then, have been taking religious car of it, spent about $2k on maintenance over the past 3 years. I change the oil every 3k miles, use whatever my local mechanic recommends. I'm currently at 195k miles, and plan on reaching 200k sometime early next year. After 200k, I've decided to only spend money on scheduled maintenance, and will put up with any "annoying" maintenance issues, ie rattling windows, rust, etc. I figured I'll have gotten my money's worth out of it, and will see how long it will last. The car has been very trustworthy. The biggest problem I've had was replacing a timing belt that blew at 190k, and even that didn't do any damage to the engine. When I took it in for a tuneup, found that it still had the original factory sparkplug wires! I'm sure the car's body will give out before the mechanicals will, as it's already started to rust badly. Here's the car itself: The Beige Beast
    ...I wish this car had manual windows. These power window assemblies are just horribly designed. Both of the windows on the driver's side of my car operate unreliably. They always go down without a problem (of course), but they don't always go back up, so I can't use them at all. I don't know why it seems that none of the car companies can build reliable power window assemblies. I really wish I could get a Corolla with all the power stuff and manual windows. Unfortunately they just don't make them that way (or at least finding a used one equipped that way is impossible). That's the only real major complaint I have about this car.
    No problem with my '99's windows, but I seldom use them. The power lock on the driver's side just stopped working, but I'm not going to bother fixing it, since I still can unlock it with the key and lock it by pushing down the button.